32 comments

Thriller Drama

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (2002)

The train rattles past. A subtle reminder of time passing. It shakes the crummy apartment that sits next to the tracks, as a faithful cat to its owner. It shakes the whole building microscopically, but evidently. The glass of water that the daughter grasps in her trembling hand, slips, tumbles and smashes onto the cheap, wooden floor. The impact shatters the glass, crystal-like splinters shoot in every possible direction. An inquisitive sight, perhaps to some, but this just brings tears to the girl's eyes. 

"What have I done?" She thinks to herself, covering her face with jittery hands. "What have I done?" It is the third glass she has smashed today. And her mother has already warned her. Last time the girl had smashed a glass her mother had... Well, let's just say... Let's just say nothing. 

The girl spins around, panicked, searching for something she could use to clean up or cover-up the mess. There used to be a nice lady down the hall that would give her a brush and pan when these kinds of things happened. But she had moved out, not too long ago. All the same, everybody moved out of here. No wonder, it was an unmitigated dump. No one in their right mind would live here. It was more of a stop-off in people's lives, a break, a low-point. But not for her. It was her reality.

The door opens, almost torn from its frame. The girl cowers. Bracing herself. Her mother falls in more than she walks in. Her knuckles, white from supporting herself on the feeble, plastic door handle. Her eyes swivel recklessly across the room before she takes another generous swig from the bottle in her hand. It's the green one, today. Strange, she doesn't buy the green one very often. The green bottle is always code. For bad. For worse. For lousy. Atrocious. No good. When she's got the green one... Then things are bad. 

"Please, Mama." The girl tries to take her mother's hand. "Please, lie down." 

"No!!" Her mother careens dangerously. "Say... Who... The glass? Piece of shit." She raises her hand and tries to slap her daughter across her face. But she doesn't have the momentum or any form of swing and she pathetically misses. The girl’s heart is in her mouth and she can feel a small squirt of a tear roll out.  

"Please Mama." She grips her mother's upper arm. "Please."

"P-Please?" The woman hiccups and giggles hoarsely at the girl. "You think I wanted to be a mo-" She grabs her shaking knees. "A mother?" 

"Mama-" 

"St-Stop calling me that. You m-make me sick." She coughs up a handful of saliva, only stopping to wipe her mouth with the back of her sleeve. Her grey hoodie looks in need of a wash, as well as her face and hair. Oh, her hair. Those long, tangerine locks that could so playfully bounce down her back, if only she would care about them. If only she would care about anything and everything. 

She looks tired. Plum-colored bags of exhaustion. Her eyes rimmed with crimson. Her teeth are chrome. Everything is out of place. She's young but looks old. For the first time, the girl wishes properly, that she would just fade into the back of her mother's head.

And almost as though her mother can read her thoughts, she wraps her fingers around her daughter's throat and holds them there. The mother starts crying, but the girl just stares blankly into her mother's streaming eyes. She doesn't claw at her throat or fight for breath or even open her mouth. She fixes onto the black eyes of her mother and waits. When her final breath leaves, she falls to the floor. 


Daten, Ohio (2020)

The smell of burnt seeps through the air. I don't know what, toast maybe? Burnt things are like that. Smells that have once been distinctive, such as the dewy, lime smell of grass, or the fatty, smokiness of bacon, no longer. One’s you’ll never be able to categorize again. All deduced into one common smell. Burnt.

My eyes flutter open and I raise my head, half asleep, slightly, as though suspended in midair. I grunt. There's a metallic clatter of pans, followed by a yelp and some cursing. I exhale, through my nose, pressing my head firmly back against my pillow, and snuggle into the sheets. But I am awake now and the smell of burnt is well up my nose. My stomach throbs nauseously against the IKEA mattress. Oh, dammit to hell, anyway. 

The mattress creaks and bounces as I hoist myself off and onto the floor. Hands on hips, shoulders slumped, bleary eyes. I look like a mother. Quite parental. Nice, but rough around the edges. Tired mostly. I make my way down the stairs happily whistling. Letting my hand trail along the smooth, whiter-shade-of-pale banister. I follow the smell, opening the door into the kitchen. 

