Summertime

Submitted into Contest #262 in response to: Set your story during the hottest day of the year.... view prompt

62 comments

Fiction


“Lawd almighty.” Aunt Velma lifts the hem of her cotton housedress and lets the fan blow air under the fabric. I look away, could have done without that picture. Fishing a washcloth from the bucket with the last of the ice water, I wring it out and hand it to her, get another one to rub over my face, neck and wrists.


“What’s keeping Junior?” She grumbles. “He’s taking his good ole time. Bet he’s hanging around Arnold’s, soaking up the cool air.”


“I guess.” It’s too hot to talk. It’s too hot to think. I press the cold washcloth behind my knees and sigh. It won’t stay cold for long, but each moment is welcome.


The window unit died first thing this morning. Uncle Junior is supposed to know someone who knows someone who can get him a good deal on another one. It’s 110 in the shade. The air is so thick you could wring it for a pitcher of lemonade. Too bad the old fridge can’t make ice fast enough.


While we’re waiting for Uncle Junior to come back, I put pans filled with ice cubes in front of the oscillating fan. I saw it done in a movie once. Liz Taylor and Paul Newman. It didn’t work all that well for them either. But then they were looking to get all hot and bothered in a fight. I’m too wilted to carry a grudge.


I return the now warm washcloth to the bucket and grab another.


“I remember the summer of ‘53.” Velma, head back against the high-backed chair, eyes closed, reminisces. “It was hot then too. But we were younger then. We’d walk to the creek. Spent the whole day in the water, till the sun went down. Not that it cooled off much ...” Her voice trails off. Either she is remembering or has fallen asleep. I’ll leave her to it and try not to breathe.


“That’s when daddy left us. Said living down here was a life sentence and he was due for parole.” She lifts her hair off her neck. “Thomas and I figured he’d be back. Figured he’d miss momma and us and come rushing home. Each day we’d ask, ‘When’s daddy coming back?’ Momma’d shrug and turn back to the stove.” Velma shakes her head. “Even when winter came, he didn’t. Thought for sure he’d come for Christmas, bring us gifts. But he didn’t.”


She falls silent again. I hadn’t known grandpa had walked out. I’d always thought he up and died, sudden-like.


“Did he ever?” I ask,


“Did he ever what? Come back? No. Not then. It wasn’t till … I think it was the summer of ‘73, or maybe ‘74. Momma got word that daddy had passed. She had him shipped here. Put him next to his mamma and daddy and brother Billy Joe. We put momma next to him, back in ‘97.”


She wrings out another washcloth and wipes her brow. “He had himself another family up there. Kids too.”


“You ever gone looking for them, then?”


“Not me, Thomas did. Said we have two halves. A half-sister and a half-brother. Forget their names ... Lucille, I think. Which is kind-a crazy when you think on it. Lucille was momma’s name.”


“They never divorced, then?”


“Oh, no. Momma wouldn’t hear of it. ‘We’s married in the eyes of the Lord. It ain’t up to me to change that.’  She’d say. I reckon daddy had asked at one time. I remember her railing to Aunt Phoebe that once. It’s the only time I heard her raise her voice.”


“I thought momma said her daddy had passed.”


Aunt Velma’s hand lifts off the arm rest of the rocker, as close to a shrug as she’ll do today.


“All families have secrets, child. We learn to repeat stories as we understand them and then we never go digging for the truth. Your momma was maybe four or five when daddy walked. When momma didn’t say nothing, Sissy must have made up her own story, I reckon.” She pauses, lift her skirt again. “Come to think on it, it wasn’t that long after Ascension. She must have confused the two.”


“Did he send money?”


“Pfft. Maybe once or twice. But no, momma was working at the Jamison’s and took in laundry on the weekends. Thomas picked up odd jobs when he turned twelve and I had to help with the ironing. Lawd almighty.”


She sighs and falls silent again. I pour the last of the lemonade.


“Hated ironing ever since,” she sighs. “Often enough I had to use the stove to heat the irons when we couldn’t afford power. I remember standing between the table and the hot stove and press endless yards of linen.”


