Where the Wild Things Aren't

Submitted into Contest #217 in response to: Write a story about a warrior who doesn’t want to kill the dragon.... view prompt

39 comments

Creative Nonfiction Fantasy Contemporary


Where the Wild Things Aren't


I approached the door with trepidation. I had been here numerous times before. I had every right to be here. I held the key in my hand. Thankfully, the lock slid open flawlessly. But when I tried the door it stuck—again. As it had every other time whenever I arrived. Even with a glove on for a more secure grip, the door wouldn't budge to give up the treasures within.

From previous visits I knew what awaited inside was like a museum. A tangible testimony to the lifetime talents and holdings of the formidable Dragon Lady. No one had breached the contents for at least seven years other than me attempting to return a remembered memento to its rightful owner.

But the time had now come. The Dragon Lady herself had ordered it so. She planned to be in attendance for the grand reveal. As far as I knew according to her assistant she was on her way. It would be an hour's drive. I intended to have things ready to go to make the effort as painless and smooth as possible for such a daunting task. If I could only conquer the door! Determined warrior woman that I am I persisted and, finally, after much straining, CLICK, there it goes! Whew! Let the horror unfold.

And there it magnificently lies before me in all its splendor. Stacks and stacks of totes and boxes of every size and color piled nearly to the rafters on three sides and teetering down a middle aisle that has slid closer to the forlorn furniture edging the ten by twelve foot space. Oh, please, where does one even begin?

Ah, reinforcements have arrived. My younger sister from out of state has volunteered her six day hiatus from her grueling job in the kitchen at her church's daycare facility to come to my aid. Without her get-it-done-spirit it would not happen at all. Even our sometimes grumbling brother offered some assistance. Bless his sixty-nine year-old heart!

If it were simply up to us we would haul it all away in a dumpster and be done in a couple of hours. 'Simple' is a seldom-used word in our family. With the Dragon Lady nothing is ever simple. We know from experience each out-dated item, piece of clothing, craft, decoration, frazzled flower, chipped china, Halloween costume or pile of fabric; each scrap of paper, every newspaper clipping or recipe; all the eight-track tapes, cascading cassette tapes, CDs, DVRs, or albums; irreplaceable music books, yearbooks; children's books, children's artwork, stuffed toys, Barbie dolls, Matchbox cars, old report cards, even class schedules; useless home work, to-do lists, old date-book calendars, spent checks, bill of sales, receipts, broken pieces of furniture, jewelry or fake fruit; past birthday cards, Mother's Day cards or pictures are going to have to be touched, held, smelled, reminisced over and cherished one more time before the final decision is announced. Trash? Donate? Keep? Misty-eyed memories mixed with cleansing laughter. There will be tears. Big dragon-sized tears.

Trash? Piled up twenty large black bags deep. Donate? Three car loads full to Goodwill. Keep? Way too much to ever please the daughter she is now living with to be happy considering the space allotted. Maybe a 'Sell' pile would be nice but we don't have the time or energy to devote to that effort for the pittance it would yield. It would never make up for the expenditure already laid out for this hope-chest.

Okay, I admit it. I am at fault. Seven years ago when my older sister needed to vacate and sell her humble home to move in with our aging mother who needed her help, I was the one who spent my summer loading all my sister's cherished belongings into totes and boxes at her direction and carefully labeling all to pack this storage unit to the gills.

Not everything got sorted through at the time. The intention was to spend time sitting in the nice weather going through unfinished business. That never happened so thus, at her insistence, it must be done now. Now, so she can put that storage fee to better use and her children will not have this to do when she passes. Having almost died last year and getting to spend the summer in a nursing home convinced her it was time. She really was living in a fantasy world believing she would need any of this in her retirement years.

Her three children repeatedly told her they wanted nothing and had no intention of helping her with the process even though she is wheelchair-bound. I am not the spry young thing I was seven years ago but resigned myself I was probably going to be the one to do it. Luckily, little sister, age sixty-five, came to aid my seventy-two-year-old self.

