31 comments

Funny Fiction Friendship

I hate myself a little more today but that’s not much different than yesterday. Maybe I don’t hate myself. Maybe what I’m doing and where I’m at is affecting how I’m doing. My lonesome thought is disrupted by the demanding growl of my stomach. Maybe I’d feel better if someone in this cursed place knew how to cook.

“I already told you twice Devorah, dinner is at 5:00 and lunch was only two hours ago. You can have a pudding cup if you need a snack until then,” Howl states fighting back. He talks to the other residents like they’re children but with me he always just tells me like it is. I appreciate it in most circumstances but this isn’t one of them.

“You call that slop lunch? My father fed our pigs better meals than what was served today. What would you even call that garbage?” I snap. Howl is good to me and frankly he’s the only caretaker I can stand. Still though, I’m hungry and I’ll call 911 for elder abuse if I don’t get something worth eating today.

“Beef stroganoff. It was good. You might have even liked it if you would’ve tried it,” Howl says pointedly. He knows just as well as I do that I wasn’t letting that crap anywhere near my mouth. 

“Just one that’s all I’m asking for. I’ll eat it out of sight and I won’t tell a soul. Come on Howl you know my word is good,” I haggle. He’s already offered me a pudding cup three times but I can’t stand the sight of them. They’re not the same after they put my medicine in a few while I was sick last May. Three years in this place with a poor excuse for food and they’ve made me hate pudding cups.

“Devorah I can’t make you a grilled cheese every day, three times a day, for the rest of your life. You have to try to start eating what is prepared. Besides, I don’t even work in the kitchen. You should be asking the kitchen staff not me,” Howl chides. Howl along with a few other caretakers are the only ones who call me by my first name. All of the residents call me Domino. I earned the nickname my first month in this joint when I cleared the lot and won 32 pudding cups. Now I willingly give my pudding away and only play for higher bets. The pearl necklace I’m wearing right now belonged to Janet last week. It’s mine now.

“Oh come on Howl. Those ladies wouldn’t know how to make a grilled cheese to save their life. Bernice always puts too much butter; there isn’t anybody that likes a wet sandwich. And Paula skimps on the cheese. So it has to be you Howl. You make the best grilled cheese I’ve ever tasted in my seventy-six years. I swear I can see the moon when I bite into it. And if I don’t get something to eat soon, I think I’m going to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Oh no. It’s already coming, Howl. I feel faint,” I whisper dramatically placing my hand to my heart and then pressing it against my temple.

Howl crosses his arms looking unimpressed, waiting for my dramatics to end. “You do know cheese doesn’t actually come from the moon right?” He asks with his thick eyebrows pulled together in a downward scrunch.

“Listen here kid,” I start but Howl tries to interject at the kid part. I don’t care if he’s in his twenties. I’ve got at least fifty years on him. I hold my hand up to stop him so I can finish. “I will give you thirty dollars for a grilled cheese. Right here. Right now,” I barter. Howl knows I need the money to bet in dominoes. He knows it’s my only sense of happiness in this blasted place and that I don’t have any family that will be stopping by to bring me any cash any time soon. I’ve got him right where I want him.

“What would you do if I ever did take your money?” Howl asks but he doesn’t let me answer. “I suppose you’d turn me in claiming I stole it if I had to bet.” Although his words could be seen as an insult I’m smiling with him. Howl knows me well. He knows me just as good as I know him. He’d never take money from me. I would never turn him in for taking it. I would likely if it was someone else but I wouldn’t do that to Howl. Then who would make me grilled cheeses?

“So?” I ask with a tilted half grin.

“Alright but this is the last time. I’ll have to make you two. I looked at the dinner menu and I already know you won’t eat what they’re serving tonight,” Howl gives in with a shake of his head.

“God bless you child. I don’t know how I could survive this place if it weren’t for your miraculous grilled cheese making gift,” I compliment clapping him on the back. I know he is amused and flattered despite his head shakes and eye rolls.

I follow Howl all the way to the kitchen door. I take my post being lookout while he dives inside to make me not one but two grilled cheeses. I can hardly believe my victory. I am about to feast like a queen.

I don’t have to keep lookout for Howl. He is allowed to be in the kitchen. I have to keep lookout for my own self-interest. If any of the other residents find out that I have a personal supplier they’ll sniff Howl out and take him for themselves. Then I really will starve to death.

