The Locked Door

Written in response to: Write a story titled ‘The Locked Door.’... view prompt

120 comments

Horror Sad Thriller

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Creaking slowly in the middle of the night was mom's door to her old bedroom. In the year 2021; she died on her closet floor, leaving no clues leading up to her death. Thus, investigators assumed it was a suicide. Every night mom's door opens, but I'm used to it by now... I feel like it's just for me, as if I'm supposed to go in when she unlocks the door. At night I hear her whisper, yet I can't make it out because it sounds scratchy, like when you are on the phone and the service is bad.

I don't sleep at night because I wait for mom to open the door. I go in and sit where she died. No one knows this because no one believes that mom is still around. They don't believe me. No, they call me mental and desperate. When I go beyond the locked door; her words are clear, and I can even feel my mom's loving embrace. We sit together and talk, my life feels normal again... but just as we are enjoying each other's company; the glee I feel takes a nightmarish turn as her eyes turn black as I watch her bleed out.


I then wake up in my bed as if nothing has happened, but it does not feel like a dream, and I know it can't be.

I cannot open the door during the day because it is locked, and I don't want to bust it down because that would defile my mother's place of demise. I don't know how the door got locked. I have an older sister named Madison. I've asked her about the mysterious door before, but she doesn't know either. She moved in with her boyfriend back in 2019. Just a year afterwards, Dad and mom divorced, so it was just mom and I at home.


However, I'm 18 now and all alone with mom who I only see at night. I wish I could be with her during the day too, but the locked door. I can often hear her during the day, but not everything I can make out. When I can understand what is being said, it is not always good. I have heard things such as, "Kill her like you did me", but who is "her", and I didn't kill anyone at least I think I didn't? The worry and confusion deepen but I cannot leave my mother behind.

I told my best friend Grace about everything that has been happening and without a pause she declared, "You need to talk to someone about all of this paranormal stuff immediately!". I agreed so she found me a therapist, her name was Randy Lindsey Stine. She told me I have hallucinations and memory loss. Hallucinations are when you see something from your head, but you think they are real like how I see my mom... but she is real! I know she has to be she opens the door at night to let me in.


It is November 20th, 2023, at 3:01am and I don't hear the door opening instead I hear the sounds of mom crying and talking to herself she spoke out softly to me, "It has been too long, it is time to tell her what happened".

What "happened" and what has "been too long"? I lay in bed and think about what I just heard so hard my brain feels like it's going to explode.

Moments later the door opens slowly slower than usual. I go in and sit the same spot I do every night. This time feels different. It is eerie. Then suddenly, I don't see mom's beautiful blue eyes; instead, I see dark red eyes deeper than a black hole and sharp white teeth! I try to run out but The Locked Door! She bites my shoulder one inch away from my neck. Then in a burst of fear I wake up, checking all over my body but she, or it, left nothing except for the memory.


All day I think about everything that has happened. That thing in my closet and Mom crying. I still can't understand anything, so I decide to just take a shower. As I step out of the shower, I dry off but before I go to wrap myself in it, I realize my blood is all over the towel. Coming out of my arm is the nastiest red I've ever seen. I wash the blood off of my arm and revel teeth marks. "They weren't there this morning" I thought to myself. This means I was right... I don't have hallucinations, and this is all real. I do see, feel, and hear her.

The next day I decided to share this with someone who might actually understand so I decided to go and visit Madison and Abram. They welcomed me in, but I know we all felt awkward because we have not spoken to each other since mom's death. Abram went to take their dog outside. I knew this was the perfect time to talk to Madison in private about mom and everything else that has been going on.


"I would like to talk to you" I asked.

she agreed "okay".

I said, "promise me you will not think I am crazy".

She promised, "I promise. just don't say anything ridiculous".

I took a breath and told her, "At night moms door opens and I can go in and see her". "Oh, shut up Ariana yeah right"! she yelled.

I frowned, "I'm not lying I do, and I can hear her talk to me both day and night".

She said calmly, "look Ari I miss mom too, but you don't see me talking to air, do you"? I answered, "Fine if you don't believe me than come over and spend the night".

She agreed, "okay but I'm bringing my boyfriend".