To the dragon's credit her hoard proved she has been a very talented creator. She spent years as a special educator; co-owned a craft shop; headed up the local Red Cross chapter; volunteered at Sunday School and Vacation Bible School summer programs; decorated for weddings and special events; entertained with skits and song parodies at private parties; and was activity director for disabled adults at a residential facility. All these occupations involved creating atmospheres and characters that she made come alive with her artistic abilities. Much of that sentimental lifetime was packed away within these walls. Much of it was hauled away in front of her with her consent. Her dragon heart withstood it bravely.

We siblings spent four days wading and sneezing through evidence wild things had been enjoying her belongings unbridled. It made it easier to say 'trash' when we found things that had been gnawed on, urinated on, or where droppings had turned to dust. The splotched mud daubers, bird droppings or spider web remains convinced her no one else would want her treasures either.

Maybe its a blessing and a curse but this optimistic seventy-five-year-old Dragon Lady forgets nothing. She called today wondering if the search had revealed her viking horned helmet or her steer head. I did unearth her green hooded sweatsuit spiked down the back dragon costume complete with purple pinned-to-the-sleeves wings, hat with foam teeth-filled long bill and bottom jaw to attach under the chin. We don't call her 'Dragon Lady' for nothing.

I am no Jackie Paper but this Warrior Woman loves this Puff and proved I would do almost anything for her including banishing wild things.


September 28, 2023 07:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

39 comments

Michał Przywara
22:27 Oct 01, 2023

What a neat take on the prompt! The dragon metaphor here is interesting - on the one hand, we might associate the monstrous with dragons, but on the other hand, the majestic. A formidable for of personality. And then, dragons are often associated with hoards, which is the other side of this tale - that, and clearing out the hoard. Like so many family stories, this one is bittersweet. The siblings come together, and do this what's been put off for so long - there's love here - but it comes after a brush with mortality. Leaves us with much to...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:32 Oct 01, 2023

Thanks for reading and commenting 🙂. It was quite the undertaking!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
18:04 Sep 30, 2023

Love your creative interpretation and I agree; that is a dragon no one ever "wants" to slay. Enjoyable, as always.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:47 Sep 30, 2023

Thanks for the input.☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
15:54 Sep 29, 2023

Great, imaginative, emotive riff on the prompt!! And the “dragon” analogy is a wonderful comment on how we perceive and misperceive strong women. And my parents were massive hoarders, so I could see it all vividly.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:12 Sep 29, 2023

🙏 Thanks, Martin. Been a long week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Rutherford
07:20 Oct 01, 2023

What happened to the Wild West? Actually, I like it now, you have turned to contemporary, different topic, your style and subtle humour shine, good job.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:04 Oct 01, 2023

Thank you. I did some of my western story last week, I think

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Judith Jerdé
13:57 Sep 29, 2023

Mary, your writing is superb! Makes me kind of wanna hide my own stories in a paper basket somewhere. Thanks always fo reading them anyway. Good luck with this one!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:45 Sep 29, 2023

Thanks. I like yours, too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
12:21 Sep 29, 2023

Nice interpretation of the prompt, Mary. Good story.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:32 Sep 29, 2023

Thanks for liking and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
20:12 Sep 28, 2023

Great stuff Mary. The blend of reality and the fantastical jargon was perfect. Like commenter below I twigged halfway that there must be some truth to all this, and scrolled to see the non fiction tag. Really enjoyed this. Good work

Reply

Show 0 replies
Karen Corr
18:11 Sep 28, 2023

At first, we need too much and suddenly we have too much. Of course, it takes a dragon! Nice story dragon lady!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
17:28 Sep 28, 2023

Thanks so much for acknowledging the love that went into this. I thought about listing more of the wild things we found. The Halloween costume varieties alone could haunt one. The younger sister, a crafty one herself, wanted so much to take home the adorable two foot tall pillowy candy corn couple to grace her preschool hallway but thought her husband would object considering they had not been protected from the wild things. They looked clean enough but she took a picture so she could recreate them.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michelle Oliver
14:49 Sep 28, 2023

Hey Mary, this reads true and I had to scroll up to confirm the creative nonfiction tag. The older dragon sister who seems to be a bit of a hoarder and the siblings who obviously love her enough to sort through the hoard. The last line is so beautiful. Banishing wild things, what a lovely image. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Lieser
02:02 Oct 20, 2023

