Contest #182 shortlist ⭐️

104 comments

Horror Science Fiction Speculative

With any luck I’ll be able to eat today. The food court of the Silver Gardens Mall is notorious for the greasy factory produced shit that corporations insist is technically edible, but a bottom feeder like me doesn’t have much choice.

I see the place is packed with squirming bodies. Seniors, students, families. Lots of have-people. A band of high school boys throwing fries at each other. They don’t even know they’re haves. A couple more years and they’ll learn.

All of this, under the watchful eyes of the PanoptiSafe surveillance system. Beady black golf balls polished to a mirror sheen, spread everywhere, covering walls and hanging from ceilings, like some kind of spores. There’s at least a hundred of them just in this food court.

Out of habit – because I hate myself, because I hate – I check if any of the restaurants are hiring on my phone. Most of the small junk peddlers don’t employ meat anymore. The sit-down Italian Sicilian Dreams does have a flesh-and-blood maître d’, but no postings. I bet she would kill to keep that job.

I sigh.

I open the HeyStreamer app and my thumb hovers over my phone. Finally, I click “Active.” My status changes to green and I’m on the clock. I hear the app’s jingle in my AuralMax ear implants – headphones without needing headphones. HeyStreamer Hannah says, “Welcome! Have a profitable day today.”

I check my enabled channels. Food, yes. Everyone’s in food. Shopping, yes. Errands – boring but steady. Modelling, singing, demonstrations, events, support, pets, extra-ing – okay. I check my list of no’s. Again, as every day, my thumb hovers over sex.

No. Not yet. This is just temporary, until I get a job.

Oh boy, that’s getting harder and harder to believe.

I confirm my channels and close the app. The wait begins.

I take a stroll through the court. “Be visible!” Hannah tells us. “Be interesting!” I reopen the app like an addict and see my viewer list is empty. But due to the PanoptiSafe integration, it does report that 34 cams and 255 mobile devices have an angle on me. Not bad.

I weave between eaters, making exaggerated eye contact and over-friendly greetings. I make ridiculous pantomimes and dance the odd jig. They ignore me and the stench of salted fat makes my stomach rumble.

There’s other streamers doing the same. Our shameful morning ritual. Not FatBen though. He’s already at the donut place, laughing loud and stuffing his craw. Praising the product. He’s branding. I’m glad for him but I also hate him. He’s branding, and I don’t even have a single subscriber.

I check his stream and almost drop my phone. His tip jar is up to $103.25 already, and someone’s started a challenge! All he’s got to do is eat a dozen bear claws in 90 seconds and he’ll earn another $50. My gut roils.

“Hey streamer,” a woman says through my implants. My viewer list says her name’s tanya98145.

“Hey Tanya!” My voice drips with sales cheer. “How are you doing?”

“No chat.” Fine, bitch. Nobody ever wants to chat. How am I supposed to convert subscribers?

“Go to AcroSport,” she says. I see $0.10 appear in my tip jar.

It’s going to be a day.

I pass through the sliding doors of AcroSport and follow her directions. “Left. Right. Past the tennis stuff. Left.”

“Where are we going?”

“No chat.”

She directs me to a wall of Yoga mats, and I get another $0.10 tip. Yay.

“Run your palm along the Minkware one,” she says. “The blue one. Slowly.”

I obey, fondling the rolled up Yoga mat. This is not how I imagined my life, when I was a kid.

“Now do it again, on the Plex-2. Also the blue one. Navy blue!”

I resist sighing.

“Which one feels better?” she asks.

“The Plex-2 is firmer,” I say, “but I like the softness of the first one. Makes me feel welcome.”

“Hmm,” she says. That’s it.

I check my stream and see she’s no longer viewing. Fuck! And she didn’t leave a thank you tip.

Well, since I’m here anyway I check if AcroSport is hiring. Nope. I feel my organs twisting. Nearly 10 AM and all I’ve got is $0.20, which won’t even cover the HeyStreamer fees. Again.

“Hey streamer,” I hear a man’s voice, and with it, a shot of adrenaline courses through my veins. His name is Jack9Jack.

“Hey Jack! How can I serve you today?” Is this another antisocial asshole?

