0 comments

Christmas Fantasy Thriller

“Come on kids!” yelled Samuel up the stairs. He was due in school ten minutes ago. He was a primary school teacher. As the sound of dropping Xbox remotes echoed from upstairs, Samuel put on his shoes and coat.

“Hurry up guys!” He pleaded with his eldest, Mollie aged 9 and his youngest, Sebastian aged 6 as they bounded down the stairs.

“We’re coming Dad, chill out!” Replied Mollie sarcastically. Samuel was in no mood for sarcasm today.

“Seb, have you got your lunchbox today?” Reminded Dad.

“Doh!” Replied Seb, as he slapped his hand on his head and ran into the kitchen to grab it. Eventually, they made it out of the house. The crisp December air danced up their nostrils and the frozen ground looked like a scene from the North Pole. Samuel turned to lock the door, whilst the children ran up the driveway towards the car. Snow was falling from the sky in small flakes. “That’s strange...” muttered Samuel. “It’s not due to snow” he thought.

“Morning Mr Clorse!” Said the postman cheerily as he bounded up the driveway in his shorts.

“Morning Ross....” sighed Samuel, he knew the postman loved a chat and he was already way too late to stop. “Can’t stop mate, any chance you can post that through the door?” Asked Samuel.

Seb and Mollie were impatiently tugging at the door handles, whilst Samuel fumbled for his keys. Finally, the three of them all bundled into the car, and the day had begun.

***

Bells rang in the distance as the elves gathered around the North Pole. All dressed in black rather than their traditional greenery. A pathway had been left through the middle for the arrival of their leader. A chiming sound grew closer with every second. Elves stood row on row and linking arms in a show of solidarity. Some had tears cascading from their faces; others had bowed heads in silence. The chimes of reindeer bells reached the end of the walkway and came to a calm stop. Each reindeer had a black bauble attached to their antlers. Mrs. Clause stepped out of the carriage onto the pathway. Mrs. Clause was dressed in black, her beautiful blonde hair was overflowing out the back of her hood. A handkerchief bearing the initial SC, was pressed closely to her mouth. Her other hand was holding on tightly to Noelle; the head elf. She began to walk down the path towards the red and white North Pole which stood at 15 ft tall. Behind her, senior toy makers carried a red and green coffin. Their heads bowed in respect. Row after row of elves in unison also bowed as the coffin passed them by. By now Mrs Clause was sobbing uncontrollably, as she continued to walk in front of her husband towards the North Pole: never taking a moment to glance back. As the coffin neared the front, a soft, low singing broke out.

The song floated on the wind across the North Pole, over glaciers and across mountains. Reindeer’s, polar bears and narwhals all bowed across the land in sorrow. The elves now rose to their feet as the coffin was placed in front of the North Pole. Without warning, a light appeared. It floated slowly down towards the coffin. Mrs. Clause turned her back sobbing profusely into her handkerchief. Eventually, the light came to rest on the top of the coffin. Again in unison, all of the elves rose their hands to the sky. The box began to rise up the side of the pole.

Mrs. Clause turned to gaze at the spectacle one last time as she kissed her hand, opened her palm and blew in the direction of the coffin. Her heart broke. The coffin neared the top of the pole. A bright light like no other flashed and... The coffin had gone. He was gone. Snow began to fall peacefully, as the crowd turned and walked back towards the village in silence.

***

“What a day!” Exclaimed Samuel as he and the kids bundled through the door. His wife, Martha, was sat in the kitchen. As Mollie and Seb ran towards her, she moved from the chair down to her knees and embraced them.

“Aw hey team, how was school?” She asked.

“Alright” answered Mollie, she was already turning into a teenager at the age of 9.

Samuel strolled into the kitchen and noticed the post on the sideboard.

“Oh, there’s some for you today Sam” Martha said pointing to the post. He nodded and started to sift through it. At the bottom of the pile was a green envelope with a chequered red border. On the front printed in gold was:

URGENT

FAO: Mr. Samuel Clorse

15 Allenby Rd

Kent

OR23 8FG

Samuel stared at the writing. He turned the envelope over in his hands and pondered for a second. The envelope felt as a light as a feather. Without further ado, he opened it. Samuel pulled out a beige coloured letter from the envelope. It was written in olde English handwriting. It read:

Dear Mr Clorse,

I am cordially inviting you to attend a meeting at the North Pole on Saturday 15th December at 3pm.

A sleigh will arrive to pick you up at 2pm sharp. Please be on the roof in preparation. Pierre, the head of sleighing, will instruct you of the process on your journey.

With best wishes,

Noelle (Head Elf)

‘Got to be a wind up!’ Thought Samuel, thinking about which of his friends would be so stupid. Samuel hadn’t realised that his mouth was ajar until Martha spoke “Are you ok Sam? What’s the matter?” She asked concerned.

“Huh?! Oh, nothing love, just a Christmas message from Nan, same old waffle; you know what she’s like!” He smiled and tucked the letter into his back pocket.

“Now what’s for tea?” Sam asked, changing the subject quickly.

Samuel tossed and turned in bed that night like an irritated school child.