“Hey Domino. Ready for the game tonight?” I hear a rumbly voice call out. I look to my left to see Edgar slowly making his way up the hall on his walker. A terrible scrapping sound follows as the bottom of his walker scoots across the floor.

“Yeah, I sure am. I’m just getting some overdue pudding cups now to start a low bet with tonight before all the heavy players show up after crochet class,” I lie before nodding down towards his walker that is still creating a terrible sound as he nears me. “What happened to your tennis balls Edgar?”

Edgar pauses in his ascent. He looks down at his ball-less walker legs and then raises his eyes back to me with a sly grin. ”Lost them in the tournament last night. Rhonda’s balls were turning black so it was either give them up or my reading glasses.” Edgar shrugs, his smile only growing. “Don’t worry though. I plan on winning them back tonight,” he says with promise.

“If you say so,” I remark but I have my doubts. Rhonda is number three on our leader board right now and Edgar hasn’t even

managed to make it onto the board yet. “Good luck, I’ll see you later on tonight.” He needs all the luck he can get.

I watch Edgar, well more like listen, as he waves goodbye then scoots his walker around the corner with the ear blistering noise following him. Maybe I will win his tennis balls back for him tonight. If not to be nice then to at least shut that awful racket up. I think I can feel blood sliding down my ear now.

“Alright Devorah two grilled cheeses wrapped and ready for you to quietly enjoy in your room,” Howl instructs but he is still smiling. He won’t admit it but he knows his job has been more entertaining since I’ve gotten here. He may deny it but I know I’m his favorite.

“Bless you Howl for your service. I am eternally grateful for you,” I chatter reaching up to take my two individually wrapped grilled cheeses. 

“You may compliment like an angel but I’ve seen you speak and take like the devil Devorah. You don’t fool me,” Howl comments with a knowing closed lip smile and a quirked eyebrow. He smiles because he thinks he has me figured out. I smile because he’s right.

I thank Howl once more before heading off to my private room. I sort through my winnings deciding on what to bet with tonight. I pack up three bracelets, two books, twenty-five dollars cash, a puzzle, and a pack of glitter pens. Along with my betting items I pack my lucky box of marked dominoes. I am feeling prosperous for tonight.

I flip the light switch off, climb into bed, and click the TV on. The sound of recorded applause fills my room as a wheel is turned by a young woman in red. I unwrap my first grilled cheese with unsteady hands. I inhale deeply before taking a generous bite. As the only tolerable flavor in this hellhole graces my tongue I smile at the sight of the moon. The second bite brings forth the stars to surround it. Howl created a universe for me to enjoy. 

September 08, 2022 20:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

31 comments

Cynthia Prokarym
14:26 Sep 12, 2022

I loved this story and the characters you created. The dry humor was refreshing also.

Reply

S. E. Mary
15:20 Sep 12, 2022

Thank you! This comment means a lot because I am trying to add more humor in my pieces. It is definitely not my strong suit just yet but I will keep trying.

Reply

Cynthia Prokarym
22:45 Sep 12, 2022

I'm glad to hear that my comment felt validating to you. You truly are doing an awesome job. 🙂 I enjoyed the story so much. Keep writing ✍️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keila Aartila
14:21 Sep 12, 2022

Love this story! Excellent imagery - my only nit-pick might be the too sparse use of commas - but a charming story which I really enjoyed!

Reply

S. E. Mary
15:18 Sep 12, 2022

Thank you and thank you for the advice! I also picked out places that could've definitely benefited from having a comma.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
13:29 Sep 12, 2022

Love the subtle comment about the marked dominos. Very good

Reply

S. E. Mary
13:56 Sep 12, 2022

I am so glad you caught that! It is what ties in the beginning about hatting where she's at and what she's doing. But in the end she is still a bored old lady that enjoys being number one at dominoes and having the nick-name.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Francois Kosie
18:36 Sep 09, 2022

A delightful story! I love the understanding they have with one another.

Reply

S. E. Mary
12:26 Sep 12, 2022

Thank you! I love Howl and Domino :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ian T. Smyth
06:02 Sep 09, 2022

This was one short but sweet. Now I’m hungry for grilled cheese!