“Wow, love that attitude!” he says, with a laugh and a $1.00 tip. “So, I’m going to need you to buy some things. First off, a golf club. A Maxfield Professional driver.”

My eyes widen. “The thing is, I can’t really afford…”

“Comped.” A feed to his account appears in my stream. Okay, maybe this guy is serious. I have to turn him into a subscriber.

I get the club and buy it, and at the checkout I see I’m up to 7 viewers. “Mm, we’re cooking up something interesting!” I say.

“You bet,” says Jack. 8 viewers.

He tells me to buy a box of chocolates next, and a bouquet of roses – comped. We chat and have a couple laughs as I obey, and my viewer count rises to 26. Tips are up to $31.85 too, so maybe this’ll be a good day after all.

“What do you need this stuff for anyway?” I ask. It’s getting awkward holding the club, chocolates, and bouquet.

Jack laughs. “You’ll see. I’m trying to put something together. Should be worth your while.”

I can’t complain.

“Okay, now go to the north exit to the mall,” he says. “There’s someone I want you to meet.”

I find a middle-aged woman sitting on a bench, looking absolutely wrecked. Her eyes are puffy, there’s a crying kid tugging at her arm, and a bag of shopping lies spilled on the floor.

“Looks like she’s had a shit day,” Jack says. “Give her the chocolates. With a flourish.”

I gulp. A quick check tells me she’s not streaming. So, we’re doing candid now, and when you poke a stranger anything can happen. But this has caused a buzz and my viewers are over 100. On with the show.

“My dear madam!” I say with a deep bow. I present the box of chocolates to her, a knight offering treasure to his queen. “Might I interest you in a box of joy?”

She eyes me in her daze. This could go either way, and I hear Jack make an excited sound.

“Thank you!” she finally bursts, blubbering. A moment later she’s hugging me, utterly overwhelmed like nobody’s ever shown her kindness. It’s wet and snotty, but my viewers love it. They’re cheering and the tips are up to $57.01.

What kind of an ass tips a penny?

Anyway, I extricate myself from her grateful grasp, and we part ways.

“You have a bus to catch,” Jack says.

I’m buzzing. I’m seeing the kind of success right now that the blog jockeys all rave about, but us streamers almost never see.

My viewers are chatting, calling me some kind of angel of mercy. I wonder if I can brand that? I can think of worse careers than swooping in and giving sad people chocolate.

“Good news,” says Jack. “It looks like my project’s going through.”

I get on the bus and my fare is comped.

“I want to do an event,” Jack says.

My eyes light up. Events are big business. Ticket sales, advertising, lots of incidental viewers. And always, the chance to go viral. My heart’s hammering as I look for a seat.

“Don’t sit,” he says. “I need to know you’re right for my event.”

“I am!”

“I want you to sing.” He starts a poll in my stream, and the viewers – over 200 now! – pick an older pop piece. Jack comps the rights.

Damn it, why did I ever enable the singing channel? I hate singing and I’m crap at it.

“Sing,” Jack says. “You don’t have to be good, just entertain the bus.” The beats start streaming from the bus’s speakers, the company no doubt getting a cut.

So, I sing.

My voice is rough without a warmup and I can’t really carry a tune. I get eye rolls from some of the passengers who would prefer to do without streamers, but hey, you’re on public transit. You knew what you were getting into.

Some people laugh though, and I put my heart into it. And then, a miracle happens. A group of young people start singing along and the laughter starts catching, and for the next four minutes the bus grows louder and jollier as we all just belt out trash pop.

“You can sit now,” Jack says, when I finish. My viewers are over 500 and my tips are a solid $137.76.

“You’re trending,” he says. “Did you know that?”

He’s right. There’s already some remixes of my stupid little dance out there, driving more viewers.

“So, I’m doing a charity event, and I think you’re perfect for it.”

I laugh out loud, full of nervous relief. “Oh man, that sounds awesome, Jack! I’d love to be an extra.” This is how careers start.

“No. Not an extra. You’re the primary.”

“The primary!?” This is unbelievable. All eyes are on the primary. I’m going to carry the show, and if I do a good job I’ll brand.

Oh, god – I need a name. How can I feel both hot and cold at the same time?

“Yeah, that’s right,” says Jack. “I like your attitude, and I think you’ll be a good fit. So, you interested?”

