0 comments

Fantasy Adventure Mystery



Simone Lewis was brought up by Kurt and Corey, a couple in their mid-thirties. The boys had been together for ten years, before they seriously thought about a child. A mutual friend named Gracie, offered to be a surrogate. The little girl was born on the 7th of July 1990. She had Kurt’s bright blue eyes.


It never bothered Simone that she was being raised by men. She lived with two loving and supportive parents. That was more than she could say for some of the kids she knew. Her best friend for example, only had her mother Harley. Neither of them knew where her father Jeff had run off to. But despite this, Melina was a well-behaved and generous girl.


The small circle of friends they shared were remarkably close. It had been like that from the start. Simone couldn’t imagine her life without any of them. As her sixteenth birthday approached, Simone began to have the sense that something strange was about to happen. She could not say for sure where this feeling came from, but it put her on edge as the days went by…


###

Simone woke up to the smell of fresh coffee and chocolate chip muffins straight from the oven. Kurt brought her special breakfast into her room, balancing everything on a tray. Corey followed with a camera. They practically shouted, “Happy Birthday!” Simone yawned and rubbed the sleep from her eyes. “Jeez, couldn’t you at least wait until I looked halfway decent?”


“Darling you’re always gorgeous.” “Agreed.” “You two are just biased.” “Perhaps.” Looking at her parents as she tore her muffin into smaller pieces, Simone wondered how on earth she got so lucky. “Have I told you guys lately that you’re the best?” They both laughed and gave her warm hugs. “We know.”


“So, what’s the plan for today?” “A visit to Grandma and Grandpa. Lunch with the rest of our family. Then you have a party later. We shall be out of the house, but Corey and I know we can trust you kids to behave.” “Of course.”


Corey slipped an arm around his partner’s waist. His hazel eyes twinkled mischievously. “We can make our own fun.” Simone shook her head, smiling. Kurt was more reserved than Corey and less likely to show affection in front of people. But any fool could see how much they loved each other.


Simone was hoping that her parents would make it official and marry someday. There were of course certain residents in Sanford Hollow who disapproved of their relationship. But people like that weren’t worth the time or effort to worry about. Prejudice of any kind was not welcome in the Lewis household.


At school, Simone used to be teased for having gay parents. Her friends bravely defended her when they could. The principal found out what was going on and put a stop to the bullying. The lady herself was familiar with this sort of trouble.

Her daughter Kate had come out several years ago, so Mrs Foster could empathize with Kurt and Corey. Talking to the other parents helped to smooth things over. Although Simone eventually forgave her tormentors, she never forgot them. It wasn’t in her nature.


###

She stood at the lounge entrance, taking in the atmosphere. It was your typical teenage birthday party; loud music and lots of people. There were drinks and snacks in the Lewis family’s kitchen area. Plus, no parental supervision. Kurt and Corey made sure to have at least two date nights a week. They’d already celebrated the day with their daughter. The couple deserved some time to themselves.


A massive cookies and cream cake was wheeled out. Simone’s friends and schoolmates sang her Happy Birthday. She thanked everyone and reached for the knife to cut some slices. As she did so, the lights flickered then went off. The whole room was plunged into darkness.


Somebody screamed. Another person told them to calm down. Several phone lights gave just enough illumination for Simone to look outside. The entire block was pitch black. She jumped back in shock as shadowy figures moved towards her house. She heard a frail voice murmuring words which sounded like complete nonsense.


A very cold breeze swept around the room. Her party guests had become frozen like statues. She shut her eyes, quickly opening them again. No, it wasn’t her imagination. Her own mobile was upstairs in her room. So, she went to get it, being as stealthy as she could.


A loud boom shook the house. Those shadows were trying to break in. They must have been the ones who cut the power. The wood Corey had built the door with was strong. But it probably wouldn’t hold out for much longer. Simone breathed a sigh of relief when she saw her phone had adequate battery power.


She typed a message to Kurt as footsteps approached her room. Without a second’s hesitation, she grabbed the sword from the shelf above her bed. She then waited in the dark, allowing her eyes to adjust. Two shapes tiptoed inside. She threw herself at them. The blade swung sharply and connected with the intruders. She slipped in between them and took off running.


Kurt and Corey’s bedroom had a balcony connected to their window. Simone had nearly reached it when someone tackled her to the ground. She lost grip of the sword. A stern female voice said “Enough! Help the girl to her feet.” Simone saw the rest of the figures had been wearing hoods. Ordinary human faces surrounded her.


She immediately recognized Gracie and was a little confused. The woman smiled reassuringly. “Relax, we’re not going to hurt you.” “What is all this? Are they okay downstairs?” “Certainly. Time has just stopped for your friends. Temporarily of course. We’ve come to collect you. There is something important that you must be made aware of. We also need to leave right away. Pack some clothes and things.”


She did so, questions flying around her head. Kurt used to regale her with stories of warriors who battled creatures in another dimension. Maybe they were real after all. The man who was second in command told her his name. “Marcus.” The others introduced themselves as they left the house. Another figure in a dark burgundy robe waited for them.


He was an elderly man, with a white beard and dark eyes. He stared at her and smirked. “Simone Lewis. We meet at last.” He held out a hand for her to shake. It was cold. “Please be quiet everybody. I need to concentrate.” The nonsense words were being spoken again. Simone guessed that they were an incantation. Yet even she was stunned at the shining golden portal appearing in the middle of the road.


There were no thoughts of turning back. Her very existence now depended on a life- long friend a group of total strangers. Regardless of where they ended up, she knew she was in good hands. Simone still had no clue what was through that doorway. But she moved her feet forward and held her head high.


Gracie smiled again. “You’re a lot like Kurt.” “I assume that’s a good thing.” “In a place like Dark Earth? It’s the best thing you can be. Alert and confident. Once we’ve reached a haven of safety, I promise I will tell you everything. I’ll also contact your dads.” “Okay. I’ll hold you to that. Let’s go.”


To Be Continued...

September 07, 2020 05:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.