“Dad, Dad.... wake up!” Seb demanded. Samuel slowly opened his weary eyes and Seb came into view, he was stood over him like a watchful nanny.

“What is it Seb?” Groaned Samuel through a yawn.

“I’ve completed my puzzle!” Said Seb excitedly.

“Lovely Seb, I’m pleased for you buddy.” Said Samuel with no enthusiasm as he rolled over again. Seb ran out the room.

“Get up lazy bones!” Came the cry from his wife downstairs. “We’ve got things to do today!” Slowly, Samuel pulled off the quilt and sat on the side of the bed. It was Saturday. He picked up his trousers, which he’d thrown on the floor before getting into bed last night, and removed the letter from the back pocket. He re-read the letter and still couldn’t get his head around it. ‘Should I speak to Martha?’ He pondered. He knew what she’d say, he could hear it. ‘Stop messing about, it’s all nonsense.’ He decided to just leave it be. He jumped out of bed and put on his warm, fluffy gown and made his way downstairs into the smell of fresh coffee and warm bacon. His stomach started to rumble just at the thought of tucking in.

As the morning went on, Samuel’s focus was on the clock. ‘2pm, on the roof’ kept flooding his thoughts. 11 o’clock came and went, as did midday. One o’clock passed and Sam began to feel a nervous knot form in his stomach.

“Shall we go out?” He suggested to his family.

“Where?” Replied Martha, “its freezing outside.” She added.

“I don’t know, anywhere!” Snapped Sam.

“Err Sam, Kitchen now!” Replied Martha, keeping her cool, but a stern face told another story. Sam reluctantly followed Martha to the kitchen.

“What’s up with you today?” She demanded. “You’ve been acting all jittery” she added.

Samuel sighed and looked at the ceiling. He knew he had to tell his wife, the anxiety was eating him up.

“Look...” he pulled out the letter and held it in front of Martha. Martha read the letter.

But before she could respond a loud crash sounded from above.

“What the......” exclaimed Samuel, as he rushed outside. Martha and the kids followed closely behind him. By the time they reached Samuel, he was stood in the front garden looking up at the roof with his mouth ajar, hands on his hips and staring upwards. Martha, still holding the letter, glanced at the roof, down at the letter and then up at Samuel. Their eyes met in disbelief. On the roof were two brown reindeer with large antlers, a short fellow in a green cloak with a stocking like green hat (presumably Pierre the elf) and a golden edged sleigh.

“Sleigh transport for....” squeaked the Elf looking at his hand. “Mr Samuel Clorse” he finished, staring down at the family with a wide grin as though this was all just totally normal. Samuel continued to stand with his mouth ajar. “Well....” enquired Pierre. “What are you waiting for Sir? We have a meeting to get you too!” He exclaimed, with his arms abreast.

Samuel opened his mouth to speak but the words wouldn’t come out. Eventually, Martha spoke up.

“Well don’t just stand there numb nuts! Get up there!” She demanded.

“Wh..wha.. what?” Stuttered Samuel in response. “I can’t just, up and leave!” He added perplexed.

“You have got a chance to go to the North Pole! That’s an incredible opportunity!” She said excitedly. Samuel was mystified. The woman, who basically thought he was mental only ten minutes ago in the kitchen, was now actively insisting he get into a sleigh with an elf and presumably fly halfway way around the world.

“Absolutely not, I have work on Monday. Besides, I don’t think Headteacher Fallon would be impressed if I ring in with the excuse of - sorry I flew to the North Pole on a reindeer at the weekend so I won’t be in” Samuel was nearly breathless and certainly delirious. 

After many minutes of too and fro with his wife and children, Samuel finally fetched the ladder from the shed and made his way up to the roof. Pierre was sat twiddling his thumbs with his feet up on the side of the sleigh like a petulant child.

“Ready to go then?” Pierre asked Samuel rolling his eyes.

“Errr yeah... I err… guess so” nervously replied Samuel looking down at his family.

“Right you are, jump in next to me and buckle up - we’re pushed for time now!” Pierre sniggered. Samuel manoeuvred his way carefully around the rooftop and set himself down in the sleigh. The seat was fluffy and padded like a new sofa. Samuel ran his fingers along the front of the sleigh and felt the smoothness of the polished oak. Pierre gave a wry look towards Samuel as he tugged hard on the reigns. Without warning, Samuel was flung backwards into the seat as the reindeer took flight.

Wind rushed through his hair like he was in a wind tunnel. The sleigh swung from side to side as Pierre clung to the reigns. Samuel had his hands firmly gripped to the side of the sleigh. Slowly, the reindeer started to level out and Samuel could reposition himself in the seat.

“This is Sleigh 1 calling North Pole command, do you copy... over?” Pierre spoke clearly into his mouthpiece.

“This is NPC we copy you SP1 what’s your status... over?” Came a crackled reply through the centrepiece on the sleigh. Samuel couldn’t believe how sophisticated this all was and also how absolutely bloody mental it was.

“Candidate Samuel Clorse is en-route, running slightly behind due to indecision, but we should be landing at approximately 2.47pm ... over? Replied Pierre.

