2 comments

Adventure Fantasy Fiction

Animal Ties

jchinrichsen88a@gmail.com

Jordero Jungles. The Festive Animal Hunt goes on in Fort Anant celebrating the gift of animals not only as food but also a hunt for an exotic pet. Has been going on for several years.

After the Great Shaman druid, Ha-bib sacrificed himself to the Jul-tan Dragon He-long to save a group of people and their livestock from the hippo-dragon of Jul-tan folklore. It is with this festival the citizens of Jul-tan celebrate his sacrifice.

In order to control the high flow of exotic pet hunters, the Warden Circle of Jul-tan must act as the Island's Watch and Game Enforcement officers. So that the hunters do not take more than intended. Warden Quint Bering and his partner pygmy officer Chloe-tar Zara-samba and his druid Genie Serena Iyil the vibrant have been asked to assist the warden Council of Fort Anant.

Quint today wears a hide tee shirt and shirts and carries his noted scimitars and ax along with his warden badge. Serena wears her noted fashion hide leather armor that makes males look twice when they see the water genie. Newcomer Chloe-tar has his fashionable tee shirt like his partner and has his bald-head polished tartly over his tattoo head. Chloe-tar and Serena carry daggers but Chloe-tar has a short-bow and net in his bamboo basket backpack. “ So Chief, what are we supposed to do. I was thinking of hitting up the pygmy market since it has been slow today.”

“Cholt, that is fine but right now we need to pay a judge on a group of hunters here for the festivities. So NO veg-pygmy juice until later.” Quint gives his small partner a hard look with his dark eyes.

“You are all heart Chief.”

“He is trying to keep you sober, Ch-lot in case we need your hunting skills in this hunt.”

“Okay but I am only doing it for you, Lady Serena not for Quint the hard-ass.”

“You are too kind Cholt” comments Quint as the group approaches a small band of hunters riding a pair of Jul-tan elephants. The main difference between Jul-tan elephants and regular elephants besides size is the small tusk protruding in the bow of its head and trunk. The Jul- tan elephant wails skittish but is calmed down by the elephant herder known as Rash-id.

“The elephants are nervous for the hunt, Warden but I will have them calm down.” Comments the small dark-skinned man in hiding armor. “Your hunters are at the lodge. Calm down Sheba.”

“Thanks, Rash-id, see ya soon.” Smiles Quint to the small pygmy elephant herder. “Ch-lot help him out Okay.”

“Sure Chief.” Ch-lot joins the Rash=id in calming down the elephants.

Hunting Lodge.

Quint and the others join their tourists. Quint recognizes the one group of people looking over to Ch-lot and Serena.”That tall lank man surrounded by two ladies is Prince Anshan and his two partners I guess Ladies Masa and Nasta. Both are of the Nagua tribe. Fierce hunters and trackers..” Quint goes over to greet three guests and bows before the trio.

“Welcome Prince Anshan and Ladies ready for another grand hunt.”

The tall lank brown-skinned man has a bone nose-pierce and smiles with excitement to Quint and his team. “ Quinton it is good to see you again. I continue to try and find my prized pet in the calculating eyes of He-long. You know the ladies I assume.”

“Officially but not personally Prince.” Rises the half-giant Warden “And who is our last guest?” Staring to a white man with long black and gray walrus mustache in hiding armor.

“ I am Peter Vorster, Warden.” Stands the large man carrying a pair of heavy crossbows and two machetes on his belt.

“Aren't you overloaded Laird Vorster,” comments Chloe

“Perhaps I am Halfing but you can never be ready for the beasts of this land.” He Shrugs arrogantly at his team. “For my hunt is far grander than your festivities.”

“I am a pygmy, Laird Vorster, the Halflings are my northern cousins.”

“Whatever you say little man. So where do we begin our hunt Lads and Lasses?”.

“Right this way, Laird Vorster.” Comments Warden as he boards a large black great-cat.

Joined by Serena.

“What an arrogant northern, Quint. I guess the merchant council got paid under the pockets,”

“We better keep an eye on him, Serena. Ch-lot and Rash-id lead the way.”

Jul-tan jungles. By mid-day, the heroes and their hunters arrive at a small Savannah pasture pulling aside to set up base camp. Quint raises his closed fist as the small caravan comes to a

halt.” We will be camping here. So take some time to track the lands for the creatures you are looking for. Prince you know the rules perhaps explain them to laird Vorster so he does not go overboard on stuff.”

“I shall Quinton, Come to Laird Vorster let me explain our rules and share some Nagua mead with my bodyguards. .” comments good naturally Prince Anshan as he gets off his Jul-tan elephant.

'I am intrigued, your highness.” smirks darkly Vorster. He too gets off his elephant. A series of dark thunderclouds appear in the distance.

“Storm is brewing Quint, we better put up camp,” replies Ch-lot tying up his elephant to a bamboo tree, A slight shower starts to fall on the Hunters as the sound of thunder booms in the distance.

That evening after putting up the tents that were brought by the hunters. The party sits around a campfire exchanging stories as the Prince offers each one a sample of the Nagua mead. The party begins its nightly watch. Masa and her sister stand alert outside of the Prince's chamber.

He plays on a bamboo flute while the twins stay alert.

Vorster excuses himself from the campfire and walks into the deeper shades of the Savannah steppe-lands. In the deep Savannah, Vorster examines the surrounding steppe for signs of his intended target. “So my friends, the wardens are limited to their rules but I think tonight I will throw a twist in their rules.” taking a pair of vials he begins to toss the vial contents in the surrounding steppes. A screech arises from the surrounding steppes.

