WW2 - collab with skye | part one :)

Written in response to: Write a story that involves eavesdropping.... view prompt

79 comments

Historical Fiction Adventure

Featured/Mentioned:

Wolf Warrior as Mary Katz   https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/da0ccd/ 

I know only one person is featured, but that’s just because in the next part, they’ll be at school, and actually MEET people lol. And this sounds really average because it’s from two nine year old’s points of view. Trying to keep them young-especially Eliana.

Eliana

I tossed the ball up into the air happily, like nothing was happening in the world. I didn’t know about the war, or that I was a jew. I never thought that could be a bad thing either. I just thought the world was perfect. It’s what happens when you’re a naive, bubbly and innocent nine year old whose parents shield you from the planet.

“Eliana!” My mother called out from the apartment window, “Lunch!”

I frowned and threw the ball up one last time. Instead of catching it, it went the other direction and sailed over the neighbours fence. 

Uh oh...“C-Coming!” I dashed across the shared apartment field, to next door and knocked on their front door.

It creaked open and a boy with brown hair peeked out from behind it. He looked quite pale in the dim light of his house. I could hear shouting in the background but ignored it. 

  “Hello!” I smiled and the boy waved back timidly. “I accidentally threw my ball over your fence and was wondering if I could get it?”

The boy glanced behind him, as if he was looking for indication on what to do next. He looked back at me and nodded slightly.

“I’ll come with you,” he whispered. I nodded, and held out my hand.

“My name is Eliana!” I grinned. The boy shook it nervously and smiled back. He was pale, and had round blue eyes that darted around the room. He was lanky and was about a foot taller than me. I had an urge to stand on my tiptoes, but ignored it.

“I’m Karl,” He said. I clasped my hands together.

“Well, Karl, I can tell we’re going to be very good friends!” I ran off to grab my ball, waved goodbye to Karl, and walked back home.

“Eli, we’re going to go and meet some of the other people in the apartment tomorrow. Try to make some friends.” Mama smiled. Her red hair was tied up in a messy bun, like it always is when we pack or unpack. Papa had a job where we had to move a lot, but this was the last time we moved, because he quit that job and got a new one. We’re in France now. 

“But, mama, I already made a friend!” I kicked my feet excitedly. I was a happy kid, chatty, and never stopped talking. Mama and papa always said I could talk with a mouthful of marbles. I agreed, because I knew it was true.

Papa paled the tiniest bit, “Really?” I didn’t notice the slight panic in his voice as he said the word. Mama squeezed his hand under the dining table.

“Yep! His name is Karl, and he lives in the house next door.” I pointed out the window to the two story french house. 

“Oh. Did you meet his parents?” Papa asked.

“No, I just threw my ball over his fence in the apartment backyard. He just took me there.” I placed my fork on the plate.

Mama and papa exchanged a nervous glance. Mama cleared the plates, while papa grabbed the remote and turned on the tv. A man with a tiny moustache was on the screen, and a giggle slipped out of my mouth. Mama lifted me off the couch and kissed my forehead.

“Do you want to go upstairs and read for a bit?” Mama asked. I nodded as she set me down onto the ground, and my feet pattered against the wooden flooring.

“I’ll come up soon!” She called.

Karl

Mother asked me about my day as I gingerly sat down in my chair. “Um… I played some soccer at school with Arthur and then…” I paused to think about what else happened. 

“You know how we have those new neighbours that moved in a couple of weeks ago?” Mother beckoned me to continue. 

“There is a girl who I think lives there. She kicked her ball into the yard and I had to get it for her.” Mother smiled and replied “Maybe you two can become friends. You should go over tomorrow and ask if she wants to play outside.”

 I grumbled and picked up my utensils to cut the steak we were having for dinner. The front door opened just then and I immediately sat up straighter in my chair. Heavy thumping rang throughout the house and mother stood up to greet him. 

Father looked tired so I remained quiet. He doesn't have a very long temper. Mother kissed him on the cheek and they began to whisper between each other. Mother glanced at me.

“Sweetie, go finish your dinner upstairs. Once you’re done, leave the plate on your nightstand and try to practise your piano for fifteen minutes. Then go to sleep.” 

Trying to hide my disappointment, I picked up the plate and tiptoed upstairs. I didn't feel like eating much more, so I quickly shoved some carrots into my mouth and did as mother said. Stretching out my fingers and placing them on the keys and opening up the thin book, i began to play.

