Twin Adventure: A Cherub, Rainbow and Giant

Submitted into Contest #258 in response to: A photographer captures an image of something unexplainable. What happens next?... view prompt

14 comments

Adventure Christian Fantasy

Click! Click!

“Sadie, come on.” 

Click!

“One more,” fourteen-year-old Sadie said. Click! Click!

          Sean groaned. “That’s what you said half an hour ago.” 

Sadie sighed and lowered the camera. “Fine. Let’s go.” 

It was the summer holiday. Their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry, who were on a diplomatic tour in New York, had sent the twins to Jamaica to spend the holiday with their grandma, Keturah. Sadie had created a scene about the arrangement, so their father had bought her a Canon EOS Rebel T5i camera. Sean had guffawed when he had seen the name. Now, he wished his father hadn’t bought it because that meant he had to follow Sadie on her explorations.

           “What do you think Grandma is preparing for dinner?” he asked. Grandma Keturah lived in Linstead, a rural district in the parish of St. Catherine. Linstead boasted farm lands for miles with fruits and other food group of every kind, and people with ready smiles.

“I don’t know.” Click!

Sean pulled her to the side of the road as a taxi sped past them. “What a jerk!” Sadie said, before snapping a couple pictures of the back of the car. 

The audacity of his sister! “It’s your fault for not keeping to the sidewalk,” Sean said.

“My fault?” Her broad, dark brown nostrils flared in anger. “It’s not my fault the lunatic doesn’t know the road code.”

“Didn’t mom say you were to stop cussing?”

“Lunatic ain’t cussing. Now if I’d said---” Sean clapped his hand over his sister’s mouth.

She boxed his hand away. He would have replaced it but paused at the transfixed expression that took over her light brown eyes – eyes that were a replica of his. He followed her gaze.

“Wowza!” Sadie exclaimed.

 Sean blinked. “It wasn’t there when we were heading out.”

           Sadie stepped closer as though she was afraid it would disappear. “Where did you come from?” She hoisted her camera; her finger hovered over the shutter button. She glanced at her brother. He nodded. Click! Click!

           She reached out her hand to touch a petal but he placed his hand on hers. “It could be a trap.”

She scoffed but she didn’t touch it. “Fine. Let’s take a selfie with it.”

Thunder cracked overhead and lightning pierced the dark skies. “It’s going to rain,” Sean said as he surveyed dark clouds hovering overhead, thick like a blanket of smoke. The cloud was going to burst any moment and empty its contents on them. When Sean felt the first drop, he snatched the camera from Sadie's hand. He then dashed down the steep, gravelly terrain to their grandmother Keturah’s house, with Sadie hot on his heels. 

*****

They were soaking wet when they got in but grandma was prepared with blankets and two warm mugs of cocoa tea. She’d even rubbed them from head to toe with Benjamin’s alcohol, and let them inhale it so they wouldn’t get sick.

She hadn’t berated them. She was pleased that they had taken a liking to the outdoors. She’d visited Manhattan once and had bemoaned the lack of trees and playgrounds.

“Hey, grandma,” Sadie said over dinner that night. 

“Yes, my sweets.” Grandma Keturah's dark brown eyes searched her granddaughter’s face. Sadie was the replica of Sean with dark, oblong shaped face, a broad nose, full lips, except she had thick kinky hair that made her holler every time a hairdresser took a comb to it.

Sean rolled his eyes. It was treatment like these that made his sister spoiled.

Sadie beamed. “Do you know of any special flowers in Linstead?”

Grandma’s eyes brightened. “Well, of course. We have hibiscus, periwinkle and bougainvilla.” 

Sadie leaned forward in her chair. “Any mystical ones?”

Her grandmother chuckled, revealing crow’s feet at the corners of her kind eyes. “Sadie, you’re too much. This is Jamaica, not Wonderland.”

“And you’re not Alice,” Sean added. Sadie stuck out her tongue.

“Sadie,” her grandmother reprimanded.

“Sorry, grandma. But how do we explain this?” Sadie reached for her camera and began to flip through images. “Where is it?” She lowered her camera and glared at her brother. “Did you touch my camera?”

Sean thumbed his skinny chest. “Me? Don’t be ridiculous.” 

Mahogany chair scraped against red, polished floor.

“Where are you going, baby?” Grandma Keturah asked.

“I’m missing my pictures. I need---”

“After you’ve finished your dinner.

*****

Sadie ran slender fingers over the surface of the camera. She had gone through every reel but hadn’t seen any sign of her mystical flower.

“Are you still up?” Sean asked through bleary eyes. He’d been sleeping on his twin size bed, which was a few feet across the floor from hers.

