78 comments

Creative Nonfiction Inspirational

This story contains sensitive content

CW: Mentions of suicidal ideation, mental health struggles, anorexia nervosa

**

First of all, I very much know how much it hurts. Quite literally, it does.


You sit in your wheelchair as they push you bumpily and help you up the maroon leather-backed banquette at the very front of a coffee chain’s branch in the hospital’s lobby. You’re fully aware that the mobile chair is but standard operating procedure for leaving the medical centre, yet the mere idea of your willpower being excised along with that gangrene bit of your small intestine the surgeons took out just six days before makes you wince and sigh. No worries, though, when you look at the amethyst-backed menu as intensely as you would a Snellen Chart, beam, and watch your almond-shaped cocoa eyes sparkle.


You’ve walked up to similar marble counters across the city, asked for the same three-cheese and mushroom fusilli bowl and Moroccan Mint tea latté from some aubergine-aproned barista, almost as if the routine were doctor’s orders. However, you knew that today, your usual gooey pasta dish and the slight hint of aromatic cinnamon and chocolate in your beverage would be extra delectable. After all, one week of subsisting on intravenous fluids and then, flavourless jellies made even the simplest fare seem like Beluga Caviar.


You fork a mouthful into the cavernous expanse on your face, practically shovelling every morsel despite the undeniable acrid disinfectant smell permeating the air. Soon, your belly expands and then, you feel it. The staples holding your core together, the very same ones that will sting once Doctor Cinco dislodges them from your skin three weeks later, start pressing into the rubberised abdominal binder that keeps making you perspire. That burning sensation makes you wish they still pumped the sweet release of morphine into your circulatory system You will your mind to press on, though, keep your lips stiff as a limb in a cast, and jolt energy to your spine so you could sit up straight. Well, didn’t they call you the same thing your entire stay, anyway: The Fighter?


Of course, this wasn’t the first time you have been dubbed that. No, there have been moments, way too many instances where you’ve clawed your way out of a medical team pronouncing you dead.


As soon as you were born, you’ve had to take your first punch. You were scurried away to the neonatal intensive care unit where the healthcare team poked and prodded you, tsked, and declared “Yep, it’s a liver ailment.” Your barely open eyes scanned the room to gaze at your mum and dad’s stony expressions belying the petrification, the tempest inside making their pulses race.


Somehow, though, your minutes-old brain had taken all of this in scrupulously, almost like an intern observing the most critical quadruple bypass, and decided to pump determination into you, almost as if you were on a drip. You balled up those miniscule fists and gritted your way to leaving the NICU two weeks later. When your parents were finally able to take you home, you vowed to hang on, to make sure those lines keep going zigzag on a monitor. Of course, you still do.


When you were 16, you were thrust into Round 2, so to speak. Your beloved English teacher would find you doubled over on the classroom floor during a lunch break. The very next day, an A&E physician would examine you and frown as she pressed her hand onto your abdomen. She’d immediately ask for a sonogram, one that reveals a dark-coloured, malignant-looking tumour strangling your left ovary.


Suddenly, you dashed from chatting with your mates about books to seeing an oncologist, from worrying whether or not you’re done editing the features articles in the school newspaper to fretting about whether or not the possible round of chemotherapy would annihilate your strength. Nevertheless, you command your soul, that integral bit of you that no MRI machine can detect, to bear down, to kick and jab. As you lay on a table and scalpels slice you open, you rivet steel onto your consciousness to go on, to heal. When you hobbled out of the gynaecology ward, you smiled at the second chance at life handed to you with the discharge papers. Of course, you still do.


All those hospital stays, though, were nothing compared to the guerilla campaign you had to wage in the arid fields of your psyche. If going under the knife was a boxing match, in your head was all out war.


You always knew that you marched to the beat of your own drum, did not follow the yells of the invisible drill sergeant of “normal”. The girl who constantly dove into the trenches of her world of stories, who sloppily devoured every new language rule of the tongues she was interested in learning, would obviously find herself repeatedly stepping over social landmines. In the battle arena of secondary school, you were the unlucky target of verbal AK-47s, of unknown bodily fluids secretly smeared onto your uniform. All of those bullets were too much for your adolescent mind to bear, and so, you started fantasising about waving a white flag on existing, about surrendering to the cloaked assassins holding your heart hostage.


