0 comments

Gay Science Fiction Funny

"We're running out of time!"

Fifty-seven seconds left.

"Of course, we're running out of time. You always seem to be running out of time when you try and stop a bomb it’s stomping a Bomb 101." Paul kept up with Calvin as they jumped to the sub-level floor. "Remember, pull the wires from their ports. Blue, yellow, purple, then green in that order."

Calvin mumbled to himself as they landed on the floor. "Fifth door on the left. About thirty seconds left."

Thirty-six seconds left.

The corridor seemed endless by the time they reached the door. They entered the room to find a woman standing over a crate. A large metallic cylindrical device was inside giving off a small hum. A compartment was propped open showing various wires inside. 

Twenty-nine seconds left.

"Blue, yellow, purple, then green Marian," yelled Paul.

"Blue, yellow, gre-purple then green," yelled Calvin. "What Paulie said."

Mariam turned to the crate reaching inside the devices opening and pulled the wires in Paul’s order. The humming stopped. The devices cover showed a flashing blue screen. A timer showed twenty-two seconds. Mariam turned back to the two men. Both of them breathing heavily. 

"I'm not sure how you two knew about this bomb," said Miriam. The humming started again. Calvin looked around. It wasn’t coming from the device. "Detective Todd swore there was one in City Hall. Calvin?” Miriam walked towards him. “What's wron-"

One second left.

Calvin opened his eyes. He was in his kitchen. Again? The eggs were beginning to burn. A hand grabbed his wrist, spatula in hand. Paul moved in behind pressing himself against Calvin. Calvin dropped the spatula and looked to Paul.

"Careful mister clumsy," said Paul. "You're making a mess."

"I need you to listen carefully." Calvin took a deep breath as he held Paul's shoulders. "Someone took your research and made some kind of time bomb," Calvin turned turning off the stove and moved the frying pan, "we need to get dressed. I need to call Mariam." 

Paul laughed as he backed away. Calvin recognized that nervous laughter instantly. 

"Wow, someone's been reading a little too much science fiction," Paul backed away. He looked as though he wanted to take the pan of eggs and swipe it across Calvin's face. "Wait, have you been reading my stasis notes? I have personal information for work that are consider-"

"That are considered top secret and can get you a permanent removal from your stasis project. Worse, they can have you fired and blacklisted." Calvin looked to the floor. His tone unwavering. "You've said that every time I do this. Worst part, it’s the fastest route."

"What the hell are you talking about," said Calvin

"What the hell are you talking about?" Paul asked. The hairs on his neck shot up as he began to fill a chill. Lights flashed as thunder cracked the sky. Perfect timing?

"Sometimes we get into an argument, and most times you just walk out the room. Recently when I explain personal details about your special project then that's when you start to actually listen."

Paul stared at Calvin. Sweat upon his forehead. His stomach began to feel uneasy. What followed was Calvin's poorly explanation of Paul's research in creating a stasis field, that someone tried to replicate his work and how a cylindrical device kept sending Calvin back to this very morning. 

Paul looked perplexed.

"Are you sure you're not an undercover spy trying to steal my secrets?" Paul stepped towards Calvin hugging him.  Please be a spy, please be a spy. Repeated in his head as he reminded himself to call a therapist later. "So…so you're in a time loop?" Paul closed his eyes. I’m really doing this.

"No, I'm not crazy, yes I still love, I wish I was an undercover spy, and I will not see a therapist until I know I'm no longer in this loop," Calvin went to the bedroom getting dressed. He yelled to Paul to put clothes on and follow.

Calvin explained they had until 2:17 this afternoon until he would wind up back in the kitchen. The device would be located at an abandoned building near the research facility. Before Calvin was looped back to the kitchen Mariam had mentioned a device in City Hall. They reached Paul's truck. Clouds darkened the sky as the thunder echoed in the distance. They headed to Paul’s office. It would take most of the afternoon to arrive, but it seemed Calvin knew what actions to take to not waste time.

"We only have one device in the making," said Paul. "It’s not ready for testing." 

"When you receive a call from work tell them you've been notified of the situation and already contacted the police," said Calvin.

"What are you going to do?"

Calvin pulled out his phone. "I'm calling the police. To be more specific I'm calling Mariam. She needs to notify Detective Todd about a…threat at City Hall. I want to avoid bonb threat as much as possible. If I restart though…"

"Restart? Second device?"

"Yeah, I didn't know there was a second one-"

Paul swerved, nearly missing an oncoming vehicle. In their lane. 

"Stay focused," said Calvin. "I don't want to be in another car accident."

Paul nodded, afraid if Calvin was right that he caused a car accident. He looked at the road ahead. "Sweetie, we only had the one device."

Calvin looked up waiting for Mariam to answer the phone. "Apparently theirs two."

Paul knew of multiple designs for their final choice. The team had agreed on something simple for the first test run. They had no plans for a second device, it wasn’t in their budget.

Calvin took all the information in. How could I not have asked about other devices?

Paul wanted answers. He only had question after question that would never be answered. How was Calvin only being affected by this? Timing? Coincidence? Solar flares? This shouldn't be possible. This wasn't supposed to be possible. Yet here he was with his partner. Driving to his research facility to see what stasis blueprints were likely taken. 