Blinking sleepily, I climbed out of bed. Soft sunlight filtered through my curtains. I quickly changed into a polo shirt and some trousers, and I shuffled to the bathroom to brush my teeth. Stumbling down the stairs, I thought about what I would do today. Maybe I could pull out some of the weeds, plant some flowers… 

“Morning sleepyhead.” I yawned as mother came over and tousled my hair. “Gosh, your hair is a mess! You should really brush it sometimes.. Well, there’s breakfast for you right here.” 

She gestured to the countertop, where a plate of scrambled eggs was waiting for me. As I dug into the food, mother began to list what she was going to do today. 

“I have to go to the market later, clean the house.. And for you mister-” I raised an eyebrow. “You have to feed the cat and bring some of those muffins to that girl and her family.” 

I began to groan, but I shrank back into my chair as I saw the stern eye mother had given me. “What did you say her name was?” I forgot her name. 

“Uh… Something like Elly? I remember it started with an E.” Mother rolled her eyes as she handed me a paper bag. I began to protest, but she ushered me out of the house.

Eliana

I heard a knock on our apartment door, and I walked over to it. I placed my hand on the doorknob and remembered what Mama and papa said. “Who is it?” 

“It’s Karl,” He sighed. I grinned and flung the door open. Standing there was Karl, holding a paper bag out to me. 

“My mother said to give you these.” He looked at me, quite obviously bored. I took the bag and peeked inside. Muffins! I reached inside and took a bite. They were still warm and melted in my mouth.

“These are dewisious!” I exclaimed, my mouth full of muffin. I ran over to the kitchen and put them on the counter. Mama glanced at me suspiciously.

“What’s this?” She asked curiously, craning her neck to look at the door. Her eyes widened when she saw Karl. “Is this the boy you met?” I nodded happily

“Can he come in?” Mama beckoned for Karl to come in, and he slowly set one foot on the ground, as if he thought it would break under him. I ran over to him and he smiled softly, like my chattiness humored him.

“Good morning, Karl!” Mama greeted him cordially. Karl shook mama’s hand and looked back at me awkwardly. He scanned the room and his gaze landed on my battered soccer ball. 

“Do you play?” He asked, motioning to it.

“Yes! We should go play!” I grabbed the ball and showed him the way to the apartment backyard, chattering the whole entire way.

“Did I just win?” I asked jokingly, kicking the ball around the yard. Karl rolled his eyes and kicked the ball away from me, and into our goal.

“No, because that was one point more than you,” he said. I think he’s warming up to me, but he was still quite shy either way. He kicked the ball around timidly.

“You’re really good,” I complimented him. I looked over the fence and noticed someone wearing a red band around their arm.

“What’s that mean?” I pointed at the man’s arm and Karl followed my finger, paling at the sight of the symbol. He cringed when a man came out of his house and waved to the other person.

“I-I don’t know,” He said quietly. I looked at his face, which was slowly regaining colour. I had a feeling he was lying, but shooed it away. 

“Can we go inside? Mama might have some drinks for us!” I exclaimed.

We were halfway up the stairs to our apartment, when a girl-about eleven years old-bumped into us. She had pretty blonde hair and tanned skin dotted with freckles. 

She mumbled something along the lines of an apology and went to keep walking, but I stopped her. “Hi! I’m Eliana, and this is Karl.” I smiled.

“Hi,” She said even quieter than Karl, who greeted her slowly. “I’m… Mary. Mary Katz.” She whispered. She twisted the end of her braid nervously.

“Nice to meet you, Mary! Would you like some lemonade?” I asked, Karl nudging me, indicating that I should be quiet. But I stayed put, making sure this girl felt welcome.

“No thank you.” Mary smiled softly. 

“Alright, but you’re missing out!” I skipped up the stairs, leaving Mary there.

Karl

I didn’t really like lemonade that much. Eliana was forcing me to drink something. I have to say though, this one was better than most lemonade I’ve had. It was sweet, not bitter. 

“Um… Eliana?” She nodded. “What’s your.. Um… Last name?” 

She giggled and answered. “It’s Efron. You stutter a lot, don’t you?” I looked away in embarrassment. 

She burst out laughing, and I gazed up at the grandfather clock from across the room to hide my face. Analyzing the clock, my hand flew to my mouth as I realised what time it was. 

“Oh no… I um.. I have to go.” Eliana gave me a surprised look. “You’re leaving already? Why? Oh, at least stay to finish your drink!” 

I gave her an apologetic look and replied “I had to feed Bo at least thirty-seven minutes ago… I would love to stay but I’m very sorry. I promise I’ll make it up to you.” 

Eliana’s mother nodded at her from the kitchen and she let out a sigh. A wave of guilt crashed over me and I quickly spoke. “Tomorrow at school, meet me on the...the field. And we can play um... Soccer.” Eliana grinned and waved goodbye. 