The only thing that went on a rescue mission to save you from the dark jungles of your emotions was your love of writing. Every word scrawled in flowing cursive in your old exercise notebooks was a helicopter ride out of the wilderness; every plot conjured up was a shoulder carry from an officer out of the bomb out of the frontlines. Your passion for creating tapestries from words gave you a mission, a reason to continue. To this very day, whenever you churn out a story, you breathe a sigh of relief that you did not let the mental enemies capture you. Of course, you still do.


It's battles like this that led you to a stapled-up tummy in a café.

Growing up, the sentence “You’d be so pretty if only you lost weight” pierced your ears consistently, almost as if it were a bugle call. You’ve learnt to put up a shield, to subsume yourself in doing your own thing. However, repetition left kinks in the armour until it was completely deformed. Once again, you reached for your sword, stood firm, and decided to fight…only you had decided to slay yourself.


It started innocently enough; you cut down your portions and stopped cramming down those sweets you adored. Eventually, you whittled down to your ideal weight and the praises for your new body became the shiny golden medals you proudly adorned yourself in. By that time, though, you became addicted to the adulation. Like an expert marksman, your eyes were trained on every roll on your belly and the roundness of your face. Despite dropping down to a staggering six and a half stones, your scrutinising gaze landed on the minutest of skin folds and desired to obliterate them. Soon, you’d spend three hours on punishing work outs, a solitary bunch of grapes the only thing that fuelled your strained muscles.


Then, one day at work, you found yourself vomiting all over your office’s floor, the sensation like a million steel-toed combat boots kicking you in the abdomen. A CT scan would reveal that a bit of your small intestine’s walls adhered to each other due to the lack of sustenance and that you needed emergency surgery or else the gangrene might infect your whole body. As they wheeled you into that operating theatre, you sobbed at your self-mutilation. You promised yourself to cherish this borrowed life you were handed. Of course, you still do.


The car arrives, and your mum helps you into the back seat. You do not know it yet, but you’re driving off into learning to wrangle your demons, to let the affirmations you speak into the mirror cover your heart like a breastplate. You do not know it yet, but you would find comrades --- friends and, eventually, a loving partner --- along the path who’d stay beside you in every skirmish. What you do know, though, is that you’re going home. What you do know is that you have a new lease on life and that you're grateful you can continue to fight again. Of course, you still do…as always.

July 30, 2024 16:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

78 comments

Jim LaFleur
17:35 Aug 06, 2024

Alexis! Your story is incredibly powerful and moving. The way you describe your journey with such raw honesty and vivid imagery is truly inspiring. Thank you for sharing your strength and resilience with us. Keep fighting and writing!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:03 Aug 07, 2024

Jim, thank you so much. This was a very raw story for me to write, but I'm glad you found it moving. And yes, I will keep fighting. Thank you for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
VJ Hamilton
17:37 Aug 20, 2024

Hi Alexis, It takes fortitude to research, imagine, and write intense passages about physically and emotionally wrenching struggles... as fiction... but then, I looked again and saw "non-fiction" as the genre. I was blown away. What bravery! I salute you.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:47 Aug 20, 2024

Hi, VJ ! Yes, this piece is actually raw and real...because I've lived it. I...felt like I wanted to write a bit about my struggles, and I'm glad it came through. May we all live healthier in all aspects of our lives ! Thank you so much for reading and commenting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:50 Aug 18, 2024

Hi Alexis, I've seen you around on the discord so thought I would drop in for a read, and wow this was just fantastic! Definitely one of the most effective uses of 2nd person I've read on Reedsy :) Your vocabulary and descriptions are so good and your extended metaphors are even better, which I really appreciate as a fellow metaphor lover lol The best part for me was what others have highlighted: the rawness of the mental struggles that intertwined with the physical. I've had my share of experiences with hospitals and mental health, and eve...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
12:31 Aug 18, 2024

