103 comments

American Romance Contemporary

Is that it? 

Silver Toyota Land Cruiser. Ubers are almost impossible to spot until they nearly drive up on you.

Virginia grabs her luggage and double checks the Uber app on her iPhone for the driver’s name. Lee. She dutifully takes note of the license plate to compare before entering the vehicle. She isn't going to make that mistake again.

“Who are you here to pick up?” she asks the middle aged driver wearing an Orioles shirt, who neither turns around to greet her nor asks to help with her luggage. Does he want a two-star rating?

“Ginny,” he responds crisply. “You Ginny?”

“Yep,” she replies. Maybe a one-star rating, the way this is going.

“Back from a trip?” he finally tries to be hospitable, looking at her in the rearview mirror. 

“Yep,” she repeats, hoping the conversation has come to a close. She glances at his dark brown eyes staring back at her. “I was visiting my son at college. He goes to Florida State.” 

“You’re kidding me,” Lee says. “My daughter goes to Florida State. She’s a sophomore—go Noles!”

“My son is a junior,” she states flatly, looking out the window. “He’s changed his major three times already and will probably graduate in 2030.” Ginny sighs. “We have amazing in-state schools, and he decides on Florida—Florida of all places!”

“Costing me a—”

“Fortune,” she finishes his sentiment. “It’s why I’m back on the road. Back to sales. Ugh, I thought I was done with all this—”

“Hassle?” he suggests.

“Hassle is right. I should be behind a desk, not out hustling. I’m too old for this—”

“Hassle,” he finishes her thought. “Don’t I know it? Before the divorce, we had my daughter’s college fund all fat and happy. Until my thin and unhappy wife decided she was better off without the both of us. What kind of—”

“Arrogant, self-absorbed, midlife crisis cliché jettisons their entire family to chase their dreams or really, some younger piece of tail?” Ginny’s caustic bitterness practically fogs up the car windows.

Stunned into silence, Lee remains quiet. He gingerly takes a right turn, briefly looking up at her again in the rearview mirror. She’s pretty, even looking utterly disgusted with mankind as a whole.

“Sorry,” she eventually apologizes. “It’s been a long day.”

“S’okay,” Lee says. “After the divorce, I had to pick up this gig in addition to my day job to pay my lawyer for doing almost nothing, except giving my house and dog away. The rest of my money I send to Tallahassee so my daughter can earn C’s in her communication classes while downing jello shots at her sorority house.”

“Well, thanks to my divorce, I now have the privilege of paying alimony to my spouse who can no longer work because of his post traumatic stress disorder. It seems my asking for a divorce due to his blatant infidelity caused him too much anxiety to deal with, you know, life stuff. Like paying bills. So . . .” Ginny trails off.

“So? Sew buttons, my mom always said,” Lee replies.

“Sew buttons, indeed.” 

“Look Ginny, listen. I hate to do this,” Lee apologizes, looking at his iPhone. “But I got an Uber Eats delivery. They’re running a special tonight. 25% off food and a bonus for drivers. Been crazy. I hate to ask, but it’s a big order near your house. Any chance we could stop? I’ll be in and out in no time. You say the word, though. I’ll take you right home.” Big dark brown eyes. Hard to say no to. 

“Lee, I get it. I have nothing at home waiting for me but an incontinent cat,” Ginny replies, rubbing her temples. “I get it. Go ahead and stop. Florida State’s tuition is due in two weeks . . .”

“When did college get so expensive?” Lee asks, parking right in front of a restaurant, blocking the crosswalk, smack in the middle of the fire lane. 

“Up 1200% since we went to school,” Ginny mutters. “Hey Lee, you aren’t one for keeping all the rules, are you?” She motions to his parking job. 

“I kept all the rules until I realized no one else did.” He smiles, a Cheshire cat grin. She can’t help but smile back. 

Lee disappears into the restaurant. Ginny looks around the car. Pristine condition. Pina colada air freshener. St. Christopher medal on the dash. Breath mints in the utility tray. She helps herself to one, tucking her hair behind her ear. She watches the front door while applying a light colored lip gloss, fumbling it back into her purse when he suddenly appears. He’s carrying several silver tin foil trays, a couple of additional bags of restaurant fare looped around his arm. 

Ginny gets out of the car and opens the passenger side. 

“Maybe put it in the back on the floor?” she advises. 

“Good idea,” he says, grateful for her carefully arranging the trays to avoid spillage. “You’re good at this, you know.”

“This ain’t my first rodeo,” she grins, lightening his load. “I worked in catering in college.” 

“I was a bartender. A pretty good one, too. I could throw bottles around like Tom Cruise in Cocktail,” he brags. 

“You are dating yourself with that movie reference,” she warns.

“If I could date myself, that would solve a lot of problems.” 

Now sitting next to him, Ginny watches Lee throw the car in reverse, making a seamless three-point turn. She shouldn’t be impressed, but his driving skills are flawless.

She flushes a bit. He’s quit talking as much. 

The aroma of the food wafts up to the front seat. 

“I’m starving,” she says. 

“Me too.”

They drive in silence to a large house in a better neighborhood than hers.

