10 comments

Fiction Kids Inspirational

Authors note- This is part two of β€˜New Traditions'


Ainslee Flora Dior was born on a lovely spring day. Immediately after she had taken her first breath her golden brown eyes slightly opened. I was in awe as I saw my little sister taking in everything around her. She locked eyes with me and it stayed that way until Kendra cuddled her gently in her arms.Β 

β€œWhat a beauty,” My father remarked looking at his youngest daughter. β€œWhy, she reminds me of Bella as a little baby.” 

Kendra smiled weakly at him as she stroked her baby softly.Β 

I rolled my eyes at him as I continued to glance over at the new addition of the family.Β 

β€œHer name is Ainslee.” Kendra announced as she kissed Ainslee on her forehead. β€œAinslee Flora has been born.” 

I knew instantly that she was going to be the talk of the neighborhood. She would have all the attention she never asked for, I’ll just be someone in the way…

*************

β€œAww, isn't she the sweetest.” Kendra cooed looking at her little angel. β€œWho’s a good girl, you are.” 

Kendra sounded like she was talking to a dog, not a baby, I thought.

β€œKendra, can you make me a sandwich.” I asked, my tummy rumbling in unison to my statement as if agreeing with me.

β€œI’m sorry Bells, I need to change Ain’s diaper, you're a big girl now, you should be able to fend for yourself.” She giggled as she tickled Ainslee.

I groaned, I hated to cook anything, even if it only involves putting things together.Β 

This wasn’t the first time I had to β€˜fend for myself’ as Kendra puts it. Ever since Ain was born two months ago she had taken over the house. Kendra, my dad, the neighbors and even my friends all want to see the β€˜adorable little angel.’ What about me?Β 

Aren't I an β€˜adorable little angel’ too?

I knew Kendra was trying hard to make me not miss my mother. But mom, she was irreplaceable. I just wished I had mom with me still, she would have taken care of me no matter what.

*************

β€œIssi, Issi.” My little sister called out to me while I had been studying for a test.Β 

β€œWhat?” My annoying, pesky, attention grabber little sister was three now.Β 

β€œGimme.” She demanded, her eyes were narrowed to the crayon on my desk. I sighed as I handed the crayon to her.

She scurried away, thank goodness.

β€œGimme.” I heard her say from the living room. β€œWant cholate.” Her english was terrible, I had to admit myself. Kendra of course would give her chocolate even if it’s before dinner. I wished I had β€˜cholate’ too but I knew Kendra would tell me no chocolate before dinner. I decided to try anyway, maybe I’ll get lucky if I maybe try in Ain’s way.

β€œGimme cholate too.” I mimicked my sister the hardest I could. Kendra had her hands on her hips as she chuckled a bit but she put the chocolate away in spite of my amazing Ain’s voiceover.

β€œBella, don’t act like a baby.” Was all I got in return.

β€œHow come she gets it?” I asked, still mimicking Ain’s baby gibberish voice. β€œIt’s not fair.” I stomped my foot down, I’ve seen Ain do this a few times and she had always won an argument. I hope I can too.

β€œBella, what’s gotten into you, don’t act childish...you're almost twelve, act like a role model for your sister.” She ordered me sternly this time. I still looked upset at Kendra for scolding me and not Ainslee.

β€œKids.” Kendra said, shaking her head. β€œI’m disappointed in you, please be more mature.” She pleaded.

β€œWhy.” I crossed my arms.

β€œBecause you're older.”

β€œWhy?”

β€œI don’t know, ask God.” Her voice raised a little but she quieted down as she saw Ain was watching.

β€œWhy.” I knew playing the β€˜why’ game drives adults nuts but if Ain did it then Kendra would think it was adorable so why can’t I?

β€œIsabella Grace Dior,” Kendra commanded, using my full name. β€œWhat is wrong with you?”

I looked down, unable to make eye contact with her. She still had on the β€˜I’m disappointed in you’ look. I gulped as I tried to explain to her.

β€œI want to be a baby, I want attention.” I finally spoke out what I had been keeping inside.Β 

β€œWere you jealous of all the attention Ain has gotten since she had been born?” Kendra finally asked, her eyebrows up realizing my feelings of being left out for the first time. β€œI thought you were happy to be an older sister?”

β€œI am but...I was a bit jealous” I admitted.

β€œAww Bella. I love you and I always will, but Ain’s little, I know I wasn't here when you were a baby but I am here now, you will always be my little girl even if you aren't a baby...I promise.” She smiled at me hoping I would understand her dilemma.Β 

β€œI’m sorry...for behaving… β€˜childish’.” I quoted her. β€œI just felt like no one payed attention to me anymore.” 

β€œIt’s ok, I get how you feel, I felt left out when I was your age too...you have it easy, I had three younger siblings and I felt alone all the time but my mother explained to me that I should be an example to my younger siblings, of course I did take care of them after my mother died but...you get my point” She explained her point of view as her voice cracked as she talked about her mother.

β€œI’ll be a big girl from now on.” I didn’t want to upset Kendra anymore.

β€œDon’t be too big, I don’t want to lose my little pumpkin to leave me so soon.” She remarked as we hugged it out. β€œJust be yourself and everything will be fine.”

β€œI’ll try...but no promises.”

β€œIssi?” Ain asked for me. Kendra looked at me. I walked to my sister and picked her up.Β 

β€œI promise to be a good older sister.” I told her. β€œI love you Ainslee.”

β€œLov yo Issi.” She copied me.

I smiled at her bad pronunciation...but I didn’t care. Everything will be just perfect.



November 21, 2020 19:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Sophia Thorne
09:05 Nov 22, 2020

Aww... sweet and wonderful, loved it! Just a quick mistake I caught: "the new edition to the family", I'm sure you meant "addition". Keep up!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
05:31 Nov 22, 2020

Your story was fantastic, Varsha! I like how you write the characters and their dialogue. Keep it up! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
05:08 Nov 25, 2020

Great story! I really liked the laced in jealousy from Bella and the idea of the jealousy causing her childish behaviour. Once again a few suggestions :) - 'What a beauty.' should be a comma, not full stop bc the sentence continues after the dialogue - once again, 'God' should be capitalised - 'Isabella Grace Dior.' should be a comma, the sentence continues after - also for that part as well, maybe edit word choice of 'she mentioned' to something like {"Isabella Grace Dior," Kendra commanded, using my full name.} - "Aww, Bella, I love...

Reply

20:56 Nov 25, 2020

Cool! Would you mind rereading 'My Universe'? (I think you read it earlier, but I changed it a lot since then bc of the whole second story not submitting thing) Any critique and feedback would be much appreciated :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.