25 comments

American Coming of Age Romance

“What are you doing up there?”


I have no idea, Maggie thought to herself, contemplating her mother’s question.


“I’m going through some old pictures,” she finally responded. “I think it’s time to purge.”


“Hooray,” came the reply from the bottom of the ladder. “Two years is too long.”


Maggie’s mom was right. It had been two years since she had shown up on her parent’s doorstep, mascara smeared around her eyes. Thanks to her best friend, her marriage had ended in an instant. Her husband didn’t even have the courtesy to rent a hotel room for his tryst. The moment Maggie walked into her bedroom, she had lost her marriage, her best friend, and her dreams. To add insult to injury, her husband, showing no remorse, had thrown all of her pictures into an old cardboard box and left it on the front porch without an explanation or an apology.


Her father, ignoring Maggie's request to throw them out, retrieved the box, loading it into his car and bringing it home.


“What are you doing, Dad?” Maggie asked, catching her father taking the box to the attic.


“These memories will keep, Magpie. There will be a time for them, but it isn’t now.” Maggie's father was right, as usual, when it came to protecting his only daughter.


Maggie’s first foray into the attic happened nearly a year after her break-up. It didn’t go well or last long.


“Right on top, can you believe it?” Maggie asked her friend Natalie later that night, armed with a glass of liquid courage. “He put the wedding pictures right on top.”


“This too shall pass, sweetie,” Natalie replied. “You’re the strongest woman I know—screw him!”


All of her other friends were supportive publicly, but Maggie heard the whispers. It was as if no one believed she would be able to survive her heartbreak, not even Maggie. Maggie was supposed to be married.


From the time she was six years old, Maggie knew she wanted to be a wife. “Daddy, look at me,” the young girl had squealed as she walked slowly into the room, dressed in white. “I’m getting married today. Aren’t I beautiful?”


“You are a princess, Magpie,” her father responded, picking up his daughter in his arms.


“Daddy, you’re crushing my veil!”


“I’m so sorry,” her father replied, setting his daughter down.


To the casual observer, Maggie’s veil was just a white tee-shirt and the dress a towel wrapped around her waist—but not to Maggie, not today. Today the mismatched garments were the most beautiful wedding ensemble ever.


Ten years later, now sixteen, Maggie met her first love, Frederick Deese. Freddy, as Maggie like to call him, was the boy next door and he was smitten with with his pretty neighbor. He would take Maggie on long walks, singing poorly and reciting borrowed poetry, but Maggie loved every minute.


“How do I love thee?” Freddy queried, standing tall to impress Maggie.


“Well, that’s original, Mrs. Browning,” she responded, turning away to hide her smile.


Maggie was as taken with Freddy as he was with her. They spent one glorious summer discovering everything about each other and love. They had hugged and held hands, but as the summer came to an end, they had yet to kiss. Maggie hoped that was about to change when she got the note. Freddy often left short messages for Maggie and this was was as simple as the came.


Meet me at our tree,

Frederick


Maggie knew the place instantly. She and Freddy had found the spot on a walk earlier that summer. The oak tree stood at the edge of a secluded lake. If they were there at the right time, it offered a romantic view of the sunset. Maggie had wanted Freddy to kiss her for two months. That night, under the tree, next to the lake, he finally did. The experience didn’t disappoint. Her toes curled and her face became flushed.


“I love you, Frederick Deese,” Maggie exclaimed without contemplating the consequences. “I love you with all my heart.”


“I love you too, Maggie but—” Freddy replied, followed by silence. 


Up until that moment, the evening had been perfect, however perfection was interrupted by a single word.


“But?" Maggie asked as she took a step back. “But, what?”


“I’m moving,” Freddy answered, his eyes welling with tears. “It’s my dad, he got his orders. We’re moving to Japan.”


“Japan! When?”


“In two weeks.”


The news left Maggie gasping for air. She had allowed herself to imagine forever and now forever was reduced to just fourteen days.


The Saturday Freddy moved, Maggie was inconsolable. She was also undeterred. She would find love again—Maggie was sure of it.


In retrospect she never did, not really. Though Maggie liked Vincent, enough to say yes when he proposed, there was never a time where he caused her heart to flutter as it had when she first kissed Freddy.


“I’m headed back up to the attic,” Maggie announced as she pulled down the ladder from the ceiling.


“Are you sure, Magpie? Do you need help?”


Maggie shook her head and smiled. It was time to make peace with the past.


The first picture she pulled out was a close up of the rings, freshly placed on the bride and groom’s hands. The 24-karat gold band was a rotted reminder of a union never meant to be.


Determined, Maggie pushed past the photos from the wedding to the days before she had met Vincent. Memories from her trips to Disneyland and The Grand Ole Opry. Photos of her parents as newlyweds. The more she dug through the photos, the more she felt a thaw in what had become a very cold heart. For two years Maggie had hidden herself away, keeping her emotions in check, never opening herself up to be hurt. Now, these same photos she had dreaded for so long were becoming the nutrients that would allow her heart to grow once again.


At the bottom of the pile, Maggie found something out of place. Hidden from sight by all the photos, Maggie’s hand grasped an envelope. It was still sealed. On the front she read: Just in case.


“Dad, do you know anything about this?” Maggie asked, as she navigated her way back down the ladder.


