The underestimated

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy

“HELP!!!!!!!!” cried Jacob, as Dr. Drevious was strangling him. I was powerless to help, and I just had to watch as his neck started snapping…

2 years later

“LOOK!!! IT IS CAPTAIN HEX!!!” shouted a little kid. That is right. I am Hex, and I am 21 years old. After that terrifying Jacob Experience, instead of sitting in my room weeping all day, I became a superhero. Only problem? I did not have superpowers. I trained my body to a point where I can run up to 30 miles per hour, lift 200 pounds worth of weights, and am extremely flexible. That is not enough, though. Not nearly enough. My other comrades, Silver, Frans, and Gnasher all have superpowers. Silver can turn anything (including himself) into silver. Frans has superstength, and has a weapon called Excalimore, which can turn into any weapon he wants, from a needle to sew his clothes, to atomic weapons. Gnasher can bite into anything, and his teeth can turn into anything as long as he has seen it before. You see how under qualified I am? They all have super cool powers, and I am stuck with nothing.

So here is an update. We just got an alert. Dr. Drevious is on the move. We have been tracking him for years,  but when your opponent has super strength, super speed, teleportation, and psychic powers, he is not very easy to track. I have been working tirelessly to track him, to avenge my best friend. 

We are at his portable base now. He should be coming out right about………..now! You see how terrifying he looks? No? HE HAS A FREAKING MACHINE GUN AND MACHETE FOR HIS HANDS!! Yes, he is a bionic human. People say that he used to be very charming, until a bazooka blew him up. Now, he always wears a mask to cover up his messed up face, and had to have surgery to have most of his organs removed. He was dying, so the doctors took a risk and put the latest technology in him, and sort of revived him. He now tries to kill all soldiers, and everyone who was a soldier, which is about everyone, and only spares the doctors. 

He is coming. “BATTLE FORMATIONS, EVERYONE!!!!!!” As he gets closer, our leader gives us the signal, and we charge. He easily takes out our weak troops, and he is fighting our troops now. “EVERYONE STAY IN FORMATION!!!!!” our leader yells, but it was too late. Everyone charged. Silver immediately turned himself and us into silver. That way, it will take a little longer for Dr. Drevious to kill us. Fran picks up some boulders, and hurls them at Dr. Drevious, to distract him. He had Excalimore turn into a bazooka to kill his minions. Gnasher was still in our vehicle, waiting for us to lure Dr. Drevious into the trap he used his teeth to make. I will come later, as I will try to lure him to our vehicle. Oop. I guess he finished off all our other troops, because here he comes now!!!! I race to our vehicle, hoping he will give chase. Good news, he does. Bad news, he catches up immediately. He starts choking me, because that is his favorite way to kill. I feel the blood rushing to my head. I am slowly starting to lose consciousness. I am fading, and fading…………..

I wake up, and my vision is blurry. I can still hear though, and it appears we have failed in catching Dr. Drevious. We were giving chase, but we lost him. Whoah! What was that noise behind us? OH MY GOD!!! HE TELEPORTED BEHIND US AND IS BREAKING THROUGH THE WINDOW!!!! We try to hold him off, but he just teleports behind everyone, and knocks them in the head. Suddenly, I am the only one.

“I let you escape last time when your friend…. What was his name? Oh yeah, Gnasher bit me on the fingers. Then he made his teeth into a motorcycle and drove you away. I will not let that happen this time!” he said. “Why do you want me so much?” I reply. “Don’t act dumb! You know who your ancestors are, right?” “ Well, my grandfather was Heru…” “ DON’T MENTION THAT NAME!!!!!” “Why?” I reply. “Well, since you are going to die anyways, I suppose I can tell you about your secret power,” he said. “ Secret power? I have no power.” “ Oh yes you do, and it is a very deadly one at that. It could possibly even kill me. Luckily, your grandfather did not have time to teach you before he died.” “ What was the power?” I ask. “ You should have the power to control all the planets in the world!!” “ Wait. Woah woah woah!! Are you sure?” “ I am pretty sure. Enough small talk. I am going to defeat you once and for all!” “ Are you sure about that? While you were busy talking, my friends have woken up, and here they are now!” Gnasher used the teeth cage to trap him inside. After he had been taken away, I told my friends about what happened. Silver, the brains of our team, said he might remember some books about my superpower in the library. We checked, and sure enough, there were books. We figured out how to unlock my superpower. I needed to go through extreme amounts of pain every day for a week. We decided to go to the mountain Gartsnow, because we did not want to disturb our neighbors with extreme howling. We decided on a strategy. For every day of the week, there will be a different punishment. The first, is pouring lava down my back. Second, step on the Arabian Striped Gaunts. They are a native species to Mount Gartsnow. They will cause internal bleeding, extreme foot pain, and nausea when stepped on. The third day, we decided to cut off one of the heads of the Three Headed Bengal Tiger. He is extremely vicious, not to mention super strong. Even stronger than Dr. Drevious! The third day, we will go through a mountain that is -1000 degrees. The fourth, we will stuff burning nails down my mouth. The fifth day, we will attempt to climb The Steel Wall. It is a wall that is super slippery with a bunch of chainsaws attached to it. If I fall, I will just fall on another chainsaw. The sixth day, I have to eat the Explosive Peppers. No one has eaten one willingly. It is usually used as a torture device, as it explodes as soon as it touches your stomach. The last and final day, I will have to face each and one of my friends, and they will all have a different way of dealing with me……. To be continued.

June 27, 2020 14:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.