Joe balances two frying pans, in one hand, the other is gingerly spoon-feeding our one-year-old daughter, Lizzy, in her high chair. Our eight-year-old, Olive, sits uninterruptedly in a chair across from her sister, silently reading a book. A small bowl of untouched cereal sits in front of her. I calmly walk into the frantic madhouse, ruffling Olive's hair as I pass, and then I patiently remove the frying pans from Joe's hand. He looks majorly relieved as he pecks the top of my head and sits down at the table to finish feeding Lizzy. He large-scale sucks at cooking, I think, as I empty what I think used to be mushrooms from the pan into the bin. So I refill, with a fresh load of butter and mushrooms.

"Well, good mornin' everyone." I turn around from the stove.  

"Morning, mom," Olive hasn't even looked up from her book. I furrow my eyebrows at Joe. 

"Olive, honey, please put away that book. It's family time." Joe says. She obeys. Family life. The doorbell rings, almost on cue.

"Go get the mail, Olive," I add. She sighs and jumps up from her seat, to skip down the hall. Joe winks at me, as I hear Olive shuffle and bend down to get the post. "What is there?" I holler. 

"Umm... Joyce Adams sent me a birthday invite, Mom." Olive yells, excitedly. 

"That's nice, darling. Anything else?" 

"Some of dad's work crap. Like three letters-" 

"Watch your mouth!" Joe interrupts warns.

"-And there's a letter for you, mom." 

"Yeah?" I ask. "From who?" She saunters back into the kitchen. 

"Someone called Rachel." Joe looks at me.

"Who's Rachel?" He says, unable to hide any of his suspicion. Everyone is looking at me. The only thing that can be heard is the sizzling of the mushrooms in the pan. I don't look up from the mushrooms. I don't move. Then I turn to them. 

"I don't know," I whisper. Then clear my throat. "I don't know who Rachel is." Olive frowns intensely as she hands me the letter. I fast walk towards her feverishly, ripping it open with fidgety fingers. Letters. Printed letters across bleached, white paper. 

Please Mama... 

I plaster on a smile as I crumple and chuck the paper in the bin. 

"I killed her. I killed Rachel. I killed my daughter Rachel." I think as I turn away and back to a pan of burning mushrooms.

June 26, 2020 17:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

Molly Leasure
16:41 Oct 25, 2020

I like the split point of views. There's something creepy about going from the murder in third person to a normal life in first. I half-expected the narrator of the second half to be the daughter, but the fact it was the mother...ew. Creepy. Great job though! Love the creepiness, darkness, blood-chilling. (And I'm going to believe that the daughter is a ghost, because I think that makes the letter all the more satsifying.)

Reply

E. Jude
19:35 Oct 25, 2020

Thanks for the comment! Made me feel nice!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lexi Moreno
06:32 Jul 10, 2020

What an original twist!!

Reply

E. Jude
06:36 Jul 10, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:05 Jul 09, 2020

Wow, that is a chilling story. And the end was totally the opposite of what I was expecting. Loved it.

Reply

E. Jude
21:18 Jul 09, 2020

That's sweet of you. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:47 Jul 09, 2020

Wow...I suspected the twist, but it was well done! I wonder how the letter would have gotten to her from Rachel, if Rachel wasn't alive?

Reply

E. Jude
18:06 Jul 09, 2020

Thanks! It's supposed to be an open end. Either Rachel is a ghost, or unknown to our main character, Rachel's survived...or maybe something else.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathleen March
00:30 Jul 06, 2020

The story seems to split with the second date. Is it Dayton, Ohio? Anyway, the plot is terse and tough. A lot is packed into this. I love the mushroom motif, but wonder if this needs more space in order to get from part 1 to part 2? I sense so much bottled up here. You know how to hook the reader. One thing is to proofread a little more (its vs. it’s, but also a few things don’t sound like English). Nice job!