It takes me a moment to find my voice, but I finally stammer out a “Yeah!”

“Good.” My phone dings. He’s sent me an overview of the event, and tickets are already selling. “So as I said, it’s a charity thing. A guy I know is in a bit of trouble.” He sends me a contract. Jesus, I can’t breathe – I’m projected to sweep about $1500 today! “See, he’s poor, and his grandkid just came down with cancer. The curable kind, but you know. Cures ain’t free. Most of the sales go to medical. You fine with that?”

“Yes! Definitely. It’s a great cause.” I see the breakdown. 10% processing fee, 20% medical, 22% investors – so Jack, presumably – 45% legal mitigation, and then 2% me and 1% extras. Whatever, more money than I’ve seen in years.

“Good. Sign.”

I do.

“Get off at the next stop.”

I do.

“So, what am I going to be doing?”

“You’re an angel of mercy,” Jack says. He chuckles. “I’m really digging that name. You have some great viewers today.”

He directs me down a couple streets. I see a crowd gathered at a basketball court, surrounded on three sides by skyscrapers. The crowd is massive and I feel a shiver. The dream of streaming is millions of eyes, of course, but it’s different when they’re anonymous. This is a live crowd.

“Keep going.”

The crowd parts for me. They cheer. Their noise is intoxicating. Up above I see a banner with “Save Charlie!” written on it, and confetti fills the air.

The centre of the court is clear. There’s an old man and woman there. They look miserable, so I assume this is Jack’s friend. No sign of the kid, but I do see a sound system is set up. I assume I’ll be singing again.

“Give her the flowers.”

With another flourish, I present the roses to the old woman. The crowd cheers. She doesn’t take them though; not right away. She’s halfway to sobbing. The old man whispers something to her and she picks up the bouquet.

I guess cancer’s a hell of a diagnosis, especially for a grandkid. I’m sorry she’s going through that. But hey, we’re here to fix it, aren’t we? I hope she doesn’t ruin my debut, and I hate myself for thinking it.

“Okay, now what?” I say.

The old man hugs the old woman and she steps away from him.

The speakers bounce. Same song as in the bus, only now the cheery bass rattles my bones.

The crowd goes wild.

If it weren’t for my ear implants, I wouldn’t have heard Jack.

“Wave to the crowd,” Jack says. I do. “Medical bills are expensive, but this guy’s going to do whatever it takes to make sure his grandkid gets help. That’s where you come in. Raise your golf club.”

I do. The crowd cheers even louder and the beats keep banging.

“Now, the old man,” Jack says. “Kill him.”

What!?

The crowd is singing the song, a deafening tide of human noise. The old man trembles, but raises his head high with a stiff upper lip. He closes his eyes.

I swear, I think. I don’t know what I say. None of this makes sense.

“Kill him,” Jack repeats. “He’s given consent.”

Someone’s set up a three-stroke challenge in my stream, and the pot’s already at $379.50. Three strokes. Fuck.

“Nobody gets paid,” Jack says, “until the old man dies. So choose. Either he dies, or his grandkid does.”

The bass thumps. The crowd roars. The pot grows. And when I look at him, the old man with his haggard, half-lidded eyes – he nods to me.

“Let’s go viral, angel of mercy,” Jack says.

I raise the golf club.

January 24, 2023 00:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

104 comments

Wendy Kaminski
00:45 Jan 25, 2023

Holy WTH that was dark! But so deliciously well-done. This just drags you along straight through this impoverished, then mundane, then desperate ... then nightmare ... world, and I totally was into it! I liked the little touches, like "Jack comps the rights." Your facets always sparkle. :) Great story, as always, and fantastic approach to the prompt - you defined it!

