Maev and the Dawn of War

Submitted into Contest #203 in response to: Start your story in the middle of the action.... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Fantasy Science Fiction

The smoke stung Erylis’ eyes while a dense choking dust swirled about the battlefield such that all she could see were vague shadows of her opponents. But she knew they were there. Surging and kicking, hitting, and smashing their way through her troops.  

Letting out a baleful scream the likes that sounded alien to her own ears she brought her broadsword down blindly. It crunched on an opponent's helmet, embedding it in a divot under the force of the blow. She didn’t stop to remove the body from her sword. Instead, she heaved her sword back flinging the limp body into the fog.  

“We must reform our lines, or we will be lost!,” she heard Anker shout off to her right over the clamor that permeated the air.  

Their strategy had worked well enough. As the CommonWealth cruisers completed their jump from Quantum a squad of dragons engaged preventing the ships from entering further into Vestroya territory. The goal was to stall their progress and force the CommonWealth army to a ground attack on the first moon in the Vestroya System, Raith, far enough on the outskirts of the system to allow her father time to rally the rest of the clans. 

When the CommonWealth troop transports had begun to descend to the moon, she had sent out a company to harass them. Erylis had held out hope that seeing dragons soaring through the air that perhaps the humans would second guess their plans to conquer Vestroya. That wish didn’t last long as ship after ship entered the atmosphere and smashed down onto the moon. 

She had called back the first volley of troops to regroup. They needed everyone accounted for when it came time to charge. In space, flying could be an advantage in dragon-to-ship combat but not in ground combat. Being in full dragon form and aloft left her troops exposed to surface to air artillery. On the ground the challenge fighting humanoids was that they were like hundreds of thousands of fire ants. They flooded the field, and the dragons were too few to counter, so it forced them to transform to their smaller form dragon born form. While still massive compared to standard humans it allowed the dragons to fight as a cohesive unit.  

Before the CommonWealth troops could pour out of their ship transports, she had signaled the charge. The vanguard struck with a resounding fury sending the first wave of CommonWealth troops scrambling. It hadn’t been enough. As more troops landed, she was forced to fall back. And now here she was, in the thick of chaos, moving out of a sheer instinct for survival than with any thought of the combat training she had received. 

“Cover me!,” she ordered Anker. He stepped astride her swinging his maul to clear a semi-circle in front. 

Erylis slipped off her helmet, tilted her head back, opened her maw and let out a blinding eruption of fiery red and orange flames in a vicious howl. The fire shot straight up into the sky for hundreds of meters. Time seemed to slip to a crawl as the CommonWealth solders paused in awe of the spectacle. 

Anker took the opportunity to drop to his knees and roll to the side. Erylis then turned her gaze down and onto the CommonWealth troops. Those closest to Erylis saw only a white glow before being engulfed in a fierce and wild blaze. The next line gasped in wonder at the sheer beauty of the dancing flames before they too were consumed. 

The dragon forces to Erylis right and left rushed the gap meeting at her sides to form an arrow point. Erylis turned to the young standard-bearer that huddled close behind her and grabbed the flag from his grasp. She turned, raised the flag up over her head and waved it back and forth signaling for the two nobles, Lavantys and Hogarth, that waited up on the hill to lead their clans in their planned counterattack. 

Her eyes went wide as they turned on their mounts and started to lead their troops away from the battlefield.  

What? What are they doing?, Erylis thought desperately as she felt a surge against her back. Where are they going? 

There wasn’t time to rationalize as she felt another upswell smack against her. She spun about to see undulating wave upon wave of CommonWealth troops flowing into the fray. Behind them tanks and heavy artillery rolled into position. 

“We can’t hold them,” she observed dismally. She then turned to her right and pulled Anker close. 

“If this is the end then so be it. That at least I lived, served, and died as my father would have wanted!” she bellowed. 

“My lady?” 

