1 comment

Fiction Drama Fantasy

SongBird was the sidekick and often forgotten partner of Black Hawk, one of the world’s greatest superheroes of all time. After the duo would save the day, fans would rush up and push her out of the way to get to Black Hawk. The world adored him, and many wanted to be just like him. SongBird did not care how others saw her. In fact, she was glad to be invisible. Although her powers were strength, vocal persuasion, and the ability to transport herself to any location, she felt that she had nothing over Black Hawk's ability to fly and use vocal manipulation. His charm and communication skills made it easier for him to receive adoration.

SongBird would have been able to persuade anyone to do or believe anything she wanted, but she felt that was against what she believed. She took an oath under the Super Hero Creed that stated that she would not use her powers for evil, ill intent, or the manipulation of others. Black Hawk did not always follow the oath and was more relaxed in using his powers. His vocal manipulation allowed him to sound like anyone or thing he wanted to. This power would be beneficial in circumstances where the villain was working with a partner or he needed to make the villain believe he was surrounded by law enforcement. But there were many occasions where Black Hawk would use it while dressed in his civilian clothes to get ahead in line or promotion at work.

SongBird had long left that life behind and retired from being a hero after the death of her partner over 20 years ago. She spent the next 20 years living a peaceful life, trying to forget the past and move on. But the past had a way of catching up to her.

SongBird received a call from Black Hawk’s former agent requesting a sit down with a reporter. Reluctant, SongBird asked why. The agent told SongBird that the reporter would come to her home to see where Black Hawk once lived and do a memorial peace on him. The idea intrigue Song Bird. Her love for him never ended and she admired the reporter for wanting to capture his heart, his home.

Now, the day came when SongBird, now living her life as Harmony Madison, was supposed to have the interview with the reporter. At this point in her life, SongBird did not care who knew who she was. She figured that she would still be invisible even after she chose to stop using her superhero name. After hearing the knock at the door, Harmony took a deep breath and opened the door to greet the reporter and her film crew.

Overwhelmed by the number of people in her house, Harmony excused herself to try and hide. Black Hawks agent entered her home just in time to find her and encouraged her to do the interview. Harmony agreed once again while being adamant to keep the focus on Black Hawk.

The reporter sat down with Song Bird to discuss her days with the famed superhero, Black Hawk, for a “Where Are They Now” series. Song Bird told the reporter that she had not gone by that name since she retired. Now, she was known to family and friends as Harmony Madison. Admiring her courage to reveal her true identity, the reporter continued.

Harmony started by discussing her relationship with Black Hawk. She told the reporter that he was the love of her life, and his passing was still difficult, even 20 years later. She only agreed to do the special because she would have a chance to share more about their love for one another with the world.

The reporter leaned in and asked the cameraman to angle closer to Harmony’s face. Harmony became uncomfortable and tried to avoid the spotlight. The reporter informed her that she would have just a few questions about her days as a superhero and had some footage to review.

Harmony agreed and implied that she wanted to be kept out of the story. The questions the reporter was asking seemed to focus more on SongBird and less on Black Hawk. Harmony thought for a second that she could use her vocal persuasion and make them leave, but her consciousness slipped in, and she felt condemned by the thought. Although she was no longer a superhero, she was still a person with great power that should only be used for good.

But the reporter was persistent, and Harmony eventually gave in. The reporter asked Harmony about her role in the rescue attempts and battles with villains. SongBird tried to downplay her role in the rescues, giving all the credit to Black Hawk. She didn't want to take credit for something that wasn't hers alone. She stated that Black Hawk was the hero and his role in saving the lives of others inspired her to be a hero and his sidekick.

“But were you truly the sidekick”, the reporter asked with an insinuating tone.

“Yes, everyone knew I was the sidekick, well those who knew I existed.” Harmony looked down at the picture of Black Hawk she picked up from her table. She admired the man she stared at recalling the moment they first became a duo.

“There have been reports by witnesses that Black Hawk was a drunk and often botched the job. In fact, there are many that say, Mrs. Song Bird, that you are the true hero and main character.”

“That…that is not true,” Harmony spoke with a puzzled tone and she began to pull the framed photo to her chest. “What is this? I thought we were here to talk about Black Hawk?”

“Mrs. Madison, we are here to talk about Black Hawk. We have some footage of one of your rescues. Would you like to see it?”