Reply

S. E. Mary
12:27 Sep 12, 2022

Thank you! I can’t say I don’t know want one also now!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M B
17:34 Sep 28, 2022

I enjoyed this, your elderly character was a joy to read, and her love of Howl's grilled cheese sandwiches was well done. Nice job once again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Brenda Liam
00:20 Sep 16, 2022

DO YOU WANT YOUR EX LOVER BACK URGENTLY AFTER BREAKUP/DIVORCE EVEN IF YOUR SITUATION SEEMS HOPELESS! CONTACT DR CHRIST: CALL/WHATSAPP: +2348111123690 OR EMAIL: LIGHTERDAYSENT@GMAIL.COM DR CHRIST IS CERTAINLY THE BEST SPELL CASTER ONLINE AND HIS RESULT IS 100% GUARANTEE. Hello everyone my name is BRENDA LIAM i want to give a testimony to the Gods of DR CHRIST for helping me to get my ex back. After 3 Years in a relationship with my Husband, my Husband started going out with other girls and showing me cold love, on several occasions he th...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Graham Kinross
02:19 Sep 14, 2022

They’re retired, why not gamble! I like the premise and the characters. Quite funny too.

Reply

S. E. Mary
06:37 Sep 14, 2022

Thanks Graham! What could be a better use of time for a 76 year old woman besides gambling :)

Reply

Graham Kinross
08:37 Sep 14, 2022

They get up to all sorts I bet, it’s a second childhood. Freedom to do things that work and the etiquette of youth made impossible. There was a news story I heard about years ago where an old couple were selling fake lost artefacts to collectors and museums, made by their very talented son in the garden shed. There’s a documentary about it called the The Artful Codgers.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel Allen
20:18 Sep 13, 2022

Really enjoyed this. I loved the characters and the relationships, but I loved the idea of a retirement home dominated by an underground dominoes gambling ring even more.

Reply

S. E. Mary
20:42 Sep 13, 2022

Thank You Daniel! My Nana taught me how to play dominoes as a child and I still believe to this day that she marked them. She has always told us that we're not allowed to send her to an "old folks home" because she'll have to take over and start running it. Therefore this is how I imagine she would be in an retirement home.

Reply

Daniel Allen
20:53 Sep 13, 2022

Haha, your Nana sounds like a very interesting woman. Domino is a great character!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laurie Roy
00:18 Sep 13, 2022

This is me when I get old!

Reply

S. E. Mary
00:30 Sep 13, 2022

lol love it! :) I admire Domino’s spirit.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L.M. Lydon
20:07 Sep 12, 2022

The narrator is so sassy! She's a lot of fun to read.

Reply

S. E. Mary
20:46 Sep 12, 2022

Thank you! I was channeling my Nana's energy. Everyone refers to her as Nana Big because she honestly is rather gangster with her ways. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ian Matonti
18:35 Sep 12, 2022

You created such wonderful characters in a short span. I love the little world you created and the touches of humor are just right. Well done!

Reply

S. E. Mary
18:45 Sep 12, 2022

Thank you! I cracked up while writing Edgar. Imagining him scrapping his walker down the hall with a cheeky grin just got to me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel E Gagné
17:51 Sep 12, 2022

Very good! When I read the prompt, I thought it more like a competition between two people fighting for grilled cheese dominance. But I really liked your take on it. Your story made it feel like the sandwich was contraband and resulted in a more comedic and light-hearted story.

Reply

S. E. Mary
18:07 Sep 12, 2022

Thank you! A competition never even crossed my mind but I do love that also. That could have been quite entraining. The words "grilled cheese dominance" are cracking me up right now ;) love it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Panasitti
16:41 Sep 12, 2022

This reminds me of characters and activities in institutional environments where I've had the misfortune of being a captive. Gambling, residents pushing the boundaries of relationships with staff, distasteful food. You've depicted the atmosphere and the struggle against ennui very well.

Reply

S. E. Mary
17:12 Sep 12, 2022

I originally did plan for the setting to be in a mental health facility and the ending of the story was to be much darker. I chose to change directions just because the darker I write the heavier I feel for days afterwards. I am pleased to know it still portrayed the feel without having to write so darkly. Sometimes we all just need a break from it.

Reply

Mike Panasitti
21:52 Sep 12, 2022

In full agreement. Darkness usually only gives birth to more darkness. This seems to be the modus operandi for many creative types. And (without being blind to the problem) we do need a break from it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
17:40 Jan 10, 2023

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.