69 comments

Romance Funny Fiction

Hey, Stephanie! I have a little request. If you’re going to keep changing me, reach those artificial nacho cheese-dusted hands onto the Wheel of My Fortune and spin it to figure out who I’d be this thirty-second time (Yes, I counted.) around, could you at least swap out…you know?


Yes, I’m aware, all too much, in fact. You say that you’re a pantser, that you’re a flâneuse who would rather meander the winding alleys of your imagination rather than follow some preset road map. You balk at the idea of anything other than the thorny weeds of a plot point sprouting up in your mind guiding you to concoct “the most heartfelt romance story to ever grace the pages of Paddweb.com”. Perhaps, my plea would but fall on deaf ears…uhm, fingers. However, as I stand here at the foot of the craggy Pennines (my ninth home), my large brown eyes (which have always been the same) exhausted from deciphering my fate hanging in the air, I feel the need to discuss all this with you course in my veins like ink flows onto a sheet of pristine white paper.


Let’s see now. In the past five months, you’ve thrust upon me the costumes of a flower shop owner from sunny Brighton (for which, I sneezed up a storm. You forgot I had allergies.), a street tough New York cop (Guns! Gore! GAH, no!), a trapeze artist from St. Peterburg (Heights, really?! My stomach just flipped remembering that.). Gosh, there were so many masks, but not much time. My favourite would most certainly be my February identity, a jazz singer from the Philippines with long, wavy tresses and a staccato laugh. Alas, I was blissfully lapping up the dulcet voice and jewel-toned wardrobe you had gifted me with when you smacked your lips together and hit that backspace button. I could only silently scream “NO!” before that blinking black line transformed me from beaming Antonella Callea to pink mohawk-sporting Roxie Matthews from your ill-researched idea of LA. No worries, though. As per usual, I just sighed and did your bidding. What’s an entity that only exists in a yellow folder icon on some beat-up, crumb-covered laptop to do?


However, there is one thing about me that you’ve kept intact, a tiny morsel of my parsed together existence that has remained as solid as the stone walls of the first cave drawings where Homo Erectus first told his tales. From the moment you first entered your email to create that writing website account, you have always envisioned me ending up with Ethan ---- blonde, burly Ethan. Ethan who’s…. uhm…. golden-haired and muscular. I get it. If you, Stephanie Marie Thorpe, can not bag very much married Nathan Hayworth (really clever modifying only the first syllable by the way), if your prince charming slipped that glass slipper on another woman, you suppose that you could at least give me --- the baby spawned by your thoughts, the two dimensional chameleon you conceived for the sole purpose of simulating the elation of being Mrs. Hayworth --- the decency of wedding your dream boy. At least, in this world of the Word document, anything is possible.


Well, indeed, when you’re the one tap-tapping away, everything is yes and amen…. except for what I really want. You see, Stephanie, we ---your characters --- have been hiding a secret from you, a “sin,” so to speak, from the alpha and omega of this entire universe’s existence. The moment of truth has arrived. It’s about time you know that yes, I’m in love…with Daniel.


(Yes, I could observe your mouth contort into some twisted pretzel. Stop!)


I can finally admit to you that Daniel --- the last-minute addition to your piece, the supporting role in the film in your brain cinema you only cast because your Paddweb readers insisted on a best friend for good ol’ moi ---- is the star of every fantasy I’ve conjured up in my fictional consciousness. No, no, don’t yell. I do understand that to develop the hazel-eyed, brunet hero of my journey, you’d listed down every single quality that has enshrined Nathan in your pedestal (literally. I’ve seen you scribbling it at the back of a receipt. My Daniel can’t even get the decency of a proper notepad?!) and ascribed the exact opposite of him. If Nathan spends his afternoons with his cheeks covered in mud on a football pitch, Daniel’s face is constantly covered by a hardbound. If Nathan air guitars along as Metallica blasts from his headphones, Daniel hums to Elton John records, true to his name. You even went the other way on a detail as minuscule as his favourite ice cream flavour, vanilla to Nathan’s rocky road. I was meant to take this difference as a glaring neon sign pointing to my leading man. Well, it did; it was just not the Casanova you had envisioned.


Yes, Stephanie, it is by your fingers we live and breathe when your laptop is on, but once you click on “shut down”, you couldn’t and can’t stop us from, well, living and breathing beyond the script you feed us. Neither could you stop me and Daniel from using the same power you wield over us to draw our own arc into each other’s embrace: the power of words.


