2 comments

Fantasy Adventure

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

Morana sat on a soft cushion in the highest tower of Castle Twilight. Her top hat tilted to the side. She had long black and white hair split down the middle with straight bangs, a tiny nose she sometimes painted red, and bright silver eyes that ran in the family.


Her head moved left and right while being lectured by the tall, olive-skinned sorceress dressed in a black robe made from spider silk who walked in circles around her. 


The sorceress’ coal-black hair cascaded down her waist and smelled like Cattleya orchids, while her voice was firm and elegant. Her poppy-red eyes bewitched most who met her.


The tower served as the sorceress’ study and personal observatory. Its design was octagonal, with big glassless windows and a silver chandelier that hung from the ceiling. On her walnut desk lay the skull of a foolish hero, a crystal ball, an inkpot, and a quill to write her poetry on a notebook she kept hidden in the drawer.


There were tomes, scrolls, and marble statues; a globe, and a telescope used to look at the vast cosmos. Castle Twilight was built in one of the darkest regions of the world where it was night most of the year.


Morana leaned forward to smell the orchid perfume, like a puzzled pup.


“Please, explain this, Miss Albion,” said the sorceress, holding up a flower with white petals.


“It’s an Alestria flower, teacher,” Morana said, holding up her index finger.


Astella, The Dark Comet, adjusted her monocle and removed the pointy hat that concealed her demon horns. And stomped on the floor with her boot made from salamander skin. 


“I just did what the book said.”


“It’s true,” muttered the talking cursed tome.


“Quiet, you,” she said and threw the tome past the skull belonging to Eldric, the brave.


It was a simple task: kill a flower in a pot with a basic spell of rot. Instead, the flower had sprouted beyond control and grew all over the castle. It was the easiest dark spell. No evil mage could fail, and the child’s lineage descended from Agra, The hope Eater.


The flower withered in her hand, and its petals fell before Morana’s eyes, before coming back to life.


“Don’t be so harsh on the girl,” Eldric said.


Astella pointed at the hero’s skull.


“Next time I’m aiming at you.”


Astella had attempted everything since the noble lady’s arrival: performed an eldritch ritual, bathed Morana in goat’s blood, hypnotism, and sent her to the land of the dead where she just ended up making friends with the restless souls.


Morana's father, Duke Albion, tasked Astella with his daughter's studies after the school had failed to set her straight.


She was the infamous slayer of heroes, scourge of the seraphs, and queen of The Dead Valley, Astella, the Dark Comet. Yet all attempts proved futile, for the girl could only perform light magic.


“Sorry,” Morana said. “I Just don’t know how to kill things.”


“Don’t apologize. I’ll come up with something,” Astella said. “Dismissed.”


***


Morana sat by the lagoon outside the castle as she contemplated all the lights in the sky. The Alestra flowers had propagated outside, releasing a pleasant fragrance.


Astella said the castle was built in the darkest place in Lulustra because it eased contact with the beings from beyond. Morana just found the view pretty and sat there every night until falling asleep, before mysteriously waking up in her bedroom every morning.

Her dispirited expression became a smile as she watched a shooting star pass by their little corner of the world.


***


Astella floated like a satellite in the center of the room.


“Think, Astella, Think,” she said as she spun around while her long sleeves billowed like lace ribbons.


 “Maybe you should just send her to a light mage. Fienna would happily take her in,” Eldric said.


“Don’t say that name in my presence.”


“Then…maybe send her back to her father?”


“What?! No. Unacceptable. Astella, the Dark comet, does not quit.”


“That's admirable, Lucy,” the skull said as the sorceress gave him a chilling stare. “I mean, Astella, but I think you should know even you have your limits.”


“Astella, The Dark Comet, does not. I will make the best evil sorceress out of that girl, or my name isn’t Astella.”


“Well, it isn’t, Lucy.”


“Who's Lucy?” Morana said, floating upside down, dangerously close to Astella’s face.


“Ahh...! “


Astella screamed, spun out of control, and nearly floated out of the tower. She didn’t know Morana’s levitation had improved so quickly.