“Linen is hard to iron.” I nod, my eyes closed.


“It sure is. And once you get a wrinkle in it, it won’t come out till next washing. I would try to hide those inside the folds, ‘cause, lawd almighty, if momma caught me.”


She drinks her lemonade.


“I kept grousing that it was a thankless task. “A thankless task.” I’d say over and over. “Don’t expect thanks over and above payment, child.” Momma would say. “Nobody is going to say thank you when they give you money. No, you’re supposed to say the thank you when you get paid.” I didn’t understand that. Now it goes straight to the bank. No please and thank you anymore. Is more honest. More equal, I think. Where is that Junior?


“How did you meet Uncle Junior?”


“Church.” She nods. “Yeah, a revival meeting. I guess it was as hot then as it is now. And all of us in our Sunday’s best, you know? He was new in town. His family, the Brown’s, had just moved here from up north a ways. He walked right up to me after services. We stood under the tree, that big one they took down last year. He walked up and said 'You’re the prettiest girl here. I think I’ll marry you.' I laughed at him. I was nineteen and didn’t think I was a girl no more, you know?” She guffaws. “But he grew on me.”


She turns her head and looks at me. “We both wanted a houseful of kids, but the Good Lord saw fit to let us share you and your brother after Sissy passed.” She smiles, reaches her hand to me. “And we were happy to have you and a little bit of Sissy.”


We both blink and swallow. I take her hand and hold on for a minute.

At last, we lift our heads when we hear the sputtering of an engine bounce off the trees that line the road.


“Well finally.” Aunt Velam sighs contentedly. “The slowpoke.”


With a gasp and a fart, the truck pulls into the drive. Uncle Junior grins as he carries a large cooler full of ice around the back and up the porch. We hear him dump a good bit in the freezer before he walks back to the truck to retrieve a large, somewhat beat-up box. Half an hour later his huffing, grumbling and cussing is replaced by the knock and rattle from the new window unit.


“Got you a surprise.” His voice has a childlike sing-song tone as he comes back out, shutting the door, hoping the small house will cool down enough by bedtime.

He disappears around the corner again. Then we hear the screech of the outside tap being opened.


He laughs as he sets a sprinkler in the center of the yard, under the large oak tree. He stands within its reach, head back, arms spread wide, grinning like a fool when the cool water hits him.


“Well? Come on in, the water is fine.”


Aunt Velma gets up and walks to him, he holds her, they kiss.


“You’re the clever one, Junior.” She sighs with pleasure.


Soon we have our rocking chairs arranged under the sprinkler and laugh as Uncle Junior repeats all the gossip he heard that day.


August 02, 2024 15:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

62 comments

Jenny Cook
00:16 Aug 17, 2024

Although it is Winter in Australia,your vivid imagery had me sweating along with the two women! Love how you cleverly wove the telling of family history.

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:32 Aug 17, 2024

🙂 Thank you, Jenny. Glad I could bring a little warmth to you. Lazy hazy days are made for reminiscing, aren't they?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:21 Aug 15, 2024

Such a natural real feel and flow to this piece. Aunt Velma appears as a fully formed character with oodles of personality and back story. And all presented in an organic conversational way. A nice little snapshot into this one family's life. Brilliantly written.

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:29 Aug 15, 2024

Thank you so much, Derrick. High praise, indeed. I will take "brilliant" any day. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TE Wetzel
22:26 Aug 13, 2024

Great story but how you gonna bring up Paul Newman and not have the basic decency to reference "Cool Hand Luke" in the same sentence? If Carr The Floor Walker was here you would certainly spend the night in the box for that. I hope you aint gonna be a hard case. If so, I'll fight you on Saturday afternoon per the standard rules and regulations. I don't want to spend the night in the box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqhyIIZt87A

Reply

Trudy Jas
23:28 Aug 13, 2024

Gulp ... But ... The movie was Cat on a hot tin roof. Which may have preceded CHL. But I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject. I don't want to spend the night in the box, either.