But before Anker could act, Erylis raised her right leg and planted it on the helmet of a CommonWealth soldier. She then lifted off with her sword held high over her head as she released a torrent of crackling fire into the heart of the on-rushing troops. 

“No!,” shouted Anker with anguish and futility as he found himself being pushed back amongst the onslaughts of booming flashes of white and eruptions that engulfed the area as the CommonWealth tanks began shelling the area. 

“My Lord, we must fall back!,” came a shout from his right. 

“No, we cannot leave the Princess! We cannot!” 

“She is gone my Lord! She’s gone.” 

********* 

“The moon is secure. Our scouts report that the Vestroyans have retreated here,” Rocroi Jac said pointing at a holographic planet floating over a makeshift table labeled, Kintzheim. “This is the furthest out of the planets before entering into the heart of the Vestroyan system.” 

“Then we shall strike there,” interrupted a man from the far end of the table wearing a tri-corn hat with a sweeping brim, navy coat with a large label, yellow trousers, red stockings, a white tie, black leather calvary boots and a pressed white shirt. 

“With all due respect General Montreux,” Rocroi responded, “we believe Kintzheim to be heavily fortified. Further, it begins a string of other fortress-like planets that run from here to here,” she said point at the bottom of the projected map and to the top. “Attacking this would be like charging at a wall of pikes.” 

“Isn’t that what your vaunted Tercios are supposed to do?” he harumphed. “What with being a moving castle taking on a line of planets shouldn’t prove any more difficult than it was to take this moon.” 

“I’m not sure I share your estimation of the cost it took the Kingdom to seize the moon, sir,” Rocroi bristled. “The battleship Yamato was destroyed when the Vestroyans surprised us after the fleet came out of Quantum. The Scharnhorst received heavy damage and may not be available to us for some time. That doesn’t even count the two divisions that were lost when we made landfall.” 

“Enough Maestre de Campo Jac!,” Montreux said raising his hand to cut her off. “As you may recall the Scharnhorst is my ship and it deterred that feeble first assault by those bloody dragons as if swatting away a fly. And she will be ready for our attack on Kintzheim.” 

“General, it is my opinion that...” 

“When I want your opinion, I will give it to you. Now, see to securing this highly strategic site so that we may begin our assault on the interior of the Vestroyan Empire.” 

Before Rocroi could respond a soldier called out from behind her. 

“Maestre de Campo Jac?” 

Rocroi turned to look at the man who saluted by raising his fist to his chest. 

“Yes, Sargento mayor Blyhe?” 

“I think you best come take a look at this ma’am,” he said. 

“Excuse me General,” Rocroi said, tipped her head to Montreux then quickly pivoted on her heel and followed the soldier.  

“Here it is ma’am,” Blyhe said after they had moved to the center of the field.  

There in the mud knelt a teenage dragon. His uniform was shredded and what remained was bloodied, whether from his own or others she was unsure, and covered in smatterings of mud. In one shivering arm he held up the tattered remnants of the Vestroyan banner. In the other he cradled the head of an adult dragon. 

What was left of the dragon's armor was dented, cracked, and broken but still Rocroi could tell by the craftsmanship that this dragon was a high-ranking officer in the Vestroyan army. To her right a sword was shoved through the chest of a CommonWealth solder and embedded in a rock. 

“Who is she?” asked Rocroi. 

“From what I could understand from the boy,” Blyhe said motioning to the kneeling dragon, “is that she is some sort of princess.”  

“Ayrlihs of the, of the d-deaths,” the dragon added. 

“Is she alive?” 

“Appears that way ma’am.” 

“Get a medical unit over here that’s familiar with dragon biology stat. Once she’s stable then get her off the battlefield and to a secure location. I want a team of your best people around her twenty-four seven. No one is to see her without my permission. Also, keep me informed of her status. I don’t need a princess dying on us.” 

Blyhe was already relaying orders as Rocroi knelt to examine the princess. 

