If the world was ending 🌏

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic romance.... view prompt

12 comments

Romance Adventure Lesbian

"What's going on?" I scream, sprinting across the field towards my best friend. Shle's running too. I think the world is ending.

I'm being chased by some kind of monster. They were peope, and I know, because I watched them change. They have pale green skin, and sharp nails. Their teeth grew into fangs, and now they have bird feet.

"Dezi!" Marci shouts.

She's been my best friend since we were in kindergarten. She has long black hair pulled into a ponytail, and tan skin. She's on the track, and basketball team. She comes from a really rich family. She's taller then me, but not by a lot.

I'm kind of the oppisite of her. I have short light brown hair, and light skin. I suck at all sports, but I'm great at school things. I live with my mom, when she's home. We're both seventeen.

I reach the middle of the field. "Dez, what's going on?" She asks.

"It's okay, we'll figure it out. We need to get out of here, though." I assure her.

She nods, and we run together to the school.

"Wait." She whispers. She looks around the side of the big brick wall. "I can see them over there."

"What do we do?" I ask. I'm biting my nails, which I do when I'm nervous. She pulls my hand away from my mouth, and instead I tap my fingers on my leg.

She's thinking, then her eyes light up. "My house."

I can't believe I didn't think of that. Her house is huge. It has a huge fence surrounding the building, but we've found at least five other ways to get in. The house has tons of hiding places, and food, so we can stay there to hide from the creatures.

"How?" I ask. Her house is far out of the way. Like, thirty minutes away. We'll never make it on foot.

She thinks again, pulling on her ponytail. "My car? We can drive there as fast as we can."

"Okay." I say, nodding. "But how are we going to get past all of them?" I gesture towards the creatures.

She points, and I see her car. It's not in the parking lot, it's down the street, in front of a grocery store. We should be able to make it without the creatures seeing us.

"C'mon." She says, running towards the car.

"Mac, no-" I start. But it's too late. I can already hear the creatures roaring.

I race after her, and we get across the street before they catch up. I scream as one lunges at me. I step to the side, and it misses me. I can see Marci getting in the car, and I run faster. I glance behind me, and see two right behind me. Then, I trip.

I roll on the pavement, gripping my leg, and the two creatures stop. They come in close, but before they can touch me, I hear a loud honk. I twist around, and see Marci driving towards us. My leg hurts, but I manage to limp to the side. The creatures are staring at the car, and don't even notice me.

She hits them, and stops the car. I grab the handle, and sing the door open.

"Oh my god, are you okay?" She asks. Is she crying?

I nod, as I slam the door shut. She covers her face. "What's wrong?" I ask, putting a hand on her arm.

"I thought you were going to die." She sobs. "I never would've..." Her voice trails off as she looks up, and her eyes widen.

I look up, too, and gasp. A horde of the creatures are staggering towards us. A bunch of them are tripping, so it's slows them down.

"Go!" I shout. She spins the car around, and races down the street. I look outside, and see more of the creatures trying to get in other buildings. It looks like they can't turn doorknobs, they just scratch at the door.

Soon, we're driving past big, empty fields and I finally calm down. I close my eyes, and rest my head on the window. I'm nearly asleep when I hear Marci whisper, "Dez?"

I open an eye. She's looking straight ahead.

"Yeah?" I say softly.

She bites her lip. "I'm scared."

"It's okay. We'll figure it out, okay?" I say, putting a hand on her arm.

She nods, and smiles at me. I smile back, and put my heaad back aganist the window. I'm drifting off, when I hear her say quietly, "I love you, Dez."

🌏

I spent the rest of the drive there, thinking about what Marci meant, instead of sleeping.

I've been in love with her since seventh grade. She knows I'm bi, but not that I like her. I don't think she is, but she's never told me she loves me before.

When we get to her house, we go to the back of the house. My leg doesn't hurt as much, and I walk to the fence with her.

There's a trapdoor over here that goes to the inside of the house. We've both used it alot, mostly her, to sneak out.

We pull it up, and crawl inside. She pulls it shut behind us, and eveerything's dark. We feel around for the flashlights that we left here, and flick on two.

"C'mon," She says, walking down the pathway. I follow silently.

When we reach the end of the tunnel, I push open the hatch. We drop onto the cold floor.

"Wait." I say to Marci. "Could one of them be here?"

She shakes her head. "Nobody was supposed to be here. Mom and Dad are out of the country."

"Just in case...." I grab a broom and mop out of a closet, and hand her one.

"Let's go to the kitchen. I'm hungry." She says.

I nod. "If everyone here is one of those things, electricity is going to stop working. we better make what we can."

"Race you?" She asks, grinning.

I grin back. "You're on."

We run down the hallway to the kitchen. She stops first, but I run into her, and we fall, laughing.

"What do you want to eat?" She asks when we get up.

I shrug, and sit on a bar stool. "Whatever."

She starts making ramen noodles, which we usually eat here. I look around the kitchen, and realize I haven't been here in a while. Like, a month, maybe.

"What's wrong?" Marci asks, dropping a big bowl between us. I notice I'm tapping my fingers on the counter, and stop.

I shake my head. "It's nothing."

She reaches towrads the bowl, but realizes she forgot forks. "I'll get them." I tell her, standing up.

I grab them from the drawer, and she gasps. "Dez, your leg!"

"What?" I say, looking down. Oh, wow. That's.... wow. My jeans ripped, and my leg has a huge cut on it. It's not bleeding anymore, but the you can see red on the pants.

"C'mon, let's clean it, and change." She says.

I nod, and we go to the stairs. When I open the door to her room, she gasps. So do I.

I've always known she was a great artist. I just never expected her to have tons of drawings of me on her wall.

I walk over, and look over them all. She's standing at the door, biting her nails.

"Mar?" I whisper looking at one particular picture. It's a drawing of both of us, holding hands.

I look at her, and she looks like she's going to cry. I grab her hands. "Mar, don't cry." I say.

She closes her eyes, and I pull her into a hug. "It's okay. Why are you crying?"

"You don't hate me?" She sniffs.

I shake my head. "Why would I hate you?"

"Cause I like you." She mumbles.

My eyebrows shoot up. "What?"

"Since seventh grade." She says quietly.

I grin. "I like you too."

"What?" She gasps.

I nod, and she smiles.

"Can...Would..I..." I mumble.

She raises an eyebrow.

"CanIpleasekissyou?" I ask quickly, my eyes shut.

She grins. "Yes."

I'm relieved, and we both lean forward, and knock our noses together.

We laugh, and try again. This time, our lips connect, and she puts her hands on my waist. I lift a hand to her hair, twisting my fingers in it.

She pulls back an inch. "I love you, Dez."

"I love you too, Mar." I whisper back.

September 22, 2020 19:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

This is really good! Imma follow you because I love romances between peopple,espically in dire situations! Good joB!

Reply

Ari Berri
13:51 Sep 25, 2020

Thanks so much! This one is one of my favorites.

Reply

Yup.and now its one of my favorites too!😁😁😁

Reply

Ari Berri
18:54 Sep 25, 2020

Thank you! Also, I loved your story, Oplaine's Will. You're a great author.

Reply

Thank you!You are a great author too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 0 replies
Ari Berri
15:31 Oct 11, 2021

Oh, right!

Reply

The story is still good :D

Reply

Ari Berri
18:22 Oct 12, 2021

Thank you, thank you

Reply

Ari Berri
19:20 Oct 12, 2021

XD New story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.