4 comments

Drama Romance Thriller

Kemi did not believe she was married, in the car she kept stealing glances at her ring and giggling to herself. She could not wrap her head around the fact that she was so in love and happy

"you're the most beautiful woman in the world, I can't believe you're mine " Tomi smiled her.

" And I wonder how I got so lucky to be Mrs Kemi Tomiwa" she smiled back.

When he wasn't looking she pinched herself to check if she wasn't dreaming. she remembered how broken and alone she was , she remembered it like it was just last night sitting in a pool of blood with bottles shattered on the floor, her blood rushing out of her body and her father's body sprawled on the floor while his blood flowed through the carpet and now here she was , genuinely happy and married to her very own Prince charming, she closed her eyes taking it all in her heart leaped with joy all that was left was the happy ever after.

But no one ever told her that this wasn't Cinderella and although kemi had really long hair, she wasn't Rapunzel either!

The first day Tomi slapped her, she swore she saw stars. she overslept and his dinner got burnt so he slapped her, He begged and begged but Kemi already packed her bags and was ready to leave , he gave her the most Charming speech and even if she knew she had read the speech online she lied to herself and she forgave him because "a hungry man is an angry man". So she swept it under the carpet and decided to do it to save her marriage.

Few months after the incident , Kemi got a raise in her office and started earning more than Tomi, they went out for dinner to celebrate and when it was time to pay, Kemi offered to pay the bills but Tomi clenched his jaw so hard , his teeth could shatter. After apologizing a billion times to something she didn't even know was a crime, he got up and walked out of the restaurant, Tomi ran after him but he drove off , she went inside and found out that he had taken her purse with her and now she couldn't pay for the food or catch a ride home, Kemi washed so many plates at the restaurant and dropped her wedding ring since she couldn't pay. she walked halfway then was picked up and taken home by a good Samaritan.

"Who the hell was that Kemi?"

"what do you mean ? you left me and-"

"And what ? that was an excuse to let a man drop you? you're such a hoe!"

He came closer to her and she moved

" you rik of alcohol Tomi, let me go!"

He drew out his belt and started wiping Kemi everywhere

"you think you can embarrass me just because you're earning more now?"

He kicked and slapped , punched and beat until Kemi could taste the blood flowing from her forehead he dragged her up and set her on the table.

"You are mine, do you understand that?"

" y-yes" Kemi cried

" say it"

" I'm yours , I I am yours"

He ripped her top and squeezed her breasts, she shrieked.

"Tomi please , I'm not-" His lips came crashing down on hers painfully, he pulled down her skirt and carried her with his hands to the room. Kemi struggled to get out of his hold

"stay still you wrench, Don't pretend like you didn't do it in the car with whoever that was"

" please-please I'm on my period, please Tomi, I'm sorry"

He threw her on the bed and got untop of her , she pushed him away and tried to run to the door. He dragged her back and pinned her on the table , rough and wet kisses went down her neck . she pushed and struggled , she closed her eyes trying to delete the memory , trying to forget , hot tears streamed down her face. He had his way. although the night Kemi stayed up , her thoughts in knots with different ends. she wondered how everything went haywire , she knew that she could never remain happy , it just wasn't in her fate. Her eyes were empty even she tried to cry she just ended up letting out bitter laughs. She looked at the monster in her bed then she percieved it! it hit like a wave, a sudden scent enveloped her it was a familiar scent that consumed her like a dark cloud giving her a nostalgic feeling, the scent mocked her and reminded her that she wasn't good enough. she tried to place it , was it a familiar cologne ? was it alcohol she had percieved somewhere? or pure sweat? it was all over Tomi. She remembered! it was the same scent that filled her nose the night her father touched her, it was the scent that was all over her bedsheet every night he left her room, it was the same scent on her father's suit when her mother forced her to hug her dad after he returned from work everyday. She let out another bitter laugh, It was all a lie, Disney lied to her. There was no Prince charming to sweep her off her feet but there was surely one to pull down her pants and hit her, there was no Happy ever after , it was too ugly to see so they didn't show it , they censored the truth and kept painting a fake picture. Every body in her life decieved her , they showed her mirages and when she took their hand, it was just a delusion. she looked at Tomi again sleeping peacefully,he never liked to be disturbed while sleeping "I'll make sure he never gets disturbed again" she thought to herself. Kemi ran to the kitchen got a knife and like she knew , she had recently got the knife sharpened, she took her phone and dialed 911 then she slit her wrist and laughed at the blood pumping out of her vein . "This has happened to me before" she passed out.

September 26, 2020 22:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Sonia Nkoro
14:04 Oct 04, 2020

Wow Williams this is indeed the best short story I've ever read.i know you're winning baby girl ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sharon Chinaza
22:41 Oct 03, 2020

It's captivating..the real need of the whole thing. The message behind it. Honestly , it's a beautiful beautiful work of art. Congratulations❤❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nancy Nkanor
15:12 Oct 29, 2020

Damn you're good❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Miteh Olabode
06:32 Oct 04, 2020

Wow Winnie. More people need to read this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.