Harmony was excited to be able to see her old partner and the love of her life in action. She leaned forward in her seat to look at the footage on the reporter’s tablet. In the footage, she could see both Black Hawk and her arrival at the scene. Black Hawk was apparently intoxicated. Upon his landing, he crashed into a table knocking the table over while pedestrians were eating at an outside café.

Once he gets up, he begins to mumble and tussle with a bee. Next, he lets out a loud siren mimicking the sound of a tornado watch alert. The sound causes all civilians within a ten-block radius to run and seek coverage. The footage shows a mass panic.

Instantly, Song Bird begins to sing a melody that calms every down. She then sits Black Hawk down, then transports herself to where the initial call for help came from. She rescued three children from a ledge on the 20th floor, then came back and carried Black Hawk to the site of the children so that he could get the credit.

“So, what do you have to say about what you just watched?” The reporter pushed the mic in Harmony’s direction to hear what she had to say.

Harmony tried to deny it, insisting that it was all Black Hawk's doing. She said that the video could have been altered. But the reporter wouldn't let up. With abundant proof, the reporter showed Harmony dozens of instances that proved she was just as much of a hero as Black Hawk was. Maybe even more.

Harmony was not lying when she was saying the Black Hawk was the true hero, she never thought she was worthy of being a hero. He was the one everyone loved. He was not always the drunken man that he had become, but she did not want his image to be tarnished by that version. So, she stepped up more and made him be seen the way she saw him every day.

Slowly but surely, Harmony began to see the truth. She had been a hero, just like Black Hawk. And it was time for her to accept that and embrace her past, rather than trying to forget it and hide it from others.

She began to speak, “It was not always this way. Black Hawk was the greatest hero I ever met. I was proud to be by his side and honored that he chose me. I spent countless nights watching over him, nursing him back to health after his binges, and training him to fight when he was sober. And when he failed, I was always there to pick up the pieces and make things right. This wasn’t for him but for all of his fans and the ones who counted on him to be there for them. He was still a great superhero; he just needed a little more assistance.

One day, when Black Hawk was once again drunk and incapable of fighting, I stepped in to save the day. I did not want to take his place, because he deserved the crown. I just wanted to be the one to lift his crown when it was falling. They say, “Behind every great man is a great woman”, but I say, “Only a sidekick can help a great man stay great.” That was my job and I loved every bit of it.”

The reporter asked Harmony, “So, what is next for Song Bird or Harmony? Now that you realized the role you played in Black Hawk’s legacy and the impact you had on countless others, are you ready to be our new lead hero?”

“Everyone is a hero in their own right. I may have powers, but that does not make me better or more superior than the next. I am not saying that I won’t answer the call for help, but I feel that we can all do our part to make this world a safer place. All it takes is to stand up for what you believe in and choose to do what is right. Let’s Honor Black Hawk’s legacy by embracing the power of community, and strength, and showing each other love and respect.”

“Wow! Those are powerful words from someone who thought she was invisible. I hope to see Song Bird out there someday soon. Thank you for taking the time today to sit and chat with me. You are truly an inspiration and part of the reason I have a voice today.”

“I just want everyone to realize that Rome was not built in a Day and the reconstruction of SongBird may take some time. I learned a lot from Black Hawk and realized that hanging up my cape may have been done in haste. I am considering, but this will not be easy for me.”

The reporter asked the cameraman to turn off the camera, then placed her hand on Harmony’s hand. I wanted to thank you for saving me from that ledge. My brothers and I were chasing a bird and then got trapped. If you had not come, I do not know where I would be or even if I would be. So, thank you, Harmony, for being SongBird. If you never wear a cape again, you will always be my hero.

Harmony escorted everyone out of her home. She peered out of her window realizing that she was more than a sidekick, and was humbled by the reporter’s last words. Fighting and saving others by the side of her one true love was an amazing adventure but was not the full story. She looked at the picture she held in her hands one last time, then transported herself to her room and then returned to the window wearing her Song Bird costume as she waved goodbye to the reporter.

The End.

April 21, 2023 20:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Cathryn V
22:33 May 03, 2023

Hi Stephinie, This is a cute story with a great twist at the end that I did not see coming! Here is a favorite part of mine: Once he gets up, he begins to mumble and tussle with a bee. Next, he lets out a loud siren mimicking the sound of a tornado watch alert. The sound causes all civilians within a ten-block radius to run and seek coverage. The footage shows a mass panic. Thanks for writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.