0 comments

Romance Drama Funny

"Can you keep a secret?"

This question gets me ALL the time. If I had a dollar for every time someone said this to me, I could retire from my bartending job and live on an uncharted island in the Pacific.

It wasn't enough that "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" but the pressure of being a bartender here too?

It's not for the faint of heart. Add to this, I'm not your average woman either; makes life difficult.

Most of the women I work with are actually gorgeous. Me? I'm what you call "average". I'm five feet five, brownish hair, curvy and have a bit of a mouth on me. I hold my whiskey better than I hold a conversation. I give better advice in six words than most advice columnists in six paragraphs and I don't know too many people. That last one? It's by choice. I'm not a native Nevadan. I migrated from Wisconsin a year ago. I needed a change of scenery. I will say one thing, J. J., the manager here, is unexpectedly kind.

He isn't that way to everyone.

"Lola,"

"Yeah?"

"How's the crowd been tonight?"

"Slow. It's too hot for anything."

He looked me up and down once maybe twice.

"Hot's the right word. It's what, 110 out there?"

"Yeah."

"That uniform, Lola, why are you wearing it? It's for waitresses."

"If you didn't notice, Josh, I usually waitress. We're short. Tiffany called out tonight. Her kid's sick. I have a bartender licence. I can work the bar. It's easier to replace me than replace a bartender."

Josh never really thought strategically. It was one of his less than admirable qualities.

"Lola, not only are you gorgeous; you're smart too."

I looked at him, rolling my eyes. He's a good looking man. I freely admit that. I also freely admit that he's kinda cocky too. Jenessa, one of the waitresses, walks up to the bar.

"Lola, an unsavory just called me a sweet ass. Then decided to go for gold."

"Where was Tito?"

"Chatting up one of the patrons."

I cracked my neck, then my knuckles. Josh grabbed my shoulder.

"I'm the manager, not you. Down, Feisty. I got this. Stay with Jenessa."

I looked at him, then at Jenessa.

"It's gonna be okay. J.J. is gonna handle this."

I didn't hear much, but what I did was enough to make me realize how much Josh appreciated his female staff.

"If you touch any of my staff again on my property, I personally guarantee that wherever Hoffa is; That place will be easier to find than where you end up, understand?"

I could tell the ice in J.J.'s voice when dealing with Tito.

"Get out. Tonight's your last night."

"WHAT?! YOU CAN'T DO THAT!"

J.J.'s voice went quiet but I still heard him.

"If you think chasing a female is more important than doing your job, go chase 'em."

"Asshole." Tito said.

I saw J.J. walk back into the bar area.

"Jen, you okay?"

"Did you mean what you said?"

"Yes." J.J. replied.

Jenessa threw her arms around both of us.

"You're the best parents I could want! I wish my real ones were like you."

I blushed slightly. J.J. smirked.

"Kid, us as parents would be a sign of the apocalypse. Now, scoot. I need to talk to Lola."

Jenessa laughed.

"Play nice, you two."

She walked away, grinning. I looked at J.J.

"Parents, us? Hell, you barely look at me cross eyed and lovey dovey. I wonder what goes on in your..."

That's when I felt the bristles of his five o'clock shadow on my lips. Shock, ecstasy and raw energy flew between us like an electrical current.

"Do you know how long I've been waiting to kiss you into silence, Lola?"

I couldn't speak.

"The second you walked in the door of the club. That was it. I was done."

I pressed my fingers to my mouth.

"Say something, I dare you." J.J. said.

After what felt like an eternity, I looked into J.J.'s chocolate eyes.

"Do that again. This time, don't stop."

He flashed me a sinister grin.

"This might end up with a pile of clothes behind the bar, Lola. Are you ready?"

"Question is, are you?"

His lips descended on mine. What felt like eternity ended with a harsh cough.

"Joshua James, why are you on the floor?"

My body was on fire. His was solid granite... Until his mother came to deliver something.

" I thought you were coming over tomorrow, Mom."

"I thought you ran a respectable establishment. I guess we're both wrong. Who's this?"

"This is my girlfriend, Lola."

J.J.'s mother scoffed at me.

"What kind of name is Lola?"

"My full name is Charlotte Gaines, Ma'am. I just prefer Lola."

J.J.'s mom looked at me a bit kinder after I introduced myself.

"Charlotte's a much prettier name but in this city, I can see why you chose like you did. Joshua's the same. Your grandma's birthday cake; she promised to give this to you. Stay safe and for God's sake, wear protection. Las Vegas is no place to raise my grandchildren."

She turned to leave. J.J. dropped his head to rest on mine.

"THAT was embarrassing. I'm so sorry."

I kissed J.J.

"It could be worse."

"How?"

"We could have been naked and near completion."

I never realized how sexy his laugh was until it was in my ear.

"Lola, you push my buttons, Dollface."

"So, where are you taking me?"

"My office. I'm locking this door. You, Sweetheart, will be screaming my name. I guarantee that."

I could appreciate a cocky man. Josh wasn't an exception. He was the reason why exceptions exist. In those black pants, I couldn't resist him.

"Come on, Sugar."

The black plush sofa felt like nothing I experienced. That feeling came second to Josh's rough lips on my neck.

"You're mine. Say it, Lola."

"I'm yours, Josh."

The next few minutes felt like an eternity. I begged whoever that no one knocked as I felt his hand up my thigh.

"Whose are you?"

"Yours."

"Good."

I bit back a yelp as I felt his hand where no man had been since my ex husband.

When I finished, he kissed my forehead.

"What about you?"

"Oh.. I'll get mine after work. When I leave, you're coming home with me. I have plans for you."


A few days later, Jenessa looked at me. She noticed I looked different. She hid a smile. That's when J.J. walked in, wrapping an arm around my waist.

"Morning, Angel. How'd you sleep?"

He winked. I could feel the blush creep over my face.

"Oh. My. Gawd! You.. He.. Whaaaaat?!"

I looked at Jenessa.

"Can you keep a secret?"



August 16, 2020 06:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.