You couldn’t stop the day I had reached across the table Daniel was sat at the Character Café and beamed at him. As your machine for writing died down, a surge of energy coursed in my verbally constructed veins. It was but a stream of consciousness when I grabbed his muscular hands, stared into those amber orbs, and gave him a smile more glittering than a Pulitzer in a case. Thankfully for me, he pulled me close and shakily retrieved a folded leaf of stationery bearing a love poem. Like with Cupid and Psyche before, no, you can’t prohibit the inking of affections in black in white.


You couldn’t stop Daniel’s sputtered out request to take me to the Idea Theatre for the very first time. The overmorrow after that fateful confession over coffee, he knocked on my door of my flat (Yes, the one you’d described to resemble your own. I think I’d appreciate you cleaning up after yourself, if only my own abode could be immaculate too.) and jittered as his mouth spilt out his desire to fulfil that daydream he’s had ever since you first fashioned him from keyboard strokes: a movie date. Of course, like in those slow-motion scenes in those Nora Ephron flicks, I leapt into his arms and said yes. Stephanie, any cutesy scene you invent has nothing on the way he gently wrapped himself around my waist as we walked to the ticket counter. And oh that kiss as the two main players canoodled on screen --- tinged with the butter popcorn he so kindly bought for us both, so tender! Inside my mind, it’s as if a reel stopped. Like with Boubil and Schönberg’s Chris and Kim, no, you can’t prohibit us from sneaking away to each other’s company, celebrating as if it were the last night of the world.


You can’t stop Daniel and me promenading by the River of Thoughts and laying out blankets of checkered linen and sweet nothings for a picnic. You couldn’t stop us pressed up against each other, my head leaning onto his firm chest, the cadence of his heart the rhythm section to the melody of the words I’m reading him from the tome in my lap. You couldn’t stop every twirl and every giggle as rain pitter-patters on a rooftop and Stevie Wonder’s poetry in notes blares from a radio. Like with Jo and Friedrich Bhaer, no, you can’t prohibit the cloudy, pillow-like peace that comes with two like-minds letting time fall away together.


Oh, and absolutely not, you couldn’t stop Daniel bending down on one knee, an art deco-style diamond seemingly belonging to Daisy Buchanan in a green velvet box before me. As you slammed your computer shut after the umpteenth case of writer’s block yielded but one paragraph, my beloved picked me up and told me we’d be visiting a garden. Little did I know that it secretly was decorated with tulip petals, sting lights making all that greenery look like Wonderland. I couldn’t help being speechless, robbed of the very glib you had bestowed upon me. That’s when my Daniel knelt down, tears flowing from his eyes and spouted out the question I had always longed to be part of our dialogue: Will you marry me? Soundlessly, without anything I could put in quotation marks, I cupped his cheeks and passionately gave him a smooch. As if I were reading the climax of the most gripping of novels, my eyes were glued to my sweetheart slipping the jewel onto my waiting digit. It is so like us to show you no, you can’t prohibit two souls yearning to spend the rest of their lives together --- yes, even if you, the person who conjured us up, brought us to life.


Stephanie, no, you can not stop our love. Really, all I’m asking for you is to change up my partner in your work so we, the figments of your imagination don’t have to pretend, wear yet another set of masks, when your laptop is fired up. It’s really simple now if you think about it. Since you can not make us cease from writing our own story when you’re not around, all you need to do is accept this needed edit to your tale. Call it constructive criticism.


Oh hey, what’s that sound? Is that clicking? Why are you…no….oh no! Don’t send us to the Recycle B….

September 03, 2024 16:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

69 comments

Annie Persson
19:32 Sep 07, 2024

Noooo! Oh, Steph! I know the life of a pantser can get... hectic when characters don't want to do something you really think they should. But, sometimes, YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO THEM (AHEM). I've had some very interesting tales twist an turn their way into a beautiful tapestry that way, and I can really vibe with this story. Wonderful words! :)

Reply

Alexis Araneta
23:43 Sep 07, 2024

Hi, Annie ! Hahahaha ! Funnily enough, I'm more of a plotter. But I wanted to tie into the prompt. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Annie Persson
09:17 Sep 08, 2024

Well, everyone has their crosses to bear... 😋

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cedar Barkwood
19:29 Sep 11, 2024

This was wonderful! It was funny, ironic, well written. As a pantser myself this was refreshing. Thank you so much for sharing, and maybe a little less skydiving?

