0 comments

Fantasy Friendship Fiction

14th of Midoth, 564

A new face appeared in the shop today. He looked to be fairly young, in his early twenties or so. Judging by his toned arms and dirtied clothing, I could only assume that he was a farm boy or an apprentice of some sort. Tousled brown hair sat atop his head like a bird’s nest, and I half expected a young chick to pop out of the mess. But his eyes… They were nothing I’d ever seen before. When he came to speak to me, I found it difficult to understand what he was saying. All I could see were his bright blue eyes, a ring of golden fire dancing around his pupils.

It was a miracle that I could answer his question before he became suspicious. He’d asked for my name, and I was taken aback by the inquiry. Most didn’t even care who I was, as long as the shop was open. Even with the shock, I answered his question. “Oswald,” I replied simply.

I wondered if I should ask for his, but I didn’t feel it was my place. I didn’t need to ask, though. “My name is Eloy,” he said. He wanted some wooden planks. I nodded and retrieved the planks he requested, trading them for the silver pieces he plopped into my opened palm. And with that, I watched as Eloy turned and waved goodbye as he left my shop.

He was definitely different, I realized. I wondered if he would come back to the shop soon. Did he live here in Rynmel, in this tiny little village I called home? Or was he simply another traveler? I hoped it was the former; I could really use someone to talk to.

16th of Midoth, 564

Eloy came back today. We actually held a conversation this time. I found out that he’d just come from up north to work as an apprentice for Dako, the local blacksmith. He’d heard tales of the blacksmith and how he was one of the most skilled craftsmen in the realm. He wanted to learn what he could from Dako and go off to be a skilled blacksmith himself.

I found his optimism to be refreshing. Being surrounded by a bunch of gloomy, angry villagers really wears down on you, so being around someone who was building a future for themselves was a nice change of pace.

As he left the shop with a new hammer, I wondered if there was such a future for me, too.

17th of Midoth, 564

A man came in today asking about Eloy. It didn’t take me long to realize that he was talking about the blacksmith’s apprentice. He was searching for a young brunet with gold-ringed eyes. Eloy was the only person who matched that description. The man seemed harmless enough: he was old and frail, white beard dusting the floor and clad in robes that seemed to sway in an everlasting wind. I’d told him where to find the boy; surely the old man wasn’t a threat to the lad. If so, then he could certainly take down the old man with anything at his disposal.

When the old man left, though, I found that a weight had lifted from the shop. It felt odd, as if the outside had disappeared from existence, and it was only the old man and me as we spoke. I hadn’t noticed it when he first came in, and I wondered if it was a good idea to tell him where to find Eloy.

18th of Midoth, 564

Eloy seemed troubled today. He wouldn’t look at me, instead staring at the floor or off into the distance. His eyes were wide and unfocused, and it looked like he was afraid of something. It took me a few to finally get his attention back to trade his iron ore for gold pieces.

It was like he was in a whole other world the entire time. I couldn’t even get him to talk to me. He’d just mutter incoherent ramblings under his breath, and the only things he said to me were “Hi” and “Thanks”. When he left the shop, body hunched over like chains were weighing down his shoulders, I silently hoped that he’d be okay.

23rd of Midoth, 564

It had been a while since I’d last seen Eloy. But he came in today and seemed to be out of his troubled state. He still looked bothered by something, his shoulders pointing inwards, body hunched over, and I almost passed it off from being hunched over the forge all day at the blacksmith’s shop.

But then he told me the craziest thing: the old man I’d directed to him had told him that he was some “Chosen One” to follow an ancient prophecy and bring an end to a dark evil. I almost burst out laughing at the absurdity of it, but then I looked into his eyes. Fear still clouded his vision, and I realized that what he’d said was true.

So instead of laughing at the poor lad, I gave him a couple regenerative potions. They were generally very expensive, but I gave them to him free of charge. If this boy were to really go on some insane quest to defeat a great evil, then he’d need as much help as he could get.

He had cast me a weary smile and nodded his head in thanks before leaving, and it made me feel a bit better. I didn’t always get to do good things for others, but it was nice when I was able to.

28th of Midoth, 564

Eloy came in again today. He seemed more determined than the last time I saw him, and he also had some new clothing. Well, armor actually. It was weak and poorly made, but the leather armor was better than nothing. A cheap sword hung at his side. Did Dako not let the boy take one of the more suitable weapons? Maybe he didn’t believe in the boy’s destiny and didn’t want to risk losing money.

He bought some more potions today; mostly instant health and health regeneration potions, but he also got a speed potion and a poison one. The silver and gold pieces clinked in my hands, and I wondered how much more would come my way. Eloy would surely be rewarded for his heroic efforts. If I could keep him at my shop, then I could make much more than I ever had before. I just needed to keep him alive...

2nd of Naun, 564

Eloy had come by the shop nearly every day since my last entry. It was always the same: three instant health potions, three health regeneration potions, one speed potion, and a poison potion. But today, he did something new. He traded in a bunch of long lost artifacts and animal skins. It felt odd to be the one handing him money, but it didn’t really bother me. I’d be able to sell these collectibles more than what he’d just traded them in for.

But that wasn’t where it stopped. He ended up buying one of my bows. It was one of the cheaper ones, but it would hold nonetheless. After buying some arrows for it as well, he bounded out the door like a child who’d just convinced his mother to buy him some chocolate. A smile graced my lips as he left. Our lives were in the hands of this boy, and I wasn’t sure if I was relieved or afraid.