“Erylis Rykeld. Bringer of Death and first daughter of Corvallis the Eternal,” she said in disbelief. Not exactly the place or attire I’d have expected for a princess, she thought in subtle admiration. 

“And what shall we do with him?” Blyhe asked motioning to the Vestroyan standard-bearer. 

“What is going on here?” asked Montreux as he strode up with several attendants in tow. 

“I’m sorry General?” Rocroi asked. 

“Who are these people?” he asked as he waved a hand at the two dragons. 

“The boy is the Vestroyan standard-bearer, and the woman is Princess Erylis Rykeld.” 

Montreux eyes lit up at the mention of the dragon’s title. 

“What a coup! Such a valuable prisoner will be quite the bargaining chip when we demand her father to surrender.” 

“Or what?” but Rocroi asked but she already knew the answer. 

“Well, we kill her of course! She is still alive?” he asked, peering over from a safe distance. 

“General, King Corvallis won’t care what you threaten him with. He’d send every Vestroyan, man, woman, and child at us before he surrendered.” 

“Yes, well, we shall see, won’t we? In the meantime, get her up to my ship and dispose of that silly little standard bearer.” 

“I beg your pardon sir?” 

“I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear Maestre de Campo. Take the girl to my ship post haste and kill the boy.” 

“He’s just a kid, sir.” 

“While that child may appear to be 10, he’s most likely over 1,000 years old! And he,” Montreux said jabbing a finger at the dragon boy, “is an enemy combatant. We don’t have the time or inclination to take prisoners of war. Now, dispose of him or I will!” he commanded and started to stalk away. 

Rocroi clenched her teeth and had to fight to steady her breathing. She really wanted to beat the piss out of Montreux. This wasn’t the way to act honorably. It went against everything she believed in, everything they had taught her at the Academy and during her training as a Tercio. 

“No.” 

“What is that?” Montreux asked spinning about. 

“These are my prisoners, and I will do with them as I see fit.” 

Montreux face muscles twitched in irritation, and he managed a feigned smile. 

“Maestre de Campo Jac, must I remind you that I am the senior officer on this campaign?” 

“The Tercio doesn’t report to you, General. We are appointed directly by the King. We are here in support of the mission, but you do not supply the orders to myself or my company.” 

“Are you mad?” Montreux asked flustered as his face turned red. 

“Sargento mayor Blyhe?” 

“Yes, ma’am!” Blyhe said as he stepped forward and saluted. 

“See to it that my orders are followed through. If there is any interference or delay let me know at once.” 

“Yes ma’am!” 

Montreux stepped up to Rocroi so that his face was just inches from hers. 

“Do you understand that neither of these two can be permitted to leave here alive?” he asked her in a harsh whisper. 

“And why is that General?”  

A peculiar look took over Montreux’s face. Rocroi couldn’t tell if he was going to be sick or if this was what he looked like when he was happy.  

“Oh, did the King not mention this to you?” said Montreux bitingly. He then leaned forward so that his mouth was close to her ear. 

“This war is an entire fabrication.” 

Stunned, Rocroi retreated away from Montreux, but he grabbed her shoulder and pulled her in closer. 

“Oh yes,” he said seething. “Oh sure, there were incidents along the frontier but nothing like the sorties described in the press. Vestroyans burning down villages and eating our people. All false.” 

“You’re lying.” 

“Am I? The King sought this war because he wants Vestroya under his heel. Nothing more. If you don’t believe me then ask them,” he said motioning to the two dragons with his chin. “But know this, neither of them will leave this planet alive. I cannot allow it.” 

“If there’s nothing further, sir, then I shall commence with your orders of ensuring the moon is set-up as a forward position before starting on our tactical plans for attacking the interior of the Vestroyan Kingdom,” she said yanking her arm away from Montreux’s grasp. 

“Blyhe, on me,” she said. As the two walked away Montreux took off his hat and tossed it at the ground while he cursed Rocroi. 