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:22 Sep 12, 2024

Hi, Cedar ! So happy you liked this story. I..am more of a plotter, so at least, my characters do not need to have identity crises. Hahahaha ! Thank you for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Justin J. Harris
15:55 Sep 07, 2024

I feel attacked. I am embarrassed. I want to write with my eyes closed and apologize with every tap of the delete button. Now when I boot up all my docs app and see all the unfinished worlds… I’ll hear booing noises lol. I love this story, no wait, these stories*, no wait, their story*!? Awesome work. Thank you.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:17 Sep 07, 2024

Hi, Justin! Hahahahaha ! Yes, if only we could apologise to our characters Thank you for reading and commenting!

Reply

Justin J. Harris
17:16 Sep 07, 2024

Most welcome :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:22 Sep 06, 2024

Cool title. This sure made me giggle. I received a comment that mine seemed like the background plot was soapy. (I chose the same prompt) I also imagined a character put with the wrong partner, and then taken away from the right one, pleading to be back with her. As we know, characters carve out their own plots. Whatever we wrote, we had lots of fun doing it! Your author is a pantser. My author follows writing suggestions and comes back with excuses for all the criticism from a MC. Whichever style we write in, we write about characters that...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:44 Sep 07, 2024

Hi, Kaitlyn ! I couldn't resist using a pun in the title. Hahahaha ! For some reason, I felt like I wanted to do something a bit different with the prompt and have them be okay with the changes...but wanting to swap out their partner. I'm happy it worked. Funnily enough, I'm more of a plotter. I even list down what my characters would be like and needed plot points for stories on a piece of paper. Hahahaha ! I do hope my characters don't complain. No, I'm not deleting them, though. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
21:07 Sep 06, 2024

Only a writer could write something like this. I had immense fun reading it.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:45 Sep 07, 2024

Hi, Darvico ! Yep, the prompt called for it. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
15:43 Sep 04, 2024

Romance that writes itself.💘 Lovely job and I like the play on words of the title.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:52 Sep 04, 2024

Thank you so much, Mary ! Of course, I found a way to shoehorn romance into the prompt. Hahahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
09:48 Sep 15, 2024

Hi Alexis This is a clever, well-written story. I had to look up 'pantser', having never heard of it before—so it's not just a good story but educational as well!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
12:43 Sep 15, 2024

Hi, Stevie ! Yep, it's a term meaning someone who writes without really a plan. I'm happy you liked it and found it clever.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Fern Everton
14:00 Sep 14, 2024

Oh gods, as a panster myself, this is what my characters go through— I change my mind on them every week, haha! One in particular has gone through so many different iterations that I’m pretty sure if they entered the real world, they’d want to strangle me. Ack, just as the two star-crossed lovers finally got their happy ending, Stephanie changed her mind! Perhaps she’ll reincarnate them in another manuscript and they’ll be together… or change her mind yet again and doom them to an eternity just out of reach! Our poor children born of boredo...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:53 Sep 14, 2024

Hi, Fern ! So happy you liked the story. I consider myself a plotter, so thankfully, none of my thought babies have to suffer this fate...all that much. Hahahaha ! Yes, precisely. Unfortunately for them, all that trying to defend their relationship still got them deleted. I too want them to have their happy ending. Hahahaha ! Thank you for reading, as usual, Fern ! It really means a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:13 Sep 12, 2024

haha that was hilarious I loved that story I hope you make more but this time please just let her live and love

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:41 Sep 13, 2024

Hahahaha ! Happy you found it funny, Tehron ! As for the HEA endings, sure, sometimes, I do that. I like to experiment with endings, though. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
17:05 Sep 12, 2024

The pesky characters have a habit of dominating us, don’t they? Or do they? They will insist on getting their way all the time! Romantic fools! I like the description of slamming the computer case shut after “the upteenth case of writer’s block yielded but one paragraph.” How true Lots of fun here. Enjoyable interpretation of the prompt.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
18:10 Sep 12, 2024

Hi, Helen ! Yes, I did have fun writing this. Well, I like to think of my characters as having their own desires but having the misfortune of being fictional and unable to act on these wants. I try to be as nice to them as possible. Hahahaha ! Glad you liked it. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Helen A Smith
19:07 Sep 12, 2024

Although I didn’t get time to write for this prompt, it makes me realise how much our characters actually seem to take on a life of their own.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Susan O'REILLY
11:11 Sep 12, 2024

Funny and clever much enjoyed x

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:54 Sep 12, 2024

Thank you, Susan ! I'm happy you liked it. I had fun with it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
K.A. Murray
09:20 Sep 12, 2024