“Roger that SP1, we shall ensure you’re clear for landing... over” Came the voice over the radio again.

As the sleigh flew high above the ground, Samuel could see endless miles of glistening oceans. In the distance a glow of white bounced off green and yellow streams of light. The golden rays of sunshine warmed him as the bitter breeze still fluttered through his hair. All of a sudden, Pierre tugged on the reigns and the reindeer took a dive. Samuel’s stomach churned like a washing machine as they plummeted towards the ground. A thick quilt of white surrounded him, as snow and sleet blurred his vision. Pierre now had goggles on as he meandered his way down towards the North Pole. Small lights came into view as they began to slow, and Samuel could make out a small runway. Surely they were coming in too fast?

“Brace yourself, Sir!” Shouted Pierre above the whirring of the wind. Samuel clung to the side of the sleigh for dear life. He closed his eyes and thought of home.

Smack! Bash! The sleigh hit the frozen ground at force. Samuel was again thrust backwards into the seat. His fingers were so numb where he’d gripped so tightly. Eventually, the sleigh slowed to a stop and Samuel’s heart rate started to slow back to normal.

He made his way out of the sleigh and thanked Pierre for the lift. A team of small green-suited elves came rushing towards him. Before he could say hello, they whisked him away towards a snow covered, brown building. It was delightfully warm inside and even smelt like Christmas!

“This way Mr. Clorse!” Said an elf pointing to a tunnel. Samuel followed on instinct, he had no idea what was going on or even where he was. The tunnel was lit by a red stream of light, as he made his way behind the elves. Finally, they came to a large stone door. The elf at front stopped and withdrew a key from a hidden pocket inside his cloak. Samuel couldn’t help but notice that there was no lock. A lock appeared as the elf moved the key towards the stone. Some of the younger elves looked at Samuel’s bemused face and started to giggle among themselves. The elf quickly entered the key into the lock and turned it three times. With that, the stone door rolled aside to reveal a bustling room. Loads of elves of all shapes and sizes moving around in all directions. Some holding clipboards, some with toys or tools in hand; others carrying mugs and plates. A large glass dome encapsulated the building like a snow-globe. Samuel tried to look at everything at once as he stepped into what could only be described as a multiplex of madness!

“Come on Sir, this way” said the elf. Samuel continued to follow whilst trying to take everything in. Samuel was led through a double door and then asked to sit on a small chair, the likes that he’d seen down in Yr 1 at school, and told to wait. Samuel thanked the elf as he trotted off back through the doors. Samuel looked down at his feet, he was twitching in the chair unable to keep still. It seemed like hours passed before a very well dressed elf opened the adjacent door.

“We’re ready for you now Mr Clorse.” She said. Samuel rose from his seat, brushed himself down and made his way into the room. It was large and spacious with a round table at the centre. A gorgeous fire place was lit with a slow crackling fire burning away. He sat down opposite a woman in a red cloak, who wore a serious frown.

“Welcome, Mr. Clorse. I am Noelle the head elf, thanks so much for coming.” She began, as she climbed into her seat.

“Of course, no problem” Replied Samuel nervously. The woman next to Noelle began to lean forward as she spoke “Mr Clorse, it is with a heavy heart that I am informing you of the death of my late husband, Nicholas Clause - also known to you in England as Father Christmas.” Samuel immediately realised she was in fact Mrs Clause.

“I am so sorry for your loss Ms Clause” started Samuel. “However, what does that have to do with me?” He enquired with a puzzled look. Noelle and Mrs Clause glanced at each other and smiled.

“Well, Mr Clorse.” Replied Mrs. Clause. “It is my pleasure to inform you that you are the successful replacement for the new Father Christmas” she added.

“The what?” Samuel spurted. “How? What? When?” He became tongue tied with all the questions that flooded his perplexed mind all at once. “My job? I have children to teach, they need me!” Cried Samuel.

“Mr. Clorse please calm down” pleaded Noelle.

“We will cope this Christmas, Pierre, Cedric (head of present distribution), Micky (Head of Navigation control) and I, should be able to complete the necessary duties this year.” She continued.

“You have one year to get your affairs in order and return here at the start of December, next year” added Mrs Clause. Samuel put his head in his hands.

“What if I say no?” He said finally looking up. Mrs Clause and Noelle said nothing. They stared with fright at Samuel for at least a minute. He felt like he’d just dropped a bomb on the table. Mrs Clause eventually cleared her throat.

“If you decline, there will be no Christmas for the girls and boys of the world. No waking up to presents on Christmas morning, the magic will be gone. The elves will be left to fend for themselves in an unforgiving world. Do you want that on your conscience?” she spoke with a fierce purpose.

“No.... no of course not” replied Samuel

“It’s settled then, we shall see you back here in just under a year's time” stated Mrs Clause, as she rose from the table and left the room with Noelle right behind her.

Samuel just sat in the chair and let out a whimper. What was he supposed to do now? He didn’t even apply for this, nor did he ever think he’d ever get the chance to be ‘The’ Father Christmas.

December 17, 2020 17:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.