Only When the Ghosts Are Out

Submitted into Contest #65 in response to: Write about someone’s first Halloween as a ghost.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Holiday Drama

           - Danny Strong…Luba Campbell…Craig Pears… – And so the names of the gone kept going on. – …Derek Rushmore…Patricia Lim… - That was the system of the dead. Each one of them was kept in little rooms that could fit about 50 persons, 53 if there were kids. They were organized in distinct sections, specifically of how they died; choked, drowned, disease, car accidents, and so on. They had little notes stick to the walls outside of the rooms to identify each category, calling their names one by one to have a record of them. This happened the same day of every year, Halloween, and today they were going out.

           Some people believe in ghosts, others swear they have seen them; sounds, shadows, strange figures no one quite knows how to describe. The land of the dead agrees to this suppositions, this beliefs, but in reality, yes ghosts do exist, but they only come out twice a year, once if you died in Halloween. Those are the rules. You can’t break them. A ghost is supposedly allowed in the human world on the anniversary of their death day…and also in Halloween, just to mix in with humans. So what happens when you die in Halloween? You just go out once, which is unfair but those are the rules, and like I said, you can’t break them.

           That was the case of Sean Naves. He died a Halloween night when a car ran over him. Although, he didn’t stay in the section of the dead by car accidents, not if you die in Halloween. That’s a whole different category. But he didn’t have to wait anymore. It was Halloween, and he was going out to blend with the humans, just once every 365 days, 366 in some occasions, but today it was the very first time he was going out.  

           - …Sean Naves… - He heard his name being called out. They were all lined up ready to leave their rooms. In all fairness, it wasn’t a bad place to be at. You met new ghosts, some nice, some not so much, and even though you had to wait a while for your turn, it didn’t felt like much. Time was subjective. At times if felt like those 365 days, other times just minutes, but the rush of stepping outside of that small room felt the same, whether the wait felt longer or shorter. It was a rush of feeling human again, partly human at least. A rush of reuniting with your friends and family, whether they saw you or not. It didn’t matter, you were out, and the touch of the wind felt the same as if you were alive.

           Sean had it all planned since the day he died, or since they told him the rules. He was going to walk the streets, maybe see some kids trick or treating, perhaps he could scare one or two people, and then visit his sister. He hadn’t seen her in a while, and it hurt. When he was alive, they were as close as a brother and sister can be, pretty much best friends. They did everything together, since they were little until…well, a year ago. But this was his one chance of seeing her once again. He wasn’t going to miss that.

           So he stepped outside, now in the real world as some would call it. It was different this time. He couldn’t remember much from his past life, but he knew it didn’t feel the same. The weight on his feet was so much lighter than it used to be, and although he could reach for things; trees, posts, houses, he couldn’t feel them. It was as if his whole body was numb, and the pavement felt the same. More so he was sliding than walking, those little grains in the ground and the dust that travelled through it didn’t feel the same, but this was so much better that the restrain he had before.

           Halloween was always a funny holiday for him. People going outside dressing up, pretending to be someone they are not for one night might seem fun, but when you look at it differently. They are the same people you see every day, more than usual, wandering in the city, stumbling upon each other, wearing masks underneath their normal face. If you took the masks off, the costumes off, it would be some sort of chaos. So what was different about Halloween? He didn’t understand, but he was taking advantage of it now.

           No one saw him. He could walk through people and they wouldn’t even notice; perhaps a brief breeze, but that’s it. He could get into people’s houses, move things around, or torment anyone he would please, but that wasn’t his plan. That wasn’t the purpose of him coming out. So he walked past the Draculas and Frankensteins, the princesses and mommies, the creatures he couldn’t identify as ghosts or humans. Maybe there was a mixture of both. Maybe there was another land where monsters and beasts had their own system of going out in Halloween. He didn’t know who saw him or didn’t. He could be seen if he wanted, just through a white sheet over him and pretend to be a cartoonish ghost. So he did. He grabbed a bedsheet from a store and threw it on himself. He got out and resumed his journey.

A little girl, not that old. She must have been seven or eight years old, sat on the sidewalk with a pumpkin in her hand and tears in her eyes. Should he do something? Perhaps not. No. It wasn’t a good idea. Maybe just be with her until she feels good, and then leave. No. He shouldn’t. Well…it wouldn’t hurt. Just to say hi.

           - Are you okay? – He asked. She was dressed as a witch. Her green face was smudged underneath her eyes, and her fake mole about to fall out. She had a purple dress with tinsel at the bottom of it, and a black hat that was too big for her head. How can someone let their kid trick or treat on their own? Sean thought. – Do you want me to search for your parents?

           - No. It’s okay. – The little girl said back. She looked up at him now, and a gentle smile creeped underneath her mouth. She was so little and tiny he thought he could carry her with one arm. – My house isn’t that far.

