0 comments

Gay Fantasy Romance

For thousands of years, humans have been superior. Making movies, taming wild animals, making dreams possible and changing the world. Soon humans got too cocky, changing others into beautiful and different lifeforms. Soon these life forms became more powerful and wiped out the humans. Of course they left things behind like books, history, food and animals but the lifeforms destroyed many buildings to reclaim the forest and become peaceful once again. I am a Strawberry Patch Elf, we were meant to be the superior like humans but we grew up passive and kind farmers. Humans still do exist with elves and other species but they usually work for us, such as trade, agriculture, building, navigating the forest terrain and assassinations ( yes our world is still not fully peaceful ). Yet we still are divided but live under the rules of our species no matter where your village is located. Most of these rules include ‘ no murder ‘, ‘ no killing in other village territories ‘ that sort of thing, especially the Forbidden Laws but I won't go into too much detail. Everyone follows these rules without any drama, but I still question, What should be forbidden? Should we question the ones who claim they are protecting us? Should we question the unknown? Should we even explore it? 


I looked up, hearing footsteps approaching, I couldn't tell if it was one of my five siblings or my dad who had snuck some of the strawberries we picked for a cake. I quickly shove my book and pen under my pillow and smack my head against the bed. I watch the door open and the light slowly illuminate the room from the hallway. My eyes fixed on my brother who had just left the room for a glass of water. His dark brown hair became visible and his pale skin glowed. I’d roll my eyes, grab out my pen and paper again and start to question. I like questioning things, my siblings say why question when we already have all the answers? 


I hear a small tapping on the window, I look up from my book and turn to the window, I slowly pull the pink strawberry curtains and look outside, but nothing. I shrug and turn back to my book. My writing is questionable but I can't see. I heard the tapping noise again, yet it was louder, like yearning for help. I climbed out of my bunk bed, trying not to wake the others and I approached the wardrobe. I Place on a beanie, a pastel yellow jumper, and sneakers and go to leave. I hold the door open, grab my pet duck who was surprisingly quiet tonight, named Morrice, and led him out into the dark world. I gulp and turn down to face my duck. He seems completely unfazed and I tilt my head “ Is this too scary for you? “ The duck turned upwards towards me and bent his neck down, stargazing. I chuckled and looked back towards the forest again. I would grab a flashlight and my strawberry ocarina and I walk deep into the forest. 


The leaves covered the moonlight so my vision was blinded. “ Hello? “ I would call, then play a small tune on the ocarina and look around into the intimidating forest. I hear rustling in the trees and I flinch, I realize it is the wind and I exhale. I looked down at my duck, he seemed fine, a little timid but he was okay. We hear more rustling and I turn my flashlight on the bushes around, I start to pant nervously and I watch my duck quack and run into a bush. “ Morrice! No! Come back! “ I hold my arm out, my flashlight starting to dim, I hold it close and a figure walks out with Morrice in hand.


 A human walks up to me with a smile on his face. “ Hello there Oliver, how is my strawberry patch elf friend going? “ I would smile and punch him in the arm softly. “ Moor’Runner! You gave me a heart attack dude! “ I would laugh. An hour and a half seemed to pass quicker than It should’ve, We found a tree with a great view of the moon and we talked.


“ So, how are you? “ Moor’Runner would smile, fluffing up my neat white hair. 

“ Nothing, I’ve been good, oh! Also remember when I didn't get you your cookie? “ I usually would bring Moor’Runner a sweet treat every time we meet, even if he can't get out of his assassin camp, I usually send a cake instead of a small slice. He would smile and get closer, his eyebrows raised “ Yes? “ I would pull out a slice of strawberry shortcake and a cookie. “ Well you get two now “ He would grab them and lay down on the tree branch “ My only weakness!! Two sweets by my lover! How will I ever live again? “ I would laugh and grab his hand, pulling him back to a sitting position on the dark brown oak. Before I could pull my hand away, he grabbed it and kissed it like I was royalty “ Thank you sir Oliver “ I would go a bit red then try to look posh “ Good manners sir Moor’Runner “ We would laugh and turn back towards the bright moon.

“ Anyways.. How have you been? And I mean like with your mentor and everything “ I would tilt my head awaiting his answer, he barely ever talks about his mentor Gorge’Flight. He is quite abusive towards Moor’Runner and I was generally concerned for his safety. I mean yeah, assassins are meant to be uptight and sly but there is no reason to be mean. He would sigh and look back towards the sky, his legs swaying a little.  