5th of Naun, 564

He traded in the bow today for a newer, more expensive one. He had much more silver and gold on him than the last time I saw him, and I was only mildly upset when he didn’t buy any potions. Unfortunately, I didn’t get much money from the sale today, but at least he looked to be doing better in battles. He still had leftover potions.

9th of Naun, 564

Eloy had a new sword today. It was much cleaner and more expensive than the one he’d had before. Did he loot this one off of one of his kills? Did he make it himself? Or did he go to another shop? The last thought made my skin crawl, and I couldn’t help but feel jealous. I knew I couldn’t own any of my customers, but Eloy was one of the only people I could call “friend”. I’d be hurt if he were going to other people’s shops.

Oh well. At least he seems to be doing okay.

15th of Naun, 564

I haven’t seen Eloy since my last entry. There’s been no word of the lad running around and saving people. Is he still in Rynmel? I sure hope so.

19th of Naun, 564

Eloy came back today. His front was bloodied, sword bloodied, face bloodied. It was really difficult to tell what blood was his. I had run up to him and immediately handed him an instant health potion. He hardly acknowledged my existence as he downed the glass. I’d asked him what happened, but he only shook his head and asked me to get him better armor. I obliged and after receiving the gold pieces, he left without another word. He didn’t even buy any replacement potions today.

24th of Naun, 564

Eloy disappeared again. Some say they saw him heading north, some say south, others say he’s holed himself up in his quarters at Dako’s. I didn’t really know what to believe, but I couldn’t exactly go find out where he was myself. My place is here at my shop.

27th of Naun, 564

No one has seen Eloy yet. Dako said that he isn’t at the blacksmith’s shop. That meant that Eloy isn’t even in Rynmel. Maybe he’s out farming for more skills and equipment. I just hope he hasn’t gotten himself killed...

1st of Vebekius, 564

Eloy’s back! He looked better than I last saw him. He had better armor, a better sword, and his bow had the telltale runes of enchantments running down the wood. His smile was warm and confident when he greeted me. He ordered the usual, though in double the quantity, along with some arrows.

“I’m leaving,” he’d told me. When I asked him why, he only said that it was time. I’d frowned at him, not exactly understanding what he meant. But then he did the craziest thing. He lifted his hand and stared at it, and just as I was about to ask if he was okay, a ball of golden flame flared in his palm! I nearly screamed at the lad!

He ignored my mindless babbling and looked at me, the fire glinting in his eyes. And then he said, “I’m not sure if I will make it back, Oswald, but I would like you to have this.” He placed a piece of his sorcerer’s flame in a bottle and handed it to me, and I timidly took the bottle from his hand. After giving him a puzzled look, he explained, “This flame will burn eternally, until I tell it to stop. Water cannot quell it, you cannot suffocate it, and you cannot extinguish it. Use it as you will; as a lantern during the night or a fire to cook over. I want this flame to do as much for you as you have done for me.” Before I could even utter a thank you, Eloy left my shop, leaving me standing at the counter with the eternal flame burning in the glass bottle in my hands.

8th of Vebekius, 564

It’s been seven days since Eloy left. Like he promised, the fire he gave me continued to dance. I’d tested out its vulnerabilities, to which I found that it had none like he’d said. I found it to be very interesting. It was nice to have some of his, just to remind me that I had a friend out there who actually cared.

23rd of Vebekius, 564

Eloy still hasn’t come back. There’s been no word of his adventures, and I wondered if he’d even made it to his destination yet. Perhaps this “dark evil” lived in the far reaches of the realm. If so, then it would be quite some time before Eloy even faced his destiny. I only hoped that he’d prevailed and came back to Rynmel.

4th of Tribus, 564

It’s been over a month since Eloy left. I wondered if he was kicking some serious ass right now. I wish I’d had as much courage as him. I don’t think I could ever go out and fight bad guys and evil monsters. Maybe that’s why I’m the one behind the shop counter instead of Eloy.

13th of Tribus, 564

Still no word of Eloy. Had he made it yet? Had he faced the evil yet? Had he triumphed, or did he fail? I supposed we’d know if Eloy had done either of those last two options, right?

29th of Tribus, 564

I saw a pretty girl today. I could never have a chance with her—I didn’t have the courage and confidence Eloy displayed—but at least she talked to me.

6th of Edan, 564

Still nothing.

28th of Edan, 564

I could’ve sworn the flame flickered today. Must’ve been my imagination.

11th of Neuln, 564

Some travelers said they saw some crazy light show going on in the mountains up north. I wonder if it was Eloy.

9th of Veurst, 564

It’s been about six months since Eloy left. Surely his journey wasn’t that long… But at least his flame still dances.

30th of Veurst, 564

The flame flickered today. This time, I’m sure it wasn’t my imagination.

22nd of Klist, 565

Still no word.

19th of Ihez, 565

The flow of money has slowed. I hope I don’t have to sell the shop.

2nd of Midoth, 565

I don’t think Eloy is coming back. His flame is lower than before, and I highly doubt it’ll survive much longer.

13th of Midoth, 565

The flame died today.

14th of Midoth, 565

A new face appeared in the shop today.

March 12, 2021 14:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.