3 comments

Happy Funny

"Son, come here, I've got something to show you," Father said with a grin, his eyes glinting with mischief.


"What is it, Dad? Another one of your ancient relics?" the son replied, rolling his eyes as he followed his father into the living room.


"You could say that, but this relic is a masterpiece. Behold, Resident Evil 4," Father declared dramatically, gesturing to the screen where the game was paused.


"Resident what now?" the son asked, peering at the screen skeptically.


"Resident Evil 4, my boy. It's a classic. None of these newfangled games can hold a candle to it," Father explained, his enthusiasm palpable.


"Looks kinda cheesy to me, Dad. I mean, those graphics are so... blocky," the son remarked, unimpressed.


"Don't judge a book by its cover, son. This game may not have fancy graphics, but it's got heart. And zombies/villagers /parasitize monsters. Lots of those bastards," Father chuckled, settling into his chair.


"The what? Seriously? Isn't that a bit cliche?" the son teased, crossing his arms skeptically.


"Cliche? Maybe. But trust me, once you start playing, you won't be able to tear yourself away. It's got everything—action, suspense, even a bit of humor," Father insisted, reaching for the controller.


"Well, I guess it couldn't hurt to give it a try," the son conceded, taking a seat beside his father.


"That's the spirit! Now, watch closely, and let me show you how it's done," Father declared, starting up the game with a grin.


"All right, son, here we go. Remember, keep your wits about you," Father advised as the son gripped the controller, his fingers tingling with anticipation.


"This village looks... ominous," the son muttered, his eyes narrowing at the screen as they entered the game's first level.


"Ah, yes. A classic horror setting. Just wait until you meet the villagers," Father said cryptically, a smirk playing at the corners of his lips.


"What do you mean, 'meet the villagers'? Are they... zombies?" the son asked, his voice tinged with uncertainty.


"You'll see soon enough," Father replied, his tone teasing as the eerie music swelled in the background, heightening the tension.


"Holy... what are those things?!" the son exclaimed as the villagers emerged from the shadows, their eyes glowing with an unnatural fervor.


"Zombies. Well, sort of. They're infected with something sinister. Just keep your cool and aim for the head," Father advised, leaning in closer to the screen.


"I'm trying, Dad, but they keep coming! This is intense," the son exclaimed, his heart pounding as he frantically dispatched the oncoming horde.


"That's it, son! You're doing great. Just remember to conserve your ammo and use your surroundings to your advantage," Father encouraged, his pulse quickening with the adrenaline of the game.


"I think I see the way out! Should I make a run for it?" the son asked, his hands trembling slightly as he navigated through the maze-like streets.


"Go for it, but be careful. You never know what's waiting around the next corner," Father warned, his eyes glued to the screen as they edged closer to safety.


Some time after the son arrives at the Village level..........


"Dad, this is impossible! I keep getting swarmed by these damn enemies!" the son exclaimed, frustration evident in his voice as he repeatedly failed to navigate through the village level.


"Language, son! Remember, it's just a game," Father chided gently, though a grin danced on his lips.


"Just a game? Dad, you have no idea how infuriating this is! These guys are everywhere, and they hit like trucks!" the son retorted, his tone laced with exasperation as he watched yet another "Game Over" screen.


"You're telling me. But hey, at least you're getting some good practice in," Father remarked, trying to stifle a chuckle at his son's mounting frustration.


"Practice? Dad, I don't need practice, I need a miracle! How the heck am I supposed to get past this part?" the son groaned, rubbing his temples in frustration.


"Patience, my boy. Patience and perseverance. And maybe a little luck," Father replied sagely, though his amusement was evident in the twinkle of his eyes.


"Luck? Yeah, right. More like pure dumb luck if I manage to survive this mess," the son muttered under his breath, his fingers flying over the controller in a desperate attempt to fend off the relentless onslaught of enemies.


"Don't sell yourself short, son. You've got the skills, you just need to believe in yourself," Father encouraged, offering a reassuring pat on the back.


"Believe in myself? Dad, I can barely believe anything except the fact that I'm about to throw this controller through the TV," the son grumbled, his frustration reaching new heights as another wave of enemies descended upon him.


"Easy there, tiger. Remember, it's all about strategy. Take a deep breath, assess the situation, and go in with a plan," Father advised, his voice calm and steady despite the chaos unfolding on the screen.


"A plan? Dad, I can barely think straight with all this chaos going on! How am I supposed to come up with a plan?" the son protested, his voice tinged with desperation as he fought tooth and nail to stay alive.


"Trust me, son. You've got this. Just take it one step at a time, and don't be afraid to try new tactics," Father reassured, his confidence unwavering as he watched his son tackle the challenge head-on.


"All right, Dad. I'll give it one more shot. But if I die again, I swear the Major League Baseball association is going to come to our house to sign me for a multi-million dollar deal as a pitcher due to how hard I am going to throw this controller and will never play this stupid game again," the son declared, a stubborn glint in his eye as he prepared to face the onslaught once more.


"Fair enough. But remember, sometimes the greatest victories come after the toughest battles," Father said with a wink, his faith in his son unshakeable as they braced themselves for another round.


Sometime after the son beats the village level..........


"Son, you did it! You conquered the village level! I knew you had it in you," Father exclaimed, pride evident in his voice as he watched his son breathe a sigh of relief.


"I can't believe it, Dad! That was intense, but man, it feels incredible to finally beat it," the son replied, a wide grin spreading across his face as he savored the sweet taste of victory.


"See? I told you all that practice would pay off. Now, onto the next challenge," Father said with a playful wink, already eager to see what lay ahead in the game.


"Bring it on! I'm ready for anything now," the son declared, his confidence soaring as they moved on to the next level.


"Wait, hold on a second. Did that chainsaw-wielding maniac just drop a treasure?" the son asked, his eyes widening in disbelief as he spotted the loot amidst the chaos.


"Looks like it. Go on, take it and see what you got," Father urged excitement bubbling in his chest as they uncovered the spoils of their hard-fought victory.


"Holy cow, Dad! I just found a bunch of gold and jewels! This is like winning the jackpot!" the son exclaimed, his voice tinged with awe as he surveyed the treasures before him.


"Looks like all that perseverance paid off, huh? Who knew video games could be so lucrative?" Father chuckled, sharing in his son's elation as they reveled in their newfound riches.


After the son takes the treasure, he comments to the father:


"Dad, what was the line that Leon said in the cutscene after you passed the level?" The son asked weirded out. 


"Where is everyone going? Bingo" Said the Father with a wide smile. 


"That is way too cheesy and corny," said the son.


"Then why are you smiling so much?" retorts the Father happy.  


.........."Oh, ok. I like this game. Can we keep playing?"


"Of course son". 


It is great to share one's happiness and memories. 


February 10, 2024 03:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Evan Tait
17:00 Feb 21, 2024

Bro good story

Reply

Emanuel Diaz
18:06 Feb 21, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:40 Feb 11, 2024

Teaching life lessons.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.