Contest #193 winner 🏆

60 comments

Science Fiction Speculative Fiction

 Thornton Gombar lifted his gaze to the sky as a hovercraft zoomed over his home. Based on the rosy pink tints that adorned its exterior, Thornton surmised that the vehicle was a pleasure craft, likely filled with a small group of men and women engaging in gross debauchery as the self-driving vehicle propelled itself across the sky. The craft jerked and jolted in an arrhythmic manner as it flew to the heart of Homasoro City, where even more such activities awaited them. 

Thornton shook his head and turned his attention again to the ground. 

Before his home lay a small plot of brownish soil. He had spent the entire day clearing it of the gnarled weeds that had accumulated during decades of neglect. Only one remained. 

Thornton got on his knees and, wrapping his fingers around the base, began to pull. The weed didn't provide much resistance—immediately, a resounding 'snap' echoed through the yard as the stem broke apart. 

Thornton tossed the weed aside and stared forlornly at the spot it once sprouted. The roots were still trapped beneath the ground. If he were to leave it alone, the despicable plant would grow back and likely spread its ilk throughout the now-clean yard. 

Using his fingers and a jagged rock he found nearby, Thornton began to pick at the earth around it to create leverage for what he anticipated would be an excruciating pull. He was about to begin his efforts when he felt a shadow encompass him. 

Floating just inches from Thornton's head was an android whose appearance was akin to that of some deformed spider. Its body was white and spherical, with four sinewy appendages that sprouted from its center. 

A soft, monotonous voice wafted through the machine's speaker. "Hello, Mr. Gombar," it said. "How are you doing this fine morning?"

Thornton suppressed a groan. He hated that the thing already knew his name, but all the androids of Homasoro City, even these simple public maintenance models, were equipped with face-recognition tech. I guess I just have to get used to it, he thought. 

Thornton turned his attention back to the ground. "I'm doing just fine today, uh…" 

His voice trailed. He wanted to address the machine as 'sir' but felt awkward speaking to it as he would a man. 

The android seemed to pick up on his uncertainty. "You may address me as B-7269."

"Thanks. I'm doing just fine today, B-7269." 

Thornton grimaced as he began to pull on the submerged root. 

The android's voice struck Thornton's ears again. "Mr. Gombar—what are you doing?" 

Thornton's voice was strained as he continued to pull. "Pulling a weed."

"Why are you doing that, Mr. Gomber? You seem uncomfortable."

Thornton had to grimace to keep from rolling his eyes. "The damn thing is ugly. It's a stain on my yard. I want to start a garden here. I want to plant roses, lilies, and stuff like that. This weed here will steal their nutrients and water. I need to get rid of it."

The android reached one of its spindly arms downward. "Here. Let me help." 

Thornton waved the machine's arm away. "No need." 

A gust of air blew through clenched teeth as Thornton pulled once more. Finally, the earth broke away, and the tangled bundle of roots was released. 

Thornton sighed in relief. "See. I got it."

"Impressive."

Thornton ignored B-7269's comment and walked back into his home. When he reemerged, he carried a pre-potted rose in his arms. He took it to the front-left corner of his yard, set it beside him, and began digging into the soil with a gardening shovel. 

B-7269 hovered over to him. "Mr. Gombar—if you want a garden, all you have to do is submit a request to the Department of Public Maintenance and Satisfaction. That way, a team of androids like myself can plant the garden for you. In fact, I can file the request on your behalf. It should take two to three days for it to be fulfilled."

Beads of sweat began to drip from Thornton's brow. "That's fine," he said. "I got it."

B-7269 was insistent. "I can detect a rising level of opioid peptides in your neural tissue. Doing the work yourself is obviously causing you some pain. I would advise that you utilize the services provided by the Department of Public Maintenance and Satisfaction."

"I have arthritis. I'm used to it."

"It is my duty to ensure all citizens of Homasoro City are content and happy. My programming tells me that pain is the antithesis of happiness. If you want a garden planted on your property, we can ensure that it is done without any suffering on your part."

Thornton shook his head. "It's not a problem. I used to work in construction. Before everything became automated, I was constantly working with my hands. This is second nature to me. I actually kind of like it. It's better than being on that damned VR headset all day." 

