20 comments

General

"You have to eat your ice-cream before it melts if you buy it in cone form. I think you should have ordered yours in a cup!"


Startled, Mae was brought back to the present. She felt someone blotting out her sun. All she wanted to do was spend a day in the sun. She thought of Herold's Bay beach as her own and here was some stranger remarking on what was obviously happening to her and her ice-cream. She had spent the day on her beach engrossed in her book. Mae placed her bookmark on the page she was reading and slowly closed it, thinking of something really sarcastic to reply to the remark that had taken her from her book.


She turned. 'I don't believe this!' she thought. 'Megan Wilson, in the flesh" but she did not say a word.


"Mae, I wish you could see your face," Megan carried on. "Looks like you have just seen a ghost." She opened her arms and enveloped Mae in a hug. "It's wonderful to see you after all these years!"


The ice-cream was now running down Mae's arm, she discarded it and searched in her bag for tissues.


"What are you doing here Megan? Aren't you and Henry supposed to be in Thailand?" she asked.


"Well that's a long story," Megan said, sitting down on the sand.

A silence fell over them. Both looking for the right words.


Ten years ago the two best friends had just started their own restaurant. They both had exceptional culinary skills and although completely opposite personalities, they just clicked.


They met after leaving school and registered at the Westridge Culinary Studio to learn their trade. Soon they rented an apartment together and for the next two years they were inseparable. If they weren't experimenting with new dishes, they were out at the movies or at a party.


Megan was a wild and free spirit and Mae loved being with her. Mae at last had some excitement in her dreary life and she was loving it. When she was in Megan's company she was immediately accepted by everyone present and as time went by she became confident and bold but always still her sensible self.


It was at the Culinary School's Christmas party that Mae met Henry. Megan was on the other side of the room being the centre of attraction when this Henry Wilson came and sat next to her. He did not say a word. Mae had her elbows propped on the table holding her wine glass in both hands. She could feel Henry looking at her. She sat back, turned and looked into the most beautiful brown eyes. Henry just smiled and still not a word.


"Oh, I see you have met Handsome Henry!' Mae burst in on them. "Do you know who this gorgeous creature is Mae? Be nice to him and we will both pass our exams. Henry's father owns Westridge Culinary."


"Well at least I now know your name, Mae. Can I get you another wine."


That was the night Mae fell in love. For once everything fell into place for Mae.


Mae and Megan qualified as chefs. Mae had a small savings account and with that and a loan from the bank, they opened M&M, their very own restaurant. Life was perfect.


Mae was thrilled when, one evening, Henry took her out for dinner at a very exclusive restaurant. Sitting opposite her, handsome as ever, Henry took her hand and suggested she move into his apartment with him. Being very much in love with Henry, Mae did not have to think twice and agreed.


"Megan, I have something to share with you," Mae called as she set the table for Sunday morning breakfast.


Megan appeared with a towel round her head and a grin from ear to ear. "I know, Mae. I have actually known for the entire week. Congrats, you and Henry are a good couple. You don't mind if I stay on in our apartment, do you? I'll sort out the lease agreement later."


"Not a problem at all. It will also give me time to move my personals at intervals because the restaurant is really getting busy now. Hope you don't mind having them here for a while longer. I will really miss these Sunday morning breakfasts!" Mae looked at Megan. 'Is this the right move for me?' she thought.


M&M was Mae and Megan's dream and they had to work long hours. Mae was a better chef than Megan and she automatically took over the kitchen. Megan on the other hand, with her gregarious personality, took over front of house and saw that customers were happy.


Henry would often have dinner at their restaurant, M&M, and Mae would wave at him from the kitchen as he sat at his usual table. The two had to carefully plan their schedules to make sure they spent time together. Megan would join Henry at his table every now and then as she had a break in between seeing to the customers.


There were evenings when Mae returned home so late that Henry was already in bed but she would quietly creep into bed and snuggle into Henry's back where she felt safe. She knew Henry understood that they had to work this hard to get the business going and she knew she loved Henry.


On other occasions Mae would be in bed already when Henry came back from a late night at the office. He would then always pour himself a bourbon, his favourite was Old Forester, then sit at the dining room table for a while before he came to bed. He would then quietly slip into bed, trying to not wake Mae.


Sunday morning breakfast was still their favourite meal of the week when they could get together and relax. One particular Sunday, Megan had arranged for breakfast at her place. Mae and Henry arrived with quiche from the deli to add to breakfast. Megan had set a beautiful table in the dining room and they sat down to breakfast with a coffee aroma that hung in the air. Mae loved these mornings.


"Let's get stuck into this scrumptious spread," Henry said as he poured the orange juice into fluted glasses. "Wait I have something to add!" he disappeared into the kitchen. He popped the cork of a champagne bottle as he came back to the table and topped up the orange juice in the glasses.


"It looks like this is a celebration of sorts!" Mae exclaimed. "Why the champagne?"


"Mae, you know Henry's company has been negotiating with a franchise group to open their first restaurant here in South Africa. Henry has been tossing the idea to me for some time now and he thinks we are good enough to approach the franchise group with M&M. What do you think?" Megan and Henry looked at Mae.


Mae did not know what to think. Never mind what to say.


"Mae, doesn't it sound a wonderful idea?" Henry said after a long silence.


"I don't know what to say. When did all this happen? What will it mean for M&M? Things seem okay to me just as they are!"


"This could be our big break Mae. Henry has helped set up the presentation and we have an appointment for next week with the franchise company." Megan carried on. "We thought you could steer the helm for a few days while we went to London."


Mae sat back flabbergasted. "Do I even have a choice or a say in the matter?"