Reply

TE Wetzel
00:03 Aug 14, 2024

You are correct. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof preceded CHL by 9 years and Newman was better looking in 1958, but f@#k Tennessee Williams. Give me Cool Hand Luke or we fight on Saturday afternoon! (It's literally my favorite film of all time.) Maybe we'll both spend the night in the box. Just kick me in the head if I snore too loud. I don't want to spend two nights in the box. "Love me, hate me, kill me...anything. Just let me know it." - Cool Hand Lucas Jackson (screaming at God during a torrential Florida thunderstorm)

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:31 Aug 14, 2024

I promise, next time I get a hair up my butt and feel the need to mention dear Paul it will be in relation to a breakdown in communication, eggs or "the box". LOL

Reply

TE Wetzel
00:37 Aug 14, 2024

Dragline: "He just beat you with nuthin'. Just like today when he kept coming back at me, with nuthin'." CHL: "Yeah well, sometimes nuthin' can be a real cool hand." Dragline: "Move over. I want to sit here next to my boy...Cool Hand Luke." (After beating the ever-loving shit out of him a few hours earlier, on a Saturday afternoon.) Cinematic perfection.

Reply

Trudy Jas
00:50 Aug 14, 2024

I'm working on a story that has at least some of these lines. Of course not literally, cause I can't improve on perfection. But some day, when you least expect it those blue eyes might just wink at you. 😉

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
12:16 Aug 12, 2024

Hazy, lazy, crazy days of 🌞 summer..

Reply

Trudy Jas
12:30 Aug 12, 2024

And let's not forget, sweaty.:-) Thanks Mary.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
02:38 Aug 12, 2024

I like it. Very well told. It's reminiscent of "A Painted House" by John Grisham. And if that's not high praise, then tell me what is? 🤣

Reply

Trudy Jas
03:32 Aug 12, 2024

Daniel .... Lawd Almighty! I'm going to assume you mean well. After all, you said you liked my story. But John Grisham? Really? But hey, I will take whatever praise comes my way. Thank you. :-)

Reply

Daniel Rogers
12:56 Aug 12, 2024

Ouch! I've been stabbed in the heart! 🤣 He's my favorite author, I have almost all his books and read many more than once -- "Playing for Pizza" is my favorite. So, yes, I was giving you my best praise possible 😂👍

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:04 Aug 12, 2024

Thank you, Daniel. I knew you were. I was just kidding. I've enjoyed several of his books as well and appreciate your comments.🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Chris Sage
16:27 Aug 11, 2024

Such an immersive story. Can imagine I'm sat there with them - very well done.

Reply

Trudy Jas
16:39 Aug 11, 2024

Thank you, Chris. I'm so glad it worked. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KA James
16:15 Aug 11, 2024

Great story about really nothing more than recollecting on a hot summer afternoon. You manage to expand a lot with this simple setup

Reply

Trudy Jas
16:21 Aug 11, 2024

Much ado about nothing while trying to stay cool. :-) Thanks, 'Aunt Velma' pretty much dictated this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Geertje H
15:14 Aug 11, 2024

Such a lazy afternoon, reminiscing, sharing while desperately trying not to move. Uncle Junior to the rescue. I could feel the heat and was thankful for my a/c. :-)

Reply

Trudy Jas
16:03 Aug 11, 2024

I know, right? :-) Thank you, Geertje

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
13:52 Aug 11, 2024

Nice story. I managed to imagine the two women siting in the shades, talking.

Reply

Geertje H
15:12 Aug 11, 2024

Thanks, Darvico. Glad you swa what I saw. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessica Thomp
19:06 Aug 10, 2024

I really liked your story Trudy. The imagery you created with your words was just perfect.

Reply

Trudy Jas
19:39 Aug 10, 2024

Thank you, Jessica. I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jane Cantor
13:40 Aug 10, 2024

'Vivid' is such a hackneyed phrase, but it really is apt - the language and description puts us right in the location and era in seconds. There's very little description of Junior, but I can see him and hear his 'childlike sing-song voice' immediately. As someone who hates the heat, it's not a setting I'd want to share, but lovely read!