“I wanted to ask If I may borrow your telescope again.”


“What? Umm Yes, go ahead.”


“Thank you, teacher.”


“Umm, don’t mention it.”


The little sunshine ray of positivity grabbed the telescope, set her feet on the ground, and walked merrily out of the tower.


“I told you, she’s no evil mage.”


"The tests said otherwise, and she certainly looks the part. Even if she acts as pure as a unicorn."


The sorceress raised her eyebrows.


“Hold on,” Astella said. "I think I’ve got it.”


“Please, don’t be The Despair Pit again.”


***


The next morning, Morana woke up from a pleasant dream where she was with her friends: the rabbit and the moon.


She made her bed, brushed her teeth, and fed her piranha, Mr. Fin. Then changed into a silk blouse, skirt, mismatched black and white knee-high stockings, half-cape, and boots with silver skull brooches. And didn't forget her top hat.


The castle was mostly empty. She levitated outside to greet the Dragon sentry perched on the clock tower. Any who attempted an attack on the Castle would face its gem dust breath. He was four-winged with pretty bismuth-like scales, and a pair of dusky eyes to match. Astella had found its egg in a meteor when she was about her age.


“Hey there, Alphaeus.”


A forked lizard tongue greeted her.


“Good to see you, Young Lady.”


Its scales glistened under the moonlight that lasted three seasons.


“My master requested me to inform you to meet her by the lagoon,” the ever-so-formal Dragon said.


“Is that right? Thanks,” she said before turning upside down. “How are the eggs doing, by the way?”


“They are well and should hatch this winter.”


“You promised you’d let me name one.”


“Certainly. I look forward to it.”


“I came up with the perfect one already.”


***


After saying ciao to Alphaeus, she traveled by foot to the lagoon, for she enjoyed walking more than levitation, which required more focus than she was capable of anyway.


“Good morning, teacher and Eldric,” Morana said.


Astella just stood there, arms folded; Eldric under her boot. Her steel gaze bounced off Morana’s oblivious disposition.


“Likewise, little lady,” Eldric said.


The sight of her pale flowers still on the castle grounds pleased her. When Astella tried to wither them they just grew back.


“What is it?”


“I have a quest for you,” Astella said. She snapped her fingers, which opened a portal like a rabbit hole in the ground.


Quest, the word alone, brought memories back to the skull.


Morana carelessly walked up to it, testing Astella’s patience. She squatted and made an o with her mouth as she looked into the abyss.


“This portal will take you to a distant forest where you must hunt a unicorn.”


“Unicorn? I didn’t know those were real.”


Astella and Eldric went silent for a moment as the wind blew across the valley.


“Yes, they are, in fact. And your quest involves slaying one and bringing its horn as proof.”


“I don’t wanna kill a unicorn. Besides, I don’t have any magic that can kill it.”


Astella had come prepared and pulled a sword out of her hat.


“I didn’t know you still had that,” Eldric said.


“This sword used to belong to this fool over here. It can easily kill a unicorn and anything that crosses your path.”


“But I don’t want to kill a unicorn.”


“If you don’t, the forest will kill you. Now get in there. And don’t come back without it.”


Morana sighed. She dipped her foot into the black hole and watched it disappear, and felt a breeze from the other side.


“I’m sure you’ll be fine, little lady,” Eldric said.


“She better be because you are going with her,” Astella replied.


“I’m sorry?”


“You heard me. Someone needs to teach her how to use it.”


The Sorceress grabbed the skull and threw him into the black hole in one shot.


“If this doesn’t bring out the darkness in her I don't know what will.”


***


Morana fell upside down holding the sword; her head in the clouds in more ways than one. The skull joined her in free fall as the portal closed above them.


“What are you doing, little lady?” 


“Ahh, yes, I forgot I can levitate,” Morana said.


“This will be the shortest quest I’ve been on.”


Morana wrapped the skull in her arms, whistled, and slowed down her fall until she was hovering above the ground.


Around them was a forest overrun by scarlet thorns, mist, and strange crooked trees with ashen leaves. Dragonflies hovered around, while some rested on branches. The mist concealed many glowing eyes that stalked the land.


