2 comments

Fiction Romance Adventure

I was looking at the stars, thinking about you. I wanted to go home to you but I couldn’t, I was too far from you. I wanted the best but I didn’t know that the best comes with sacrifices. I felt the galaxy in between us. The galaxy was full of feeling and its’ stars were telling me that somebody missed me, but the stars didn’t let me know who that was. There was something about you that made me want to break that galaxy.

Now, let me explain to you what happened 

I am George, George Arsons. In 1999, my boss wanted to talk with me, and he started the conversation with- “It is finally happening George...”. At first, I didn’t understand what happened and why he said that when he continued with this sentence- “Do you want to go to the Moon?”. I couldn’t believe that! I wanted to go to the Moon for more than 20 years, so I replied that I wanted that but I had to ask my wife before giving him an answer. I was thinking all day about how I was going to tell her that I wanted to go to the Moon for 7 months. She was hat kind of wife that would pack me lunch before I was going to work, but this time, I wasn’t so sure if she was going to let me do it. She was watching tv when I told her about my long trip to the Moon. We talked the whole night, and we both agreed that I should go to the Moon.

After I told her, I started to make some tests to see if I was able to go to the Moon. Three weeks passed and I had passed all my tests, and everything was perfect but I could see that my wife was worried about me leaving her, and going to such a dangerous place.

On the 8th of July 1999, the rocket that was going to get me there was ready to leave, on the same day I and Jules married. A lot of people were excited for me and my friend Mike to go on the Moon. 

When I finally got into space, I was about to have a heart attack. The view was that beautiful that I thought I was dreaming. The stars, the Earth, everything was exactly how I imagined it to be. Well, Mike, was still shocked about what was happening at that moment. 

After a month, I felt like I was home. I got used to all the things that annoyed me, like, washing my hair with dry shampoo and the water flying, eating potatoes and salad every day because those were the only things, I could have eaten, but what I couldn’t get used to was spending time without Jules. One day, I heard the special cell phone that people that were in space could receive or send calls from space. It was Jules. 

-Hey honey! What are you doing? She spoke 

-I am okay, what about you? 

-We are fine. Jules replied leaving me confused 

-We?  

-I am pregnant George! Jules answered  

I felt an angel near me when she said that she was pregnant. We had tried to have a baby for years, and when we finally made it, I had to stay 356.578 kilometers from her.  

-I can’t believe it! I am going to be a dad! I am so happy!  

-I knew you were going to say that, I am sad that you aren’t going to be here, next to me... Jules said  

-I know but I am going to come back, I promise! I said trying to make her feel better 

-I hope so! Jules said 

-I have to go now. Keep my baby safe, please! I replied proudly 

-Of course! Bye!  

That was the moment when I started regretting it. If I knew I was going to become a dad that soon, I wouldn’t have gone on this trip.  

The third month, I finally walked on the Moon! I was proud of myself for the first time! I felt amazing until something terrible happened. The rocket that got me there broke and I had to wait until my team would send another one, but it takes a lot of time to send a rocket to the Moon. But the worst thing was that I was running out of air too, and Mike was already having problems breathing. The rocket that was broken had enough oxygen for me and for Mike but it wasn’t enough because we had to wait a month and a half for the other rocket to come with oxygen and food. Food wasn’t such a big problem but oxygen really was. 

In the fifth month, the new rocket F650 didn’t come because it got lost. Mike was scared, he had two daughters at home too, and he wanted to survive. I didn’t tell my wife about the problems I had because I didn't want her to worry. I and Mike had to go to find the F650 rocket, that had landed far from where I and Mike were staying, but while we were finding it, an avalanche of meteorites hit Mike. He ended up unconscious. I couldn’t let him die like that so I gave him my bottle of oxygen, he was breathing but he wasn’t far from death either. I took him on a small planet that was near us, but before I did it, he was no longer breathing. I disconnected the bottle of oxygen and then connected it to my costume. The bottle was almost empty, and I was running out of air very quickly. I still remember my wife’s voice when I called her, to tell her that I love her and that I wasn’t going to come home. I heard that she cried and that she was crying while I was talking to her. Before I closed my eyes, I was thinking about the baby and the amazing family that I had and how much I love them 

Four years after, I completely forgot about everything because I ended up losing my memory but something made me feel like somebody was still waiting for me. Somebody out there was thinking about me and loving me. I found the rocket that was broken and I tried to find oxygen in it, but instead, I found a lot of photos, videos, and voice recordings of me talking with Mike, my team, and Jules. Videos of Jules buying clothes for my daughter. Those memories made me remember everything, every single moment I have gone thru since I was born when the cell phone started ringing. There was Nia. She was the one who was able to find rockets in space and she told me that she thought that I was dead but guess what, I wasn’t! Nia told me that she would send a special rescue rocket and that it would land tomorrow where the rocket I was in the back then was.  

When the rescue team took me to their rocket, they were completely amazed how I survived four years without oxygen, well, I explained to them that I found 10 bottles of oxygen in the back of the rocket and that I found some potatoes left, so I had food, oxygen, and water left in the back of the rocket in case we were out of them before coming home. Mike was dead. The rescue team found him but there was nothing left to do to make him come back. 

I will never forget the moment that I finally landed on the ground, walking on the cement. There was my wife with a girl that was my daughter. When I hugged them, I felt that they were that somebody that was still waiting for me. I saw my house, that remembered the beautiful memories I had. My daughter had my eyes but she had her mother’s face.  

Now, after 10 years, I can say that even if you are in space, all alone, there will always be somebody that is loving you even if they were on another planet than you.  

February 01, 2021 09:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Yvone Mthembu
07:11 Feb 11, 2021

I loved the story but I didn't get the emotions that I expected after this long time apart.

Reply

Joane Unknown
10:00 Feb 11, 2021

Thank you for your feedback! Well, I will try to fix this problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.