“Thank you for having me Mrs. Efron. See you tomorrow.” 

Of course rushing down stairs is not a good idea. I wasn't even halfway down the first flight before I found myself lurching forward onto the landing of an apartment block. Wincing, I looked up. The same girl from a while ago sat there, with two needles in her hands and some yarn. She was knitting something. Hearing the crashing, she looked up warily. She took one glimpse of me and it looked as if she was almost trying to stifle a laugh. She was about to stand up, but I stopped her and quickly brushed myself off.

Narrowing my eyes, I swiftly limped over to the stairs and stepped out of sight. 

When I opened the front door, Bo greeted me with a head butt against my calf and a soft mew. Head scratches were carried out as I made my way over to her feeding corner.

Eliana

I threw my dress over my head and wriggled through the hole. It was a ruffly purple dress-my favourite one. I swished the bottom of it and smiled. I always felt like a princess when I wore this dress.

“Mama?” I called. There was no reply. I slipped on my flats and walked down the hallway. Mama and papa were arguing. 

My eyes widened, as I had never seen them fight before. I hid behind the wall, and started to listen in.

“I don’t want to worry her!” Mama shouted, her hands in her hair. Papa stood up, and my chin wobbled.

“I know, April! But we can’t pretend that nothing’s happening!” Papa collapsed back into his chair. He grabbed the newspaper and pointed at the headline. “He’s taking over!” I couldn’t read what it said, but it just made mama angrier.

“Zac, I don’t think-” Mama sighed. “Just, leave it for now. She’s probably listening to us.” They both looked at the doorway to my room.

“Alright. But, April, we can’t shield her from this forever.” Papa raised an eyebrow as mama nodded.

“Fine.” She said hesitantly. Mama stood up and kissed papa on the cheek. She reached down to grab her shoes, and slipped them on, just like papa.

“Eliana! We’re going!” I jumped out of my own thoughts, as my feet patted the ground softly in my flats. We all walked to the door and got ready to go see the Katz’s.

“Good evening!” Mrs Katz flung the door open and hugged my mother tightly, as if they’d known each other for years. Mr Katz shook my father’s hand and shook mine as well. 

Mary stood behind them, and I waved happily. She smiled, and beckoned me to come closer. “Hi! What do you want to do?” I asked. 

Mary twiddled her thumbs, “I have a dollhouse upstairs...We could play with that!” I squealed, and took her hand and ran to her room.

“I will save you!” I said in a deep voice, mimicking the prince I was playing with. Mary raised her princess so she could see out her tower. 

“Oh my! It’s a big dragon! I’m so scared!” She said, her voice high-pitched. I grabbed the wooden dragon and lifted it into the air. Mary giggled as she made her doll run around in circles. I set the prince down, and gave Mary a hug.

“Your dollhouse is so much fun!” I exclaimed. Mary grinned, and twirled her blonde hair shyly. She’s kind of like Karl; you just have to know her a bit more for her to be less shy.

“What school do you go to? The one down the street?” Mary nodded, and I clapped my hands excitedly.

“Me too! And Karl. We can all be friends!” I thought about Karl, and wondered what he was doing right now. Eating? Maybe....He said he played piano. I think he’s playing piano.

“K-Karl? The boy in the house next door?” Mary stuttered anxiously, and I nodded.

“Yeah! Why?” I asked. Mary paled, and she shook her head. I thought it was gonna fall off because she was shaking it so much.

“He’s german!” Mary shouted. I heard footsteps coming up the hallway.

“And why is that bad?” I asked innocently.

“Germans are bad for jews. Are you jewish?” Mr Katz burst into the room, and rushed over to a pale Mary. He whispered something in her ear, and she walked out of the room

“You’ll have to excuse Mary,” Mr Katz said apologetically. “She can sometimes get....Out of hand.” He picked me up, and took me to my parents.

When we got home, mama put me straight to bed, and then they started to whisper about the Katzs’. I only heard some things about giving them a bit of money, and how Mary could tell me something. 

As I drifted off to sleep, a nagging feeling told me that Mary could be right about Karl. But I refused to believe it, as he was my best friend. 

Author 2 note (Anj)

ITS MY BIRTHDAY WOOOOOOOOOOO (10th of November)

Finally finished the first part lol

November 10, 2021 05:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

79 comments

TJ Squared
04:00 Nov 12, 2021

Ooooo very cool backstory! It sure seems like a stage is being set! I’m looking forward to the next part :D

Reply

Kewlkat 💗
20:01 Nov 16, 2021

glad you like it :D

Reply

TJ Squared
20:27 Nov 16, 2021

:DDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Creed .
16:07 Nov 11, 2021

Hey, I filled the form. I really liked this story, too. It gave a good perspective on both sides of the war and the friendship between Eliana and Karl. (What's with the zac efron thing? Lol) Also, Happy birthday!