Sadie sniffed. “I can’t sleep.”

           “Sorry sis but please try because the light is blinding me.”

Clang!

Sadie sat erect. “Sean, d-did you hear that?”

Sean snuggled deeper into his pillow. “You’re hearing things.”

“Something is outside and I’m going to see what it is.”

Sean leapt out of bed, surprising his sister. “No, you ain’t.” He dashed to the door before she could.

Bam!

He inclined his head in the direction of the window, and Sadie begrudgingly followed his lead. The outside was dark. The sky was littered with stars that sparkled like diamonds. Sadie’s fingers itched for her camera.

Achoo! I’m sorry but it was hard getting your attention,” said a three feet creature. He had cherub-like features: blonde hair, blue eyes, and pink cheeks.

Sean stepped in front of his sister, his body shaking like a leaf. “Wha-who are y-you and ho-how did you get in here?”

“Through the wall,” he deadpanned.

           Sadie pinched Sean then herself. “Ow! Why’d you do that?”

She shuddered. “Making sure we’re awake.” She stepped away from her brother. “Ghost b-be gone,” she said with a shaky finger, pointed at the creature.

“Yael, at your service.” The creature bowed low. "I’m no ghost.”

Sean grabbed the closest item to him, and pointed it at the creature. “Then why are you here? Tell us or we’ll send you back. Our parents are prayer warriors.”

“For heaven’s sake, put down the teddy bear. And can’t you see I’m a cherub.”

“Cherubs aren’t real,” said Sadie. “You’re a midget ghost.”

Yael pointed a stubby finger at her. “Now, that is very offensive. Anyway, listen up,” he said, and the kids stood as erect as soldiers, unable to move. “I’m here on the king’s business. Yeshua Hamaschiach has sent me to warn you two to be on the look-out for a giant.” He made a circle with his hand and the image of a beast appeared, as if on a screen. “He’s Nephilim 1.0 and he’s headed for Jamaica. You may speak but anymore resistance and I’ll have a one way conversation. Blink once if you understand.” Sean did as he instructed. He figured his sister had done likewise, since she drew for his hand, the moment he was free to move.

“Wh-why is that ogre com-coming here?”        

Yael plucked a picture of them from the dresser. “Because your lives depend on it.”

Fear somersaulted in Sean’s stomach but it was Sadie who spoke. “This is Jamaica. No mystical being---” Yael eyed her. She cleared her throat. “Guess anything is possible,” she finished under her breath. 

“Today, you saw the Rainbow Galandia,” he continued.

“Yes. All seven, glowing colours of it. I took pictures but it’s not on my camera,” said Sadie.

“Your eyes were opened so you could see in the second dimension. Ordinary cameras don’t work there. Do you know the story of the great flood that took place in 2350 BC?”

           “The one about Noah and the ark?” Sean asked.

Yael nodded. “Do you know why the flood happened?”

“Because God said so,” Sadie said.

“Angels had defied God’s orders and took human brides. These brides gave birth to abominable beings. Because of them men’s hearts became evil and God grew sorrowful but then Noah found favour with Him. Do you two know the rest?”

“God told Noah to build the ark. Noad did, then he brought in the animals by the pairs. He and his family entered, then God shut the door,” said Sean.

“The flood came and destroyed everything and everyone that wasn’t on the ark,” Sadie added. “It’s a depressing story. What does it have to do with us?”

Yael quirked an eyebrow. “After the flood, God placed the rainbow in the sky as a covenant between Himself, humans and creation that He wouldn’t destroy the world by flood again. Every time a rainbow appears in the sky, it’s a reminder of God’s covenant promise.”

“Is that why we saw the rainbow flower?” Sadie whispered to her brother. Sean shrugged.

"It’s called the Rainbow Galandia.” Yael opened his pale, chubby hand, revealing the mystical flower.

Sadie’s breath caught. “What’s wrong with it? The flower had wilted and its colours had faded. In fact, it had been down to four petals, where it had seven coloured petals.

       “There has been a crack in the fabric of time by Nephilim 1.0, and it is believed that he has escaped.”        

Sadie sniggered. “And you’ve come to two kids for help?"

        “He’s headed for you guys.” Sadie reached for her brother. “The people and the animals had entered the ark in pairs. Because of this, there’s a belief by these abominable beings also known as the nephilims and their families, that if a chosen twin is sacrificed, it would cleanse their sins and stop the flood.”

        Sean shook beside his sister and Sadie clung to him even more. “Are you saying this beast is here to sacrifice us?” he asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

        “Yes, and I’ve come to prepare you.”