“ Everything's alright at the camp, Gorge’Flight is more pleasant “ He would roll his eyes and I knew he was being sarcastic, for Gorge’Flight to be ‘ pleasant ‘ was a miracle not even god could perform. He would never lose his sense of humour, that's what I loved about him, his spirit never faded. 

“ I’m close to finishing my apprenticeship, and hopefully I’ll get to do my exam by the end of this month. '' He would continue, smiling towards me. I would nod and turn to Morrice, then back to the dimmed light of my village behind me. Moor’Runner would tap my shoulder and I turned to face him, he held out a Sapphire Butterfly pin and smiled. 

“ What's this? “ I would take it and smile in awe and wonder as he leant back and looked towards me 

“ These pins mean luck and love. We always get them when we approach the end of our apprenticeship for the one we think we will spend the rest of our lives with. “ I would turn to him and smile, tears forming in my eyes, I would wrap my arms around him in a hug. “ Don't be scared, I'm not asking you to marry me, it's just you give it to whomever your mentor chooses but I chose you. I love you Oliver “ He would hug me back, he kissed my white snow like hair and smiled, closing his eyes. I would hold up the pin to the rising sun, its blue sapphire wings shone like the majestic ocean itself and the gold accent looked like the sunrise coming over the vast horizon. Moor’Runner leaped down from the tree branch and assisted me down holding my hand. I would smile and pick up Morrice and pull Moor’Runner into one last hug before we needed to get back to our villages, we would wave and walk back returning to our daily day activities exhausted from such a sweet night. 


Finally the sun set over the horizon and I smiled. I would change into warm clothing and head to bed, laying my tired body on the soft and innocent silk. The tapping on the window woke me up and I smiled, snatching my backpack off my bed and grabbed a plate of lamingtons and placed them in the bag, along with my flashlight and ocarina. I would quickly grab the Sapphire Butterfly pin and I would head into the gloomy yet live forest and see Moor’Runner, his shadow visible in the moonlight. I would smile and hug him, kissing him on the cheek, his face looked like he would cry and I tilted my head in confusion and concern sitting him down on the forest floor. 

“ Hey.. what's up? “ I would rub his back trying to be supportive, yet I knew once I heard I would cry. 

“ I found out.. “ He would choke “ Once I become a real assassin.. I have to stay in camp forever, just in case of an ambush and our assassins aren't there to protect the women and children.. I can't see you anymore Oliver.. “ My eyes would widen with fear and I would look up to the moon, I held my arms near crying. I couldn’t believe it, he loved him so much and he knew this was too good to be true.. 

“ Wow… “ I would smile weakly sobbing “ This isn't fair.. “ Moor’Runner would pat my back and wipe a tear from my cheek with his thumb “ The world is not a wish-granting factory.. “ I would look up and smile weakly “ Don't use John Green against me “ I would softly punch him in the arm wondering how he could be positive about this situation. 

“ But, “ he continued. “ We can always change how we react, what we do, this is our story isn’t it? “ My eyes would widen and I would look up to him and I exhaled. I knew what he meant and this would change everything.. I would have to choose between the one I want to spend my life with or the kind and caring family I would leave behind. 


I walked up the mountain just making it past the horizon, my backpack filled with food and supplies. I exhaled and threw my arms open with a wide smile, feeling this nostalgic air again. Moor’Runner would walk up behind me and smile, throwing an arm over my shoulder.

“ It's been a while now since we’ve been here.. How long now? “ He would look at me with a curious look “ About 17 years, and I don't regret a thing “ I would see the Strawberry Patch Village and smile weakly, my clothes a little wet from the lake we had to cross. I would smile and fold my arms and turn to Moor’Runner. 

“ Want to go say hi? Maybe I could make your favourite Strawberry Shortcake again? “ Moor’Runner’s eyes filled with excitement and he nodded vigorously. We would walk down into the village and reach a pale blue wooden house with a pink roof. I would exhale and walk to the door and knock, two elderly elves with white and brown hair answered and I smiled weakly. They gasped, tears forming in the elderly woman's eyes as she held the door open. 

“ Miss me? “ I would smile.


November 18, 2023 04:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.