Reply

Kewlkat 💗
20:04 Nov 11, 2021

thank you for filling out the form, I'm glad you liked the story :D lmao skye purposely put in zac efron xD

Reply

Creed .
15:03 Nov 12, 2021

You're welcome! LOL!!

Reply

Unknown User
19:39 Nov 20, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
03:02 Jul 20, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
22:38 Jul 19, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
22:37 Jul 19, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
22:37 Jul 19, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
22:37 Jul 19, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Kewlkat 💗
05:59 Jul 20, 2022

WTF LMAOOOO yasss gay besties 4 lifers DEMIGORLGONS >:D ACE SPECTRUM TWINSIEIS questioning is actually so just sjisjfjfjdskal it is a very unique experience

Reply

Unknown User
07:33 Jul 20, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
04:53 Jun 22, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Kewlkat 💗
07:13 Jun 22, 2022

sksk… OFCCC anything for u bestie ^-^ who sent the dare lmao xD

Reply

Unknown User
08:26 Jun 22, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Crows_ Garden
22:28 Apr 04, 2022

This story is so cute. I feel bad for the future- I just finished my WW2 unit in Honors... Poor Eliana..

Reply

Kewlkat 💗
11:01 Apr 13, 2022

thank you! :) im afraid this story will not have a future haha, sienna does not live near me anymore so it is harder to have contact lol im glad u like it tho!

Reply

Crows_ Garden
12:40 Apr 13, 2022

Of course. Oh- that males sense. I think you could contact them through Remind if you want though. Yeah! It's an awesome story : )

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
23:05 Apr 18, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Crows_ Garden
01:25 Apr 19, 2022

I was o w o Probably- I don't remember No, you're not

Reply

Unknown User
01:44 Apr 19, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Crows_ Garden
01:54 Apr 19, 2022

<3 No.

Reply

Unknown User
06:01 Apr 19, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Unknown User
21:31 Jan 09, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Unknown User
19:39 Apr 02, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Kewlkat 💗
21:07 Apr 03, 2022

oh my gaursh i just realised i never saw thissssssss

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kewlkat 💗
21:08 Apr 03, 2022

kitties are good but zuko is very naughty and he keeps waking me up at 3 in the morning :3

Reply

Unknown User
23:01 Apr 03, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Victor .
01:36 Dec 01, 2021

Hello Anjali, Sienna said you were friends and that we have some similar interests, such as drawing and Dream SMP, and that maybe we could be friends.

Reply

Kewlkat 💗
09:33 Dec 03, 2021

ofcc :D have you seen the lore thats been going on?! its so chaotic and sad and crazy at the same time :0

Reply

Unknown User
22:11 Dec 03, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Kewlkat 💗
22:58 Dec 03, 2021

aww :( they seemed like a nice person. im sure it was for the best RANBOO WAS LIKE HAPPY ABOUT DIEING?! AND I HATE C!PURPLE XKJDXJDJN and i feel so bad for c!sapnap too like everything is going wrong for him :(( dreams escaped prison and omggg ITS CRAZY

Reply

Unknown User
23:11 Dec 03, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Kewlkat 💗
01:20 Dec 04, 2021

sapnap needs TLC and attention smh NOBODY DARES TO TOUCH MICHEAL >:( c!george i hate u too and i love u c!eret AND SAM dont even get me started KJHDJNJL I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW THERE ARE APOLOGITST FOR HIM LIKEWHAT

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
05:06 Sep 09, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
07:02 Aug 17, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
20:45 Jun 23, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
01:51 Jun 21, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Kewlkat 💗
07:08 Jun 21, 2022

ILYSM SKSK i am going to see uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu AND KODA MWAHAHAHAH im going to steal him SO ECXCITEDSIOHDFHOAISHUISUDO

Reply

Unknown User
19:41 Jun 21, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
06:48 Jun 08, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Kewlkat 💗
09:31 Jun 09, 2022

IM SORRYYYYY ;c i commented on ur post and u never replied to meeee im going to try start writing again mwahahah guess what im going to the hospital tmrw for my plastic surgery :3 jk

Reply

Unknown User
19:22 Jun 09, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
00:27 Apr 01, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
04:26 Feb 17, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
04:25 Feb 17, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Unknown User
00:34 Apr 01, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.