5 comments

Kids Drama Adventure

In the midst of a warm September, a storm just off the gulf was brewing and threatening destruction along its wake. People were quick to evacuate that were in the path, and those few who stayed made sure they had supplies to last however long they needed, whether it be a few days, or a few weeks. However, for one family, they seemed to run their day as though there was nothing wrong in sight. With the path not near their home, they saw no need to stock up on too many supplies, but they always had enough just in case anything changed. It was just another Monday for the Moriarty Family, and everyone was excited about the weekend plans:

Camping!

The kids, knowing school was slowly creeping in on their summer vacation, were ecstatic to hear they would have one last chance to enjoy the limited freedom they had before getting stuck behind desks in a classroom. Zoey, the oldest, had already planned and prepared everything she needed for the trip. Clothes were already packed, and she had notes everywhere in the bathroom to remind her to pack the last minute needs when she was done that Friday morning with them. Joshua, the middle child, was still deciding which action figure to pack that weekend. He usually took his Captain America figure with him, for bravery during the night, but he wanted to make sure each one got a chance to go somewhere with him. Finally, little Annabelle was simply playing with her teddy, not a care in the world about packing because she knew her mother would have it ready for her.

The whole week continued on smoothly. Joshua would spend time with his friends either online playing games, or out in the yard with water balloons and super soakers. Zoey was busy at her part time job most weekdays, and when she was off, she would go to the mall with friends to hunt pokemon. Little Annabelle had playdates with her friends from daycare, each excited to finally be entering second grade.

Suddenly, as Thursday rolled around the corner, the storm shifted, and now their little home was smack in the middle of the raging storm. It would hit that evening, and they would be stuck inside until at least Saturday morning. Their father, William, was quick to get as many extra supplies as possible and a few boards to cover the windows. Alexandria, their mother, moved beds to the living room, where everyone would be safest once her husband covered the windows. Just as the storm was inching closer, their father made sure everything was secured, and the vehicles in the garage. Then, he slips inside and locks the door shut.

Within minutes, the storm hits, and the howling winds rock the house. The children huddle closer together, with Zoey gently stroking Joshua’s back and Annabelle holding back her tears in her mother’s arms. The power flashes, then completely dies, causing the little girl to give off a shriek. Her mother softly hushes her and holds her closer. The father keeps his eyes on the boarded windows, fearing something might blast through them.

Minutes became hours, and hours became days, and days became years, or so it seemed to the family. The eye of the storm had passed by already, and now they were waiting. Very little sleep was gained as the storm hammered the home they lived in. However, each slowly began to fall into the darkness of sleep as exhaustion took over. The only one to stay awake was their father, William. Soon, he slowly stands, realizing it was eerily quiet outside now. Careful not to disturb the ones asleep, he tip toes over their sleeping bodies and makes his way to the door. Slowly, he unlocks it and cracks it open. Outside, it was calm. Clouds were still rolling across the sky, and rain was still falling from the sky, but the wind was soft and gentle now. He sighs and closes the door, knowing they were out of harm's way for now.

A few hours later, the sun finally peaks through the boards on the windows. The kids rouse and slowly begin moving to the door to get a quick peek of what the world looked like now. Their father opens it, and they all gasp. Power Lines were down across their street, tree limbs were scattered and debris from one shattered tree was everywhere. Luckily, it looked like no homes were destroyed completely, only minor bumps and scratches.

Heading back inside, the kids plop down with heavy hearts. They were supposed to go camping this weekend! Now, they were trapped at home with nothing to do. Annabelle sniffles, unable to hold back the tears anymore. She had been excited! The woods were her favorite place, and she had her little sleeping bag as well! Joshua scoots closer to his little sister and tries to comfort her while hiding his own disappointment. However, Zoey makes a ‘hmph’ noise and stands. She disappears down the hall to their rooms, and her father watches her with curiosity. She quickly reappears with items under her arms and heads out the back. Before exiting, she makes sure it's completely safe, and her father gives her the go ahead while distracting the other kids.

William tries to cheer them up, but nothing seems to work. These had to be the only kids in the world that were excited to step away from the television and games to go explore nature, and now that was taken from them. Zoey pops in and out occasionally, carrying towels and other supplies outside, then coming back in empty handed. Alexandria arrives with peanut butter and strawberry jelly sandwiches, which seems to do the trick for now. The two kids eat slowly, still in a sour mood. Their mother stands and moves to gaze out the back window. A smile spreads on her face, and she moves back to the kids. She tells them to follow her, and slowly they do. Their feet drag with sorrow as they make their way to the sliding glass door that leads to the backyard. As they lift their heads, their eyes widen and their spirits lift. 

Zoey, their older sibling, had erected a massive blanket fort between the trees, strug battery powered lights between them, and had towels covering the ground. On top of the towels was everyone’s sleeping bags, laid out with enough room for the whole family. She turns to them as the door opens with a smile on her face. No storm would stop them from going camping, not to mention it was now cooler outside than inside! William walks over and pulls the small fire pit closer to the fort, and Alexandria brings the lawn chairs over. The two younger children quickly run back in and grab marshmallows, graham crackers, and chocolate, before reappearing just as the fire lights. William was quite pleased that he had finally remembered to cover the log pile so it would stay dry for once.

Despite the sudden change in plans, the family still had their camp out. The kids had nature books to read, and Zoey only had to make a few phone calls to check in with work and friends before joining them. William and Alexandria did the same, and then the whole family was enjoying the cool breeze while eating smores and attempting to build sling shots from the twigs on the ground. No matter the circumstances, this family would find a way to make sure they still had a silver lining to look forward to. Adventure was never too far away, and they were sure to find it each time.

September 12, 2020 02:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

ELDRIDGE STIMMEL
02:19 Sep 25, 2020

Fun, again! You also have some tense switches in there. I'd go a little more active: The storm building off the gulf threatened destruction to an otherwise perfect September. Most people scurried from its path like rats. The heart few who stayed knew these storms and stockpiled the supplies they need for the days or weeks following a good blow. Again, that's just my take. I enjoyed reading this tale and would read more of it or more like it!

Reply

Mariam Michalak
13:09 Sep 25, 2020

Thanks so much again. I have always struggled with tense changing, and I've been getting better at it. And thanks for giving me ideas to be more active. I find myself trying to get points across rather than telling a story, and it's a struggle.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathleen Whalen
22:24 Sep 16, 2020

I like your story. I think you would be very good with YA or children’s stories because you seem to understand them and are able to get into their heads. Good work!

Reply

Mariam Michalak
02:38 Sep 17, 2020

Wow! Thanks so much! That's actually one of my main targets. Young Adults have a large variety, and I've read so much that I am actually trying to make my own book right now. Might be publishing soon.

Reply

Kathleen Whalen
03:11 Sep 17, 2020

Good for you! I hope you are able to fulfill your dreams. I have written some YA stuff as well, and would like to self-publish. Thank you also for reviewing my submission.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.