           - What are you doing on your own?

          - I don’t mind being on my own, I just… - And here she looked at him without blinking and eye. She reached her hand out waiting for the ghost to hold it back. – …I was waiting for a fried, and he took long to arrive. Then some kids laughed at me for being all alone and looking lost. They called me things, talking about how ugly I looked in green.

         - Don’t listen to them. – He considered holding her hand. Could he do that? Could he touch another person without going through them if he tried really hard? But he didn’t have to. She grabbed his hand without his permission and didn’t let go of it for the rest of their journey. – I think you look as cute as any witch can be. – She smiled, and he smiled back, even though she couldn’t see him.

           He bent down, filling the gaps in her face where there wasn’t green anymore, smudging it with his sheet.

           - There. – He said. – All done. Now, let’s take you home. – His journey to his sister would have to wait. He still had the rest of the night.

          - Okay. – She stood up and they kept walking down the street. – By the way, yours isn’t a very good costume.

           - What! – She laughed.

           - Sorry, but a bed sheet isn’t much effort for a costume.

           - Well now thanks to you I’m a ghost with a green spot. – She smiled. – So why didn’t your friend arrive?

           - Oh, he must have been late. You never know with him.

           - He is one of those kinds of friends then.

         - Yes, but he is nice. I don’t mind him being like that. – She looked down at the pumpkin bag, and reached out for a chocolate bar. – Do you want one?

          - No, thanks. – He really wanted to say yes. He wondered how it must feel like to taste something. Could he even do that? Eat something? He remembered how much he liked chocolate, specially the crunchy ones with nuts inside, but he couldn’t take a risk. She was being so nice he didn’t want to scare her.

           They walked and talked all the way to her house. Kids where still out in the streets, making pranks, throwing eggs and eating candy on every step of the way. Him and the little girl didn’t let go of each other for the whole night. She told him all sorts of things, about her teddy bears, her dog, how she was going to dress up as a pirate and so much more. He talked here and there, but mostly listened. It had been a while since he felt like this, and for a second, he forgot he was a ghost. He felt alive for a short amount of time, not physically, but mentally yes. And this little girl did this. This little girl made him feel like the wind didn’t blow through him, that people could see him, like he was just another human celebrating Halloween in town. But they arrived at her house, and the time he felt like that was getting shorter and shorter, just about to end.

            - Here’s my house. – She said.

           - Here’s your house. It was nice meeting you. – She smiled, showing just three of her teeth, one of them missing.

           - You can take this off now. – She pointed at his sheet, and before he could stop her, the door opened wide.

        - Angelica come in. Dinner is almost ready. – A man said behind the door.

           - That’s my dad. – She said. – I think I should go.

      - He doesn’t mind me being here? I mean, he didn’t even acknowledge me. He didn’t notice you weren’t alone.

           - He can’t see you uncle Sean.

           - What?

           - He can’t see you.

          - No, no, no. Why did you call me like that? How do you know my name?

           - Because you told it to me.

           - No I didn’t.

           - Yes you did, many years ago. That’s how I know he can’t see you but me, we’ve tried before.

           - What do you mean by many years ago?

         - I see you every year, on Halloween. – She reached out and took off the white sheet from him. – I know you are a ghost uncle Sean. You have been for a while.

           - No…of course not. That can’t be, see I died…I died just…well it wasn’t that long ago.  

          - Uncle Sean… - And he saw it. The brick façade outside the house, the lemon tree in front of the main window, the ‘welcome home’ mat that rested next to the door. The old Halloween decorations. His sister’s house.

           - It’s been eight years hasn’t it?

           - I don’t know. When I was born you were already gone…but that’s okay, I get to see you every year. It’s true sometimes you don’t remember, but you are still you.

           - You’re Ava’s daughter. – A tear fell from his eyes. He didn’t know ghosts could cry.

         - Do you want to come inside? I mean, we can try again, maybe this time they’ll be able to…

           - No, you go inside.

           - Are you sure?

           - Yes I’m sure.

           - Mom would love to see you. – Laughs came from inside the house, and a smell of homemade food. There was Ava, with the brightest smile he had ever seen, dancing and singing with the man that opened the door not that long ago. She was happy. She needed to be happy. She hadn’t been for a while.

         - I think she’ll be alright without me. – So the little girl hugged him and said goodbye right before she closed the door after getting inside. This was their home. This was how homes were supposed to be, and he was happy for them. Sean took a step back and saw her sister’s house; that lemon tree, the Halloween decorations, and the brown mat resting next to the door. He stepped back from it, slowly and gently, without taking his eyes off from it. People couldn’t see him, and the wind did blow through him, but he was coming back, in 365 days, 366 sometimes, and that little girl could see him. But for now, he needed to leave, only for a while.        

October 28, 2020 21:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.