0 comments

Adventure Sad

Sitting on the cliff, staring at the sunset, with him. if only he knew, if only he could escape before it happened, if only he didn't have to...get hurt until he passed. like he always says-no. like he always said. 

Ivy awoke to Ashley's screaming. She walked into the room. "shut up I'm trying to sleep." Ashley paused for a moment. Ivy walked back into her bedroom. She sat on her bed but jumped up suddenly. She had just sat on something sharp and pointy. It was a key. "Again? ASHLEY I DONT WANT TO READ YOUR DIARY SO YOU CAN READ MINE! WE BOTH KNOW ITS JUST TRASH ABOUT HOW YOU REALLY WANT BREAD ALL THE TIME!" 

"But I didn't leave you my key!" hmm... Then what key was it? Ivy turned it over in her hands. She noticed it was a silvery blue color and instead of the usual key shape, it was in the shape of a crescent moon. she walked around the house, looking at boxes and drawers to see where the key fit. then she saw it. That weird mysterious cupboard sitting beside the mirror in the bathroom had a crescent moon-shaped hole. she put the key in. she was about to turn it in when her mother jumped out of the corner. "What's that you have there?" she asked creepily. "Uh, a key."

"that's nice... but do you really want to know what's in that cupboard?"

"Uh sure."

"But do you reaaally?" Ashley creamed again.

"MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!"

"wait here and don't open the cupboard!" she scampered off. "coming sweetie!" of course, like anybody would, Ivy opened the cupboard. She was shocked to see a bright white light and little blue mist-balls inside of the cupboard, forming a portal. "the frick?!" she put her hand inside. She felt tree leaves. "what?" she aimed to put only her head inside so she could see what it was, then in came her mother. "I TOLD YOU NOT TO OPEN THE-" but Ivy was so shocked, she fell in. Great job, Ivy. She fell on the ground with a thump, and closed her eyes. she sniffed the salty air and felt the soft sand beneath her. "What is that?" she opened her eyes. a guy about her age was standing over her. he had dark purple hair in a messy mohawk and he had bright yellow eyes. "AH!" Ivy sat up and the guy fell. "OOF! Hey there!"

"What are you?!"

"a human. You?"

"I'm Ivy. I'm a human too."

"Ivy Black?"

"How did you know my name?! You... Stalker!" Ivy said.

"No not a stalker. I can tell your name with magic!"

"Ew a magic believer gross..." she stood up and showed a disgusted face to the guy. "Well, how else would I know your name, dingbat?"

"You stalked me!"

"Did not!"

"Did too!"

"Did not!

"Did too!"

"Did not!!"

"Did too!!"

"DID NOT!"

"DID TOO!"

"SHUT UP!"

"DID TOO- what no thank you!"

"hmph."

"hmph." Ivy looked around. "Where am I?"

"Your in yugen." He said.

"Yugen...Doesn't that mean like mysterious and beautiful?"

"Yup. Just like me!" he closed his eyes and flipped his hair.

"Ugh. I haven't heard of this place before..." Ivy said.

"Well, you are in another dimension..." He said.

"What?!"

"WELL, YOU ARE IN ANOTHER DIMENSION!"

"I heard you I just..." Ivy looked up. the portal was gone.

"Didn't you think that would happen when you jumped in?"

"I didn't mean to..." Ivy sat down.

"Oh. that kinda sucks. Well, you can't go back yet until you... er, hurt Zak until he passes."

"You mean kill him?" The guy twitched "What's wrong with the word kill? Your not afraid are you?" Ivy smiled. 

"no..."

"well, I'm not going to kill-" another twitch. "-anyone. especially not someone with a dumb name like zak or whatever."

"Well, you can't go home unless you do...And his name may be pretty lame but he definitely isn't."

"Ok, then I guess I have no choice! Let's go stab some people!"

"No no no! You can't just do that... You need to do a couple things first. come with me to our headquarters."

"That sounds dumb."

"just come." they walked on a dirt road to a big white a blue building. Inside it was pretty boring, just white walls and white furniture. "ew.."

"Hey! this took hours to make..."

"Just hours?"

"what do you mean just- oh yeah you can't use magic to build stuff..."

"Magic isn't real..." They walked into a room with more white walls. this time there was no furniture but a small pedestal. Ok, when I do this, you will believe in magic." He threw some purple dust onto the pedestal. "err nothing happened-" just then a huge purple swirling portal appeared. "Tada!"

"Oh. a portal. cool."

"that's it? arent you gonna be like, ooh Woah that's amazing! and your amazing! and so handso-" 

"Ew, why would I say that?"

"Oh shut up, just go through the portal, retrieve the thing, and come back. oh and, beware of grod."

"grod? what's with the dumb names? and what even is your name?"

