We're going to Spain! Or are we?

Submitted into Contest #36 in response to: In the form of diary/ journal entries, write about someone on a long-awaited trip.... view prompt

10 comments

Holiday Funny Drama

Dear Diary,                 Friday

Today we had boring school again. But guess what!!!! Mum just told us that we were planning to visit Aunt Lynn in Spain! The last time since I saw Aunt Lynn was when I was seven. Nine years had already passed, and long before I had turned true sixteen. My sweet sixteen billowed away gently and Aunt Lynn hadn't come to it. As a pang of disappointment and hurt hit me, I realized that she wouldn't come for my sweet sixteen. "When are we going to Spain?" I ask excitedly. Mum is washing the dishes when she smiles.

"Next week. I can't hardly wait. It's been so long since I've met my darling sis."

I knew it must be hard for Mum. With grandfather leaving us for good and grandmother in the hospital for arthritis, her life wasn't smooth. With a fussy daughter and a seven year old grumpy son, she had nothing to look forward to. At least now, after years she too, was going to meet her very own sister. As far as I heard, Mum always gabbled about her sister and childhood times.

 

Dear Diary,                Saturday

I know it's kinda crazy to write in diaries. They're for stupid youngsters. But I can't help not telling this to someone. I don't know who else to express my excitement to! Just one more day until we fly to Spain! We have an assignment Mr. Jeremy asked us to do about Spain's history. It's due on the first. That means I can ask Aunt Lynn! Tonight, Mum cuddles up with us, strangely in a light and happy mood. "Can we have a story?" Kevin wails.

I roll my eyes dramatically and head to the kitchen to grab some bubble tea. Dad enters with us, his usual solemn face that he reserved for work now emptied and ballooned up. He looks jolly as he plonks over my bed. "Now kids, don't ask about Uncle Ed." he warns, glancing at Mum who makes a worried face.

"Why not?" Kevin asks.

"They divorced recently. When someone mentions Eddie, she bursts into tears and turns grumpy." Mum explains, sighing.

"You mean she can't get over him?" I ask cheekily.

Mum frowns at me and takes a shaky sip out of my tea. "Natalie!" she cries.

Dear Diary,               Sunday

Oh my god!!!! I can hardly wait!!! It's like, just tomorrow till we're flying to Spain! Wow, I sound like a jumpy, hyper kid. But seriously, what's more exciting than meeting an aunt whom you've never seen for nine years!!!??? Today afternoon, at English, Mum picks Kevin and I early from school. "We gotta pack honey. We're leaving for the airport tonight." Mum says.

There's a exciting jolt around the bottom of my navel. At home, I dump all my clothes into a blue Suitcase and help Kevin fold his clothes. Mum and Dad heave all our luggage into a taxi.


We climb into the back seat and I play silly games with Kevin. Soon, we all doze off and when the car pulls up on the parking road airport, we jerk awake and can't wait to go to Spain.

We cash up the driver and stock into one of the doors, pushing large metal trolleys into the airport. Dad and Mum queue up in the baggage drop aisle and give us money to buy burgers. I clutch Kevin and we run to BurgerMeUp to get chicken burgers.

Soon, my parents get the tickets for the flight. We're one of the early birds. We always make sure to arrive five hours before the flight in case anything happens. We have three more hours before boarding the plane. We catch up at a restaurant. Strings of flower are draped artistically along the entrance. A soft, jazzy tune is playing among the busy crowds of bustle. We decide to take a table at the back, so there is less noise.

We're waiting for the food. I notice brown, stained tables and cracked dusty walls. Waiters approach tables and staff glide towards deserted, messy tables with overflowing food and finished up drinks.

We finally get our pizza and while munching, Dad jumps up in horror. "Oh no! I think we left our hand baggage in the taxi!" he yells, looking frantically around.

The hand baggage belongs to Mum. It holds all our antiques and precious presents for Aunt Lynn. We're so doomed.

"Is there any way to contact the driver?" Mum asks nervously.

Dad nods. "I got his contact. Let's try." he says quickly, jamming up his phone. He's cursing under his breath every minute while Mum, too worried to scold him, is crossing fingers and leaving her plate of past untouched.

Finally Dad can call him, and Mum shushes all of us anxiously. Dad sighs and swears. Kevin giggles and slowly copies it. Mum frowns heavily at Dad and I have to pinch Kevin to shut up.

"He says that he's picking up a couple right now. He's dropping them off at Avenue Road which'll take an hour. He doesn't even know that we left luggage in the boot. He can only come in two hours." Dad sighs.

Mum shrugs. "We've got two hours exact. How about we quickly gobble up this food, and then I'll take the kids to wait at the waiting arena to board the flight. I'll probably drop them off with a doughnut or something, then I'll join you."

Dad nods. He quickly slams up a spoonful of pasta and rushes to the treat store. He gets us doughnuts stuffed with marshmallows, and rushes us to the waiting area for Flight 45.

I sigh and we perch nervously on a seat. I pluck out my phone and start to text my friends, not before I get a call from Mum.

She sounds breathless. "The driver's coming in a few minutes. Grab your passports and hand luggage to get ready 'kay?"

Soon enough, Mum and Dad wheel their suitcases in just right on time. Did we miss our flight?

Nah, it was just one of our typical family vacations.

April 10, 2020 07:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Nirosha P
07:51 Jul 07, 2020

Amazing story!!!! But I love the ending but l feel like the ending sort of didn't go with the story. The story was about meeting Aunt Lynn but the ending sort off was about the emergency... But other than that great story!!! :)

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
08:02 Jul 07, 2020

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and drop off feedback, it's very much appreciated! Actually, I meant for this story to have this comedy sort of genre. I haven't written a comedy based story before, so I thought I'd write one. However, thanks for voicing out your opinions! Have a great day!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lavanya Saxena
11:20 Jul 08, 2020

I adore your story! An idea of doing it as a diary was creative! Looking forward for more.

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
12:43 Jul 08, 2020

Thank you so much Lavanya!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Murali Narkunam
13:49 Jun 20, 2020

Hahahha like the last statement!

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
02:05 Jun 21, 2020

I'm glad you liked my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L. M.
23:22 May 19, 2020

You did a good job showing the emotions in this story.

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
01:20 May 20, 2020

Thank you so much Lara! Means a lot to me. :)

Reply

L. M.
02:52 May 20, 2020

You're welcome. :)

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
03:01 May 20, 2020

😀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.