A Summer Escape

Submitted into Contest #262 in response to: Center your story around an unexpected summer fling.... view prompt

27 comments

Adventure Funny Romance

My hip joints ached as though each leg had been ripped off and crudely reattached by Doctor Frankenstein. I peeled myself out of the driver's seat of the old 1992 Dodge minivan and ventured out into the blistering heat of New Mexico. I was fairly certain Albuquerque should be coming up soon, but my need to stretch outweighed my curiosity.

New Mexico had always made me uneasy, with their elaborate, pretentious highway art, polished exteriors, and rundown, grungy insides. The whole package felt intentionally deceptive, like a gingerbread house still baking in an infernal oven but ready to lure in children for the wicked witch.

And it didn't help that the minivan's AC had quit somewhere in Oklahoma. In late July.

I quickly wrapped up my business with the gas pump and made my way inside the convenience store. I needed a cold drink, but something that wouldn't go right through me like soda was wont to do.

I wasn't immediately sure if the interior of the store was cooler than the inside of the baking minivan, but when the sweat under my arms and along my back turned frigid I decided this was an improvement. I wandered around aimlessly for a moment, appreciating the air conditioning, letting my legs move, and taking in the crowd.

The place was busy, crawling with locals and travelers alike. The locals were easy to spot, with their dark hair and distrusting eyes. I wasn't sure how I stood out so blatantly to them. My hair was dark. My skin more mocha than milk. But somehow they knew. Perhaps it was the sweat stains that covered the armpits and back of my shirt.

I decided to pick a beverage and go. I stood by the glass refrigerator doors scanning the selection carefully. Unfortunately, they had less than half the options I'd gotten used to seeing at other stops. Just when I was on the verge of grabbing a five dollar bottle of water, someone whispered behind me.

"Don't turn around." Her voice was soft but urgent. The words came out staccato and quick.

I didn't turn around, but I had to freeze my whole body in order to fight the urge.

"I need your help," she said. Again, her delivery was rhythmically tight, as though interjecting in the brief moments when an observer's ears were blinking.

"I have to get out of here. Can I ride with you?"

I started to turn around.

"No! Not while we're on camera," she hissed. I glanced up with my eyes only, holding very still, and saw that there were, indeed, security cameras in the corners of the store.

"Mine is the old blue-gray Dodge minivan by the pumps," I said. " It's unlocked, but there are probably cameras outside too."

My heart was racing. Why would she be avoiding the cameras? Why was I so willing to help? What if she wanted to rob me? The tension and fear in her voice was apparent, but could it be an act? Who was she? What was going on?

I waited, barely able to focus on anything but my pulsating veins. I was so nervous a new sheet of sweat had formed on my forehead and neck. Someone approached and reached tentatively for the glass door handle in front of me.

"Excuse me," he whispered awkwardly.

I stepped back, casually glancing around. There was no girl. Just the man and a small family milling their way through a nearby candy aisle.

I released a tense sigh and cleared my head. Maybe it was a weird prank. I chuckled to myself, imagining some teenager filming such an encounter on a cell phone and posting it to social media. At least it wasn't more nefarious. Pretty harmless as far as pranks go.

I checked out and exited back out into the sweltering mid-day sun's domain. I rolled my eyes and sighed, dragging my feet across the parking lot. Another four or five hours, I told myself. Then I'll stop for the night. Of course, if I pushed through Arizona I could make it all the way to Las Vegas before it got too late, plus a lot of that driving would be after sundown.

I groaned. Why wasn't I doing more of my driving early in the morning and late at night? Perhaps I felt I deserved my fate.

I climbed back into the van, buckled up, started the engine, and pulled away from the pumps. The moment I entered the ramp for I-40 West, I shook, swerved, and had a heart attack when a voice piped up from the back seat.

"Oh thank you!" She was quiet and pleasant enough, but the possibility of a stowaway was so far from my mind that it took me by complete surprise.

"You were serious!" I yelled, frantically turning around for a look at my new passenger. The vehicle veered dangerously close to the edge of the road and I nearly overcorrected. While I focused on getting back in my lane, the woman climbed up into the passenger seat.

I guessed she was in her late twenties or early thirties, pretty close to my age. She had hair as black as the night pulled back into a single long braid that draped elegantly over a shoulder and got buckled in when she fastened her seat belt. She directed the most magnificent turquoise eyes at me, wearing a massive smile on every muscle in her face.

She let out a giant rush of air, puffing her cheeks out before the powerful grin overwhelmed her features again. Her little button nose crinkled. "Why are you so surprised?" she asked innocently.

"Who are you?" I sputtered, knowing that there were a dozen better questions, and a hundred more appropriate things to say, such as this is not normal behavior!

"I'm Rachel," she said. "What's your name?"

"Kevin," I said slowly, my mind-gears grinding and squealing their way through the situation. "What is going on? You disappeared back there. I didn't think you'd really hitch a ride. Why do you need a ride? Where are you going?" I took a breath, pulling in the reins.

She laughed, a musical sound that filled my ears with joy. "Kevin," she repeated. "Nice to meet you." She turned to face me. "Thank you again," she said. "I couldn't risk being seen on camera with you. I just hope I snuck into your van without it being too obvious."

"Why?" I asked. "Why the secrecy? Are you..." A criminal? I wanted to ask.

She exhaled sharply through her nose and her voice took on a grim, heavy tone. She spoke slowly, laboring her way through the words. "I... don't want to talk about it, yet." She said. "Don't worry though," she said, more animated. "I haven't broken any laws, I promise. I'm just trying to escape a bad situation. I want to start over somewhere new. And I didn't want people thinking you kidnapped me or were in on it."

In on what? I wondered.