Reply

E. Jude
08:56 Jul 06, 2020

Hi Kathleen, I am actually mother tongue English, but I'm a younger writer, so sometimes I make slight mistakes (sorry!!). Thanks for your honest, constructive feedback, I will definitely take it into account, the next time I write a story! XElsa

Reply

Kathleen March
13:54 Jul 06, 2020

We always improve with practice, at any age. I know things I wrote ten years ago aren't what I write now. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Forrest Gump
21:12 Jul 05, 2020

Definitely one of your best works! This was very original and made me obsess about the smart storyline. I love the descriptions, momentum, and overall swagger. This one gave me the chills, well done!

Reply

E. Jude
08:59 Jul 06, 2020

Thanks, Forrest for being so invested in my stories!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lindsey W
18:32 Jul 05, 2020

This was so great! I love how you didn't tell us who was narrating the second half of the story until the end!

Reply

E. Jude
21:14 Jul 05, 2020

Thanks, Lindsay, much appreciated!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bryony Stubbs
11:14 Jul 02, 2020

This leaves me with a lot to think about! You put us unknowingly into the head of a murderer - can she ever achieve redemption? Does she even show remorse? She's clearly making her family's lives better now, but is it just that she can live happily now after what she's done? And what led her to the point of unwanted motherhood in the first place - was she truly responsible for those actions? Very interesting! You also have some very nice turns of phrase in here - the description of how all smells lose their uniqueness when burnt I liked e...

Reply

E. Jude
21:20 Jul 05, 2020

Sorry for the late reply! Thanks for your time and effort! The message was from her daughter, but we don't know if she's a ghost or simply still alive, it's meant to be an open end. Also, she wasn't announcing it to her family, so thanks for pointing that out. It was a pleasure that somebody would put so much work, to write such involved feedback. Thanks and take care, Bryony

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
05:50 Jun 30, 2020

This a thrilling story. Everything has been described so well! Keep writing. I would be happy if you check out my new story when free. Have a great day:)

Reply

E. Jude
21:20 Jul 05, 2020

Thanks, and I will ;-) Sorry for the drastically late reply!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Roshna Rusiniya
06:04 Jun 28, 2020

Wow! This was really good. Great job Elsa!

Reply

E. Jude
06:07 Jun 28, 2020

Thanks Roshna, means a lot coming from you. 💚💚 I included you in my bio because you are such a great author and such a big role model and kind person on this website since the beginning. I just thought you should know, may brighten your day a tiny bit.

Reply

Roshna Rusiniya
06:15 Jun 28, 2020

Ah that’s so sweet of you! You are one of the sweetest writers I have come across here, very genuine and selfless. So glad to know that I could influence you in that way! I am touched! Of course you have made my day! Ha ha On a side note, check my latest one when you get time. It’s a sad story. You have been warned! He he. Take care dear!❤️ 🌹

Reply

E. Jude
06:41 Jun 28, 2020

Thanks! and I just read your outstanding story: When Regret Turns To Hope

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
08:23 Jun 27, 2020

Wow...such a thriller story Elsa! I enjoyed reading till the end to know what happens next! It's really good! Keep writing Elsa! :))))

Reply

E. Jude
08:25 Jun 27, 2020

Thanks!! I have really wanted to write a thriller for weeks now, but it never came, and this time it just sort of wrote itself.

Reply

08:32 Jun 27, 2020

I'm glad you wrote it! It's so good! Thank you for sharing Elsa!😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Great story -- chilling and intense with vivid descriptions!

Reply

E. Jude
19:40 Oct 25, 2020

thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessica C
18:49 Jul 27, 2020

Holy hell, Elsa. I am so sorry it took me so long to get to your page. I am officially a fan. This is unbelievably well written and so chilling. I don't even know what to say except well done. WELL DONE!!

Reply

E. Jude
06:37 Jul 28, 2020

Thanks😜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eve Naden
23:34 Jul 20, 2020

Epic twist. My heart was in my mouth the entire time. You draft setting and character with such precision. This story is brilliant!!!

Reply

E. Jude
14:25 Aug 01, 2020

Thanks Eve

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.