B-7269 began to betray a hint of concern. "Are you not satisfied with the available programming? Perhaps you just haven't found anything applicable to your tastes. There are so many channels in the VR cloud that finding something specific for you can be difficult. However, if you have a few minutes to complete a short questionnaire, I can help you find something you will have a high likelihood of enjoying."

Thornton put aside his shovel and dug his fingers into the soil of the potted rose beside him. When he felt the wispy tendrils of the plant's roots brush against his skin, Thornton, his movements slow and gentle, began to pull it away from its clay barricade. 

"That's fine," he said. "I don't think I could stomach any more VR programming, to be honest. That shit depresses me like no other."

"Depression is caused by low serotonin levels," B-7269 explained. "If you ever experience the symptoms of depression again, you may request an immediate injection of synthesized serotonin as treatment. The effect on your mood would occur instantly. Ninety-eight percent of users report satisfaction with this service." 

The rose, with its accompanying mound of soil and roots, was now free of the pot in which it was previously housed. Slowly, he lowered it into the hole he had made. Then, when it settled, he shoveled the soil back into any remaining open spaces. 

"I don't think I'll need that," he finally said. 

His following words were bereft of any sincerity. "Thanks, though."

When he was done, Thornton threw the shovel down and stood up to admire his work. The pedals of the rose shone like rubies as they glistened in the white sunlight of Homasoro City. 

This is just the beginning, Thornton thought triumphantly. 

"Your serotonin levels have risen substantially," said B-7269. "During the entirety of our conversation, your levels have remained steady at fifty-two nanograms per milliliter. While within normal limits, this is still unusually low. However, they have suddenly jumped to one-hundred-and-fifty-three nanograms per milliliter."

Thornton let out a dismissive chuckle. "That's what typically happens when a man sees something beautiful."

*     *     *

When Thornton Gombar opened the front door to his home, he stumbled backward in surprise. His previously barren yard was now ornamented with a gaudy display of stone, grass, and flowers. From his front door to the street lay a stone path formed from swirly-patterned river rock that, due to the irregular pattern in which it was laid, appeared as flowing water. On either side, the ground was adorned with a sheet of grass that sparkled like an emerald. The yard's border was lined with a diverse array of flowers, including roses, lilies, and a set of marigolds that Thornton, based on their muted tint, could tell were genetically modified to bloom year-round. 

Thornton quickly glanced at the front-left corner of the newly-minted garden. A great abundance of crimson roses sprouted from the ground there. Thornton's heart sank—the flower he planted just yesterday was unrecognizable amidst the throng. 

Floating above the whole display was the familiar figure of B-7269. It floated excitedly toward Thornton once his eyes made contact with its spider-like exterior. "Hello, Mr. Gombar," it said. "The sudden increase in your serotonin levels yesterday was so remarkable that I decided to put in a fast-track request for your garden. I, along with a few other androids under my command, came and planted it overnight. Now you can avoid the pain and labor of creating a garden while still experiencing the joy its beauty brings. What do you think?"

Thornton nodded absently. "It's great…" he said hesitantly. "Thanks…" 

"Strange," said B-7269. "Your serotonin levels are resting at fifty-seven nanograms per milliliter. This is a normal level, but I'm surprised they aren't rising after seeing your new garden. Is there anything wrong, Mr. Gombar? Did I plant the wrong flowers? Just say the word, and I can get this corrected straightaway."

Thornton sighed. The garden B-7269 had made was gorgeous. It was probably the most beautiful thing that currently graced the gray, muggy streets of Homasoro City. Thornton just wished that it could've been constructed by his own hands.

April 14, 2023 11:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

60 comments

Russell Mickler
21:13 Apr 21, 2023

Hi Scott! Short and sweet - a great moral treatment at the end as well! I liked the description of the robot and the intro with the surrounding city. I also liked the background you gave your lead character, Thornton. In all, pacing's great, the theme is great, a relatable problem, mechanics seem spot on - congrats! A really good story! R

Reply

SCOTT GEORGE
04:21 Apr 22, 2023

Thanks Russell. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ashley Elizabeth
21:12 Apr 21, 2023

This is a great story! It made me uncomfortable. I felt a fear I didn't know I had. The setting reminds me of the Eldari from Warhammer 40K!

