Contest #192 shortlist ⭐️

35 comments

Fiction Sad Horror

I liked to learn words by fives: Jerry, Perry, scary, betterment, elephant. 


'An elephant! Look, look!' I shouted in excitement. A elephant, a child of twilight, slowly plodded between bare trees across the road. Its tusks were not white as I saw in movies about animals but more like unhealthy grey. One tusk's end was broken. Elephant's eyes didn't look bright. They were dull as the tires of cars that passed beneath my window. 


I looked back toward the bathroom. There were no familiar sounds. I climbed from the stool and walked to the washing machine. Some buttons were red; I knew the washing cycle was over. I tried to open the washing machine's door to insert a new washing capsule, but it was locked. I had to wait five minutes for it to open. That was too much silence to bear. I stood still before the washing machine until all the lights were out and then pressed the 'on' button. I watched as a T-shirt that had colored other clothes red started to spin again. Tasmanian Devil on it scratched the washing machine's insides, its smile stretching and stretching, unable to follow its body. Finally, the T-shirt disappeared, replaced by a red bedsheet that once had been white. For a split second, I saw a tiny red leg of my hamster Jerry. It often escaped of its cave and hid in the basket for dirty clothes. Mom must have put it into the washing machine. I saw a video of a prank where boys put a cat into the washing machine and then took out what was left of the cat. It became red, and in some places, hair was torn out. Its eyes were red too.


For the first time, I thought that maybe, the clothes became red because of the hamster. It was so tiny, yet it had so much blood that it made all clothes red.


I listened to the humming sound of the working washing machine. I saw the buttons flaring one after another in the usual manner. The outside of the screen looked dusty, and I followed its contours with my finger. My mom promised to wash it every weekend, but then the weekend came, and she was too tired to do anything.


I saw Jerry's brown-black back stuck in the red T-shirt's sleeve. I could return to the window to watch the elephant.


Before I saw the elephant again, my face reflected at me from the window. There were five words with which my mom characterized me: too skinny, too wide-eyed, too freckled, too demanding, already 7-year-old.  


The elephant had disappeared. It must have gone down the hillside toward the river down below. Impenetrable darkness and its allies, shadows, filled the space where the elephant had once been. The melting snow lumps here and there, between dry last year's grass, resembled thrown-away diapers. The full, pale-yellow moon appeared in the sky. I knew the moon didn't go anywhere during the day; we just couldn't see it because of the bright sun. I saw a piece of bright-yellow strip stuck to one of the lower tree branches near the road. Depending on the wind, it entangled around the branch or limply hung from it. From my mom's telephone conversations, I knew a car had hit a pedestrian on the roadside two days before. If I squinted, I could see the yellow lights of lampposts becoming one shiny line, not isolated circles of color amidst the night. I thought there were so many hues of yellow: yellow-sun, yellow-moon, yellow-light, or yellow-strip - but I couldn't explain the beauty of colors in such simple words as 'yellow.' The difference between the elephant's grey and its trunks' grey was insurmountable. The dreadful grey of the last year's grass frightened me the most. The grass rustled underfoot, and a dead mouse could be under any hillock. There were so few words for so many hues of grey and yellow and red.


The hit pedestrian was a bunch of blue - her coat - and red, the hue of red as of the clothes in the washing machine.   


I didn't turn on the lights. Instead, I watched the world become dark grey. The road under the lampposts' lights glistened after the recent rain. Soon, the light frost would turn the road into a skating rink.


'A skating rink! I can skate!' I shouted and got afraid of how small my voice sounded. There were no calming sounds in the apartment. The clock had stopped working many months ago, and my mom always promised to repair it on the weekend, but when it came, she could do nothing.


Long thoughts without end in my head were my friends in the darkness, where space and words became irrelevant. I could go to the window in my mother's room which overlooked a neighboring building. I could have watched people watching TV in the distinctly recognizable TV-blue light. Their faces would have looked waxed, and their dogs that barked at me would have lied sleeplessly near the armchairs. I could have imagined the heavy dangling of the pans being pulled out of a cupboard and the aromas of frying potatoes and meatballs. I could have swallowed the saliva that still dripped onto the windowsill, no matter how hard I could have tried not to think about the pans and fries.


I didn't turn on the lights. In the darkness, words became irrelevant and came to me hurriedly, hiding in my head from the advancing shadows. The elephant could have been born only in the twilight, not at night.


I learned words by fives: daylight, twilight, night, mom's back, snack.  


I climbed from the stool and sneaked to the washing machine, side-stepping the dead-black corners. I squeaked when a mixture of grey and white, with dark-grey lines on its back, started to move toward the bathroom. I could have shouted or shrieked, but what was the point of screaming when nobody was around? The thought that no familiar sounds drowned out the silence made me cry out.


The ball stopped and stood on its hind legs, sniffing the air. Then the ever-moving shadows sucked it in. 


For the first time, I thought that maybe I had two hamsters instead of one. Some buttons glowed red in the darkness of the bathroom; I knew the washing cycle had ended. I tried to open the washing machine's door to insert a new washing capsule, but it was locked. I had to wait five minutes before the washing machine door would open. The tense silence of the apartment was becoming more and more unbearable. I could almost hear its buzzing in my ears, and it was becoming more and more pronounced. After the buttons switched off automatically, I pressed the 'on' button. The washing machine trembled faster and faster, and the red hamster's fur, pressed against the screen on the inside, wasn't white anymore.  


Mom's keys jingled behind the front door. The grey of her keys was akin to the grey of the spoiled mashed potatoes on the stove.  