I stared at her and my right tire began vibrating violently as it came into contact with the grooves outside my lane. I swerved sharply away from the edge of the road and glanced back at her. "Why me though?" I asked.

She shrugged. "I had a good feeling about you," she said. Then, in an innocent, playfully concerned voice, "was I wrong?"

I chuckled through my nostrils and shook my head. "I have no idea," I said. I looked back in her direction briefly and felt my heart swelling. She had her eyes on me and she was smiling.

"So..." she started, her voice trailing off as she directed her eyes down at her feet. "Are you single?"

I decided we were definitely stopping in a few hours. Las Vegas could wait.

August 03, 2024 20:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

Shirley Medhurst
15:52 Aug 11, 2024

Very enjoyable read, Brian I like the way you built up suspense when the woman makes her ‘unusual’ approach. I still remain intrigued about the situation…. you have the beginnings of a much longer story here 😉 What happens next?

Reply

Brian Haddad
17:58 Aug 11, 2024

I'm such a sucker for romcoms, meetcutes, budding romance... lol I think, at this stage, part of the magic is imagining the rest of the story for ourselves. I would definitely love to come back to the characters and let their story play out more though. 😊 Thank you so much for reading and leaving your thoughts for me. I appreciate you!

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
18:40 Aug 11, 2024

Brilliant! I’d also love to hear your thoughts about my writing too, if you have time….. 😁

Reply

Brian Haddad
19:30 Aug 11, 2024

I've been trying to make more time for reading on here. I'll put you in the queue! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
05:36 Aug 11, 2024

Women's intuition. He appeared to be trustworthy. She seemed more scared of the situation she wanted to get out of than being alone with a stranger. I had to read on. Now I'm wondering what happens next. I'm sure your MC will enjoy having a travel companion. 'My hip joints ached as though each leg had been ripped off and crudely reattached by Doctor Frankenstein.' This sentence hooked me. Maybe the fact he may be limping made her believe he was a safe bet? So many unanswered questions, but a great read.

Reply

Brian Haddad
05:48 Aug 11, 2024

I recently went on a pretty long road trip, about 48 hours of driving spread out over four days. Each day, after around 8 to 10 hours in the driver's seat my hip joints had this intense, dull pain that definitely made me walk awkwardly, maybe even limp sometimes. lol So yeah, that description was my best attempt to describe something I was feeling A LOT recently. 😂 I'm glad I was able to hook you. Thank you so much for the feedback, and I really appreciate you taking the time to read!

Reply

08:38 Aug 11, 2024

No problem. This may sound cheeky, but I really appreciate it when members read mine, too. Thanks for reading and liking mine.

Reply

Brian Haddad
18:01 Aug 11, 2024

I definitely understand! I think it's the best part of this community. I've tried to make sure I read at least one person's story a day and leave a comment, but sometimes life gets busy and I fail on that goal!

Reply

02:02 Aug 12, 2024

LOL. I know that feeling. A month's worth of responsibilities strike in one week. I follow more people than I have clicked to follow, as I feel it is a commitment and sometimes one hasn't got the time.

Reply

Brian Haddad
02:33 Aug 12, 2024

Time is, by far, the most precious and scarce of resources. 😅

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
19:49 Aug 07, 2024

Kevin is a softie, she picked right. :-) You have such a wide variety of stories, 30 and counting and you haven't bored me yet.

Reply

Brian Haddad
19:57 Aug 07, 2024

lol Thanks. I do enjoy variety. It's funny because I have a favorite genre to write in, but very few of my stories are in that genre! And I bet you'd get bored if you saw how many MORE stories I post to my blog. 😂

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:38 Aug 07, 2024

Hint, hint. :-)

Reply

Brian Haddad
21:46 Aug 07, 2024

Definitely not! lol I don't want you getting bored of my writing! You already read SO many stories here on Reedsy. You are surely one of only a handful who are actively helping this place feel like a welcoming, thriving community. I appreciate what you do here. :)

Reply

Trudy Jas
22:08 Aug 07, 2024

Thanks. In that case, go read mine! LOL

Reply

Brian Haddad
22:44 Aug 07, 2024

Link? :)

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:32 Aug 07, 2024

I really like short reads. This one took me for a ride.😉

Reply

Brian Haddad
16:52 Aug 07, 2024

I'm glad it took you for a ride! lol Thanks for reading. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
02:19 Aug 07, 2024

Enjoyed this. Not sure how bad the situation was that Rachel was escaping from, but thought her an adventurous girl to say the least, a risk taker (reminded me a bit of myself in my very dim and distant youth!) Both characters came across as very real and this, like some of your other stories, could easily be an opening chapter to a longer work.

Reply

Brian Haddad
03:13 Aug 07, 2024

Thank you so much for reading, and especially for the kind words. Yes, I pondered what Rachel might be fleeing, and I considered the possibility that she might just be giving a sense of invented urgency to a deeply rooted desire for adventure. lol Not sure what Kevin got himself into here, but it certainly could be fun to explore in further installments if I ever feel like it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
22:31 Aug 05, 2024

Couzy story for easy read. Nice work.

Reply

Brian Haddad
23:36 Aug 05, 2024

Thanks. :) I think an "easy read" is more enjoyable for me to write most of the time. lol Though perhaps "easy read" doesn't always turn out very interesting or engaging. 😅

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
16:45 Aug 04, 2024

Brian, whenever you release something, it's always a quality read. Oh, your rich imagery. Good flow to this one too. Lovely work !

Reply

Brian Haddad
18:09 Aug 04, 2024

Thank you! I've had less time for Reedsy lately with school starting back up for my daughter but I always enjoy reading your work as well. Thanks for taking the time to read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.