"My name isn't dumb, it's Eugene." Ivy burst out laughing. she laughed so hard she fell yet again into the portal. The last thing she heard was, "EUGENE ISN'T FUNNY!!" she fell from the sky into a puddle of mud and her laughter ended. "Ew, mud in my hair!" she brushed her hair with her hand and looked around. she saw a cave in front of her. "I'm guessing that's where I need to go." She walked into the cave and saw herself at a fork. "Dang. well always go left for a maze so..." she stepped into the damp tunnel and walked on. she saw some creepy bats above her and heard something scampering by her feet. She hopped up and down several times, hoping not to run into something she wouldn't want to run into... She took a turn and saw a sharp silver dagger on a rock. "Is this it?" she picked it up and turned it in her hands. The name Peggy leanor was carved into the stone. She heard a skitter. then a scatter. then a hissing voice, saying, "DROP IT!"

"AH!"

"I SAID DROP IT!" Ivy looked around. she noticed cobwebs were everywhere. then she saw it. a huge black spider the size of her bed was hanging from a thin piece of string. "AAHHHHH!!!" she screamed and started running the other way. dozen upon dozen of cobwebs that weren't there before was in the path. she ran straight through them, running and running. underneath her she saw millions of tiny spiders crawling around, they were climbing up her shoes, legs, waist... some even had reached her face. "AH HELP!!" she brushed the spiders off, and even cut her cheek with the dagger in the process. she reached the fork again. she thought she saw light one way but when she turned she saw another huge spider. "DROP IT!" it hissed. without screaming because of the thought the spiders may go into her mouth, she ran the other way, running, running, running, running, until she reached the portal. but it wouldn't let her in. perhaps it was because she would bring a bunch of spiders? she hastily tried to brush them off, but more kept coming. behind her, the huge spider's hiss became louder and louder. "HELPPPP!" she kicked and screamed in panic, desperate to get them off. a hand reach out of the portal and pulled her in. the little spiders were pushed off by the force and Ivy was pulled in. The portal closed and Ivy was on the floor. "Sorry about that. we couldn't let the spiders-" Ivy snatched Eugene's hair and pulled. "OW OW OW OW-" Ivy pulled a bit too hard and pulled his hair straight off. Eugene had musty crusty dusty orange specks of hair. "Ew, what the heck?!" Ivy jumped back and threw the weave in the air. "AH, MY WEAVE!" Usually, this would've been funny, but really it was just gross because Ivy was seeing it happen in real life. "That the worst hair I've ever seen-"

"Shut up! Don't tell anyone what you just saw!" He put his wig back on a took a tube of glue. "That is the most disgusting thing I witnessed in my life!" She backed away. 

"SHHH! well, you got the dagger now we shall go on the quest to hurt zak until he passes!" He hurried out of the room. Ivy shuddered. it was her worst nightmare come true. she walked out of the room to follow Eugene.

Ivy, Eugene, and a group of others climbed aboard a big wooden ship. "We are going to sail across the sea of death-"

"sea of what?"

"Sea of death, now shut up Ivy. We are going to sail across the sea of death to reach Zaks lab-base-thingy. Ok? ok. ALL SHIPS AHEAD!"

"I don't think that's the-"

"ALL SHIPS AHEAD!"

"Ok then." Two people cut the rope and they started sailing across a navy blue sea. 

Ivy woke up to what she thought was seasickness. but she realized it was the screaming of the group. Two boys, Jax and Pheonix were shouting out directions to the rest of the group. Three girls, Vanessa, Shuri, and Max were taking out bows and arrows. Ivy looked around, even though it was hard to see in the stormy night, she saw four huge tentacles grasping on the ship. they were pale white and they were as big as the road through her neighborhood. "I think we might need to abandon ship!" someone said. 

"YA THINK?!" there was chaos everywhere and the three girls with bows were shooting flaming arrows, but they still weren't powerful enough. Some people were lowering lifeboats and some of them kept on popping from the tentacles. one tentacle grabbed onto Pheonix, another onto Jax. They screamed for help but there was nothing they could do. another grabbed the two of the three girls with the bows. Both the girls and boys were pulled underwater to drown. the ship started to leak and instead of fist lowering the boat down, Eugene, Ivy, and another girl jumped into one and fell straight down. they rowed away faster and faster, the storm began to stop and the huge tentacles started to aim for their lifeboat. "AHHHH!!!" Eugene started to row faster, just splashing Ivy in the face. The tentacles popped their boat and they slowly sank down. "I CANT DIE YET, IM TOO YOUNG!"

"Young maybe, but not how I would describe your looks..." when they were fully submerged, Ivy got a glimpse of the attacker. one huge eye the size of the boat stared at her. Surrounding the eye was pale white skin and a huge head. her mouth gave off bubbles and she rose to the surface, her hair covering her face. It was so dark she could barely see. then a hand grabbed her soaked shirt and she was pulled onto a log. they rowed away, from fast to slowish, to slow, to stopping and letting the wind take them somewhere.