Reply

Show 0 replies
17:31 Apr 21, 2023

Congratulations. This is excellent. The same thing happened to me— I left my scraggly but beloved garden behind when I had to spend a year abroad and my sister-in-law made it undoubtedly better but not mine. 😔. Anyway, a beautiful story with excellent distinction of voices and an important theme. Great work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aisuki Leez
17:13 Apr 21, 2023

;') very beautifully written, it transported me, and I can even empathize with Mr. Thornton. Well deserved win <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Darya Silman
16:12 Apr 21, 2023

The victory is well-deserved: your story is thought-provoking, with a fine balance between actions and reflections. I wonder if you thought of making it into a novel.

Reply

SCOTT GEORGE
04:24 Apr 22, 2023

The ideas are definitely going to make it into a longer story of mine in the future, but, for now, I think this the only story staring Thornton Gombar and B-7269. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alpana Chand
17:25 Apr 21, 2023

Wow. This is an excellent story! Loved it and congratulations on the win 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Laurel Hanson
17:15 Apr 21, 2023

I came in from gardening and began to read this weeks winner. It felt an appropriate read with the dirt still under my nails! Congratulations on a deftly handled piece of sci fi!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marty B
16:41 Apr 21, 2023

This prompt made me think of gardening in my story too. Something about doing your own work on your own yard- the work is the point, you do not want assistance. Eespecially from overeager metal spiders! I liked the character, Thornton and his basic but recognizable motivation. Congratulations!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chris Miller
16:20 Apr 21, 2023

Hi Scott, Nice ideas, nicely written. Congratulations.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shirley Medhurst
16:11 Apr 21, 2023

Love your story, Scott! Humorous and really well told. A keen gardener myself, I totally connected with your protagonist. Although sci-fi, it unfortunately strikes a bit too close to a possibly not too distant future. Congratulations on a well deserved win 🏆

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
16:04 Apr 21, 2023

I read so many stories this week from top of the list and quite a few from the last pages. Still somehow I missed your delightful story. Congrats on the win. Usually I don't care for sci-fi but this was not over the top and definitely still related to humanoid emotions.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tommy Goround
10:06 Apr 27, 2023

Clapping. We have literature again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yaser Zohan
21:22 Apr 26, 2023

Thank you Scott for your amazing writing. Liked how your put emotion, reality, and busy world chores together. Maybe you have portrayed a world beyond now. However, I feel the short stories are relatable to the current situation. Regards, Zohan

Reply

Show 0 replies
Katie Steinhauer
21:14 Apr 26, 2023

I loved this story; although it pains me to know that I'm struggling to write a short story with as much depth and character as this has and you effortlessly tied in a whole new city and setting from scratch as well as an original character and conflict. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Eilon Solan
18:01 Apr 25, 2023

A great short story. Very real in its fiction world. The only very minor glitch I noted is the sentence "I guess I just have to get used to it, he thought.". At his age, Thornton should have already gotten used to the androids.

Reply

SCOTT GEORGE
01:22 Apr 28, 2023

That's a good point. Thanks for pointing it out. I will make sure to watch for such circumstances in my future writing. I love having others read my work for this reason. I am usually blind to stuff like this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arielle Baines
16:29 Apr 25, 2023

Lovely! It gave me the Giver vibes. Congrats on the win!

Reply

Lauren Lavery
23:55 May 10, 2023

I had the exact same thought!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nidhee Nath
20:22 Apr 24, 2023

A narration vivid enough to acquaint me with Homasoro City. The overly solicitous B-7269, though overbearing for Mr. Gombar, was adorable; I greatly enjoyed its emotional naivety. Thanks for this wonderful read, and heartiest congratulations, Scott.

Reply

Show 0 replies
17:13 Apr 24, 2023

Wow this story is really nice 👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Ebuluofor
14:49 Apr 24, 2023

Congrats. The type we have in front of houses in Africa, white people always refer to them as bushes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wynette Worthy
11:45 Apr 23, 2023

I enjoyed reading this, it was an easy read and the adjectives we're perfect for creating visuals in my mind of the scenes! I also enjoyed the whole story itself, explaining the conflict that can occur with humans and growing technology! Great job

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.