I replied, "okay that's fine".

At 9:00pm I went home bringing Madison and Abram with me. We did not tell Abram about why they were really spending the night. We just let him fall asleep.

At 2:59am the door squeaked open Madison says, "oh my god did it just open after like 2 years of being locked"? I say, "yes it does every night". We both walked in but then Madison did something I've never done and regret seeing. She turned on the lights it looked like something you would only see in a nightmare. There was blood leaking from the walls, the bedroom window was completely shattered, and some shards put in the wall, moms old bed looked like a dog got in. As terrified as we both are we sit in the closet with the lights on but mom doesn't appear but there is a mirror sitting in front of us "I've never seen this" I said. she says, "because you don't turn on the lights".

I look closer and there is a note with bloody fingerprints all over.


It says, dear Ariana it is time you know how I really died it was not suicide. Every night you come in here and you think your talking to me but you're talking into this mirror, this mirror holds a demon in it they call Kaizlee, by now she has possessed you every night she lures you in here and grab's your hand and tries to get you to get more people in here to kill like you did me at 3:30am the night I died you got me to come in the closet and murdered me the only way to leave you this note was to take a life.

A life? I turn around in horror after I see Madison with her eyes black and wide open, I start to cry and scream as she stars to bleed out. Now everyone knows our house as (the house with The Locked Door!)




January 24, 2022 07:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

120 comments

K. A Bogers
03:11 Feb 03, 2022

Impressive! :) No critiques ;D

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
19:10 Feb 07, 2022

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:23 Feb 02, 2022

this is so random but your account reminds me exactly of my account when I first joined— the chaos bio, the comments asking for comment-backs, the replies, ALSKAJAHAHAKALAJAHAKA lol

Reply

Shaylynn Skinner
20:33 Feb 02, 2022

What do you mean? Me saying thank you, to the people who read should remind you of everyone on here LOL XD!

Reply

23:05 Feb 04, 2022

nah lol not just the thank-you’s—the online voice, the all-caps acronyms, the sign-offs and idk just the overall style all reminds me of me two years ago XD

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
19:10 Feb 07, 2022

LOL oh!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
03:19 Feb 01, 2022

Whoa!! I don't usually read horror, but this was good. Hopefully, since it is morning now, I will forget the story by night, so that I don't get bad dreams. I am not demenaing you, but it is just that I get very scared. Also, there were a few mistakes along the way, but it was a pretty good story in all.

Reply

Shaylynn Skinner
16:42 Feb 01, 2022

LOL, thank you very much! I love scary stories. XD

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:13 Feb 02, 2022

XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
03:13 Feb 01, 2022

Thank you Shaylynn!!! You're my 100th follower! Please do leave a review on any of my story(ies)...I'd love to read what you think about them.

Reply

Shaylynn Skinner
16:40 Feb 01, 2022

I would love to! I am very happy to be your 100th congrats! I will read one now.

Reply

Dhwani Jain
03:13 Feb 02, 2022

=D

Reply

Shaylynn Skinner
05:51 Feb 02, 2022

lol what time is it where you live? It is 1:00am here LOL

Reply

Dhwani Jain
06:06 Feb 02, 2022

I live in India...currently it is 11:36 a.m. XD Why are you up so late??

Reply

Shaylynn Skinner
14:30 Feb 02, 2022

LOL good morning LOL IDK i always do. XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

ohhh, this story def gave me goosebumps and quite a fright! Great work Shaylynn! One thing I'd tell u to keep in mind is your grammar. But other than that It's great!

Reply

Shaylynn Skinner
15:21 Jan 28, 2022

Thank you so much, can you point out any mistakes that stuck with you?

Reply

Hey again! I'm no professional but I'd say for the intro you could maybe make it more clearer? If u get what I mean. For example: I step outside my room in the dead of night, sweat rolling down my neck, hairs on the edge of my skin and my heart wanting to beat out of its ribcage. The path leads to my mother's bedroom door. She had died last year on the closet floor, leaving no clues that leads up to the reason of her death. Thus, investigators assumed it was a suicide, that she took her own life, that she wasn't fulfilled with what she had ...