Reply

Michał Przywara
05:09 Jan 25, 2023

Ha, thanks Wendy! A bit darker this week, for sure. I figure if there's cameras everywhere, we'll find a way to profit off it :)

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:00 Feb 03, 2023

Congratulations on the shortlist this week - couldn't agree more! :)

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:39 Feb 03, 2023

Thanks, Wendy :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
16:18 Jan 26, 2023

Wow! Talk about dark & dystopian! Great work…

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:42 Jan 26, 2023

Thanks, Shirley! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
00:55 Jan 24, 2023

Social Satire. 1.) The build of tips and stunts, the "Jackass" of gratuity whoring (online) becomes Onlyfans/Tik-tok/and Youtube shorts. 2.) You touch upon a real-life inconsistency: Namely A.) if people are allowed to be photographed in public B.) Did they give away _consent_ to use their likeness for commercial displays? Your guy does not appear to violate this on the first read and gets consent in the end. 3.) Angel of Mercy is legal in CA. Shocking? You have gone to the natural climax of when idiocracy becomes streaming. Clapping.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:48 Jan 24, 2023

The technology keeps developing, the society keeps changing, but I think the core is as applicable as it ever was: get them to do what you want by keeping them poor and hungry :( I had a vague idea of highlighting some issues with the gig economy, but it kind of turned into this rent-a-body televised-snuff thing. I do wonder though. If we're being watched all the time, will we be on our best behaviour? Or is it a chance for us to become stars? Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
13:00 Jan 26, 2023

Dang, this is powerful. Even though you were holding out the carrot that he might be offering aid and comfort to people so that we are hoping for something positive to come out of this, we knew it wouldn't. The surveillance with the black balls, the use of the word "meat" to reference human workers, and so on, all builds the background threat leading to the exchange in the halls of medicine. As a sci fi fan, I couldn't help but be reminded of Black Mirror - and I apologize for making a comparison - but that show kicks you in the face with th...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:46 Jan 26, 2023

"commodification of ourselves" is a great way of putting it. We become the product, the marketing, the sales, the management, the R&D - all of it, for ourselves. Perhaps we've come full circle and "people are corporations" too :) I'm glad you enjoyed the story! It's fun taking things to extremes, and seeing how they might develop. I mean, taking them to extremes in fiction - less so in real life. Also great to hear that the setting was clear without any exposition dumps. That's always a risk with sci-fi, but I suppose a big advantage of ne...

Reply

Laurel Hanson
23:05 Jan 26, 2023

I think it is critical that people take what we have now and nudge it just a little further in fiction so that we can explore how to respond to what is going on, recognize what we might lose before we lose it, and perhaps prepare a saner way. I taught a sci fi class in high school and loved it. Felt it was so valid, yet it is a field so widely condemned in academic circles for not being "literature." Humbug. If fiction make you think, it's literature.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:42 Jan 27, 2023

I completely agree! Sure, maybe rayguns, space bikinis, and high-speed flying car chases above the jungles of Venus is a little pulp, but you can absolutely explore characters and the human condition in sci-fi, as well as examine interesting social situations and projections. Same with any genre, really, but there does seem to be a "genre fiction has no literary merit" attitude in some places.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
23:31 Jan 27, 2023

I discovered that the reading of sci fi is actually way harder than it is given credit for. Since I also taught the classics in a different class, I can anecdotally vouch for the fact that, as simple as sci fi stories can appear, they are hard for developing minds to grasp. Just using your story as an example, a reader has to develop the world you unfold for them in their heads, interpret on the fly, and even fill-in-the-blanks about the working components of the world are without being told what anything is. Those same challenges are prese...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:10 Jan 25, 2023

Yes! Love this from you Michał! This could be an episode of Black Mirror. I found the tone really interesting here - on the surface you've got the faux-cheery, upbeat style we're used to in social media, which I can tell was consciously done, but underneath there's this unsettling amoral streak of both the narrator and Jack which obviously comes to the fore at the end. You did a great job ramping this up gradually throughout the story to maximise the tension. That said, the few moments of humour are well-placed too. I can't think of too mu...

Reply

Michał Przywara
04:10 Jan 26, 2023

Thanks, Shuv! Yeah, I've always been fascinated by that show-business "the show must go on!" attitude, where everything is peachy when the camera's rolling, even if you're dying inside. Guess that's harder with omnipresent cameras. That's a good point about underusing the PanoptiSafe devices. I imagined them everywhere, but the story didn't actually state that. I figure it's kind of an evolution of the CCTV-camera-on-every-corner surveillance state. And if they're filming you anyway, might as well earn a dollar :P Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:37 Jan 25, 2023

Przywara goes pitch dark. Dead of winter. Tis the season... Welcome to the mob mentality in the digital age with a side of skewering internet "stars" - a lot of whom seem to be dead or in jail...(or is that just YouTubers?) A much needed update to “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson. Or the Roman's bread and circus? Keep 'em fed Keep 'em entertained (I'll just be over here silently weeping...)