“You want help?” Ginny asks. 

“Sure,” replies Lee. “If you want. Hey, I could split the tip with you.” They work together getting the take out containers into each other’s arms, walking carefully to the front door. Though the house is dark, Lee rings the bell. 

No response.

“I don’t get it,” Lee says, putting the food down. He walks around the side, taps something into his iPhone, and returns. 

“Everything all right?” Ginny asks. 

“Hang on.” He taps on his iPhone again. “It’s a dead order,” he says, looking at her.

“What does that mean?” Ginny asks, tilting her head to the side. 

“It means this order is canceled. I’m supposed to dispose of the food and just continue on.” 

“Seems like a waste,” she comments, looking back at the car. “We could eat it at my place, since I believe I’m your next stop.”

“I’d like that,” Lee agrees. “I’d like that a lot.”

Lee’s iPhone chimes again. He looks down, smiling from ear to ear.

“It’s my daughter. She’s at one of those sorority formals tonight. See?” Lee holds up his iPhone for Ginny to see. Taking out her reading glasses from her purse, Ginny scrutinizes the picture before she starts to laugh—an unrestrained belly laugh.

“What? Yeah, I know those eyelashes are ridiculous. And don’t get me started on the dress. My mother would roll over in her grave. Probably come back to life and sew a few buttons on it before letting my daughter out of the house. But that’s the style,” Lee says, defensively.

“No, Lee—” Ginny snorts, attempting to control her laughter. “On her arm—”

“The corsage?”

“No, the young man—that’s my son!” All control aside, Ginny takes off her reading glasses and doubles over with laughter, tears streaming down her face. 

He begins to laugh with her, as they pack the food back into the silver Toyota Land Cruiser.

“This suddenly got complicated,” Lee grins, shaking his head.

Ginny wipes her eyes. “It’s not complicated, Lee. Life’s too serious to be taken seriously. Just take me home, and let’s eat.”

And with that, Ginny gave her driver a five-star rating. 


May 22, 2021 23:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

103 comments

13:57 May 24, 2021

in y.a. novels, when they finish each other's sentences, there's a dramatic pause. in yours, it's just the pause of 'wow, we're the most world-weary people that ever existed,' and i'm in love with it! the twist at the end was just *chef's kiss,* and the last line actually made me burst out laughing. lee's not the only one getting a five-star rating today! :D

Reply

16:48 May 24, 2021

An Uber love story. It’s past time for one.

Reply

17:19 May 24, 2021

plot twist: her son hired the uber driver to keep her from complaining all the time, and this was all staged-

Reply

17:23 May 24, 2021

It was supposed to be a hit for the insurance money. But even hired killers have a heart...and now Lee has her heart in the glove box 💀

Reply

17:27 May 24, 2021

deidra lovegren- hilarious comments, twenty-four hours a day.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ray _
17:10 Jun 01, 2021

Love this sm XD

Reply

17:16 Jun 01, 2021

It loves you right back :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Micheal Otto
17:44 May 30, 2021

Simple and interesting... I love

Reply

17:48 May 30, 2021

It loves you back ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A.D. Stark
17:29 May 30, 2021

I had a good laugh with the ending! Great content. Would you leave a comment on my story, please? https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/95/submissions/69755/

Reply

17:50 May 30, 2021

Sure 😀

Reply

Show 0 replies
A.D. Stark
17:53 May 30, 2021

Thank you very much <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
A.D. Stark
17:53 May 30, 2021

Thank you very much <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 5 replies
Rayhan Hidayat
09:34 May 27, 2021

Oh god, I’m college-age and this makes me hate my peers (and a bit of myself too). Couldnt help laughing with her at the end there. Deidra doesn’t disappoint!!

Reply

13:46 May 27, 2021

Don't hate your peers. We parents love sending you off to find and chase your dreams :) And whatever you are doing, we did 100x that. (The 1980's were a time of total debauchery.) Go have fun. Spend your parents money. Choose your own adventure. I highly recommend watching Aamir Khan's "Three Idiots" (essential viewing for every college student and their parents.)

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
18:57 May 27, 2021

Don't worry, I don't hate-hate college students, or myself, it's just that your characters are so fleshed out and engrossing that I can't help but side with them, you know? And yeah, I can't believe I haven't watched that yet, thanks for the reminder ;)

Reply

19:27 May 27, 2021

The Best Movie Ever I show it to my high school seniors every year. 🍿

Reply

Wirda Bibi
05:36 Jun 01, 2021

that movie is so full of comedy i have watched it :) i like the bond of friendship in it :)

Reply

16:35 Jun 01, 2021

Aamir Khan is one of my favorite actors. Love him :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Andrea Magee
09:49 Jul 19, 2021

5 stars for this story! Loved it.

Reply

14:09 Jul 19, 2021

Yay 😁 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Thanks for the read

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joan Wright
22:41 Jun 10, 2021

Great story!The banter between the characters was so important to the plot. Started out on a low and ended on a high. You maneuvered that well. Love the ending.

