12 comments

African American Historical Fiction Inspirational

Author’s Note: This is my first story in a while, but I hope it’s still good and that you guys enjoy it! :D


Ellen Millson swayed back and forth in her rocking chair. Her hair, still bright red despite her age, was braided and resting on her shoulder. In front of Ellen, on a soft rug, sat two young children, a boy, and a girl. The boy had red hair like Ellen’s, just not so bright, and an animated look in his eyes. The girl had shockingly elegant raven hair; her dark blue eyes looked tired.

“Didan,” Ellen spoke softly to the boy, “your sister seems to be tired. Let’s get you two in bed.”

“I am tired, Didan. Please?” Kenyelletsa, the girl, begged. She looked at her brother with half-closed eyes. The way her shoulders sagged made Didan feel bad, but he needed to hear a story of Granny Ellen’s.

“I’m sorry, Kenyee. I’m going to listen to one of Granny’s stories. You can go to bed if you want,” Didan said. He looked up expectantly at Ellen. She smiled warmly at the kids and nodded.

“Kenyelletsa, I promised your brother that I would tell him a story tonight. It is up to you if you would like to stay and listen or go to bed.”

All eyes were on Kenyelletsa now. Didan’s were wide; Ellen’s were crinkled up in a half-smile. “Kenyee” shook her head somewhat, but readjusted herself to be more comfortable and looked up expectantly at Ellen.

“Well, what story do you two want to hear tonight?” Ellen asked.

“One about dragons! Or racecars! Oh, tell us about Mommy and Daddy when they were little like me!” Didan rambled.

“I want to hear about you marching with Martin Luther King, Jr., Granny,” Kenyelletsa said, just above a whisper. Ellen considered the last suggestion, then made up her mind.

“It was 1963, and a hot August. A rumor was going around that Martin was starting a march to fight for civil rights for African Americans, just like you and me. I didn’t believe it. I knew that Martin was strong, and fighting hard for our rights, but to march all those miles? It was unthinkable. I only believed it when my sister, your Aunt Georgia, came rushin’ over to my house, waving a newspaper. I can remember her slamming it down on my kitchen table. I was so mad at her for just barging in like that until I looked at the front page." Ellen paused, taking a deep breath.

“What happened next, Granny?!” Kenyelletsa exclaimed. She looked at her grandmother with wide, curious eyes.

“There was a big picture on that front page. And Martin was right in the center of it, with who knows how many people behind him! Georgia insisted that we join them. I wasn’t so sure that we shoulda gone right and done it without knowing-” Ellen was cut off by her grandson.

“Granny! You should’ve gone right away! Martin helped you be free!” Didan cried. Ellen’s face turned stern, but Kenyelletsa could see the hint of a smile on her face.

“Hush, child. Or you can go to bed without hearing the rest of the story.”

Didan pretended to zip his lips shut before scooching closer as if it were going to help him hear better. Ellen nodded before continuing.

“I read and re-read the article that went with Martin’s picture, and that’s when I finally agreed with Georgia. We headed right out of the door, on our way to Selma, and Martin.

“When me and that crazy sister of mine caught up with the group, there was thousands upon thousands of people with ‘im! More people in one place than I’d ever seen. Ever have seen. So, for-” Granny held up three fingers. “-three days, Georgia and I marched with MLK. Sometimes it got tiring, and Georgia complained like a injured dog, but we marched until we got to Montgomery,” Granny concluded. Kenyelletsa continued to just sit there on the floor, but Didan jumped up from his spot and started jumping around like a kangaroo.

“My granny marched with Martin! My granny marched with Martin!” Didan sang. He continued hopping and dancing with his fingers pointed up in the air, his arms moving up and down. Didan only stopped when a pair of small, delicate hands grabbed his shoulders from behind. Stopping his jumping, Didan turned around and was looking at his big-by-one-year sister.

“Stop jumping, Didan. Granny said, while you were yelling, that she’s going to tuck us in for bed. So, let’s go.” Kenyee grabbed her little-by-one-year brother by the forearm and began dragging him to his bedroom. Ellen sighed and pushed herself out of the rocking chair, then followed.

The moment that Ellen stepped into Didan’s bedroom, Kenyelletsa walked out, across the hall to her own. Ellen smiled as Kenyee passed by. ‘Granny’ walked into her grandson’s bedroom, where he was already under the covers and half-asleep. She sat down on a chair that stood next to his bed, taking a deep breath.

“You want a song, right?” Ellen checked.

“Right, Granny.” Didan lifted a corner of his mouth in a grin.

“Okay… You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are gray. You’ll never know, dear, how much I love you. Please don’t take my sunshine away.” Ellen sang the song slowly, softly, to give Didan time to drift off to sleep. Sure enough, he did, and Ellen turned off his bedside lamp before tip-toeing across the hall.

“I don’t want a song, Granny. Just sit here, please,” Kenyelletsa requested immediately. Granny nodded slightly and made her way to the chair that sat next to her granddaughter’s bed. The light clicked off by Kenyee’s hand. The chair squeaked from Ellen’s weight. The soft hum from the heater in the corner filled the room. Kenyelletsa reached her hand out and found her grandmother’s. She grasped it tightly, as tightly as she possibly could.

“Goodnight, sweet girl,” Ellen whispered.

“Goodnight, Granny,” Kenyee responded.

February 11, 2021 00:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Mazie Gray
20:02 Mar 14, 2021

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR...

Reply

Bailey D.
19:50 Mar 15, 2021

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU i'll spread the word soon

Reply

Mazie Gray
21:17 Mar 17, 2021

You're welcome! Kk.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:44 Mar 13, 2021

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR...

Reply

Bailey D.
19:51 Mar 15, 2021

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW THANKKKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU i'll spread the word soon

Reply

19:52 Mar 15, 2021

YOU'RE WELCOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE KK!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Athaliah Taeniel
08:34 Feb 18, 2021

And the way it unfolds and ends is good. Well thought piece. I would have loved to read some of MLK's motivational quotes or a bit of the History of MLK and then outcomes of the march without having to check the Internet

Reply

Bailey D.
21:00 Feb 18, 2021

Aw, thanks! Sorry 'bout that. Next time I'll think about it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Athaliah Taeniel
08:30 Feb 18, 2021

Interesting

Reply

Bailey D.
21:00 Feb 18, 2021

Thank you.?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hahahahah I just scrolled through Aerins following list for twenty minutes hahaha we were already following eachother hahaha haha

Reply

Bailey D.
22:12 Mar 10, 2021

XDDDDDD OMG Wow

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.