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:41 Jan 25, 2023

"Silently weeping" is an excellent idea for a channel :) Love Shirley Jackson's work. I looked her up recently though, and was dismayed to learn she clocked out at age 48. That's the real horror. Thanks for checking out this darker tale, Deidra!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
10:28 Jan 25, 2023

Michal, What a chilling story! The same old power play between haves and have nots-only taken up a few notches higher in entertainment value. What else can one expect in such a dystopian world? The coinage of terms (both existing and yet to exist) in vicarious instant gratification culture of live streaming are spot on. The tone, tempo and the language are in perfect tandem with the theme. Honestly, this is one of your best stories I have read, Michal. Kudos to you for having given us another winner!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:48 Jan 25, 2023

Thanks, Suma! One of the nice things with near future stuff is, you get to play around with how language might develop. It's all fiction though, I'm pretty terrible at predicting slang :) I'm glad you enjoyed this darker, more chilling story. A bit of a change of pace, but it's good to stretch.

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
05:12 Jan 26, 2023

Good to know language development is one of the nice things to look forward to, though right now chatGPT is challenging teachers to up their gameplan 😅 . And I think you give far less credit to your talent than it deserves - you totally can predict slang, after generating a host of distinct voices in your pieces.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:47 Jan 26, 2023

Oh yeah, the stuff going on with AI right now is super interesting :) In teaching, definitely. In law, too. We've got AI competing with visual artists as well, and some that write articles. So I wonder how long before they start writing competent fiction? Interesting times :)

Reply

Suma Jayachandar
16:41 Feb 03, 2023

Congratulations, Michal! This story definitely deserved recognition.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:40 Feb 03, 2023

Thanks! It was a nice surprise :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Edward Latham
10:26 Jan 25, 2023

You do this horrific near-future vision of society stuff really well Michal. You pick something that is still new like streaming and tik-tok style interactions and explore the extremeties of where it could take us, and it's bone-chilling! Great twist at the end too

Reply

Michał Przywara
23:51 Jan 25, 2023

Thanks, Edward! It's definitely fun taking an idea to its extreme, seeing where the slippery slope takes us. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
C.B. Chribby
05:54 Jan 25, 2023

You are a master. There's no better way to put it. I could feel the anxiety building throughout the story as Jack seems to be a moral person but also carries a sinister lust for power. As a participant in social media, this story definitely strikes a nerve. In a service economy in which every interaction seems incentivized by fame or money, this dystopia of yours feels all too possible. I'll definitely be reading more-- thank you for writing great stuff.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:57 Jan 25, 2023

Wow, thanks, C. B.! That's high praise. Yeah, it seems like a really fast moving industry, and like a lot of gig work, there's not really any protections in place for the people in it. When it's good it's good, but plenty of room for exploitation. I appreciate the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

I've read this three times now. After the first reading, I felt the same way as after reading Shirley Jackson's The Lottery. Disgusted and in shock. Horrified. But there is a point to this story. What will we, the readers, do with this lesson you've given us? You wrote this in first person POV, an excellent choice. I, the reader, am forced to ask the question, "What would I do?" Your writing never came apart at the seams, and once Jack's voice started the ball really rolling, it never slowed down. Brilliant. The way you set the endi...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:54 Jan 25, 2023

Oh, you've made my day, Guadalupe :) I'm a big fan of Shirley Jackson's, and The Lottery stands out. A very unsettling tale. If this story in any way reminded you of that one, I'll count it as a success. And thank you for the edits! Yes, I completely agree about setup/set up. It's a hard error to spot, since neither is a typo and they sound the same when read aloud. For the other bit, yes, I can see how that's sending mixed signals, so I revamped it. The idea was that there were parallels between the two lines of work, but it's true, t...