“Permission to speak freely ma’am?” 

“Always Blyhe.” 

“Do you think that was a wise move, pissin’ all over the General like that?” 

“I’m not one for politics Blyhe, you know that.” 

“Right but you don’t want to go makin’ enemies. Especially ones as powerful as him.” 

“I can deal with the Montreux’s of the world, but I have a bigger problem.” 

“Oh yeah, and what’s that?” 

Rocroi paused as she slid her key card on the panel next to the door on her quarters. A light flicked green, and the door slid open. 

“The kid isn’t going to last the night. We need to get him out of here.” 

“But I put my best men on him and the Princess. No one’s getting near them.” 

“Montreux’s has more men here then we do, and I don’t want things to escalate.” 

“What’d you have in mind?” 

“Gather a small team and bring Erylis in front of a Tribunal on Corbolesegurra. They can decide what is the best course of action.” 

“And the boy?” 

“Secure me a ship. Something small and fast,” she said as they stepped inside. 

“Right,” Blyhe nodded. “But what for?” 

“I’ll take him.” 

“Where on Earths are you going to take a bloody dragon?” 

“I have a place where I can stash him for the time being. At least until I find out who and where his parents are.” 

“His parents are the enemy; you do realize that don’t you? They both could’ve been on that battlefield and are dead already.” 

Rocroi nodded grimly. Blyhe knew that set expression from Rocroi all too well. There was no changing her mind. 

“So, when are you planning on leaving?” 

“Soon as I pack up my gear.” 

“You’re right mad, you know that?” Blyhe said as he stepped out the door. 

“Tell me something I don’t already know,” she said with a smile. 

“See you at the landing bay in 5,” Blyhe said, and the door slid shut. 

What on Earths am I doing?, thought Rocroi shaking her head. The princess and the boy were her enemies. Montreux wasn’t wrong about that. If she went through with this, the best-case scenario is that her career in the CommonWealth army would be over. She’d be dishonorably discharged, which meant she’d be hard pressed to find a job anywhere and would have to go work on her parents’ farm. That didn’t seem too bad. The worst case was that Montreux had her put up on charges of treason which was punishable by death. 

Rocroi pressed a button on her wrist and her battle armor retreated away leaving her in her combat fatigues. She cinched on a belt and shoulder harness. In the webbing were several pouches that held everything she would need for at least the next forty-right hours from a rucksack, ammunition/weapon ancillaries, entrenching tools, bayonet, food, and water, a portable stove and communications equipment. She took one last look around her quarters before heading out. 

It was a quick jog to the landing bay. There she found Blyhe with a wide grin spitting his rugged face. Behind him sat a sleek, finely polished HN J-10 class Firebird fighter craft. 

“What’re you so happy about?” Rocroi asked him. 

“Just taking joy in life's little pleasures.” 

“Where’s the kid?” 

“He’s on-board but we had to sedate him. He wouldn’t leave the princess for anything.” 

“Understandable. So, where’s my ride?” 

“You’re looking at her.” Blyhe said waving to the Firebird. 

Rocroi extended her arm and Blyhe took her forearm. 

“It's an honor serving with you Sargento mayor Blyhe.” 

“The honor is mine ma’am.” 

Rocroi hastened up the boarding plank into the Firebird and to the cockpit. The ship’s lift engines ignited. Blyhe took several steps back and shielded his eyes. The Firebird then rotated towards the launch pad and began to taxi. 

“Hey! Hey! That’s the General’s ship!” shouted a catapult officer as he ran up to Blyhe. 

“That it is.”  

“It’s not on the flight schedule. Where the bloody hell is it going?” 

“I dunno but I reckon it’s going to get there right quick,” said Blyhe grinning. 

And with that the tail engine glowed a bright orange as the fighter jet sped down the runway, up into the air and vanished.

June 24, 2023 01:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mary Bendickson
00:56 Jun 25, 2023

Lots of firy action.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.