Hi Mary! I absolutely adore the way that you decided to approach this prompt I think that you manage to capture the intense love and dedication of a parent, while also helping us to challenger viewpoints as a society. It felt like a true depiction of personal experience. Of course we wouldn’t want to slay this dragon. But what if that intense love is misguided? Misunderstood? And therefore, impossible to appreciate. Nice work!!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:15 Oct 20, 2023

Wonderful comment. Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jarrel Jefferson
04:53 Oct 13, 2023

I really like the list of stuff needing to be sort through that went on and on to an absurd degree. I'm sure you needed a warrior's spirit to go through such an undertaking. I kinda wished the Dragon Lady's kids would've helped, but it's sweet of you and your sibling to take care of it. Thank you for sharing this experience. Your stories always provide a dose of good vibes.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
09:06 Oct 13, 2023

Thanks for the positive comments. To be fair, her children did end up helping with some furniture after we had managed the bulk of the project.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:22 Oct 11, 2023

I enjoyed how positive they were in tackling this project. Your main character's spirit is inspiring.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ken Cartisano
05:16 Oct 09, 2023

Very nice, very well written. When one sees a hoard, one can hardly help but think of dragons.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Daniel Rogers
00:52 Oct 08, 2023

We have our own "Dragon Lady." My wife's 95 year old grandma. She had to move in with my wife's cousin because her stuff filled every room of her house, finishing with the couch she slept on and her stove.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Eileen Burnett
13:27 Oct 06, 2023

I really enjoyed your story. It was relatable, witty, with a touch of sadness that is the underlying sentiment when a life's collection is reduced to rubbish. A great creative nonfiction piece.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:00 Oct 06, 2023

Thanks for the comment. Yes, overall it was sad. Truly, you can't take it with you.😏 Thanks for liking the Gift

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pedre Paxim
11:36 Oct 05, 2023

Very original take on the prompt! Makes you wonder what the equivalent of "killing" the dragon would be - I guess leaving her to do the job by herself, like her children did, or perhaps hauling it all away in a dumpster against her wishes? I admit to being confused during the first half, but it came together nicely at the end and left me with a snapshot from a life any of us might have. I never got the impression that the Dragon Lady actually arrived at the scene, the time frame is rather vague - is that intentional? From "The time had now ...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:17 Oct 05, 2023

Thanks for in depth comment and tips. The long list helped fill the word count. Sorry about that, could have been longer and more detailed so consider it a blessing😆. As far as the time sequences, I wrote it right after we finished the project so it felt like present tense still. I admit I have a difficult time getting the right frame.

Reply

Pedre Paxim
11:57 Oct 06, 2023

That darn word count... Well, that explains that. 😊 As for the time frame, shifting it around like that makes the narrative more "stream of consciousness", since we as humans do shift or consciousness between time frames. Time perception, I believe, it's more subjective in reality than in fiction. So it can be used as a narrative device, if that's the effect you're after.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
16:31 Oct 04, 2023

To had me hooked by the opener, what's behind the door, such a simple yet highly effective mechanism. I thought we were in a deep fantasy but it turns in a storage locker, and that is classic Mary B! Taking what could be mundane, spinning in some real life, splash of wit and tada a lovely heart felt story appears. Sister Dragon was such a good take, really well done.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:18 Oct 04, 2023

Thanks☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Page
14:07 Oct 03, 2023

Wow Mary! Great take on the prompt and a very well thought out story. The Puff the Magic Dragon and Jackie Paper reference was spot on and brought me back—couldn’t get enough of that as a kid. Also loved the hoarding idea and character development. Another lovely tale!! Great work!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
14:09 Oct 03, 2023

Thanks so much. Always great when it connects.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danie Holland
09:31 Oct 02, 2023

Mary, this story really touched me. My sister and I are thick as thieves and we would slay any dragon for each other and have slayed countless dragons already. I loved seeing the compassion and willingness to do hard things for the sake of another. To love and be loved like that is truly one of life's finest treasures. Well done, thank you so much for sharing.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:53 Oct 02, 2023

Thanks. 🙏It was a traumatic ordeal to get through because it hurt her so much to see everything pass that meant something to her. Now I have to clear out my own stuff so I don't put someone else through that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.