0 comments

Fiction Fantasy

Annwyn was astir with excitement. The normal bruidhen, Otherworld palaces, were filled to capacity. The Otherworld was preparing for a visit by Arawn, himself. Arawn, the Sea God would be coming on his magical horses striding on the surface of the ocean and wearing his cloak of invisibility and accompanied by his magical pigs. He was coming from Snowdonia so his journey would not be long.  He should be arriving soon.

Selkies began arriving days ago so the beach was lined with seal skins. Those beautiful women who shed the skins were looking to marry a human male and this would be the place to find their future husbands with all the parties whose preparations were well under way. One of them could even be fortunate enough to marry Arawn himself since he was not married. Their talismans to regrow their seal skins were well hidden among their new skins of fancy dresses and adornments. 

Cernunnos, the horned man, was on duty to protect the animals and the forest creatures from being part of the dinner celebrations. He would also be guarding against Gwyn ap Nudd, leader of the wild hunt who would be creating chaos and evil while roaming the countryside seeking lone travelers for the opportunity to snatch their souls. Cernunnos and his forces including Arawn’s dogs of red and white or of speckled colors would be guarding against disruption of the festivities.

Otherworld is a happy place of peace and harmony. It is a place of no pain, sickness or aging. All would enjoy beautiful music and endless banquets of delight. All sorts of sports and good-natured athletic competitions would be offered as well. Fand, Be Lind, Fi Band, Naiv, Rhiannon and Epona were already ensconced in one of the palaces awaiting the arrival of Arawn. Perhaps they could meet Pwyll, Cu Chulainn, Bran, Finn or Conaire and lure them into further adventures in Otherworld. They were discussing which bird would most appeal to each hero. Which would each man prefer swans or songbirds with beautiful plumage and magical voices? 

The Mari-Morgans, water faeries, were already playing their harps beautifully while riding white, seafoam horses. Spriggan water sprites were playing their violins in tune with the harps but there were no women and children to lure into drowning themselves here. Ceffyl Dŵr water horses were gathering at the edge of Annwyn in hopes of seeing the magical horse bring the Sea God from Llyn Barfog in Snowdonia. 

Legend tell us the Carn March Arthur was called upon to vanquish an Afanc. Afanc is a water monster. It has features of a dwarf in the body of a giant beaver  and head of a crocodile it had been causing Llyn Barfog to flood and they were murdering people and animals out of malice. When the local people tired of the tirades, they begged Carn March Arthur to rid them of the troublesome beast. King Arthur then rode his mare named Llamrei up to the lake. He brought with him a strong, magical chain which he managed to drape over the head of the monster while it was lying asleep in the water. The Afanc woke suddenly and, feeling the chain around its neck, realized it was under attack and began to fight and struggle. King Arthur urged his horse forward, trying to pull the beast from the lake. As the monster struggled, his horse placed its foot on a rock and pushed so hard it left its imprint there. This rock is known as Carn March Arthur and is a petrosomatoglyph, 

Petrosomatoglyphs are rocks that have an image of some part of a human or animal imprinted upon them. They often have religious or cultural symbolism. Arthur and his horse then dragged the Afanc to a more remote lake called Llyn Cau on the mountain of Cader Idr.

Suddenly Cernunnos sounded the alarm. Arawn was in sight and would arrive within minutes. Selkies lined the path he would follow to the palaces. Mari-Morgans ceased playing their harps but Spriggan continued to paly their violins only changing to more appropriate tunes. Ceffyl Dŵr lined the edge of the water on both sides of the path in back of the Mari-Morgans only allowing room enough for Arawn’s horses and pigs to enter. Cernunnos ordered his dogs to be kenneled so as not to decide pig was on the menu. Sports and competitions ceased so participants could join the throng lining the path to the hostel. Fand, Be Lind, Fi Band, Naiv, Rhiannon and Epona all had decided to be songbirds and sat in the trees along the path with their magnificent plumage singing their magical songs as Arawn passed by.  Pwyll, Bran, Finn and Conaire rushed to join those ready to greet the Sea God they all loved.

Shouts rang out from all in the crowd. “Good Arawn, thank you for blessing us with your presence. Oh mighty Sea God, we welcome you to our humble buffet. Please alight from your steed and join us in our festivities.”

The magic cloak was all that could be seen as the figure dismounted from his horse. Strangely no one saw the magical pigs either. Everyone was too excited to notice either the visibility of the cloak or the lack of the pigs as they guided Arawn to the main table set just for him in the shade of the largest tree in the Otherworld. The table was resplendent with the finest china, silver tableware and glassware fit for only their King.  Selkies soon almost tripped over each other while trying to serve the table with the tastiest of food prepared to perfection and in china bowls edged with pure gold. Soon the table all but groaned at the weight of all the food. 

Mari-Morgans and Spriggans assembled at the water’s edge to play beautiful music together. The sea foam horses were used to the weight of the harps so they rose majestically above the Spriggans who were dancing as they played their violins. The music was airy and joyful with notes never heard before. 

Festivities lasted for days with no one ever seeing the face of the Sea God. He even slept in his cloak each night.  By the second day, Cernunnos was starting to get suspicious that the cloak was never taken off. Then he remembered there should be magical pigs with Arawn. He released his dogs before he called his forces for a clandestine meeting early on the morning of the third day. He spoke of his misgivings only to hear them echoed by most of his men. If this were truly Arawn, why did he never take off his cloak? Where were the magical pigs that would add much entertainment to the festivities? Many plans to reveal the identity of this being were discussed.  Cernunnos finally called for silence. “We will add a sleeping potion to his wine and wait until he goes to bed tonight. When we are sure he is in a deep sleep, two of us will pull down the cloak so we can see his identity. If it is Arawn, we will  replace the cloak. If it is not, we will take the cloak all the way off and kill the imposter. Then we will send messages to all in the Otherworld revealing this impersonation and asking where our Sea God really is. “

That day all went as planned and when they pulled down the cloak it revealed a Gwragedd Annwn. They quickly cut its throat and wrapped the body in an old rug. Two of the helpers carried it out and threw the rug into the refuse pile to be burned that night. Cernunnos sent messengers to all in the Otherworld that Arawn was missing and had never arrived at their palaces. They had found his cloak and horses but not him nor his pigs. That night all danced around the bon fire as was customary never knowing everything that was burning.

Within days, Arawn did come to them and thanked them for finding his cloak and horses. He had been preparing his trip to visit them when he was drugged and he did not awake for a couple of days. All he had left were his pigs but without the horses and cloak he could not travel. 

Now the festivities began again. This time Arawn was without his cloak but with his pigs and his horses waited in the stables. The frivolity was twofold now. Not only was their Sea God with them but the secret of the impersonation by a Gwragedd Annwn was never revealed so the rest of Gwragedd Annwn could never take revenge for the slaying of one of their kind since only Cernunnos and his men knew the truth and they certainly were not talking.

March 05, 2021 22:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.