1 comment

Fantasy East Asian Fiction

Before the first drops of rain fell upon the soils of the world, and even longer still before the wars of heaven and gods, there was the eternal darkness we call Kurai. This being existed long before gods and men, the numerous stars and the stars before them, and even the first whisper’s of the cosmos. He was an ancient and eternal darkness who was alone and only ever wanted to be alone.

From Kurai came the first question. We do not know of the nature of Kurai’s Question but we do know that out of it’s answer arose Mitsu, the first divine light of the cosmos who answered with simply, “I am.” The darkness was pierced by the first candle in the vast ocean of black a beacon of warmth and potential in a cold and lifeless place. Kurai took Mitsu to wife and loved her beauty and gentle grace. As her influence over him grew, however, Kurai began to dwindle. He begged and pleaded for his wife to cease but she would not listen and would only reply with, “I am.”

Kurai was nearly burned out of existence by his wife until finally, one night, he approached her and made passionate love to her for what we mortals would consider to be eons. His passions for her allowed him to grow and take back some of the light for his darkness from her until they were perfectly balanced. From this great balance of their union, Mitsu bore a son who she called Kage, for wherever she would be present, the darkness of his father would cast Kage into his mother’s light. From Kage, we get shadows.

Mitsu, however, always had difficulty finding her son. He would hide from her in her light and would go hidden for long periods before he would be discovered again, and only ever in the presence of his dark father. So, Mitsu collected all of the energy from her light in the cosmos and fashioned the first stars, so that Kage would not hide from his mother’s light forever. Around these stars she placed small objects that would revolve around the stars where Kage could reside opposite their light and she could visit at morning and at dusk. His father would also visit during the night time when he was not in courtship with his mother.

Kage would settle himself on the dark side of many worlds but on one in particular, his mother had placed within it a small peace of her essence which Kage could play with whenever he wished. As time began to go by, Kage started to use this small bit of light in this one world to have thoughts beings and visions of great acts. Of beings who lived and loved. Kage thought of stories, names, and avatars for these beings and from that created the first dream.

From Kage’s dream, he took his mother’s essence from the world and began to smith for himself the first plants, and animals, flowers, oceans, and other creatures that would inhabit his world. He worked during the night so that the creatures and plants could wake during the day time and appreciate his mother’s light, and how through it, he would forever walk with his creations in the darkness of his father.

Mitsu praised her son and his creation, but his father, ruler of the cosmos was not pleased to see so much activity disrupting his cold and empty peace. From that moment on, he began scheming upon how he would exact his revenge upon his son’s creation.

Millennia went by, and Kage’s world had grown so densely populated that it was bursting at the seems with life. He pleaded with his mother but for all of his prayers she only answered with, “I am.” Finally, he turned to his great, dark father and prayed. “Eternal father, please help me. My creation has grown wild and is now beyond my skill to control.”

From the dark and empty temple of his cosmic dwelling, Kurai came upon his son. “I will assist you with this, my son, but to do so I require a creation devoid of life, and warmth. An object that life cannot be sustained on.”

Kage, eager to please his father, fashioned from the world a great celestial body of rock and dust for his father and he was praised for it. His father placed the creation near Kage’s world and nudged his forward on a path within it’s orbit.

Mitsu descended upon the pair, with rage of fire, and a burning desire to see Kage’s creation only grow and thrive. Kurai dismissed her immediately with only one reply, “nothing.”

At his word, the great rock moved between Kage’s world and Mitsu’s star and cast a great darkness upon it for many eons. It was here during this first eclipse that Kurai descended onto the world unimpeded by his wife’s light and objection and began to sew the seeds of chaos. In this, the world experienced famine, sickness, despair, and destitution for the first time since it was created. Through these devices, Kurai created a beast of terrible power. A dark entity he called the demon which ravaged the lands and possessed the living. Brother turned against brother. Groups became tribes. Tribes became armies. This was the first death that the world experienced.

Kage, horrified by what his father had brought upon his world sought refuge with his mother, but in the time of the darkness, she could not be found but in the heavenly stars of the cosmos. It was in this celestial refuge that Mitsu and Kage created a new world without form or plain from the pureness of her light, imbued with the darkness of Kage’s father from his own eternal shadow. The Night Plains, they called them. For his folly, Mitsu charged her son to shepherd the freed divine light of the dead from his world to this one. If they be of noble stock and purity of heart, they could live in the Night Plains without the need of resource or sustenance and without the need for the light of her star. If they were wicked, they would be cast into the Kurai’s eternal void for him to forever torment.

After many eons of the eclipse, Kurai’s gave the world a name, Chikyu or as we know her Earth, and imbue her with her mother’s essence forever in order to create and sustain the beings of Kage’s world. Finally, Kage returned from the Night Lands and confronted his father.

“Mercy, father! That is enough! You have destroyed my creation, brought pain, and suffering to this world and snuffed out the life with which I graced it. End this now!”

Kurai glared at his wonderful son. “Very well. But not before I bless Chikyu with a gift.”

As a final act, Kurai descended upon Chikyu and created a union. Mitsu witnessed the act and felt nothing but disgust and would forever be absent where her husband was. Her light would burn him away whenever he came close to her, and she would never allow herself to be overtaken by him again.

From the union of Kurai came four children: Kurayami—darkness, Samui—cold, Fuko—misfortune, and Shi—death.

These four children were granted power over Chikyu’s inhabitants and charged with maintaining balance and order. Mitsu would forever intervene with the world and bring forth her own ways of combating her husbands trickery and evil. Powerful beings of great magic and pure light would roam Chikyu’s lands and oceans trying to hunt down and kill the bastard children from her husbands extra-marital affair, but each time they get close, Kurai descends upon the world again through the use of Kage’s creation called Luna, and casts another dark eclipse upon the world to cleanse it of her influence.

Thus, has been the cycle of balance, the struggle of light versus dark, and good against evil, Kurai and Mitsu. Forever bound by love and hate, and eternally struggling to dominate life.

April 13, 2024 02:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Alex Bould
22:12 Apr 20, 2024

this is the best short story I have ever read :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.