Melted, but you like that

Submitted into Contest #53 in response to: Write a story that begins with someone's popsicle melting.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance Kids Funny

The twin popsicle sat in Anya's hand, waiting to be consumed. The obnoxious orange starts to drip toward her hand, and she watched as it's sticky, sugary liquid hit her skin.

"Screw this." The young teen thought as she made her escape from the lonely little park. Anya started walking home, after dropping that stupidly insightful popsicle, but thought better of it the longer she walked.

After changing directions to the library, the only place with suitable air conditioning, it didn't take Anya too long before she saw plenty of books that would give her the company she had been craving in the first place.

She walked in and saw Remy sitting in the corner. She turned to leave but knew she was too far in and they probably noticed her by now so she would have to commit if she didn't want to look weird.

With slightly robotic movements, Anya speed-walked into a section where the other wouldn't be able to see her. 

The whole reason she had gone on this awful journey was because of Remy's pretty face and their cute little smile - that wasn't the point. The point is that she had been crushing on them since the sixth grade, when they were just figuring themselves out, and they were so bold and outgoing. Anya had always wanted to be like that, then Remy was, while also being the best thing ever and the girl didn't know how to handle it.

That's why she started to notice that Remy always went to the park to get those disgusting popsicles. So Anya was going to buy them one and maybe ask them on a little date, but now it was crystal clear that was never going to happen.

And know Remy was here, reading Anya's favorite book, right next to her favorite spot. In conclusion, she was doomed. 

What if Remy asked her opinion of the book, she was known as the book girl around the school, how was she going to not make a fool of herself! She would probably say something that Remy wouldn't agree with and then they would hate her forever.

She needed to leave and do it quickly. Maybe if she checked her phone and pretended that she had somewhere to go then she could make a run for it.

"Hey, Anya!" Remy greeted. Anya, after being shocked out of her musings, jumped and spun around quickly. She tried to send them a smile, but it came out more of a grimace. Which she knew would make her seem unattractive and mean.

"Remy, I didn't see you there!" Anya said, trying to seem casual. The smile that split onto their face almost made Anya faint.

"Well, I knew I would find you here and I was just wondering if you'd like to go to the park with me tomorrow? I know how you probably stayed cooped up in here the entire summer. So I'm making it my responsibility to get you outside!" Remy replied, talking far faster than Anya had ever known they could.

"I would love too! Where and when do you want to meet up?" Was the excited reply Remy got back. They both had stars in their eyes as that made their plans for tomorrow.

When Anya made her way home, with a book that Remy said they liked, she realized that this was like a date. Like the ones she had seen on TV and the ones she fantasizes about. 

"It can't be like that, there's no way that they like me back. Remy just pity's me for being a stupid loser and is trying to get me out in the world." Anya thought, knowing she would freak Remy out if they knew she liked them.

She had always been like this, afraid of every twist and turn. She was the stereotypical shy girl who likes to read her life away. So, why would anyone want to be a friend to someone who can't even ask for a pencil without almost crying? 

Remy deserved someone whose not afraid of her own shadow, someone so much better than her. Remy deserved the world, and how was she supposed to offer that if she was afraid of it?

She was like that popsicle from earlier, melted and sticky with a nasty flavor, something no one really wants. 

The next day, she was standing by the bus stop closest to the park. Waiting for Remy to arrive, she was mostly just overthinking everything. 

"They probably figured out how stupid it was to try and be my friend." Was the current concept piece Anya was mulling over when Remy showed up, wearing the cutest suspenders the girl had ever seen.

After a quick greeting, and Remy telling her she looked nice, they were on their way. For the entire outing, it felt like they were some cute couple wandering around. 

Anya didn't know if she could handle much more of this. 

When they got to the popsicle stand, Remy got the usual orange monster and they split it. It tasted so much better when Remy was there making her laugh with stupid little puns.

When they made it back to the bus stop, where they would go their separate ways, they both didn't know what to do. Anya's stupid brain made this hesitation look like the scene, right after a date, the two people would have a goodbye kiss. 

"I- This was really fun." Anya said, trying to break the awkward silence between them. Remy's eyes flashed up to hers for a second before going back to the ground.

"We could do it again?" Remy questioned, looking far more scared than Anya had ever seen them.

"I would love to!" Anya said far too quickly, Remy smiled with their eyes still not focused on the girl. They took a deep, calming breath before speaking.

"So does that make you my girlfriend?" Remy was definitely turning another shade as Anya's eyes widened in surprise. 

"So this had been a date, how can I be so stupid?" Anya asked herself as she silently freaked out. Why would Remy like her?

"I would, I would like that- a lot. We could do that." She rambled out, Remy looked like she had hung the stars. Anya couldn't help the smile that slowly climbed onto her face. 

Maybe being the nasty orange popsicle, that melted far to fast, was okay? Remy, her enbyfriend, seemed to like her, and those icy treats, just fine.

August 02, 2020 23:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.