1 comment

Fantasy Fiction Holiday

Hagatha went about her way all year long, until Halloween day. When that day came around at last, she met up with her witchy friends.

         Joyce spent most of the year alone. She often hung out with no one. When Halloween night came around, she got dressed up and went into town.

         Bernice was the third and final witch. She spent her days surrounded by a ditch. She preferred a moat, but wasn’t a queen. She instead just dug a big ‘ol ditch to surround her house and keep people away. However, along came Halloween and she went to town where she would be seen with her friends, Hagatha and Joyce.

         The three witches met at a diner. The diner was named There Are No Meals Finer. They met for brunch on Halloween to discuss and plan their dastardly deeds.

         They planned and they schemed for Halloween night. They knew that they were a scary sight. People looked at them in fright, but they didn’t care. This was their only night to scare and they intended to go full out. No witch would be left to sit and pout on Halloween night.

         Once they made their plans and schemes, they all went to Hagatha’s house that Halloween. They had to make their plans, you see. Preparations done and set, they settled down to watch a movie and to take a nap. They planned to be up late, you see, and they were getting older.

         When they awoke it was almost time. They brewed their brew and sat to dine. But an argument ensued. Whose spell was better than whose? They fought and yelled and threw things about. They wrang their hands and screamed and shouted. They argued until dark, you know. But then they realized they must go.

         The argument was far from settled, but they decided to put it away. They would save it for another day. They had many things to do. Spells to cast, people to scare, and of course to gather their crew.

         They always made a serious effort to include their fellow spooks. The vampires, werewolves, zombies, mummies, and Frankenstein, too. It very rarely ever worked – in fact it actually had never. Yet these three were determined that at some point on some year the crew would definitely gather. With power like that, they thought, they would definitely matter. 

         They first attempted to recruit a scarecrow, new to scaring. He decided to join them. That he was the only one, he wasn’t caring. Next they found a goblin, and then a little troll. They at this point decided that all monsters weren’t big and tall. 

         With this little ragamuffin crew that they had gathered they proudly walked into the town – it was there the scares would matter.

         Drac saw they had gathered a crew, and he nudged Frankenstein. Frank thought this was batty, and he quickly grabbed the wolfman. The three of them were wondering just what the witches had that made this little rag tag crew decide to be all bad.

         Now they wanted to join, and soon they made it obvious. They strolled up to the witches and began to call them dolls. The witches knew when they were being talked up by the guys. Although it hadn’t happened in centuries – no one had even tried.

         Hagatha was interested in Mr. Frankenstein. Joyce wanted the wolfman, Bernice thought the vampire was quite fine. They all began to flirt and talk, but Scarecrow soon stepped in. I thought that we were here to scare the parents and all the kids.

         The witches snapped back to business – they had forgotten what they were about. Then the goblin spoke up and said that maybe the problem was they were out. We are out on Halloween, when everyone dresses like us. They won’t be scared on the same day – now on Christmas we could cause a fuss.

         As they all looked around, they saw that he was right. Everywhere they looked they saw people dressed like them! There were zombies, witches, vampires and a scary skeleton. There were werewolves galore, all howling at the moon. They even had some goblins roaming around in the dark.

         Questions now were surfacing. Just what should they do? They wanted badly to scare and frighten, but just what could they do? They decided to experiment, and tried to cause a scare. No one paid them any mind, or even seemed to care. The witches became angry, and thought to cast a spell. The vampire said that wasn’t necessary – he would take them to his lair. 

         But soon our friends did realize that no matter what they did, they would just be thought of as some pesty, overgrown kids. Spells aside, and scaring, too, they knew not what to do. The goblin wanted to go home, and the troll did, too. Frank was getting tired of walking all around. They understood, his knees won’t bend and this can cause a frown. Wolfman was getting hungry, and needed rabbit stew. Drac was getting hungry, too, but rabbit wouldn’t do. 

         The witches invited them all back to their house for a bite. They knew that they could feed them all, and slack their appetites. They all returned to Joyce’s lair, and soon sat for a feast. They couldn’t say that they were bored, or hungry in the least.

         They knew that Christmas would be soon, and hatched their evil plans. They would meet back at that time, and scare each lass and lad. As the end of Halloween approached, and they all headed home, the date was set for them to meet up at Christmas time. 

         Thanksgiving came around real soon, and the monsters got excited. They knew the time was coming fast for their monster party. No one would be in costume, no one would steal their show. They couldn’t wait, they were excited as their plans approached. 

         The air grew colder with the chill of Christmas, snow and decorations. Halloween was forgotten, but this would be no limitation. In fact, this worked to their advantage, because no one would expect it. This scary crew would burst upon the scene, evil and forever scary. The vampire was excited, as was the mighty wolfman. The mummy shivered so much with excitement that he nearly shivered his bandages off.

         This plan was good, this plan was great, in it they saw no flaws. At least until they ran into the man in costume – Santa Claus.

October 24, 2020 00:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

21:33 Nov 04, 2020

Story was good for a chuckle. Like the way you used the characters to bring out the humorous plot. Nice.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.