2 comments

Adventure Suspense Historical Fiction

“Come on.”I whispered to myself. “You can do this.”

I was outside the library wanting to go in. It was after hours and I really wanted a book. I had meant to go during study hall but I had been texting Sarah. Ugggg. I mean why is this such a big deal? I’m going to go inside, grab the book I want and then leave. Nothing wrong with that. Right? Well anyways I stood outside the library for what seemed like forever and then I came inside. Thank goodness there is no lock on the door. The library was erie at night; the huge shelves cast shadows around the room. I found the light switch and turned on the lights. I went to the section that wanted and grabbed the book I wanted. Suddenly I felt a tingle course through my body.

The next morning I went to the library to read during study hall. When I got there the librarian was looking at the bottom of the shelf right where I had taken the book.

“Good afternoon Ms. Honey. What are you looking for?”I asked.

“Hello dear. I am looking for the book Number the Stars.”

Dang it, that was the book I took last night.

"Oh ok."

I walked away. Later that day I came back and brought the book with me. I went over to the desk.

“Ms. Honey I found the book. Can I check it out?”I asked.

At least this way she wouldn’t know that I took the book and I would still get the book. It’s a win win right? Wrong.

“Oh I’m sorry dear but that is for Emily. She put a hold on the book.”

“Oh ok.”I said.

I left the library and went back to class. Later after school when the library closed I went back. I turned on the lights and found Ms. Honey standing in the middle of the library staring at me.

“I knew you were hiding something.”She said. “Why did you come in after hours?”

“I’m sorry Ms. Honey I needed the book Number the Stars and I was texting during study hall instead of doing work which I should have been doing and so I came in last night and got the book. Then I came back tonight to find a different book since Emily got the other one.” I explained.

“Do you know what lurks in this library after hours? Why do you think it closes right after school?”Ms Honey asked.

“I always thought it was because everyone leaves.”I said.

“No. People stay for after school but I lock it up because dangerous things have happened here. Never come back after hours or something may happen to you.” She warned.

I nodded and ran out of the library. You know how she said bad things happen. Well I’m starting to worry something bad happened to me. You know when I took the book last night? I felt that odd tingle. I think something must have happened then.

When I got home I went to the freezer. That might seem odd but for some reason last night when I went to get ice for my water I could feel the ice calling to me. I have read plenty of fairy tales so I put my hand in front of me and ice shot out of my hand.

“Wow.”I breathed.

Just then something hit me in the back of the head and everything went black. 

“Is she awake?”Someone asked.

The world faded in and out.

“I think she is.”Someone else said. “Are you awake?”

I opened my eyes and all I could see was black.

“Talk if you're awake.”Someone ordered. I thought I recognized the voice but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

I made a noise.

“Good, do you know why you're here?”

“No.”I responded surprised that I could talk.

“You're here because you used ice. Do you know what would happen if you used it?”

“No.”I said again.

“You would take down our organization.”The voice said.

“Well I think someone should if you're kidnapping people.”I snapped.

“Oh really. Then why did you take that book?”

I was about to say I had no idea what they were talking about when I remembered. Number the Stars. Suddenly I knew where I had heard that voice. In videos learning about the nazis. The person talking to me was Adolf Hitler! I was terrified. When suddenly I thought of something.

“What book?”I asked playing dumb. That didn’t work.

“Don’t play dumb!!!” Hitler yelled.

“I’I don’t know what you're talking about.” I stammered still trying to play dumb.

“Yes you do!” Hitler exclaimed.

I took a deep breath. I knew what I had to do but I was afraid. I couldn’t see but that was okay. I began focusing like I had at home when I had gone to the freezer. I didn’t know if I could do it but it was worth a try. I focused on the cold in the air.

“Don’t.” Hitler started.

Too late. I snapped my fingers. I fingered my blindfold until I got it off. I looked at what I had done. Hitler and 4 other Nazis stood frozen. I saw a doorway to my house and I ran though it coming home.

As soon as I got home I asked my mom to drive me to school.

“Why?” She asked.

I made up a random excuse and she took me. I ran to the library and went inside. It was after hours again but I didn’t care. I found Number the Stars and whispered to the book. 

“Please take it back. Please take it back. Please take it back.”

I felt a small tingle through my body. I took a deep breath to test if the power was truly gone. I focused on the cold in the room and snapped my fingers. Nothing happened. 

“Yes!” I exclaimed.

I ran back to the car excited and we drove home. All that drama was over. Finally. And I would never go back to the library after hours ever again.


April 29, 2021 16:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

22:25 Apr 29, 2021

I really liked your story! I think you could've extended the part where she meets Adolf Hitler, because that was like the best part. Great job!

Reply

Caroline Fonteno
22:26 Apr 29, 2021

thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.