        “By doing what? Adding spice and sauce? Do we look like meat to you?” Sean asked. 

Yael sighed. “You were chosen to defeat and send them back into the fabric of time, then you must seal it with this ring.”

Sadie grabbed the ring. “Ooh, so pretty.”

 Yael eyed her with interest. “A decree sealed with this ring cannot be undone.” He handed Sean the tiny scroll. “The decrees. Sadie, where is your camera?” Sadie pointed at the desk. He passed his hand over it and a shimmer of light entered.

        Sadie stepped forward. “What did you do to it?”

        “This is your weapon. Every time you snap at your enemy, you’re hitting them with temporary blindness. Be sure to have it at all times.”

        Sean rubbed his hands together. “What do I get?”

        Yael reached into his pocket and came out with a wooden and band strapped item.

“What is that?” Sean asked with a baleful expression.

Even Sadie seemed put off. “It looks primitive.”

           “It’s the King David’s slingshot!” Yael emphasized, “the.”

Sean folded his arms. “What am I supposed to do with it?”

           “Slay the giant, of course.” Sean gulped. “Oh, I almost forgot. The stones. You’re not David so you’ll get fourteen.”

Sean threw his hands in the air. “We’re dead.”

“Don’t worry. You’ll be fine. You’ll have backup.”

*****

“Can you believe that guy?” Sean said. Sadie pinched her brother. “Ow! Sadie!”

“Mind you wake up grandma.”

Sean hissed. “Why would you do that?”

“I’m still not convinced we’re awake. I wished I’d listened to you.”

Her brother sighed. “It seemed if you had, we wouldn’t have seen the flower, and would have headed for destruction. So, your pig-headedness does work sometimes, Sadie Badie.” It was a term of endearment, he’d made up for her when they were young.

“Don’t call me that.”

He offered her a small smile but then his eyes turned to the slingshot, camera and ring. “How are these little gadgets going to take out a giant? Should we tell grandma?”

“What exactly would we say?”        

He rubbed the back of his head. “Er, um.”

“Exactly. So, how do we sleep?” Sadie asked.

“Like this.” Sean gave his pillow two smacks then laid down.

“We should take turns and keep watch,” Sadie said.

“You first,” said Sean, then fell asleep.

*****

“What are you two doing today?”

“We’ll hang out here and help out if you need anything,” Sean said.

Sadie gave him an expression that said, “coward”. Sean had slept through most of the night, which meant Sadie got a wink of sleep. She had a good mind leaving him to fight the giant, if there was such a thing.

When they awoke, they had a good laugh but then they sobered as each recalled how the cherub walked through the wall plus defied gravity, the faded flower and their new weapons. That morning, they ate breakfast without any bickering, and even their grandmother eyed them with suspicion.

A knock sounded on the door. Grandma Keturah stood. “That must be my new mentee,” she said.

Sadie and Sean shot up. “Grandma, no!”

Sadie dashed to the window, and Sean to the door, slingshot in hand. “What’s the matter with you, two? Their grandmother asked.

“It’s a regular guy – he’s cu,” Sadie cleared her throat.

Following his sister's lead, Sean returned to the dining table. Grandma brought in a young man who looked no more than eighteen years old, with almond coloured eyes, and smooth molasses skin.

Sadie sighed.

“Close your mouth or you may catch flies.”

She swatted her brother’s hand and stood as her grandmother introduced her and Sean to the handsome young man. “Jarvis, these are my grandchildren, Sean and Sadie. If you need any help, just call them. You guys still plan to help out?”

“Oh yes, ma’am,” Sadie said.

“Shameless,” Sean muttered.

*****

 “Do we go looking for the giant or will it come looking for us,” Sean asked.

“I think it will come looking for us.”

“Well, if that’s the case, I have an idea. Let's wait in the trees on the other side of the property.”

“Why can’t we stay on this side?” Sadie stared out the window, where Jarvis was busy adding mulch to a banana tree root.

Sean rolled his eyes. He snatched up his slingshot and handed Sadie her camera. She took it from him, then they marched out the door and to the other end of their Grandma’s ten acres of farm land. When they were far enough from Grandma Keturah, he and Sadie climbed a mango tree and waited. They were there for ten minutes before Sadie started her protest.

“This is boring. Ain’t no stupid giant coming. That cherub made it up. I’m going down to see what Jarvis is up to,” she said and began her descent. As she did, the earth beneath them began to shake. “Earthquake!”

“Hello, sweethearts,” said a mocking voice. A behemoth with a stinking breath, and mud caked face, towered over their hiding place.

“He wasn’t lying,” Sean said as he tried to reach for the satchel in his pocket.