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:48 Aug 10, 2024

:-) Thank you, Jane. I'm with you. A/c has spoilt me. The mere thought of shrugging will bathe me in sweat (not that below freezing temps are any more enticing). Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeremy Burgess
09:24 Aug 10, 2024

The voices of the characters in the story are beautifully authentic - the pacing too matches the heat and slowness of the day you're evoking. Really well put together!

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:34 Aug 10, 2024

Thank you, so much. Jeremy. This one, slowly, occasionally wiping its brow, wrote itself. :-) I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:39 Aug 10, 2024

An easy read with a great pace, and such interesting conversations between the characters. Of course, they couldn't do anything fast in the heat. Rocking chairs under the sprinkler. How refreshing. I felt like I was right there.

Reply

Trudy Jas
06:42 Aug 10, 2024

Thanks, Kaitlyn. It was a long ang and hot day, made longer by the heat and hotter by the waiting. But oh, the AC once it kicked in - hours later. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Samantha Bull
03:58 Aug 10, 2024

I enjoyed this - great dialect, made me feel like I was there watching the conversation. It was a very lazy pace, and I mean that in a good way, because even though there wasn't a lot of action and excitement, you still did a great job of keeping the readers attention!

Reply

Trudy Jas
04:00 Aug 10, 2024

Thank you, Samantha. When you are melting , everything slows down - except the melting. I'm so glad that came through.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan O'REILLY
11:36 Aug 08, 2024

great much enjoyed sláinte x

Reply

Trudy Jas
11:49 Aug 08, 2024

Thank you, Susan. Stay cool. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeff Meade
07:49 Aug 07, 2024

Lovely story. Great way to celebrate an old lady's recollections, and the use of the colloquial language was magnificent. You've done a great job capturing not just the memories of yesteryear, but the way in which memory reflects the norms and experiences from specific time periods. People thought differently in the 50's, the 70's, and now. Really well done. Thank you for sharing this one.

Reply

Trudy Jas
09:02 Aug 07, 2024

Thank you, Jeff. This one pretty much wrote itself. I'm glad a little of Aunt Velma's personality came through. Thanks for you wonderful feedback.

Reply

Jeff Meade
12:11 Aug 07, 2024

This story was outstanding and felt authentic. There’s a ring of truth to it. Either that, or some basic universal experience that I tapped into. Well done.

Reply

Trudy Jas
15:19 Aug 07, 2024

It must be the latter. :-) Thans.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
19:10 Aug 06, 2024

Really enjoyed your story Trudy. Packed with subtle but incredibly vivid imagery, like: « Aunt Velma’s hand lifts off the arm rest of the rocker, as close to a shrug as she’ll do today.» - It’s super hot where I am here today & I found myself repeating your gesture… it’s so indicative of how I feel in this oppressive heat 😂 You really succeed in bringing all your characters to life. The first story I’ve read of yours, but I intend to try others very shortly…

Reply

Trudy Jas
19:49 Aug 06, 2024

Thank you, Shirley. I'm so glad you enjoyed my story, despite it rubbing in the temp. :-) I hope you enjoy some of my other stories as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
09:27 Aug 04, 2024

Really nice pacing to this story. Loved the characters and dialogue and the way you conveyed the heat. Imagine ironing linen!! Impossibly difficult.

Reply

Trudy Jas
13:26 Aug 04, 2024

Thanks, Helen. I know, right? And yet we used to do it (or hired someone to do it) all the time. Thanks for liking my story.

Reply

Helen A Smith
14:14 Aug 04, 2024

👚 👖 people used to iron everything once. Fortunately, those days are mostly gone 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keba Ghardt
03:54 Aug 03, 2024

Love your voice in this one, and the lazy pace. It's nice to see you stretch

Reply

Trudy Jas
03:57 Aug 03, 2024

Thank you, Keba. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
16:57 Aug 02, 2024

I want an Uncle Junior !!! Love this one, so sweet.

Reply

Trudy Jas
17:22 Aug 02, 2024

I know, right? He's aptly named, a child at heart.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.