"Frisbee golf," said Calvin.

Paul looked to Calvin. “Did you just say frisbee golf?"

"Yes, Miriam it's an emergency." Calvin looked at his watch.

"What? Is it time yet?" Paul leaned in closer to Calvin.

"Car!"

Paul swerved returning to his lane. The roads became slick as the rain began to fall.

"Yes, I'm fine…tell them it's a bomb threat at City Hall…tell Detective Todd he was right about the location…this is not a joke, it's why I told Paul I needed your complete trust…he's driving…I will tell him…yes, and thank you Mariam." Calvin hanged up the phone and relaxed in the car. 

Calvin was exhausted. The same fear and nerves slowly began to creep inside his head. He always felt as though he was one step closer, but with every new information it seemed as though he was taking a step back. He knew where the first device was located. One problem off the table. It did take longer to find the device than he realized.

“How did I not know about the second device,” whispered Calvin.

"Have you ever given up?" Paul glanced to his boyfriend. The question was heavy.

Calvin stared out the window. Rain hit against windshield. Every time you ask the question I want to say yes. There are times when I wait until you ask. I love reliving that moment. I’m just afraid that I may never leave…whatever this is. If I learned one thing from video games, movies, and those stupid science fiction books there’s been one thing that has been constant. Time-travel sucks. It can never truly be fixed. Calvin turned to Paul and smiled. “No, I never give up.”   

It was past noon when they arrived at Paul's research building. Calvin jumped out the car before Paul passed the entrance. Calvin went straight to the side door before Paul could yell from behind. 

They ran up the stairwell to the second floor. Heading through the door into a busy hallway. People ran in and out of doors. Most of them yelling at each other, some were talking to themselves, while others seemed lost. Panic. Pure chaos. Calvin moved through the area with ease. 

Paul followed Calvin into the unknown hell before him. Coworkers tossing office supplies, computers, and chairs across the entire area. He saw Calvin dodge everything. Jumping over people who fell and timing his movements perfectly avoiding everything. 

They entered Paul's office. It was a complete mess. Paul looked as though he could pass out. It should have surprised him, as Calvin was already grabbing every blueprint in the room and placed them on the desk. 

"Is this all of-" Calvin’s phone rang.

"Jumping cat biscuits," yelled Paul. "The day is so messed up I can't even handle a simple ringtone," whispered Paul. He stepped up to the table looking over the designs. 

Calvin squinted at his partner. "Strange," he whispered. "Yes Mariam I’m still here…you did? Can you tell me its exact location?" 

Paul looked over the prints checking each one. There was a problem. 

"Can you describe it?" Calvin looked at the layouts with Paul. He had no clue what he was trying to find. 

"There's one missing," said Paul. 

Calvin looked up. "A missing blueprint? That information’s new for me." 

"Ok," said Paul, "the main blueprint for the device you described would be in the development room. I have the remaining six layouts, and I'm only seeing five." 

"Is it a dododick-hydron? Has a lot of sides?"

"Yes, it looks like dodecahedron. It has similarities to the cylindrical device, on the inside anyway. The color order you gave Mariam should be fine. We’re scientist, not terrorist. We put fail safes in everything. What about the first device? Should we shut it down?"

"No, I'll plan for another run. I'm just tired and hoping I’ll wake up." Calvin looked at his watch. 2:15pm. 

"So now what? Just wait around and do nothing?" Paul sat on his desk looking at Calvin. The noise in the hallway seemed to calm. 

"The first device is at your testing area." Calvin leaned forward placing his head in Paul's lap. “It’ll take to long to get there. I’ll get to it next time.” He closed his eyes. “You always follow me in the end."

           Paul smiled at Calvin, he was exhausted. I waste to much of his time, thought Paul.

Beep.

Calvin looked at his watch. "We're running out of time."

Fifty-seven seconds left.

Paul scratched Calvin's head. The world seemed to be falling apart and his boyfriend was going to have to repeat this day all over again.

Forty-two seconds left. 

Paul lowered his head to Calvin's ear. "Curry’s paradox." 

Calvin looked up. The second look that showed actual confusion. "Curry’s Paradox?"

Paul looked around. "What was with that look? When I jumped at your ringtone?"

Calvin sat up. "When the phone rang the first few times, I began to realize it was the one thing you never repeated. Same reaction, sometimes the same words, but never in the same order."

Twenty-three seconds left. 

Calvin held Paul's hand as he moved closer. "Curry paradox?" 

Paul kissed Calvin before answering. "If what you say is true, then it must be true."

Nine seconds left.

"I don't get it," said Calvin. 

"Just say 'Curry’s Paradox' when you see me," said Paul. "I'll know what to do."

They held one another close.

"I love you."

"I love you.

One second left.

Calvin opened his eyes. The eggs were beginning to burn. Paul's hand grabbed his wrist. Spatula in hand. Calvin dropped the spatula and grabbed Paul's shoulders. 

"Careful mister clumsy. You're making-"

"Curry's Paradox."

For an instant Paul's body tensed. Everything in the room seemed to be on standby. The only sound were the burning eggs. 

Paul smiled. "Tell me what's happening."

Calvin grabbed Paul's hand pulling him into the bedroom. "On the way. We're running out of time."

July 14, 2022 18:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.