Reply

Yes, I definitely think this is similar to The Lottery. Dark. Nasty. But yours has more suspense, in that we are not given the follow through of the final act. In The Lottery, at least we have a conclusion before the curtain is drawn. Here, the screen froze and crashed. And it’s perfect. The re-work for the early part makes it much clearer. I do see the parallels between the work (I) chose and the work (I) rejected—in both instances, you’re basically renting your body out. This way is seen by the protagonist as less humiliating, but only s...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
15:06 Jan 24, 2023

The online stress of giving a performance of some sort for likes. I loved this story. An angel of death has to make a decision. Where I live, this mercy killing is legal. It is scary to think about. But it is reality. Some say progress. Unwanted surveillance makes me think of the entire incident being online whether they liked it or not. They had no choice about whether or not the incident would go viral. This was a tightly written piece. Amazing what people perceive other people want to see to make something go viral. Human Nature to hav...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:46 Jan 24, 2023

"Human Nature to have to know and also human nature to look." Yeah, brilliant point! It's like the scene of any accident, people just have to have a peek - and I'm not judging, I'd be the same. With omnipresent surveillance, we could rubberneck from the comfort of our own homes :) Thanks for the feedback, Lily!

Reply

Lily Finch
23:40 Jan 24, 2023

YAW!LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Calm Shark
05:42 Jan 24, 2023

I love this type of genre of stories. I loved the ending because of the little twist and climax. The last sentence really hangs in there which causes a deep uneasiness. Love this story!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:47 Jan 24, 2023

Thanks, Shark! That's exactly what I was hoping the ending felt like :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:11 Dec 22, 2023

This was fantastic, it felt very Black Mirror!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:46 Dec 22, 2023

Thanks, Jess! It was a fun look at an uncomfortable near future - glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
H L McQuaid
21:16 May 14, 2023

Michal, great story! Would you be up for allowing me to adapt it into a short screenplay?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Darryl Roberts
00:24 Mar 05, 2023

Great story. I love near future dystopia and this hit the spot.

Reply

Michał Przywara
18:09 Mar 05, 2023

Thanks, Darryl! It was a fun one to write - I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ella J
01:00 Mar 01, 2023

Unbelievable. REALLY well written! Bravo! I didn't see that coming at the end at all, it took me by surprise but it really was an excellent, albeit dark, way to wrap it up. Best dystopian story I've read in a while. Keep it up, you're an utterly fantastic writer.

Reply

Michał Przywara
03:07 Mar 01, 2023

Thank you, Ella :) It was a fun story to write, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! Definitely a little darker than usual, but omnipresent surveillance seems to fit a darker story. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Hillier
14:03 Feb 09, 2023

cool

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:46 Feb 09, 2023

Thanks, Jack! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
13:28 Feb 09, 2023

*Throws cell phone down garbage disposal* Wow. Well done with this one. What’s so creepy about this is how realistic it truly is. The way you represented peoples’ conformity to the demands of “the platform” was eye opening and cringey. I think this is an important and meaningful piece of writing, and I was so glad to see you get shortlisted! You were due one 😉 I am quite behind on my Reedsy reading, but hope to get caught up on your latest stories soon!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:42 Feb 09, 2023

Thanks, Aeris! Happy to hear that :) When the idea for this one hit, it hit hard - which is nice, because it handles the "what should I write?" question. I think near future fiction is great for exploring where we might go (and what we might want to avoid). Although, it's also really hard to predict, given some of the things we invent, and the pace of it all.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Molly Kelash
16:33 Feb 07, 2023

This was MASTERFUL. Fantastic world-building worthy of Black Mirror (as someone else mentioned below, now that I look), with a slow burn to an ending that feels so right it was inevitable, but might not have happened in anyone else's hands. So many great lines I would run out of space pasting them here. What is so chilling is that it could be our world in the near future, where we have no moral compass, only the twin drives of social media trending and the almighty dollar. CHILLING--can I say it one more time?

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:40 Feb 07, 2023

Thank you, Molly! That's made my day :) Yeah, there's a lot of fun to be had pondering the near future (and how it can all go wrong). I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I appreciate the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Molly Kelash
16:22 Feb 07, 2023

Oh, sweet Jesus, this was chilling! Such incredible world-building in a short space--the perfect Black Mirror episode! Masterful blend of sci fi, comic moments and slow burn to horror, along with so many memorable lines, I wouldn't have room to paste them here. I bow to you, sir.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.