the time travelling student

Submitted into Contest #38 in response to: Write a story about someone who finds a magical portal in their home. ... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy

‘Wake up you lazy sloth, you’re late for school’ cried my unorganised mum who’s job it is to wake me up in the first place. Its not my fault that she wants to skive her very few household duties. Thanks to her I am now at the hands of our vicious headmaster who punishes people at will. Its like he doesn’t even care about any of us except for the old and grumpy science teacher who I am pretty sure he fancies.


As I dragged my bruised body to our disgusting house. My disgusting mum awaited me with her disgusting vegetable soup where she asked how my day was. I found this extremely frustrating as I was bruised everywhere and had blood dripping out of my nose and yet for some obscure reason she thinks there is a chance my day went well. So I shouted at her to mind her own business and that I never wanted to talk to her again. She then hit me where I was venerable, I faced any kids worst punishment possible, she banned me from my electronics. Immediately I kneeled down before her where I begged for mercy. When none was speared I launched my self into a fit I stomped up our mouldy and screechy staircase and moaned and cried after I Got tired of moaning I retreated to my tiny room where I hid under my bed sulking.


After about an hour I realised pieces of plaster were peeling off the wall that I was lying next to as any child would be I was curious and so I continued to peel at it until eventually a largish hole started to appear. I was even more curious now, after another few minutes of removing plaster from the walls I could make out a metal tunnel only just big enough to crawl through. The tunnel was dark and cold so much that it sent a chill up my body when I made bare contact with it. Now things were getting interesting I crawled through it until I came upon a piece of writing engraved upon the walls of the vent, it said, the gateway lies close to hear but to enter you must face your fear. What on earth does that mean face your fear to reach a gateway my only fear is of spi… I couldn’t even finish my sentence when a herd of fury blood thirsty spiders scuttled towards me at a great pace fear spread though my nerves I became helpless my body went into a state of paralysis my body refused to move my only chance of survival now was to stay still and be quite and pray they ignore me. So I did just that. I felt ones furry hair brush my warm face I hated spiders ever since I was little and got bitten by one and almost died.


Finally they all passed by and I was able to continue my exploration of the mysterious vent. Blisters started to appear all over my hands from the constant irritation they faced while moving on my hands and knees. The metal made a squeaking noise every time I placed a hand down. The further I went the more scared I got, the fear of getting stuck or getting lost overtook me like a dangerous plague. The deeper I got the more the fear spread, at this point I almost gave in and told myself I would only go five minutes more down the tunnel.


Suddenly a hum filled my ears I felt as if I was about to faint then a weird looking seal emerged out of the dark. I heaved it open. My feet fell beneath me and I slipped down into a steep drop. There was a ladder nailed against the wall so I reached out to it and held onto it with all my might, eventually I gained steadiness and continued my decent into the unknown. The hum grew every step down the ladder I took.  

 

Lights appeared out of nowhere and I became emerged in a computer booth home to more controls than you could imagine. There were leavers and buttons everywhere. I saw one switch that stood out, a big red one. I should have known not to pull a switch that is red and bigger than all of the others but I was foolish, I pulled the switch down with no hesitation, nothing happened how could this be. Was it broken I wondered.then a cloud of galaxy textured mist appeared in the middle of the control room then I saw a screen light up with dates scattered all over it. Oh gosh, thoughts came rushing to my mind I became aware of an impossible possibility. Surely not, it can not be. Its a teleportation device this is the coolest thing to ever happen to me. Oh, it can’t be because it only has dates on it and no places. It must be a time travel machine, it would be the only explanation for its dates and controls. I am going to the past! Oh its all making sense now, the gateway is near, the gateway must be the portal!


So after a while I decided to test it and I typed a date into the screen. The portal expanded giving me a blurry view of my destination now all I had to do was walk into the portal. I did it slightly cautious as it was pretty terrifying but I still did it


Prehistoric era,

As I got flung across the ground I looked back to see the portal slowly closing, panic rose as I began to stumble to my feat, I ran as fast as I could but the portal closed before my very eyes. It's hopeless, I will never get home now I should never of tried the machine out. The scorching sun beamed down on me making me feel dizzy and unaware. Everything was huge it was as if everything around me had been enlarged by a great scale. I had travelled to a place all young children wish to explore, I had travelled to the prehistoric ages. Rooooar, my ears were deafened by the terrific roar. Some thing big was lurking in the jungle. I snook up to the nearest bush and scouted the humid landscape for threats. I reached in my pockets for my gum to saddle find out that I only had three pieces left. The earth began to shook in a rhythm slowly speeding up until eventually the earth shook so violently that I count Stand up without holding onto a bush for support. Then out of the shadows came a beast, the most feared dinosaur to ever walk the earth the t-rex. Immediately I screamed, giving away my location, it returned my call with a roar twenty times louder. During this short opening I made a quick dash for it but when the t-rex finished growling all it had to do was simply walk in order to catch me running at full speed. I ducked under branches and crawled through bushes but no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t loose it. It seemed as if it was toying with me as it could have easily killed me by now but for some reason it hadn’t. But hey I’m not complaining. I was now becoming extremely tired and I came to a waterfall about twenty metres high, this dinosaur dreamland was becoming a dinosaur nightmare. As I fell twenty metres down I screamed as loud was I could. It was so loud that probably every dinosaur around would know that I’m around to eat. When I finally landed I swam to the nearest muddy bank and pulled my self up against it.


Hummmmmm. I remember that sound that’s the time travelling machines sound. Maybe there is hope of me getting home. Perhaps, after all of the bad things I have said she forgave me and sent out some super cool soldiers to rescue me. Then suddenly I was sucked into a strong current and heard the distant voice of my worried mother. Whoosh I got slammed onto the hard flour of the control room where my mum stood looking down at me in disbelief. ‘Son what happened?’ asked mom. ‘Im so glad you're here’. Am I home?’ ‘yes you are my love’. 



Silvester aged 12

April 25, 2020 01:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Hayley Igarashi
18:38 Apr 26, 2020

"...for some obscure reason she thinks there is a chance my day went well." Hi Silvester, I'm a big fan of time travel, so I was delighted to come across your story. Your imagination is on full display here, and I think you have a gift for crafting thrilling stories with fun, sarcastic characters. Keep it up!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.