Witching Hour. The party hears the screams of Undead moving quickly through the surrounding Savannah pushing their way towards the camp. Drawing their weapons the party prepares for the advancing Undead. A group of four zombies and a zombie laird charge the heroes as the zombie lord releases a cloud of plant-like poison on the party. Recognizing the toxic cloud Quint and the others cover their faces with bandannas. Quint and the prince charge forward against the Zombie laird. Serena and the others take on the zombies. Scanning quickly Quint spots that Vorster is nowhere near them as if he disappeared into the steppe-lands.

Slicing quickly and casting spells the heroes contain the threat from the zombies and their master. Nasta has a coughing spasm after ingesting some of the toxic poison in her lungs but holds her ground but is quickly administered aid from her sister. Cholt joins Quint and shakes his bald head at him. ' it looks like you were the right chief, Vorster went hunting on his own. What do you want to do chief?”

“It's too late for us to find him we'll leave early in the morning.”

Prince Anshan joins the pair. Serena helps the sisters. “ My friends I have something to show you this way quickly.“

The pair follow the prince into the steppe-lands and spot a bloody corpse lying on the ground that appears to be Vorster. “It would appear the great cats of nature took hold of our guest. Come closer.”

The Prince points out about 300 yards from their position of the bloody corpse raising his lip to be silent. Using their night vision spyglass they see a pride of brown and white cheetahs and their cubs. The great-cats are playing as the masters of the pride stand alert. Joining the pride is the dark-skinned great-cat ridden by Quint and Serena.

“It would appear my friends.' Whispering quietly at the sight “Your ride has gone back to its pride. Perhaps it is wise to leave him or her here with his pride.”

The pair acknowledge the Prince's observation. “ Okay, Vorster hoped to poach some cheetah hide for a profit. We will just have to double up on the elephants.” Quint mumbles to the others.

Mid-Morning. The party by mid-morning approaches the notorious Great Jul-tan Swamp a pair of native skiffs are waiting for additional explorers of the swamp. Quint piloting the one skiff and Rash-id piloting the second skiff. The pair of skiffs float out to the great swamp. Cholt shouts over to the prince in the first skiff. “ Your highness, what exactly are you looking for out here in the Great Swamp?”

“A good question Pygmy, though I have no particular interest my village has a small petting zoo which we are planning to expand and with a little luck. I hope to get a pair of crocodile eggs for it. That is why the twins are carrying a special hemp rope by my druid sister to help contain any crocodiles.”

“You are crazier than my chief Quint but I understand your trapping experience. I hope we find a payout,” comments Cholt who spots a pair of crocodiles fighting an aberration known as a froghemoth who appears to be going after the lair of the crocodiles and a set of eggs. “ I think we have some payout your highness. How do we handle this Quint?”

“This is the Prince's quest, what do you wish to do your highness?”

Swampy Day The heroes go around the fight in progress between the giant crocodiles and the froghemoth. Holding their weapons ready while Quint and Rash-id pilot the ongoing battle between the large creatures. Once the team gets in position Cholt and Masa dive into the water on the far side of the crocodile lair. Snatching up a pair of eggs for the Prince's zoo. Swimming back briskly in the swamp, the heroes help Cholt and Masa out of the water. While Serena places the eggs in a special carrying basket provided by the prince and his bodyguards.

Moving quickly the skiffs leave the ongoing battle that appears it is going to be a draw between the large beasts.

Epilogue The party arrives back in the Jul-tan city and is quickly greeted by the local high magistrate a tiefling sorcerer known as Cohan. He looks over with a dark smirk in his eyes at Quint and the surviving hunters and approaches them like a typical high bureaucrat. Looking Quint over he continues “ So Warden where is your associate the human is known as Vorster?”

“Well, Magistrate it would appear that the cat got his tongue and his poaching days are over. Why do you ask?”

“I'm just wondering since I don't want our tourist cycle to go down the river by an animal killing our guests from the north.”

Serena speaks for the trio “Well Magistrate if Vorster was not too busy making a profit the cat would not have gotten his tongue. And besides, I know your history with poachers and the riches they provide you, bureaucrats.”

“Warden, your woman is speaking out of line put a gag on her mouth.” Exclaims the older tiefling Magistrate.

“Magistrate she is not my woman she is my partner and besides being an Elementalist she has been catching up on druid studies to help the people of this region. Now if you excuse us, I have a dinner date with Prince Anshan and his crew and I am sure word will get back to the high council on your illicit stuff with the blood on your hands and your illegal dealings with poachers during the Hunt of He-Long.

“Good day magistrate come on Cholt I owe you a pygmy juice for your help today and Rash-id please join your cousin as well. Magistrate.”

Well I never!” exclaims Cohan

The End 

January 25, 2021 19:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Michael Boquet
03:19 Feb 04, 2021

I wish you could add illustrations, cause I'd love to see a hippo-dragon! You're obviously very creative, but your story is very hard to read. I enjoyed what I was able to understand, very fun ideas. However, other parts were difficult to understand.

Reply

19:21 Feb 04, 2021

it was not one of my better stories but I got the hippo-dragon idea from a fantasy name generator website. If you want to read one of my better ones people enjoyed No way Cincy check it out and thanks for your comment and feel free to check out y another short story one out of 13 is not bad. The only other one was for he said she said story thanks again

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.