A Fountain of Falling Stars

Submitted into Contest #89 in response to: Start your story with a character taking a leap of faith.... view prompt

0 comments

Bedtime Fantasy Kids

There was once a poor girl called Haneefa who lived in a barn together with her mother. Every night the girl would sneak out and sit at their front porch to gaze at the falling stars. One day, her mother saw her sitting at their front steps, she sits beside her daughter and ask "What are you doing here at night Haneefa?" she asked while gazing at her daughter who's eyes are looking upward. "I am looking at the falling stars," said the daughter. "Yes they are beautiful to look at, but you still need to rest," said her mother. "Mother, I want to find the fountain where falling stars came from and make a wish that our lives will become better and we will become rich," Haneefa suddenly said, which caught her mother by surprise. "No one will ever find it because it is not real," said the mother. "But I can find it mother if I just believe in myself, I know I can!" she tried to convince her. Her mother was still unconvinced and dismissed her daughter's every attempt to persuade her. Haneefa continues to wake up every night and gazed at the falling stars. It made her woke up late every morning and unable to help her mother with the house chores or in taking care of the barn animals. Her mother had enough and locked her up in her room. "From now on, I will lock you up in your room until you realize that your dreams are impossible!" her mother scolded her. She felt sad, angry, and betrayed that her mother didn't even believe her, so she wears her yellow boots and waited until her mother had fallen asleep. Later that night, she opened her window and reach a tree near their house, which she used to climb her way down. "I will prove to my mother that the fountain is real." the girl said to herself as she went into the dark forest to search for the hidden fountain. The next day, her mother felt guilty, so she cooked her daughter's favorite food and went to her room to apologize to her. As she opened the door the room was empty and she could not find her daughter. "Where's my daughter!" cried the mother. She noticed a piece of paper lying at the bedside table and went near it. It said "Dear Mother, don't worry, I will come back and prove to you that the fountain is real" read the mother, as she sits down on the bed. She wished that she had never scolded her daughter and doubted her dream, that way she might not have left home. The mother could not do anything except only to cry for her lost daughter. Meanwhile, the girl was still searching and was starting to feel hungry. She had been walking for hours, yet there are no signs of the fountain. Haneefa begins to lose hope when suddenly she heard a tiny squeak. She looked down and saw a little white mouse with its tail trapped on Haneefa's boots. "Watch where you're going!" squeaked the mouse, while it tried to pull his tail off the boots. Haneefa hurriedly raises her boots to set the mouse's tail free. "I am sorry, I wasn't paying attention to where I am going," apologized Haneefa "I am Haneefa by the way, what's your name little mouse?" she asked as she bends down to talk to the mouse. "My name is Angelo, I was looking for food when you suddenly appear and step on my tiny tail," said Angelo as he rubs his swollen tail. "How about you? What are you doing in the forest?" he asked Haneefa as he crawled towards her. "I am searching for the fountain of falling stars, then I started feeling hungry, maybe that's the reason why I didn't notice you," she said to the mouse. "I know someone who can help you find the fountain! But first, you need to help me find something to eat" said the mouse while trying to climb up Haneefa's skirt. Haneefa picked up his new friend and put him on her shoulder. "I would gladly help you!" said Haneefa cheerfully as she continues to walk eagerly searching for something they can eat. Luckily, Angelo knew a lot about edible foods in the forest. They were able to collect a hand full of berries and nuts which they place on Haneefa's long skirt. "This would be enough for a three-person meal," said Angelo while looking at the skirt full of food. "Three? Who is the third person?" asked Haneefa, she didn't think Angelo would be living with someone. "I am living with my grandfather, he is the one you are looking for. The one and only mouse that knows the location of the fountain that you're referring to," Without hesitation, Haneefa followed the direction where Angelo pointed at. They arrived in front of a large weathered tree with a big hole at the center. The hole was big enough for her to enter. Angelo got down from her shoulders and went inside the hole. When she followed him and went inside, she fell and hit her face on the ground. “Ow!” she cried out in pain as she slowly lifted her head. Haneefa saw a miniature living room filled with small tables and chairs. She looked to her right and there was a small double-decker bed enough for two mice to sleep on. And to her left is a kitchen with a complete set of utensils. She was so amazed at what she saw, that she failed to notice a startled mouse in front of her. "Grandpa I am back!" yelled Angelo as he picked up the berries and nuts scattered all around the floor. "Angelo! Who is she? Why did you bring a human in our tree!?" asked the frightened old mouse to his cheerful grandson. Angelo explained everything to his grandfather while they were preparing for lunch, how he met Haneefa and why she followed Angelo to their tree. "So you are looking for the fountain of falling stars?" the old mouse asked Haneefa, who was sitting quietly at the corner. "Yes, sir I do! If I wish on that fountain, I would surely give my mother a better life’” replied Haneefa. The old mouse just nods his head as the three of them eat their lunch and chat the whole afternoon. When it was getting late, the old mouse decided to go outside, since the evening is the perfect time to search for a bright fountain. Haneefa carried Angelo and his grandfather on her shoulders as she climbed up towards the big hole of the tree. 