Reply

Shaylynn Skinner
01:54 Jan 31, 2022

Thank you so much. Your feedback was honestly better than my story. Thanks again! I should have another story up by tomorrow or Tuesday. I would be greatful for you to read that one too! Great feedback. : ) <3

Reply

Of course, its a pleasure to be part of ur writing journey! Sure:) Just shoot me a message and I'll try to read it ASAP! :D

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
19:12 Feb 07, 2022

Thank you! Tell me when you post as well!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kylie Wallis
23:24 Jan 26, 2022

An intriguing story idea... did not see the end coming, the truth behind the locked door. :)

Reply

Shaylynn Skinner
23:35 Jan 26, 2022

Thank you so much, any ideas that I could use before I enter it in the contest!

Reply

Kylie Wallis
05:35 Jan 27, 2022

This story definitely shows potential. But, if there's something you feel you'd like to change or work on a bit before entering it in the contest, then by all means go ahead. I think for a first time post on Reedsy, the story is pretty good. As the saying goes ' 'Practise makes perfect.' Good luck!!!

Reply

Shaylynn Skinner
05:38 Jan 27, 2022

Do you see anything that should be changed?

Reply

Kylie Wallis
07:45 Jan 27, 2022

Punctuation, spacing between paragraphs, capital letters in sentences where people are talking...

Reply

Shaylynn Skinner
08:41 Jan 27, 2022

Thank you will do! =)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:48 Jan 26, 2022

Wow! What a nice story to begin with, here on Reedsyprompts! I cannot wait for reading your next one. Practice makes perfect. So keep trying, keep writing... Blessings

Reply

Shaylynn Skinner
20:23 Jan 26, 2022

Thank you so much I will definitely stay updated on your page, thank you so much for taking the time to read my story and leave such a beautiful comment! By the way I think my next one is going to be about race. inspiration: Tom MacDonald, No Lives Matter. It is on Spotify and YouTube if you want to listen and tell me what you think! Thanks again.

Reply

20:09 Jan 30, 2022

Very welcome. I'm not a rap person but I watched the video and I liked its message: we're all brothers and sisters. Thanks for sharing inspiration.

Reply

Shaylynn Skinner
01:55 Jan 31, 2022

No, thank you! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
11:30 Jan 26, 2022

Awesome story! Especially as this is your first one here and you're only twelve. I really like it when young writers write on this website. Personally, I like the concept of your story (I enjoy writing horror and cliffhangers too! And reading them!) You turned an ordinary prompt into something really interesting. I didn't expect the ending, so great job on that! I have some feedback, though. Some sentences were probably a little long and hard to understand. And you've got commas in a few places that aren't necessary. These are just tiny thi...

Reply

Akshaya ✨
11:32 Jan 26, 2022

P.S. I read your bio and hey, I love Spanish too! I'm learning it on Duolingo.

Reply

Shaylynn Skinner
12:08 Jan 26, 2022

That is great that you are learning Spanish, I learned it with my neighbors they are from Peru. I would love to hear more of your critics also!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
12:24 Jan 26, 2022

Oh that's cool! It always helps to learn with an actual person. Yup I read your story and left a comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
S. Closson
10:55 Jan 26, 2022

This was a spooky story! I enjoyed it, especially the ending. Keep writing!

Reply

Shaylynn Skinner
10:59 Jan 26, 2022

Thank you so much it felt like forever, but it was really fun! Closson

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
07:05 Feb 12, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Nicole Of 2022
00:46 Apr 09, 2022

I dare you to write your next story about you having a rash LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
07:52 Jan 31, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Shaylynn Skinner
18:42 Jan 31, 2022

LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shaylynn Skinner
20:37 Feb 02, 2022

It's my 3rd time haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nicole Of 2022
21:24 May 21, 2022

.....you knew me on my old acc?? I forgot about you lol wow

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
16:47 Jan 26, 2022

It's very nice, I love the concept and idea. I do think that you see should try to use more punctuation, and break up some of the longer sentences. Remember to check capitalization, too! Overall, this was a great first story, especially for a 12 year old. And welcome to Reedsy!

Reply

Shaylynn Skinner
17:35 Jan 26, 2022

Thank you, =) =) =)

Reply

19:30 Jan 26, 2022

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.