She picked up the skull and held him in front of her nose.


“Do you know where to find the unicorns?”


“I can teach you how to track one.”


But the chase for the elusive creature had to wait. Eldric taught her how to make a fire and to forage for berries. She was having so much fun, she actually forgot she was supposed to be tracking a unicorn.


They rested by a bonfire while she ate sweet berries, staining her fingers and face red. The girl looked at the night sky. It was cloudy, not as starry as home, but still pretty.


“I Hope my teacher doesn’t forget we are here.”


“She never even forgets about her hair dye.”


“Teacher dyes her hair?”


“She’s blonde.”


“Really?”


“Her eyes, too. She wears contacts to look more sinister.”


“You know her well.”


“She thought keeping me alive in this form was torture, but I’ve made peace with it, and learned much along the way.”


“How did she defeat you anyway?”


“It’s a little embarrassing. During our battle, she used an illusion to turn into an old lover, Sir Caelen. And struck the killing blow in a moment of doubt.”


“Well, at least I’m glad I got to meet you, Eldric.”


“Likewise, Miss Albion.”


“Are her horns fake as well?”


“No. Her horns are real. As is that tail she’s so secretive about. Some mages hold devil hybrids in contempt.”


“Why?”


“I don't understand it myself.”


“I like teacher’s horns.”


“Make sure you let her know. She’ll appreciate it.”


***


Less than a week passed. And one day as they walked toward a river to get some water, Morana spotted the creature all by itself. It was a golden unicorn with an ivory horn and cerulean eyes.


“There it is,” whispered the skull.


“Shhh, you are going to scare it!” shouted Morana, causing the Unicorn to run away.


“Ah, there it goes,” Eldric said to the panicking girl who ran after the creature.


***


She was quick on her feet as she was uncoordinated and tripped on a pebble, dropped Eldric, got back on her feet, picked him up, and apologized to the skull. 


She followed the trail until she saw a group of 7 baby unicorns with tiny developing horns around a hollow tree. Her silver eyes sparkled as she walked toward them in a trance.


“They look so cute.”


The mother got between them, and Morana noticed the wound on her left hind leg.


“Don’t be afraid, sweet one,” Morana said. She dropped the blade and whistled a peaceful rhyme, making the flowers sprout from the barren soil.


The mother appeared puzzled but calm. Morana walked up to her, and slowly, with caution, whistled, and the wound healed along with all the scars.


“Lots of predators must be after the little ones,” Eldric said.

The unicorn's horn glowed in thanks.


“You're welcome, Mrs. Unicorn.”


She played with the little ones while their mother watched. A couple of them licked Eldric like a sugar cube, leaving him all moist. And by sunset, Morana hummed a dreamlike melody as the unicorns fell asleep.


“Miss Albion, I seriously need a bath.”


“I’ve got an idea,” Morana said.


After making sure the family was asleep, Morana grabbed the sword and approached the smallest unicorn. He was creamy white with a sky-blue mane and a blue, heart-shaped spot on his eye.


Morana sawed the horn with surgical precision, sticking out her tongue.


A divinity forged that sword from the soul of a titan. It took Eldric two years and cost him many fallen comrades to obtain it.


“I guess it beats fighting the mother,” the contemplative skull said.


“These grow back, right?”


“They shed them every winter.”


“I didn’t know that.”


Just as she removed the horn, Morana met a pair of teddy bear eyes. The little thing’s innocent stare was as petrifying as a gorgon’s.


“Don’t move. Just do it slowly.”


Morana gently removed the horn and stuffed it in her bag. She grabbed Eldric’s head and retreated into a bush without breaking eye contact with the unicorn.


Once out of sight, Morana released a deep breath.


“Do you remember the way back?” Eldric said.


She whistled gently, and an imperfect, luminous portal opened.


Morana picked up the skull and the sword and jumped feet-first into the portal.


***


Her head poked out in the middle of Astella’s study. her teacher appeared to be communing through the crystal ball with one of the eldritch beings, judging by her giggles. It looked like a young woman with red hair, freckles, and milky skin. The woman puckered her lips as Astella blushed.