Reply

Show 0 replies
05:12 Jun 05, 2021

this is amazing! beautifully written <3

Reply

07:48 Jun 05, 2021

❤️ you back! Thanks for the kudos 😃

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ray _
17:11 Jun 01, 2021

I really liked this! I can't say I didn't expect the end, but it was still very nice and a great story!

Reply

17:16 Jun 01, 2021

The pickup was a hookup. The universe does like parallelism :)

Reply

Ray _
17:31 Jun 01, 2021

Indeed :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ray _
17:31 Jun 01, 2021

Indeed :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ray _
17:32 Jun 01, 2021

Indeed :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 4 replies
Show 1 reply
Wirda Bibi
05:38 Jun 01, 2021

*laughing at the end with Ginny and lee* you have written a very good and superb story :) keep it up and treat us more:)

Reply

16:34 Jun 01, 2021

I felt I was overdue for an Uber story :)

Reply

Wirda Bibi
04:04 Jun 02, 2021

no you wasn't :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wild Rose
08:24 May 31, 2021

This was so wonderful and creative! The plot was excellent and it was executed flawlessly! The language you used makes the readers feel comfortable. I personally loved this one and of course I am waiting for more!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Luke Morgan
13:05 May 29, 2021

I’m new to this site, and I’m trying to immerse myself into the community. This was a really enjoyable read, and I’m glad I started with this one! Nice dialogue, something I need to personally work on. Feels real. I’m excited for more!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Doubra Akika
10:20 May 29, 2021

D&D Such a beautiful Uber love story. The ending made me laugh. Love your twists. Always been a fan of yours. Keep the stories coming... each one's better than the last. Hope you're doing well.

Reply

14:40 May 29, 2021

D&D! So glad to see you on the board! I have to check out if you've written another wonderful thing. I've missed you so much :)

Reply

Doubra Akika
18:46 Jun 01, 2021

I've honestly missed you too and being on reedsy as well. Just had a lot going on. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some more writing done.

Reply

19:08 Jun 01, 2021

Tell me when you post! I hate missing any D&D.

Reply

Doubra Akika
13:04 Jun 03, 2021

Definitely! Let me know as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angelina Jeong
04:58 May 28, 2021

This is so well written!

Reply

14:41 May 29, 2021

Hoorah! Hopefully I'm improving week by week. Thanks for the kind comment :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:42 May 27, 2021

guess who just wrote about jax, if he was a fortune-teller-type weirdo? that's right, me. i'd love your opinion on it! :D

Reply

14:44 May 29, 2021

Ooooooooooooooooooooo Need to go read right now :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Esther :)
20:59 May 27, 2021

Sorry to disturb you but can you or anyone tell me what upvoting and downvoting is? I am really confused.

Reply

21:01 May 27, 2021

See the little triangles by your comment? People can agree or not. I’ve never downvoted...

Reply

Esther :)
21:03 May 27, 2021

Oh. So can take away points?!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Esther :)
21:05 May 27, 2021

Also wow. You were quick. :)

Reply

21:06 May 27, 2021

Yep. I always just upvote 😎

Reply

Esther :)
21:08 May 27, 2021

I really appreciate the fact that you follow your followers. Most people don't!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Julian Race
16:26 May 27, 2021

Thought you might like this https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/julian-race/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Writer Maniac
14:45 May 26, 2021

Hey! I have been following your stories for a while now, but haven't had the chance to comment till now. I absolutely loved the natural chemistry between Lee and Ginny, and the way they fell into the rhythm of an easy conversation seemed quite effortless. I fell in love with your relaxed storytelling. Not just with this story, but with all the other stories of yours I have read, I have admired the beauty of your simple words and the colours and characters you weave through them. I look forward as always to reading more from you.

Reply

14:48 May 26, 2021

Thanks, Writer Maniac! I kind of feel like a hack most days, but things work out on occasion. I'm going to drop over and see what you are doing. :) Have you read any of Kevin Broccoli's stuff? He's hilarious. Start with this one (he's addictive). It's the origin story of Wile E. Coyote. (I know, right?) He also does one with the 10 Commandments that makes me cry with laughter. https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/94/submissions/67697/

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:09 May 26, 2021

I'll be sure to check him out, he sounds like great fun :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Elk Whistler
14:28 May 26, 2021

This is such a nice story, as usual! I could feel Lee and Ginny just "clicking", and the ending was really fun. The sentence "Life's too serious to be taken seriously" was probably my favorite part. Great great job, Deidra! :D -Elena

Reply

14:41 May 26, 2021

Thanks Elena! Sometimes we just need to take a chance on people :) Go Ginny & Lee!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:26 May 26, 2021

i have payed (paid? payed? you're an english teacher, so you've probably seen things much more terrible than my grammar) homage to your three-streak of writing about your tribe. i wrote a magnificent, five-hundred-word story about an old woman attacking a superhero with her purse, and i copy-pasted it twice into the same story. oddly, it was approved... wrapping up my long, run-on sentence, it would mean a lot to me if you checked it out. thank you for tolerating my terrible grammar :D

Reply

14:40 May 26, 2021

You got it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zelmaré Verkes
11:34 May 26, 2021

My kind of story. I enjoyed that!

Reply

11:41 May 26, 2021

Always fun to write Uber stories :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.