The Woods

Submitted into Contest #143 in response to: Set your story in the woods or on a campground. ... view prompt

11 comments

Sad Teens & Young Adult

Leaves crunch under my feet and an owl hoots in the distance. A full moon is out, shining down into the forest, lighting up the trees.


My favourite place has always been the woods. Everything was different here, you could forget your troubles and enjoy every moment. You could forget that this was one of your last days.


"I'm sorry Keira, there's nothing we can do."


Cancer has taken millions of souls every year, it was only a matter of time before it took mine. In the woods, however, I didn't have to think about this. I could remember the happy times.


I told myself I was not going to be sad. I was going to be happy and have fun for the rest of my life.


I didn't want to remember I was dying. There come those negative thoughts again, creeping in like a cloud moving in front of the sun. Sad thoughts, threatening to spill tears from my eyes. 


This is one of my last days. Somehow, I feel like this can't be real. This can't be happening. Please, someone tell me it's not real. Anything would be better than this. 


"I'm not going to think about that." I tell myself out loud. I went here to be happy again, to forget. Maybe it's the thought of this being my last visit here that's scaring me. 


I'm not ready to leave Earth yet. I've barely started my life.


I sit down on a tree trunk and think.


What great things have I really accomplished? What have I accomplished at all? Honestly, I don't know.


I don't want to die. Tears come, and I allow myself to cry.


I don't want to go. I'm not ready to leave yet. I'm not ready.


My thoughts keep scaring me.


Will these be some of my last breaths? Will this be the last place I go? Will this be the last thing I do? Will this be my last thought?


"It doesn't work like that." It doesn't, right?


I don't know anything. I can't see anything. I know now, this is where I die. 


This is where I die. In my favourite place, the woods.

April 28, 2022 12:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

12:58 Apr 28, 2022

Enjoy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:58 Jun 07, 2022

This story was very short, but it was emotional, too, you got a lot across in very few words, something that's hard to do. I feel like there could be a bit more drama on the whole concept that they were going to die, but that's just my opinion =) Good job!

Reply

13:05 Jun 10, 2022

Love the feedback, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dragos Marcean
07:03 May 05, 2022

It's very well written, but I feel like it's not a story, but more of a diary entry or a blog post. I liked the narrator's struggle, but I feel that you could elaborate and add to the conflict.

Reply

10:50 May 05, 2022

Thank you for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laura Eliz
13:37 May 03, 2022

This brought me near tears. Well written!

Reply

13:44 May 03, 2022

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Spruce Popsicle
13:08 Apr 30, 2022

Although it sounds bad to say, I really enjoyed reading this. I can understand the wanting to be in a certain place, and to be with the memories there. Although I didn’t cry, I will say I was close. Honestly, this is amazing. Great job.

Reply

14:58 Apr 30, 2022

Thank you! I think I can understand the feeling.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
14:36 Apr 29, 2022

I’m not sure enjoyed is the right word for this but I understand wanting to be in the woods. I grew up with a field behind my house and woods at the bottom of it where I used to play. There are a lot of happy memories there. There’s something very reassuring about forests. Even when a tree dies, the forest keeps going.

Reply

15:14 Apr 29, 2022

Nice! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.