"Ivy, Eugene! Wake up!" A girl with black hair, eyes, and skin was kneeling over them. "What is it Shuri?" Ivy stood up. she was on a beach and in front of her was the little log they sailed on. she looked behind her. A huge white tower rose higher than the clouds were standing two feet away from her. "Woah..." she looked at it.

"We are at Zaks lab-lair-base-thingy!" Eugene said. he looked at Ivy. "Do you have the dagger?"

"Yes."

"Then let's go." The three of them walked around the tower to the entrance. "That's weird it isn't guarded..."

"I think he knows we are coming." Eugene nodded and walked into the building.

They saw above them a huge spiral of stairs. "Doesn't Zak have an elevator?"

"Nah, if he's in a rush I bet he just flies up."

"Flies?"

"You'll see." They slowly climbed the staircase, up and up and up, until they reached the top. it was a huge room and when they looked down the stairs, the middle would just go on and on until they couldn't see anymore. "Wheres-"

From one side of the room, a doorway opened and a red rug poured out. some grand music played and a teenage boy, who looked a couple years older than Ivy walked out in a pink bathrobe holding a chocolate donut and coffee. "Hey." Eugene yelped a Shuri gasped, but Ivy just stood there. "Uh who are you?" she asked eyeing his shaggy brown hair covered in dandruff. "I thought you would know who you were going to kill." he said, brushing his hair out of his deep green eyes. "But your just a teenager in a bathrobe..."

"Oh, really?" she said with a hiss and his face started transforming to that of a dragon. next came his body and he sprouted wings and a tail. Ivy couldn't help but think that his dragon form was elegant and catching to the eye. He was white like the creature in the sea, but instead of a sense of emptiness, it was warm and strong. his tail was long and curved and his wings were like a swan. Then, he suddenly stretched his neck with a snap and opened his mouth, showing many teeth. he grabbed Shuri with them and threw her down the stairs. she grabbed onto the ledge and screamed. Her sweat was making it harder to climb up. Ivy ran to assist her while Eugene ran around in circles. "Ivy..." she whispered.

"What?!" Ivy asked trying and failing to pull her up.

"I need to tell you something. To win you have to kill-"

"Zak, yes I know."

"Yes, Zak but after you need to kill..." A dreadful roar erupted and Eugene shrieked again. "Do you understand?" Shuri said.

"Usually I would say I was hoping for an excuse as a joke, but you really want me to kill he?

"yes no matter what."

"But... but then... ill be an only-"

"Promise me."

"Well...ok...if I have to."

"Good. oh, and I prefer yellow roses over red." she let go and dropped down and down until she was lost out of sight. 

Zak started to Breathe fire now, causing Eugene to shriek even more. Ivy turned around with the dagger in hand. She lunged for the dragon, Leaping forward until she stabbed him in the shoulder when he was focusing on Eugene. It was now the dragons turn to shriek, and he did so in a loud and terrible way. "Good hit-" The dragon shot fire at him again, causing his wig to catch fire. "EEEEE!" He ran around again, waving his arms. Ivy was about to lung for his face when he whipped her back with his heavy tail. she dropped down and tried to stab his tail, but she accidentally stabbed her arm instead. she took a sharp intake of breath from the pain, and twisted around to take a hit at his tail again. The dragon snapped up swishing it off of her instantly and howled again. With his mouth open and his eyes closed, Ivy took the chance to stick the dagger right down his throat. He opened his eyes and stiffened his stance, but just as quickly fell into a heap, lifeless. "That was awesome!" Eugene clapped. "That was...fast." Ivy sat down.

"You can go home now! and I can go accept that medal of appreciation! finally..." Ivy swallowed. 

"I haven't...Really seen that much of this dimension though.."

"Oh, you will!" They climbed down the stairs. at the bottom, they saw Shuri dead on the floor. Ivy took another sharp intake of breath at the sight of it. "Oh uh, she...er stopped working."

"Can you shut up with the substitutes of death?"

"Sorry..." Ivy lifted Shuri up in her hands. she carried her to the beach and layed her on the soft sand. She walked off and brought back some yellow roses and put them in Shuri's hands. She kissed her fingers to the top of Shuri's forehead. They Sailed on, fortunately not bumping into the giant creature of the sea, and explored the island.

"Here is my favorite placed to relax- oh look it's already sunset." There was a brown cliff with the sun just above it. Ivy and Eugene sat down on the cliff's edge. just gazing out into the sunset. Hours later and... well the moon replaced the sun and Eugene was nowhere near the cliff. not anymore. he had...been hurt until he passed. just like Shuri dying wish. And Ivy was raised up into the white and blue portal once again, but this time no curiosity shined on her face. it was just tears. And some drops of blood...But mostly tears.

By ~Me~ (i wished to make it more detailed but I didn't have enough words)

November 13, 2020 20:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.