April 06, 2023 21:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

35 comments

Brandi Martin
04:31 Jun 07, 2023

good job I loved it

Reply

Darya Silman
17:38 Jun 07, 2023

thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
16:31 Apr 29, 2023

Hi Darya, Congratulations on this amazing shortlist. I, too, loved the child’s point of view and thought you did brilliantly at giving us adult bread crumbs to follow along. You did an amazing job of using the imagery of the washing machine while talking about the hamster, specifically. I also loved the repetition of “five words”. It’s always interesting to play with how we learn a language because it changed our perspective so much in the world. You did a great job and I have to say my favorite line was the very last one. Nice work!!

Reply

Darya Silman
04:28 May 02, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:14 Apr 24, 2023

Nice, its hard to write from child eye's POV, but you really captured the dream like quality of thinking in early childhood. They talk like little adults around that age, but live in a magical reality where things are not really connected to together. I thought it was powerful at the end when we realize he's alone, and suddenly think about why mom wasn't home, and there might be a lot going on outside the childs perception.

Reply

Darya Silman
12:11 Apr 24, 2023

thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
18:26 Apr 21, 2023

What a talented writer you are! Congrats on this shortlist. I must have missed it a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for reading my 'Trampled dreams.'

Reply

Darya Silman
05:12 Apr 22, 2023

The pleasure of reading is mutual. Thank you!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
05:19 Apr 22, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
19:04 Apr 20, 2023

I recently, I am beginning to notice that the plot of a short story can start and bed in a small enclosure and still hold interest. Congrats, fibe work.

Reply

Darya Silman
08:09 Apr 21, 2023

it's the forgotten skill, not the new invention. if you take Walt Whitman, Sherwood Anderson, Virginia Woolf, Ernest Hemingway, Marcel Proust, you'll see all of them preferred to go from small things to larger ones. Our fast pace of life dictates that we enjoy books of the same kind: rushed adventures, extreme feelings, and unexpected plot twists. No info dumps, no long descriptions. If only we stopped to notice small things...

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
06:53 Apr 22, 2023

Totally agreed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:10 Apr 17, 2023

This was amazing! MY JAW DROPPED THIS WAS SO GOOOOD it was very sweet and sensitive amazing!

Reply

Darya Silman
18:17 Apr 18, 2023

thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lera Wilson
19:05 Apr 17, 2023

best story ever written, and ive been on this website for 4 days

Reply

Darya Silman
18:17 Apr 18, 2023

thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Richard E. Gower
11:57 Apr 15, 2023

Shortlist well deserved. -:) Cheers! RG

Reply

Darya Silman
18:18 Apr 18, 2023

thank you for your comments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
18:54 Apr 14, 2023

Congrats on the shortlist! Well deserved. This is a creepy piece. Very effective.

Reply

Darya Silman
05:49 Apr 15, 2023

thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Roxane Llanque
16:50 Apr 14, 2023

Well, this is the first horror story I ever read that is both sensitive and sweet. And to make it actually work! Awesome piece :)

Reply

Darya Silman
05:51 Apr 15, 2023

thank you. I didn't intend it to be sweet because of the loneliness and the lack of senses my heroine demonstrates. If she were in sorrow or grief, that would be more understandable than putting the washing machine on and on with a dead hamster in it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
15:42 Apr 14, 2023

CONGRATULATIONS on being shortlisted for this story. Good for you

Reply

Darya Silman
05:51 Apr 15, 2023

thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McKenzie West
16:29 Apr 13, 2023

very good

Reply

Darya Silman
05:51 Apr 15, 2023

thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Richard E. Gower
11:16 Apr 09, 2023

Wow, all of the elements of horror are there, including gore. Captured the apprehension and panic in the mind of a seven-year-old child with a vivid imagination left alone, who sees her pet hamster come to grief and can't do anything about it. Well written.-:) The idea of learning words in fives is also interesting and intriguing. My Father used to say that a person could learn something new every day...-:) I have a question that I am hesitant to ask, because I know that some writers are sensitive about having their choice of words questi...

Reply

Darya Silman
12:00 Apr 09, 2023

Thank you so much for pointing out my word choice. It was a typo. I am amazed nobody noticed it, except for you (or they didn't dare to ask). English is not my first language, so similar sounding words sometimes get mixed up. In my childhood, I was the child watching out of the window. Somebody was always present, but I still felt lonely because I stayed home a lot during the elementary school; I got sick very often. I imagined that aliens had abducted all people, including my relatives, and kept them in the hill below my window. And alien...

Reply

Richard E. Gower
12:21 Apr 09, 2023

Understand about typos. -:) Someone on this (Reedsy) forum said it first and better, but, pesky things, words. -:) This was a great story, and well told. For someone whose first language is not English, you use it very well. I read and write French as a second language and am always struggling to do better. -:) Cheers! RG

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kiera Lawley
23:38 Apr 07, 2023

Wow. Your story left me in tears at first for the hamster, and then for the child. Breathtaking. Haunting.

Reply

Darya Silman
06:50 Apr 08, 2023

thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jo Boyle
23:34 Apr 06, 2023

Your writing is visceral; disturbing; enigmatic. And dark. You warned me about the hamster, but I had not at all expected THIS. The indifference of the speaker towards its demise seems cold at first, but by the end, it seems that death cannot compete with the misery of loneliness, nor the many frightful shades of grey, nor the overwhelming burden of silence. Enthralling. Well done!

Reply

Darya Silman
05:54 Apr 07, 2023

thank you, love! You are more than kind toward me

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lera Wilson
19:05 Apr 17, 2023

i love this story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
16:36 Apr 26, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.