“Now, come on out.” The giant grinned rotten yellow teeth then began to shake the tree.

The first pebble slipped from Sean’s hand and he lost his balance.

“Sadie!” he cried out the same time as he heard his sister scream.

The giant paused his shaking and gazed at her, dangling from a tree limb. “Ah, a cute little thing,” he drawled. He poked her stomach with a gigantic finger.

“Don’t touch me.” He picked her from the limb.

Using the distraction, Sean clambered down from the tree. “What you got there?”

Sadie raised the camera to the giant's face. “Say cheese.” Click! Click! Click!

The giant released her. “My eyes! My eyes!” It sounded like the word started with ‘y’.

Sean watched in horror as his sister began a fatal descent. Her piercing scream tore the morning.

A flash passed Sean. He’d hardly had time to breathe when his sister said, “Jarvis, you’re---”

“--the back up,” Jarvis said. He put Sadie down and she stepped behind him.

“I’m goin’ to get you!” The giant raised his giant foot to squash Jarvis, the same time Jarvis grabbed Sadie, and they jumped out of the way. Placing Sadie on his back, Jarvis began to zig zag like the Flash around the beast.

Sean tried the first stone. It didn’t even shoot a foot away from him. He tried three more and they landed further.

The giant seemed to tire of Jarvis and Sadie and had now turned humongous, bulging eyes at Sean. “Now, what have we got here?” Sean shot the third one at the giant but it only bounced off his thigh. The beast threw his head back and bellowed until he coughed.

“You plan on taking me out with that thing, boy?” he said.

“You can do it!” his sister yelled.

           He closed his eyes to recall how David, a shepherd boy, had defeated a nine-foot giant by the name of Goliath. “Okay, God. Please help,” Sean prayed.

“Playtime is over,” the giant said. He made to scoop up Sean. Sean pulled the slingshot backwards and sent the fifth stone flying.

The teens held their breaths as the giant staggered backward then crashed to the ground.

Sadie stepped away from Jarvis. She raised the ring towards the giant. "We decree and declare the Spirit of the Lord has lifted a standard and our enemy has retreated.” The words had been taken from the scroll. A blue light shone out of the ring, encircled the giant then vanquished him. 

Sean ran to his sister but she’d already fallen into Jarvis’ arms, shaking and sniffling.

He shook his head while Jarvis shrugged. “Girls,” he said.

Seconds later, they saw their Grandma Keturah running towards them. “Are you kids, okay?”

They eyed each other but it was Sean who said. “We’re well, except for Sadie. She’s an emotional wreck.”

His grandmother looked at her granddaughter and chortled. “Hot cocoa, anyone?”

Sadie’s hand shot up. “Me, right after I rid myself of a twin.”

Sean raced towards the house, with his sister, hot on his heels.

To be continued….

July 13, 2024 00:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Kashena McCarthy
10:21 Jul 18, 2024

A very light hearted, fun filled adventure with the twins. I appreciate how the author incorporated both Jamaican culture and bíblical themes.

Reply

Claudine Bailey
19:12 Jul 18, 2024

Thanks Kash! Much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Studio House
22:58 Jul 16, 2024

I like how the author brings each character alive and how she used writing imagery to help us to visualize the story as if it was a movie.

Reply

Claudine Bailey
23:43 Jul 16, 2024

Thank you! I am really happy you enjoyed it. 😊😀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kimberly Grey
20:55 Jul 16, 2024

Nice story.

Reply

Claudine Bailey
23:42 Jul 16, 2024

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sherine Thompson
20:04 Jul 16, 2024

Absolutely love this story! I appreciate how the author uses Biblical stories to entertain while showcasing Jamaica childhood experiences. Hope it is a series because I am looking forward to reading more adventures of the twins.

Reply

Claudine Bailey
23:42 Jul 16, 2024

Thank you! I do intend to continue with these two. I will keep you abreast!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stacy-Ann Subani
19:53 Jul 16, 2024

Love, love, love it! The Jamaican childhood experience intertwined beautifully with biblical stories. Simply amazing. :)

Reply

Claudine Bailey
23:41 Jul 16, 2024

Thank you! 😀😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Roomes
19:37 Jul 16, 2024

Great story. I like how biblical themes are used in this and I am looking forward to more suspense-filled stories like these from the author.

Reply

Claudine Bailey
23:40 Jul 16, 2024

Thank you! I intend to do more prompts using these characters. It's time Jamaicans explore this genre.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Christine Moore
16:32 Jul 16, 2024

Wonderful story that leaves you in suspense ... what next?

Reply

Claudine Bailey
23:38 Jul 16, 2024

Thank you!....Please see next week...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.