1 comment

Science Fiction

Today is Monday, I woke up today and nobody was home. I walked around the house yelling for my family but the only one that came was my dog. That was odd. Nobody said that they were going to leave the house today. I sent a few messages and waited for a response for thirty minutes. When nobody replied, I called their phones but nobody answered. I decided to wait for them to get home. I waited the whole day and cleaned the house while I waited but I decided to just go to sleep. When I woke up on Tuesday morning, I checked if they had come home but the house was still very quiet except for my dog and when I walked around it was empty. Now I was very worried, so I decided to go to the police station to file a missing persons report because it had been 24 hours. I got in the car and drove and there was something weird but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. Until I realized that the streets were empty. Nobody was driving, nobody was biking, and nobody was walking. So I continued my drive to the police station extremely weirded out. I got there and went inside, only to see that the station was completely empty. Was there a huge event happening somewhere that I wasn’t aware about? I kept on driving around town and I saw nothing. I went home and cried because I was scared. I didn’t know what to do but my dog was with me so that helped me calm down. I felt a lot better after crying and I just ended up watching TV until I fell asleep. On Wednesday, I went to the store and got a bunch of junk food and took it home. I had a movie marathon with my dog for the entire day and then I went to sleep because I didn’t know what else to do. On Thursday, I woke up and decided that I would go and drive past the town because I wondered if surrounding cities and towns were empty like mine is.

It was Monday morning and I woke up craving pancakes and instead of making them I went out to get them. I walked to the restaurant that is two streets away from my house. But I noticed that the streets were empty. I kept walking and when I reached the restaurant, I walked in and it was empty. Is it closed? If it was closed then the door would have been locked. So, I left and I went to the cafe around the corner and it was also empty. Why is everything empty? Is it a holiday? I walked back home and just ate what I had in the fridge. I turned on the news and there was nobody there either. Now, I’m starting to get freaked out. I wonder if something I ate was bad and now I’m tripping out and imagining things or hallucinating. I decided to just go to sleep and see what happened tomorrow. On Tuesday I woke up and went to my neighbors house. How did it not occur to me to check if they were home. I looked through the window and saw that it was empty. I knocked and ringed their doorbell for thirty minutes before I broke their window and went inside. If they were home then this would be very hard to explain and I felt guilty before I kept going. It looked like they had just disappeared. I took their car keys and got into their car because I didn’t have one myself. I drove around the town and saw that nobody was outside. So, it wasn’t just my block. I decided to just go home and eat. I turned on the news again hoping that somebody would be there. But nobody was there and I just went to sleep. I woke up on Wednesday and realized that I could do whatever I wanted and there would be no consequences. So, I went to different stores and took everything I wanted. I looked over at the security cameras and thought about paying but remembered that there were no cashiers and nobody was going to look at the footage. I came back home with clothes, jewelry, food, and anything that caught my eye. On Thursday, I decided to go to the mall in the neighbouring city because I wanted to get more things for myself.

It was Thursday, and they both were driving on the Freeway. They drove for an hour until they saw each other from a distance. Confusion was clearly seen on both of their faces. They both sped up and immediately stopped as soon as their cars were close. They both got out of their cars and met in the middle. Then they simultaneously started asking a bunch of questions which created even more confusion. The first girl went back to her car to get her dog. And in those few seconds, they were both able to calm down. So, they started calmly asking questions. Where is everybody? How come you are here too? I thought I was the only one left? Neither of them had answers to any of the questions. But they decided that they were going to spend their time together since they seemed to be the only ones left. The second girl still wanted to go to the mall and get whatever she wanted so that’s where they went. And the first girl realized that if they were the last people left then there really were no consequences. But she still wanted to continue searching because if she was able to find her then it was possible that there were other people still out there. At least now they both knew that they weren’t completely alone and they had each other. Maybe they wouldn’t lose their minds as long as they had each other.


May 01, 2020 03:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

18:35 May 07, 2020

Nice job Judith. I loved haw you described how nobody was outside!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.