Hi, Shuv ! Yes, I did see you on the Discord this morning. Thank you for taking the time to read this story ! I thought that the use of second person (Something, Deidra got me hooked on, by the way) was something I needed to do for this piece to make readers relate to the journey of the main character (more on that in a bit). I'm glad you like the imagery too. I love using a theme for my imagery, so I'm glad it worked. I'm also glad I was able to highlight my journey with mental health (Yep, it's actually about me) in a way that's relatable...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:00 Aug 17, 2024

More hospital woes. Poor MC. She always tries to be positive or at least describe everything with pizazz. "creating tapestries from words," which you do so well. Keep it up. I won't be submitting for a few weeks but I will try to read your stories, at least.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
00:17 Aug 18, 2024

Hi, Kaitlyn ! Thanks for reading this story...and thanks for liking my (Yes, it's actually about me) way of describing everything with pizazz. I'll miss your stories for sure !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
16:58 Aug 14, 2024

Hi Alexis. This story reminded so much to remember you never know what's going on with another human being, what challenges they face. It's so easy to make a quick judgemental assessment, all too ofter negative, when you haven't "walked in their shoes". "...As you lay on a table and scalpels slice you open, you rivet steel onto your consciousness to go on, to heal. When you hobbled out of the gynaecology ward, you smiled at the second chance at life handed to you with the discharge papers. Of course, you still do." Wow, beautifully done.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:12 Aug 14, 2024

Hi, Jack ! Precisely that, sometimes, we do not know the struggles the person in front of us faces. This is why I like to assume the best in people. I'm glad you liked that description. I really did hear a voice saying "Okay, time to recover. Make this life count." as I was recuperating from surgery. Hahahaha ! Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
16:33 Aug 14, 2024

Well, very nice story, Alexis. And personal to. Love the descriptions. Nicely done.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:08 Aug 14, 2024

Thank you so much, Darvico !!! That means a lot ! Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
05:02 Aug 14, 2024

Thanks for sharing your story. Inspiring! I appreciated the great descriptive phrases.

Reply

Show 0 replies
J. Rain Sherwin
17:16 Aug 10, 2024

"Your passion for creating tapestries from words gave you a mission, a reason to continue." Yes to the yes of yes! I am rooting for The Fighter.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
17:17 Aug 10, 2024

Very kind of you. And I loved writing that line. Thank you so much !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Hurst
08:54 Aug 10, 2024

I've just read The Fighter. Alexis - it is wonderful! You have a great talent, and I hope you enjoy it, (and profit from it) for all your days!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
10:00 Aug 10, 2024

Thank you, Rebecca ! So kind of you ! You're a brilliant writer too !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
♡ Tana ♡
02:18 Aug 10, 2024

Oh my, what a vulnerable and beautiful piece. This deserves to be seen and heard and appreciated on so many levels. Extraordinary work, as always!!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
05:09 Aug 10, 2024

Oh wow ! Thank you so much, Tana ! That means a lot coming from a brilliant writer like you !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:50 Aug 09, 2024

Hi Alexis, Thanks for sharing this story. I notice that it's tagged as creative nonfiction, so that required vulnerability. Wow, what a great choice to use second person! I think that was a genius idea. That POV weirdly pulled the reader close while maintaining suspense. I'm not sure how you did that, but the effect was powerful. The first line really grabbed me, but speaking of POV, it confused me a little, too, since I don't know who the other person in the story is, the "I." However, from that point on, the POV is consistent. Some of ...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
15:33 Aug 09, 2024

Hi, Christine ! I'm very happy you liked this story. Yes, indeed, it was a bit of a raw but cathartic write for me given that, well, it's a confessional. The switch between "I" and "you", I deliberately did because I wanted it to have this effect of my older, current self talking to my past. I guess that wasn't clear. Hahahahaha ! But I'm happy you liked the second person. Noted on the imagery. I tend to pick out an imagery theme for my stories and try to incorporate that. I guess yes, mixing up the themes could also be effective. I'd edi...