The next week Henry and Megan were off to London to do the presentation. Once Mae had gathered her thoughts she saw the merit in this escapade of Henry and Megan and jumped in to keep everything afloat while they were away.


M&M ran smoothly and Mae even had time to go to Megan's apartment to collect the last of her belongings. Mae used to love this apartment and after packing her bag she made a cup of coffee and sat at the dining room table to sort the post. She looked at the drooping flowers in the vase. Megan never sees to things like this, she thought. Next to the vase was a bottle of Old Forester Bourbon. Megan never had bourbon in the apartment.


Megan and Henry arrived back late on Saturday and they were too tired to chat, so they organized Sunday breakfast at the new bistro that had just opened in Parktown.


"I've heard great reviews about this bistro," Mae said as they sat down. "I'm dying to taste their Eggs Benedict and they make their croissants in house. Where is Megan this morning?"


"Mae, I don't want there to me any misunderstanding between us. You are too special to me so I am going to be completely honest with you." Henry started.


Their coffee arrived and as Henry took a breath to carry on, Mae held up her hand to stop him. "You know Henry, over the past few years I have actually become an independent woman. I run a very efficient business and normally make good decisions. One thing I am sure of is that there was no misunderstanding that I loved you. That was until I saw the Old Forester Bourbon standing on Megan's dining room table. I really don't like a cheat. Now to be absolutely sure that there are no more misunderstandings, I will pack all your belongings and you can give me an address to deliver them to. You can pay this bill as it will be our last Sunday morning breakfast. Goodbye Henry!"


Mae felt rather good as she walked to the car. I really don't even care how Henry is going to get to wherever he wants to be. 


Megan did not contact Mae again and Mae heard via the grapevine that she was going to marry Henry before Christmas. Mae was managing the restaurant but it did not have the heartbeat it used to so she put it up for sale and soon she had a buyer. As soon as all the documents where complete, she sent them over to Megan to sign. She let out her apartment and decided that the coast was a good place to head for.


The ice-cream now lay melted on the sand and Mae's hands were still sticky.

"It must be six years now since we last saw each other. I'm divorced and I owe you an apology..." Megan began.


Mae stopped her by putting a hand on her arm. "Now let there be no misunderstanding between us. Handsome Henry may have caused turmoil in our lives, but I am happy to be here and even more so now that I have my best friend beside me!"


Mae sat down next to Megan and in silence they watched the tide come in.







August 07, 2020 14:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

Ayla Zulfiqar
10:31 Aug 20, 2020

I re-read the story. I got it wrong the first time and I apologize. Okay, so Megan is so annoying as I’ve read the second part as well. Her selfish desires and greed shows very well so good job with that! Keep writing!

Reply

Estelle Westley
12:22 Aug 20, 2020

Thanks for doing that. I think it was because there were two parts to the story. I am now thinking I might even be able to put part three to do this. Just having fun with the characters. Super of you to go back.

Reply

Ayla Zulfiqar
14:57 Aug 20, 2020

Oh yeah you should try to explore the two further. It might turn out to be a good plotline for a slice of life novel or who knows even mystery.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Favour Ileya
02:50 Aug 14, 2020

Amazing! I love that you gave Mae the privilege to find herself again and to understand what relationships really matters.

Reply

Estelle Westley
09:27 Aug 14, 2020

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read. I am loving this journey.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
S. Closson
22:49 Aug 13, 2020

Very neat story! It was nice watching the evolution of Mae and Megan's friendship, and that ending was especially good! Keep up the great work!

Reply

Estelle Westley
09:26 Aug 14, 2020

Thank you. Much appreciated for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Le Roux
07:21 Aug 11, 2020

Yay South Africa! Nice surprise to see Herold's Bay. Some good writing :) I think you would improve of you focus on going deeper into specific moments and character a little more. This is very broad for a short story and needs some focus. But well done.

Reply

Estelle Westley
07:56 Aug 11, 2020

Thank you. I will definitely work on those aspects of my writing. Are you in South Africa?

Reply

Kate Le Roux
10:47 Aug 11, 2020

Yes, Cape Town :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
00:55 Aug 11, 2020

This was such an interesting read, the language is nice, simple and effective. You characterised both Mae and Megan really well, and it was interesting to see how their friendship began and developed. I'm always a sucker for best friend reunion kind of stories. Amazing job! :)

Reply

Estelle Westley
03:32 Aug 11, 2020

Thanks for reading. I appreciate it.

Reply

Yolanda Wu
03:47 Aug 11, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aditya Pillai
06:54 Aug 09, 2020

That was a wonderful read. Well written and concise. An enjoyable read, conveying the various facets of friendship, betrayal and forgiveness. Great stuff! I would love to get your feedback on my latest :)

Reply

Estelle Westley
08:47 Aug 09, 2020

Thank you for your input. I am loving this journey. I will give you feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Doubra Akika
17:21 Aug 08, 2020

This ending was so beautiful! Like Deborah pointed out. It was sad to see their friendship almost go to ruin so the ending was wonderful! Please don't stop writing, Estelle. I really enjoyed this! If you're not too busy, I would love if you could give me feedback on one of my submissions. Have an amazing day and God bless you!

Reply

Estelle Westley
19:08 Aug 08, 2020

Thank you for reading. Much appreciated. Will definitely read yours.

Reply

Doubra Akika
19:45 Aug 08, 2020

Thanks a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
12:03 Aug 08, 2020

I loved the ending of the story, Estelle! This is a good story, keep on writing! Would you mind checking my recent story out, "(Pink)y Promise"? Thank you :D

Reply

Estelle Westley
13:00 Aug 08, 2020

Thanks for taking the time to read it. I will pop over and read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.