Oh, my goodness, loved this! You do such a wonderful job with imagery and references to create really rich text with a lot of attention to detail. I love the ending as well.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
11:49 Sep 12, 2024

Thank you so much, Kerriann ! Glad you liked my little references. I really had fun writing this. Like I said in other comments, perhaps, Stephanie doesn't like her protagonists mouthy. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Max Wightwick
16:55 Sep 11, 2024

"However, there is one thing about me that you’ve kept intact, a tiny morsel of my parsed together existence that has remained as solid as the stone walls of the first cave drawings where Homo Erectus first told his tales." "Like with Cupid and Psyche before, no, you can’t prohibit the inking of affections in black in white." The first quote I found to be hilarious, whereas the second beautiful. Your ending was perfect, and throughout I had trouble deciphering where the zany tale was leading me - a very good thing.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:37 Sep 11, 2024

Hi, Max !! Oooh, I'm very glad you caught those literary references. I wanted to incorporate them given the theme was writing. I'm happy the ending surprised you too. Thank you for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
12:58 Sep 10, 2024

Fine work. I will cower when my characters started like Ai to talk back to me on what they like and what they don't like. I will not be surprise if Musk come out with something like that in near future although. I think its on offing an invention of such nature. Keep the good up.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
13:26 Sep 10, 2024

Thank you, Philip ! Indeed, that would be chilling.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
00:33 Sep 10, 2024

True Love will win! Even in the unfinished paged of the next Best Seller! But the MC should have known not to criticism too much, no writer likes an editor! Thanks!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
01:26 Sep 10, 2024

Hi, Marty ! Exactly that. As my protagonist mentions, she will end up marrying Daniel anyway in that non-story world. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Hurst
12:02 Sep 09, 2024

I absolutely loved this. There are so many allusions, so much detail! And thank you for introducing me to the word "pantser." Maybe it's an Americanism? Or maybe I need the title down before I even type a word! You should win with this one, and all my fingers are crossed.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
12:27 Sep 09, 2024

Hi, Rebecca ! I'm chuffed you liked it ! I had buckets of fun writing this. Oh, and as for "pantser", perhaps it is an Americanism (Otherwise, it would be a "trouserer" ? Hahahaha !). I do hear that a lot in a writing Discord group I belong to. I am NOT one, though. I have to plot for any story to make sense. Hahahaha ! I do hope I win. If not, though, at least, I had fun. Thank you for reading !

Reply

Rebecca Hurst
12:59 Sep 09, 2024

It was a really good prompt, I think. It seems to have inspired us all !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
11:32 Sep 09, 2024

Very fun! "I'm in love with Daniel!" How dare she make her own decisions that are at odds with her writers! Who does she think she is??? This was highly engaging and a great interpretation of the plot. Characters, eh?! Cheekly little so-and-sos!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
12:31 Sep 09, 2024

Hi, Derrick ! Right. How dare our protagonist fall in love with Daniel. But there's Ethan. He's blonde and burly! And...blonde and burly. Hahaha ! I'm happy you liked my take on the prompt. As I mentioned earlier, I wanted a different take on it and thought what if the protagonist is fine with the changes...but wants her love interest to change too. I...try to be kind to my characters, though. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
23:55 Sep 08, 2024

Classic Alexis. Wonderfully quirky, funny-romantic, tongue-in-cheek. Not dragged out of the recycle bin, I trust! Love the Elton John/Daniel line.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:53 Sep 09, 2024

Thank you, Carol ! It means so much coming from you ! I liked "Not dragged out of the recycle bin". Hahahaha ! The pour protagonist, though. And yes, I do love "Daniel". One of my favourites from Elton John. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
LC Reid
21:52 Sep 08, 2024

Oh, I loved this so much. As a sometimes-pantser, I feel a little called out and feel the need to apologize to the narrator. And then go back and apologize to my own graveyard of unfinished/unused characters...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:51 Sep 09, 2024

Hi, LC ! Hahahaha ! Sorry for the unnecessary call out. I wanted to experiment with the idea of a romantic lead wanting a different partner. But yes, I like plotting, so at least my characters won't be confused on who they are. Hahahaha ! Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna W
21:35 Sep 08, 2024

I love this story! So funny. I think most writers I know have experienced that moment where their characters veer off the path they’ve laid out. Lol I loved the phrase “ verbally constructed veins.” So creative! Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
02:38 Sep 09, 2024

Hi, Anna ! Precisely that. I like to think, though, that unlike Stephanie, I welcome all the verring away from my plotting. Hahahaha ! I'm happy you found it funny and enjoyable. Thanks for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.