Reply

17:55 Aug 09, 2024

I really enjoyed it! It's so creative and a strong voice.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
02:54 Aug 09, 2024

Hauntingly beautiful. The way you described the hospital felt incredibly real, as if I were being transported there. Amazing writing!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:39 Aug 09, 2024

Thank you so much ! I'm so happy I was able to transport you to the setting. Glad you liked it !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan O'REILLY
13:41 Aug 08, 2024

Alexis how brave of you. A poignant story well told. Onwards and upwards sláinte xx

Reply

Alexis Araneta
13:51 Aug 08, 2024

Thank you so much, Susan ! To be honest, I'm glad I went the raw route. Yes please on moving onwards. Thank you for reading !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daryl Kulak
16:32 Aug 07, 2024

I like the story, Alexis. It's like a poetic autobiography!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:38 Aug 07, 2024

Thank you so much, Daryl ! Glad you thought it was poetic !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
00:20 Aug 06, 2024

Powerful. Really, truly, the words of a fighter and a winner in many ways too.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:48 Aug 06, 2024

Hi, Carol! That means a lot coming from a talented writer like you. Thank you !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
19:13 Aug 05, 2024

My goodness, what an incredible tale of immense courage, but also such grit/determination & …. hope! Thank you so much for sharing your story, Alexis, I really hope the writing process has been cathartic for you…. Your writing manages to draw the reader in from the outset, I even found myself holding my breath as the tale unfolded… Well done 👏 , and keep on writing!

Reply

Alexis Araneta
03:48 Aug 06, 2024

Hi, Shirley ! Thank you so much for your comment. I'm so happy you liked the piece. Like I mentioned in previous comments, I really couldn't think of anything fictional, so I decided to go the raw and honest route. Indeed, yes, the writing process felt really liberating. Yes, it involved reliving some (sometimes literal) painful experiences, but it felt good. Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeff Meade
05:49 Aug 05, 2024

Painful story here, especially considering it's non-fiction. The use of descriptive language made this story come alive, and developed the emotional content in a palpable way.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
07:03 Aug 05, 2024

Thank you so much, Jeff ! I'm happy you liked the imagery here. Thank you for reading.

Reply

Jeff Meade
08:49 Aug 05, 2024

I appreciate descriptive scenery. This one used description in a meaningful way. It’s very well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Fern Everton
16:17 Aug 04, 2024

Oh god, seeing the content warning with the creative nonfiction prompt already hurt my heart a bit. This is so beautifully written and really hit home in several ways. I know people here have already said it, but you’re really a warrior, Alexis. What you described is a lot of awful shit to go through, yet you’re still here telling the world about it, and that’s something to be incredibly proud of. Body image is such a fickle thing and too many people choose to use it as a means of harming others, then wonder why body image is the problem tha...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:32 Aug 04, 2024

Fern, you are so kind ! Thank you so much. It's...a lot, but in a way, it felt freeing to write this. And yes, I still have days I look at my body and feel way too big, but I think I'm getting better at managing those thoughts. Like I said, having lovely friends and the World's Most Supportive Partner helps. I'm so glad to still be alive too; I will indeed continue to fight. You are so incredibly kind. Thank you so much for reading and commenting !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Milly Orie
15:19 Aug 04, 2024

I love your descriptions and the comparisons of being in war-the jungle, the frontlines. Heartbreaking story full of hope. I had the feeling while reading that this was not strictly fictional-you’ve certainly been through so much. I’m so glad we have you with us today.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
16:25 Aug 04, 2024

Thank you so much, Milly. Literally fighting is what it felt like too. Thanks for reading and your very kind comments !

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
08:30 Aug 04, 2024

A brilliant and courageous piece. I loved the warrior imagery. It saddens me to hear about such suffering. There can be so much insensitivity and even cruelty about body image and this results in deep mental anguish and trauma. I also think the use of the second person works well here. Thank you for sharing this.

Reply

Alexis Araneta
09:52 Aug 04, 2024

Thank you so much, Helen ! It's certainly a journey to better mental health, but I'm getting there. Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.