“You found that, huh?" her dad responded with a grin, "I put it at the bottom, figuring you would find it when you were ready.”


“What is it? Where did it come from?”


“It’s from an old friend of yours.”


“From who?” Maggie asked, even though she recognized the handwriting.


“Open it and find out.”


Maggie tore open the envelope and pulled out the card.


Maggie,


I wish you nothing but the best as you start your new life but, if you change your mind, let me know. 


Frederick


Just below the note, Frederick listed his phone number.


“Dad, it’s from Freddy!”


“I know, Magpie,” her dad said, as he smiled and handed her his phone.


April 10, 2022 16:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

25 comments

Zelda C. Thorne
14:03 Apr 13, 2022

Hi Lee, I really enjoyed this story. So sweet. I liked the bit about the photos becoming the nutrients to make her heart grow again. Lovely and heart-warming.

Reply

Thom With An H
18:59 Apr 13, 2022

Rachel I love your writing so feedback from you means a lot. Thanks for taking the time to make my day.

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
19:03 Apr 13, 2022

The pleasure is mine. I just posted a new story today, would love your feedback if you have time 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shea West
20:02 Apr 11, 2022

This was a simple and endearing story. I always hope that if the first love doesn't work out, or the second, that a person will find their way back to that long lost love. This story is a bit of a slice of life, or at least that was my takeaway! If I made any suggestions it would be here:The day that Freddy kissed Maggie was both awesome and awful. I think you could really beef that line up, give us something more than awesome and awful.

Reply

Thom With An H
20:09 Apr 11, 2022

I've changed that line twice so far because you are so right. I need to give it punch. It's such a significant part of the story. I promise it will be better by the time the story is finalized. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hello, Lee. A beautiful story! Both of Maggie's parents are wonderful. I have one edit suggestion: [Just below the note listed his phone number.] Perhaps instead {And just below the note's text, a phone number.}

Reply

Thom With An H
23:20 Apr 10, 2022

Great advice. Thanks for stopping by and sharing.

Reply

Grateful to be a help.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hi Lee, when you get a chance, please respond to this when you get a chance. ------------------- Do you read the prologue of a book? A Yes, every time B No, never C Sometimes/It depends Note: I am copy-and-pasting this to multiple people. -------------------

Reply

Thom With An H
23:01 Apr 15, 2022

A

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
John Del Rio
00:19 Apr 22, 2022

So good. I like the family dynamic and affectionate nickname his father has for her. Sadly I have been in her shoes, and I can see her reactions through sympathetic eyes. I wonder how old the phone number was? I was too busy enjoying he story to look at the mechanics of it. Nothing stood out to me as being out of place. I will read more of your work to be sure.

Reply

Thom With An H
00:38 Apr 22, 2022

You are so kind. I often say I write to be read but I want to be read and understood. You understand. Thank you.

Reply

John Del Rio
01:11 Apr 22, 2022

it's sad how much infidelity there is out there. i am happily married now to a wonderful woman. i will read more of your work when i have the opportunity. would love to hear some feedback from you on some of mine.

Reply

Show 0 replies
John Del Rio
01:11 Apr 22, 2022

it's sad how much infidelity there is out there. i am happily married now to a wonderful woman. i will read more of your work when i have the opportunity. would love to hear some feedback from you on some of mine.

Reply

Show 0 replies
John Del Rio
01:11 Apr 22, 2022

it's sad how much infidelity there is out there. i am happily married now to a wonderful woman. i will read more of your work when i have the opportunity. would love to hear some feedback from you on some of mine.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Sharon Hancock
23:48 Apr 11, 2022

This is a wonderful sweet story. Exactly what I needed after a long day. Such smooth writing, it flowed along perfectly. I love the ending and how her dad helped her through the difficult time. Great story!😻

Reply

Thom With An H
23:56 Apr 11, 2022

Thank you so much. It’s nice to write a story that has a truly happy ending. I don’t always do that. 😀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Francis Daisy
12:43 Apr 11, 2022

Ah, sweet romance! You need to label this as a romance! Sweet love and true love abound❤! You are a softie...

Reply

Thom With An H
13:10 Apr 11, 2022

Your wish is my command.

Reply

Francis Daisy
12:23 Apr 14, 2022

LOL!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jane Mosse
14:28 Apr 22, 2022

Lee, I really enjoyed your story. A classic romance where the reader spends the whole story waiting for the happy ending. Short and sweet. I thought you handled the time-frame well, something that isn't always easy to do. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alokita Gupta
07:03 Apr 19, 2022

Hey Lee! I loved this story and I loved it so much that I signed up to this website so that I can tell you how heart-touching the story was! I am mostly a silent reader... don't usually put comments but your story made me do so! I don't know if I would re-visit this website or submit my stories but I will definitely love to read more stories (and maybe a novel) written by Lee Roberts.

Reply

Thom With An H
19:21 Apr 19, 2022

Alokita, This is one of the kindest comments I’ve ever received. I am touched by your feedback and hope you will become a regular reader. Your new friend, Lee

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crows_ Garden
12:52 Apr 18, 2022

That's sweet! I love those moments in books and movies where the parents plan something good, and it goes well. I love the ending. Thank you for writing this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Stina Henrietta
10:59 Apr 18, 2022

Such a sweet story! It was charming and honestly a bit soothing for the soul. Simply put an overall pleasant read.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.