“We’re back.”


“Hello, Miss Aderyn,” Eldric said.


“Lucy, who is that girl?” said the woman in the crystal ball. “Is she the student you told me about?”


Astella was quick to snap her fingers and the projection vanished.


“How much d-did you hear?” Astella said. Still stunned by their earlier-than-expected appearance.


“We just got here,” Morana said. “Was that an eldritch being?”


“I’ll explain later,” the skull said.


“I-I see you’ve returned."


Astella stood up and cleared her throat, attempting to salvage her image.


“Yes,” Morana said and marched forward and bowed before the dark sorceress, presenting her with the horn. “It was a lot of fun.”


Astella grabbed the horn, inspecting it up close. “Is this from… a baby unicorn?”


The dark sorceress stared at the red-stained, doe-eyed girl.


“I didn’t think…”


“Everything good?"


“I know I asked her, but I didn’t think she was this messed up,” whispered Astella as she turned around to face the window that overlooked the great valley.


“You’ve impressed me. You must certainly have unlocked the darkness within you. As soon as the-”


Before she could finish, something pulled her robe. She looked down and saw a hornless baby unicorn with teddy bear eyes eating her skirt.


The sorceress froze before releasing a scream that echoed all across the valley.


“G-Get it off!” she said as she pulled the skirt, tearing off the piece of fabric, and ran to hide behind the puzzled girl and the skull.


“Ahhh... I forgot to close the portal,” Morana said.


“T-Take it away. D-Do something!”


“What is happening to my teacher?”


“I think she’s Monocerophobic,” Eldric said.


“Monocerophobic?”


“She’s afraid of unicorns.”


“Why didn’t you mention it?”


“I didn’t know. If I did, I wouldn’t be here, would I?”


“Ah, that makes sense.”


“S-Stop talking you two, and do something about that beast.” 


She shouted in such a way that made Eldric thankful he didn’t have eardrums.


The baby unicorn stood there munching on the piece of silk fabric, unmindful.


***


The event ended when a mentally crumbling Astella produced a second portal and convinced Morana to take the unicorn back to its forest.


“Can I keep the horn?”


“Y-Yes... Just take it away.”


Morana guided the little unicorn back to its tree where its mother, brothers, and sisters lived. They gathered around their missing sibling. The mother stood by the little ones; her golden mane undulated in the wind. And a little pink-maned unicorn licked Morana’s hand.


“Ah, that tickles.”


She pushed the little guy forward and bid him farewell. But when she turned around, the unicorn was pulling from her skirt.


“Do you want mine, too?”


“I think he wants to come with us,” Eldric said to the girl who was in the process of unbuckling her belt.


“He does?”


Her eyes lit up, and her cheeks inflated like a pufferfish.


The mother walked behind her child and pushed the little one toward Morana.


“And she seems to agree.”


“But what about my teacher?”


“Let me worry about Lucy.”


***


And the girl and skull were back in the study, along with the baby unicorn, just in time to make Astella spit out her tea.


“What is t-that doing here again?!”


“George wanted to come with us,” Morana said.


“You named it already...”


“So we said yes.”


“Unacceptable.”


The girl folded her hands in prayer.


“Please let George stay.”


“Lucy,” Eldric said. “I happen to know Miss Aderyn quite well, and would love to make your relationship public anytime.”


“B-Blackmail...”


“You rubbed off on me,” Eldric replied.


“F-Fine. But you shall not bring it into my study,” Astella said.


Morana didn’t understand what was happening but was happy George would get to stay, and surprised her teacher with a hug.


“I can't wait to introduce him to Alpaheus.”


Astella sighed.


The unicorn happily looked at his new family.


May 20, 2023 00:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Nancy Hibbert
00:24 May 30, 2023

I wish I could give some advice for improving your story. But it found it really good. Very interesting. Intriguing characters. Easy to read and would have enjoyed reading more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Graham Kinross
00:16 May 24, 2023

Great story, Dan. The first of many I hope.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.