She noticed that it was already dark and stars had already formed up the sky. "If you really want to see the fountain then I will take you there, but once you find it, I will have to leave you and you must find your way back home on your own," said the old mouse as he looks intensely at Haneefa's eyes "But why must you leave me? Can't you just guide me back home? What if I get lost? What if I never get to go back home?" she asked, anxiously wondering why she needs to find her way home alone. "It is a test given by the fountain to those who want their wishes to be granted," said the old mouse, "If your wish is for good intention and if your heart's intentions would not change after getting your wish, then the fountain will turn you momentarily into a falling star that will lead you home, but if it's bad, then you will be turned into one of the stars that you adoringly stared at the sky, forever" warned the old mouse. The old mouse asked Haneefa to put them down and started crawling forward to the deeper part of the forest. They've cross tall weathered trees that look like a bunch of claws, muddy grounds that dirtied her yellow boots, and foggy paths that made her almost tripped while walking. It was getting darker, and the deeper they go within the forest the narrower the path they take. The old mouse suddenly stops and ahead of them is a deserted moldy fountain. "This is the fountain you have been looking for dear child," said the mouse "But why does it look dirty? It doesn't even shoot falling stars in the sky?" asked Haneefa, looking disappointed. All this time she taught that the fountain she believed in was true, but she was wrong. "Child be patient, all you need to do is say the magic word," the old mouse said as he cleared his throat, "Wish! Wish! Wish Upon me! Let your dreams be free!" shout the mouse. Suddenly a burst of blinding lights soared up the sky making Haneefa cover her eyes with her hands. When she peeks behind her hands, the moldy fountain changed into a glittering gold color. Instead of water, bright lights filled the fountain’s basin. It was truly a sight to behold, "Wow! I have never seen anything like this before." exclaimed Haneefa, as she approaches the golden fountain. She looked back and saw the old mouse and Angelo crawling away "Now that you are here, it's time for us to go, good luck Haneefa, may your wishes come true," said the old mouse as he and Angelo wave their tiny paws to say goodbye to Haneefa and shortly after they disappear behind the fog. She realized the sadness of not seeing each other again when the mice left as she continues to head back towards the fountain. When she came closer she heard a serene voice, "Make a wish, I shall grant it for your bliss, but be warned, an intention full of malice, makes a soul lost forever in my forest" said the serene voice, that is coming from the fountain. "I don't mean any harm to anyone dear fountain," said Haneefa, "I just wish for my mother to have a good life, a happy life full of treasures," she earnestly wished into the fountain, crossing her arms and closing her eyes, to prove her sincerity. For a few seconds, nothing happened, then the lights pulled Haneefa into the fountain's basin. Haneefa was too surprised that she was unable to move or do anything. Bright light surrounds her everywhere, yet she wasn't scared. In fact, she felt sleepy. Slowly she closes her eyes and gives in to sleep. Back at the barn, Haneefa's mother was still in mourning. She misses her little girl dearly. At night she waits on their front porch and gazes at the falling star just like Haneefa would normally do before. One night, when she went to their porch, She saw the brightest light she had ever seen, heading towards their house. As it draws nearer into the house, everything starts to change. Their house turned into a mansion, their old dusty furniture change into new and extravagant ones. There once muddy barn became a flowery garden and the animals turned into maids and butlers. Lastly, her clothes also change into a beautiful blue gown adorned with shimmering diamonds and pearls. Finally, the light descended gently into her arms, and behold her little girl was back. Haneefa gently opens her eyes and smile towards her mother, "I told you the fountain is true," she said to her mother. "Yes, I believe you! I will never doubt your dreams again my lovely Haneefa," her mother cried out, embracing her daughter tightly in her arms. And for the rest of their lives, Haneefa and her mother lived a happy and wonderful life, full of riches, love, and dreams that continues to come true. The End.

April 14, 2021 08:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.