0 comments

Drama Fantasy

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! Tick.

"Ugh!" I groaned as I eventually got up and out of my once warm and comfy bed. It's the year 2030 and life is finally on the right track for once. No diseases, no racism, no feeling of strife or struggle whatsoever. I was a happy guy, but this wasn't a normal morning.

As usual I brushed up, changed into some sweats and a hoodie and went to drink my morning coffee. "Something's not right..." I thought to myself for a minute as I laid back uneasily on my couch. Turned on Channel 2 to see a local restaurant that has just recently opened. The workers had no mask and there wasn't a hand sanitizer bottle in sight. I couldn't keep watching... Feeling a little withdrawn, I turned off the TV.

Later throughout the day, I realised that I was out of milk and was getting ready to go to the nearby grocery store to pick up a couple of things, but that's when I started feeling dizzy. Almost about to collapse I held myself together and took a break. "What's going on?" I asked myself out loud. I knew I wasn't in a good state. "I can't be getting sick, I can't go to the hospital now!" Covid-19 whipped out a fourth of the world and I was lucky to be amongst the three-fourth that survived.

In the heat of the moment, I picked up my phone and called my boss. I worked at a prestige post office where I delivered newspapers. It was a Saturday and my shift was covered. Driiing! Driiing! Driiing! Screeched the bell in agony as if it was telling me to turn back, but I stuck with my moral.

"Hey Dave, it's Charlie" I started.

"Hey Charlie. How's it going?" Asked Dave in a friendly manner.

"Dave... I'm sorry, but I quit." I directly replied.

"What do you mean you quit? Are you okay?" Dave added worriedly.

"I quit, have a good day." I repeated as I hung up the phone.

"Oh god..." I told myself. "What have I done?" I felt like there was some sort of other person inside me torturing myself. I didn't understand what was going on, and I just wanted to wake up from this nightmare. I was trapped and I wanted to leave... No, I HAD to leave. "Stop it." I thought to myself as I pushed through to fear and got ready to take a walk.

I then opened the door and started my walk. The voice inside my head wouldn't stop telling me "You're in danger..." as if a big yellow caution sign popped up into my view frame every time I tried to leave the house. I pushed through the pain and shook off what felt like a sign that I shouldn't be ignoring. Nonetheless, I kept walking when suddenly, I realised that I had a mask on and funny enough, as I had the strength to take it off, I felt my throat closing up. Looking at my hands, I could almost see the dirt particles laying gently but mockingly on my skin.

I ran back inside and never wanted to leave. I wasn't a very religious person, but I prayed. I prayed so hard in hope that whatever was happening to me would STOP! Praying went to crying and crying went to rage. I was sick and tired of this disease that practically took over everyone's lives and killed millions. I wasn't going to let it follow me now that it's been years since it's ended.

I've never been married and almost my whole family tree vanished after that awful virus. To any normal person I'd seem crazy, but I couldn't help but wonder "What if that wasn't the end?" Something in my gut was telling me that it's coming back and it will be soon. No matter the pain I was going through, I knew that it would only get worse unless I stopped it in its tracks. Without a thought, I got in my car and started driving to the nearest hospital while telling myself that everything will be okay.

When I arrived, I walked in and saw not one person wearing a mask. I went to the check-in counter and saw disposable masks available for any sick people with coughs and without a thought took one. The doctor later took me in.

"I know that this isn't an emergency type situation, but I feel overwhelmed and I feel like I'm going crazy." I said almost in tears.

"That's okay, just take deep breaths. Let me check your temperature." Replied the doctor cleverly.

"Okay, so it seems like you do indeed have a common cold, but with the side effects of hallucination." Said the doctor knowing that there will be a way to treat me.

"What?! I can't be getting sick! I CAN'T!" I started yelling. I didn't want this to be it for me, there were still so many things I wanted to do before I passed. I thought to myself that I'm probably overreacting, but couldn't help it and I started getting dizzy. I was scared for my life. What if the doctor didn't want to scare me, but it really was Covid-19. "Oh god..." I got sick to my stomach. I couldn't calm down no matter what I tried. I started whirling around the room as if it was tilting at an incredible speed. My vision went blurry and I felt like I was blacking out...

The next thing I know I was laying easily and peacefully in my room on my bed. I get up and realise it's the start of the same day. "Oh thank god." I reassured myself as I realised that all of it was just a weird confusing nightmare. I got up and got ready for the day as usually when all of a sudden, I felt an overwhelming dizziness come over me. I turned my head to see my face mask sitting on the table innocently as if out of a horror movie…

By : Sophia T <3

March 07, 2021 05:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.