0 comments

Fantasy

      "Hey, you ladies need anything?" The young man paused at his words. He immediately felt like the young women would not take kindly to his offer and he recanted his words. "I mean I can get it for you if you'd like." The young women turned around and looked incredulously at him. The one to the right was the one he had eyed for the last 20 minutes in his car. Of course, he would not tell her that. She was gorgeous. Her small dark brown afro, glasses and braces are what caught him. He was just sitting in his car when they walked bravely into the all-white diner. They even passed the whites-only sign and didn't even flinch. He loved women with guts and tenacity, especially during a time like the '60s that invoked change. They walked in and sat down at the high-top tables facing the kitchen. For 15 minutes there was no service, the crew literally ignored them and went about helping others around them. Whites were eyeing them from every direction and even some people moved to other tables. After a while, the manager came out to them and told them to leave.  The girls laughed and walked out. No sit-in protest? What was that stunt about he thought as he unnervingly left the security of his car and almost wasn't in control of what he was going to say next. "Hey, ladies you need anything?" Their faces were a mix of surprise, "what does this guy want" and genuine curiosity. He was curious too.

"Why you ask" The young woman with the braces said.

"I don't know. I guess I saw you might need some help." Henry replied honestly.

"We were just playing around. Nothing more. Now if you would excuse us." The young woman with the pink jacket said as she turned to leave and pulling the other woman with her.  

"Hey, what's your name?" The girl with the braces said to Henry as she turned quickly to get out of her friend's grasp.

"Henry, and your name, miss?"

"Ingrid. Nice to meet you, Henry." She smiled and turned to leave.

He loved that smile. He can still see that sexy, cute, devilish smile that attracted him all those years ago and even still he blushes thinking about it. He opens his eyes and sees the dull green paint on the wall that continues to lose its colour each year. Confined to a wheelchair will do that to you. You see and notice the most insignificant things. Lost in thought most days and closing his eyes to relive-Ingrid every day.  He has been married for 45 years and even on his wedding day didn't feel the way that he felt when Ingrid asked him his name all those years ago.  The marriage had been failing from the start. They decided to stay together for the kid’s sakes but now it was just comfort. Even though they are basically roommates it was better than being alone. Henry also thought Jenny felt obligated to stay after the accident and resented him for it.

           This was his favourite part of the day being able to be in his study away from everyone and not be disturbed while he relived these memories of her.  Her soft brown skin and full lips that puckered when he came close to her. The way she closed her eyes when he went to kiss her. The only problem was it takes him longer to regain his consciousness after each time he relives the memories. It was a skill he picked up after Vietnam. He doesn't know how but he suspects from being overseas and drinking the water. He never told anyone what he can do, and he rather keeps it that way. It is not like you can really help anyone with that type of skill, right? It didn't help the friends that died in the war, the baby him and his wife lost and the accident that left him paralyzed.  All he wanted at the ripe age of 75 was to see Ingrid again. So, he used this skill to keep himself from going crazy, being at home all day with an occasional nurse that pops in and a non-attentive wife.  Is this what people retire to do? Nothing but watch the clock tick by as it draws closer to death or watch as young people kiss and grope each other on the street as they pass in the bliss of love and lust.  Henry being an older white man growing up in the '60s, you would think he got everything he wanted but as he sat in his chair watching the clock as he slowly regained his normality. He realized he didn't truly get what he wanted all this time. He only got a version of it. He grabs the side of his wheelchair and wheels himself out to the parlour. His wife Jenny sits nodding off to wheel of fortune which means she just ate and is nap time. He reaches for his phone that is sitting on the coffee table. Jenny winces slightly and then gives in to her nap and lays back on the couch. He quickly wheels himself back into the study and closes the door. He opens his phone and rolls through messages on his social media. His granddaughter showed him how to find people and make contact with them. He loved reliving the memories of Ingrid but would much rather be with her in the present. He scrolls through ads and then finally stops at her. Her life in pictures was truly amazing. She had done everything you could think of. She travelled the world. Fed the hungry in Africa. Gave to every charity and was full of life. That was what Henry was missing and that's what he wanted.  He always went to her page before going to the message he sent her one year ago now. The message was simple. "Hi, it's Henry. How are you? Long time huh?" She never answered it. He thought as first maybe she was travelling and just busy but with the condolence messages that filled her page with families and friends that missed her. He realized she was gone. Gone........from this present but never gone from his.....memories.

March 12, 2020 01:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.