5 comments

Adventure Contemporary American

NO NEED TO PANIC – OH REALLY? 

In the fall of 1972, Greg Monson arrived on the campus of Indiana University.  (The week before, he had received a letter giving him instructions on where and when to meet.)  

The meeting began with each of the nine new candidates introducing themselves. Followed by: “The entrance exam shouldn’t take more than thirty minutes to complete... As you know, the exam consists of questions: English/Vocabulary, Mathematics and History-Geography. You’re on your own...there will be no proctor...we operate on the Honor Code. Good luck. 

Greg’s mind went into panic-mode: A TEST? No mention of a test was mentioned in the letter. History and Geography were no problem. For the past two years he had been teaching both subjects. English? So-so. 

Ohhh, his brain moaned: Nothing in the acceptance letter mentioned mathematics (or maths, as the Brits would say...) As a young teenager, he started a course in basic Algebra, as was common practice. However, in late December 1954 he lost a four month battle with polio; actually, he had won, he was still alive.  

Bulbar polio normally killed patients...or at the best left them in iron lungs—most of whom eventually died. The Paralytic Polio left Greg with the left half of his body mostly useless for six months...with permanent loss in his left foot and ankle but left arm and hand recovering gradually to a semi-normal capacity. (Purpose in elaborating on the topic/mention of polio. Chances are ‘you/the reader are too young to know much about poliomyelitis.)  

His missing school for nearly four months...meant: ab Quadratic Algebraic Equations: An equation where the degree of the polynomial is 2 is known as a quadratic algebraic equation. The general form of such an equation is ax2 + bx + c = 0, where a is not equal to 0. 

Example: 3x2 + 2x - 6 = 0 is a quadratic algebraic equation. This type of equation will have a maximum of two solutions. 

Cubic Algebraic Equations 

An algebraic equation where the degree equals 3 will be classified as a cubic algebraic equation. ax3 + bx2 + cx + d = 0 is the general form of a cubic algebraic equation (a ≠ 0). 

Example: x3 + x2 - x - 1 = 0. A cubic algebraic equation will have a maximum of three roots as the degree is 3. 

Was ALL GREEK TO GREG: Ergo...he completely flunked the math portion of the entrance exam. Well, ‘completely’ is an exaggeration; he was able to complete the addition, subtraction and division parts.  

One good element of the story... Greg’s other scores were high enough and he was allowed to attend Graduate School at I.U. to obtain a degree in Programmed Instruction with a minor in FILM-TV production.  

Ending up: Consulting for nearby Cummins Engine...as a writer director and producer on dozens of training programs/films. Later: While employed by Lockheed Aircraft-Burbank. Initially, Greg worked with helicopter pilots to produce training programs, films and all training for Lockheed’s AH-56 Cheyenne, an attack helicopter developed for the United States Army. It rose from the Army's Advanced Aerial Fire Support System (AAFSS) program to field the service's first dedicated attack helicopter.  

When the Vietnam war was in sight of ending, the U.S. Government ended financial support of the project and concentrated on the first wide-body jumbo-jet the L1011 Tri-Star. 

Greg worked with flight crews and engineers from Delta Airlines; Air Canada and BOAC who came to Burbank to design and create training manuals, films, for all of the major components: HYDRAULICS, AUTO-PILOT, JETISONING-FUEL and SIMULATOR. 

When Rolls Royce—one of the original ‘customers’—and its ENGINE MANUFACTURE for a variety of other BOAC planes,  couldn’t get past a problem with the ‘heat shields’...Lockheed had to shut down until other U.S. Jet Engine manufacturers could begin manufacturing engines. ( Unfortunately, by that time...Douglas—basically copying the L1011 came out with their MD 11. And put the 3rd engine up on the middle of the rudder. ( Kindov funny, eh? ) But not so funny for the first months until Douglas could take care of huge problems with ‘vibration-factors’.  

Following my time at Burbank/Palmdale, California. I replied to an employment offer: Training consultant ( ITU used the word ‘EXPERT’...still may?) to work throughout Brazil; home office BRAZILIA. Wonderful...24 hours ‘A’ Portuguese. My brother spoke Brazilian Portuguese / Trained Agents from Spain and Mexico (for three years) for the CIA.  

Sent my resume and cover letter to ITU – Geneva, Switzerland.  

Two days later I received a phone call: “Blah blah blah How long will it take you to report for work in Brasília?” 

(I’m not married, not involved...mmm ) Two days. But I don’t have a passport?”  

“Do you drink or do drugs...? 

“Never...to either.” 

Long story short... They (ITU) cleared everything with the FBI, et al. A week later I was on a flight out of Los Angeles for Brasilia (in those days...nothing direct)  

“The ticket will be – LA/NYC...American Airlines...NYC / Brasilia VARIG AIRLINES.” 

**********  

The flights were all 1st Class. 

“I met with the Telephone Company in and around Brasilia...and learned there were over four-hundred different phone companies...using everything from Siemens to Telefunken, a French Corporation...forgot the name.  

It would take volumes to explain what transpired over the next three years. An ordinary/regular ITU assignment lasts one year. After the one year, TELEBRAS paid me almost double (the dollar was very high on the exchanges)  too stay another three years.  

Following Brazil came ITU assignments to Papua New Guinea and India. (And in the process: traveling to/ visiting any other countries he had an inclination to visit.) 

All’s Well That Ends Well -  William Shakespeare (1564-1616). 

A true story! Only the name of the ‘lead character’ was created, to protect the innocent...me! 

D.T. Moon  (February 10, 1936 — still in good health)  

  • P.S. David E. Hennessy – was one of the nine. We became best of friends and worked on the production of hundreds of training programs. Dave tried to get me to work with him in Saudi Arabia: “Come on, Moon... I’ll get you a great apartment near mine...here in Athens. We’ll fly to the oil fields (one or the other: Khurais / Qatif Project and Abu Safah field or the Safaniya Oil Field)...every Monday morning and fly back late afternoon to Athens.  

And, never to be forgotten: Henry Hank Shumway the gentleman who interviewed me for 30 minutes before hiring me at Lockheed Aircraft – Burbank/Palmdale. 

(How I saved Lockheed one million dollars + : Another story for another day.) 

November 04, 2023 20:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Ralph Radama
13:21 Nov 16, 2023

What a journey! I felt disoriented and also inspired by all the experiences the Greg went through here. The writing style read like a stream of consciousness than a conventional narrative, but it adds to the haphazard and chaotic theme which I suppose was the intent of the story, given the prompt. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Gail Ormsby
23:41 Nov 15, 2023

Good story: My mother was a victim of polio. She had one leg shorter than the other and was also told she would never have children. I am the first child. Sounds like you enjoyed your job. And career.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shirley Medhurst
15:39 Nov 14, 2023

Goodness, what a commendable career! 👏 👏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tom Skye
18:07 Nov 11, 2023

Nice work. A whirlwind life summary. This was a great read. Respect! Thanks for sharing

Reply

Show 0 replies
David Sweet
16:33 Nov 11, 2023

That is quite a legacy! Congrats.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.