0 comments

Science Fiction Adventure Funny

It was a normal day in Cattle Town. Barn Johnson was in his lab analyzing specimen he found behind the toilet, meanwhile his wife, Zina Johnson, was in the mall grocery shopping. Their kids, Gear and Astrone, were about to eat breakfast.

“Hey Astrone, can you pass the milk” asked Gear while pouring cereal into his bowl. Gear pushed the milk carton to the other side of the table where Astrone stood with a grin on his face. “What are you looking at loser” shouted Gear while looking around him. He grabbed the carton, poured milk in his cup and started drinking it. Astrone busted up laughing and shouted “That’s white toilet water dumbass! Happy April fool’s day”. Astrone spit his water and started chasing Gear. Gear ran to his room locked the door and chuckled at Astrone who was outside. “I swear to God I will kill you” he shouted.

An hour later, Astrone was about to do another mischievous prank, then he tripped on a banana peel that he planted. He was unconscious, “Why is it so bright” he asked while lying on the floor. He jumps up and shouts “I have a better idea”. Ever since Astrone learned what April Fool’s Day was, he always dreamed of pulling a big prank on his brother. “I will prank Gear by time travelling to the past and prevent mom and dad make him live, eew by the way, and then I go to him and tell him he doesn’t exist! I am such a genius” said Astrone.

Astrone snuck into his father’s lab while he was on lunch break. He uses his time machine to go back eight years ago, when Barn and Zina was in the airport for a trip to the Bahamas. The machine brought him to Barn’s lab, looks like it used to be an indoor swimming pool. “Why did they remove the swimming pool for a stupid science lab” whispered Astrone. He leaves the old lab and enters the house, where he sees the couple packing for the flight. “We have the shampoo, the pajamas, the food, the body wash, what else do we need?” said Barn to Zina. Astrone hid in the corner where he listened, he saw a small room down the hall. He quietly walked in the room and saw his crib, laying there was him as a fetus. He joyfully looked at himself, then he heard footsteps. He quickly hid in the cabinet, an old lady entered the room. The old lady checked on the two-month old fetus, she was tasked to take care of the baby while the couple was on vacation. When the lady left the room, so did Astrone. He sneaked out the window where the car was parked.

Conveniently, the house was near the Cattle Town City Airport. When the couple left, Astrone followed them. By the time they arrived they still had hours before the flight, so the couple took their time as they passed the security. “How do I pass the security? I’m ten years old and I have no passport” Astrone whispered to himself. He saw the vents in the airport, where he can get in. He opened it and climbed his way to the airport janitor’s closet. “If I stop Mom and Dad going to the Bahamas, this means they will not have their honeymoon and Gear would never exist, but how do I stop the plane?” thought Astrone. A bunch of rats started squeaking on the janitor’s room. Using his jacket as a basket, he carefully took some rats and hid them in all of the passenger’s bags while travelling through the conveyer belt. Minutes later the airport speaker rang “To all the passengers of flight c zero six zero five, your flight has been cancelled due to mice infestation found in the plane. You may reschedule or refund in the nearest customer service booths, thank you”. Astrone’s plan worked, he stopped the plane from flying. “It’s time to celebrate! Now, I have to go back and tell Gear that he won’t exist anymore” he said while jumping in the air.

Again, Astrone followed the couple home Disappointed, the couple drove home while the rainy clouds covered the sky. Astrone went directly to the room where the time machine was. He was filled with joy when he saw it still working. He pushed the button, then he found himself in his dad’s lab. He immediately ran to Gear, who was in the backyard during that time. “Hey Gear, I used dad’s time machine to go back in time-” Astrone was interrupted by Gear. “What- What’s happening? It looks like I- I’m Fading… What did you d-” suddenly Gear vanished. “Happy April Fools, Gear!” Astrone shouted.

Mom enters the room and angrily shouted “Can you stop shouting to yourself”. “Sorry mom, I just pranked Gear for April Fool’s Day” Astrone explains. “Who’s this Gear? Did you invite a friend over? Tell him I baked cookies, come fetch them downstairs” says Mom. “Mom, Gear is your other son! Don’t you remember?” asked Astrone as he slowly realizes that Gear never existed because of what he did. “What other son? You’re so creative with your imagination Astrone” said mom as she closes the door.

It sinks in to Astrone that he never had a brother because of what he did in the time machine. He thought “wow, without Gear I can do a lot of things! I don’t need him, I can do things on my own without sharing. I don’t need to share cookies, candy or clothes! It must be so fun to not have him around”. He proceeds to go to the park to enjoy the rest of the afternoon. On the way to the park he sees Gear’s favorite comic character “Gear, look! It’s captain pillow pile” he exclaimed. He slowly realizes that Gear wasn’t there, a look of sadness and grief was found in his face. This look was immediately replaced when he saw the playground, he sat on the swing and said “Gear you push me first, then I’ll-”. The look of grief came back after he recalled that Gear was not there. “Who am I kidding? I need Gear back; I need to go back to the time machine” said Astrone.

He went to the room where the science lab was supposed to be, and was astonished to find the indoor swimming pool instead. “Where is the lab? Why is there a pool?” said Astrone in the brink of crying. “I’m never getting Gear back; I want everything to be back to normal” he cried out while slowly lying on the floor. All of a sudden he heard a repetitive beeping sound. His vision started to go white, then he saw a blurry image of a doctor. He heard a voice “he is going to be okay, it was just a small fall. Oh look! He is waking up”. He felt his body sore and saw his family around him. “Where am I?” he asked while squinting his eyes. “You’re in the hospital sweetie, Gear saw you lying on the floor next to a banana peel” replied mom. “Gear I’m so glad to see you! ….. so it was all just a dream?” Astrone said happily. Everyone is confused on what he was talking about, suddenly Gear brought out pie and smacked it on Astrone’s face. Everyone was laughing, even the nurses. Gear shouted “Happy April Fool’s” as they took a picture of Astrone’s pie filled face.

March 30, 2021 16:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.